Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Also, they said they were going to "fist" the NYT.

Full stop.
Corsair

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 pm

I'm assuming she's another one of those annoying Tommy Lauren chicks. Just like Tommy, I'm not going to click on the video to give it another view.
deltbucs

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:50 pm

So we can all assume you won't have an opinion on a video you are willfully ignorant of?
Corsair

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:19 am

Corsair wrote:Seriously?

What is the membership of the NRA? 4+ million? Do you think there are 4M antifa members? Do they have the same platform as the National Rifle Association has? The NRA has pretty much controlled the gun control lobby for over 20 years.

They are threatening violence on a newspaper with a membership that exclusively deals in gun owners.

What does the membership have to do with anything? Is this where we do the comparison of the NRA to the SS?
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:51 am

What is the membership of the NRA? 4+ million? Do you think there are 4M antifa members? Do they have the same platform as the National Rifle Association has? The NRA has pretty much controlled the gun control lobby for over 20 years.

They are threatening violence on a newspaper with a membership that exclusively deals in gun owners.

They've had guns for as long as the NYT has been in print.

It's a membership drive, dude!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:12 am

Stop being a drama queen
HamBone

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:39 am

If legal gun owners in this country were hell-bent on shooting people, I'm sure someone would have noticed by now....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Buc2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:18 am

I'm not exactly sure where to put this...but....you guys all need to apply to Business school at UG

One university professor has proposed a "stress reduction policy" so that his business students can avoid emotional reactions in his classroom.

According to a report from Campus Reform, Dr. Richard Watson set out the policies - including letting students choose their own grades - for two of his fall business courses at University of Georgia.

"Emotional reactions to stressful situations can have profound consequences," he wrote at the top, also explaining that students can take exams using their books, notes and laptop materials.

Furthermore, if a student feels "unduly stressed" by a grade, they can email Watson the grade they think is appropriate and it will be changed.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:26 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I'm not exactly sure where to put this...but....you guys all need to apply to Business school at UG

One university professor has proposed a "stress reduction policy" so that his business students can avoid emotional reactions in his classroom.

According to a report from Campus Reform, Dr. Richard Watson set out the policies - including letting students choose their own grades - for two of his fall business courses at University of Georgia.

"Emotional reactions to stressful situations can have profound consequences," he wrote at the top, also explaining that students can take exams using their books, notes and laptop materials.

Furthermore, if a student feels "unduly stressed" by a grade, they can email Watson the grade they think is appropriate and it will be changed.

Surely that's got to be fake news?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:28 am

sadly a google search confirms the original article i saw on Fox

Fox
Blaze
Campus Reform

Its posted lots of places

we'll see i guess....
Zarniwoop

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am

The Civil Liberties class in my senior year had 4 tests on the semester. Each of them were open book. His reasoning is that, in the real world, you need to know where and how to look up information quickly, not memorize a book.

So, I have no problem with that part of his class.

The "Pick your own grade" and "stress free" ****, however...

Oh, and I had a professor that regularly gave 20 question T/F quizzes. And, if you could score a zero percent, he would give you 200 percent for that day. I felt confident enough to go for it one time and ended up with 5% of the points that day. People actually bitched about this guy promoting gambling. I hope he's still letting people give it an arrogant go.
mightyleemoon

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:54 am

I also don't have a problem with open-book exams.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Grades are microaggressions and therefore deemed offensive. Offensive behavior is not tolerated.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:The Civil Liberties class in my senior year had 4 tests on the semester. Each of them were open book. His reasoning is that, in the real world, you need to know where and how to look up information quickly, not memorize a book.

So, I have no problem with that part of his class.

The "Pick your own grade" and "stress free" ****, however...

Oh, and I had a professor that regularly gave 20 question T/F quizzes. And, if you could score a zero percent, he would give you 200 percent for that day. I felt confident enough to go for it one time and ended up with 5% of the points that day. People actually bitched about this guy promoting gambling. I hope he's still letting people give it an arrogant go.

100% this.

Real world application is knowing how to use the tools you need to accomplish a task. It's far more important for students to know what formula to use rather than the arithmetic itself. Education should have a strong focus on what these tools are and how we use them. The rest is context. Remember quadratic equations? 4 known methods to solve them and any algebra teacher worth their salt will allow students to determine which method works best for them.

We have an education system designed to ultimately create college professors rather than well rounded people who have a skill or two.

I'm going to speculate that this professor is going to absurd lengths to make a point.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby deltbucs » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Buc2 wrote:I also don't have a problem with open-book exams.

Yeah...I wouldn't have a problem with it being "open-Internet". Being in the IT field and doing everything from support to programming, it's not about what you know. It's about being able to find the information that you need.
deltbucs

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:40 pm

deltbucs wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I also don't have a problem with open-book exams.

Yeah...I wouldn't have a problem with it being "open-Internet". Being in the IT field and doing everything from support to programming, it's not about what you know. It's about being able to find the information that you need.

I couldn't even tell you how much code I've lifted from a google search and manipulated to fit our needs. The people contributing at places like Stack Overflow should get half of my salary.
mightyleemoon

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:02 pm

I can tell you one year I had the final in Operations Mgmt be closed book, the next year I used the same exact exam and did open book and grades went down by something like 8%.

Too many students just figured they could look up answers and didn't study apparently. And you simply don't have enough time to do that
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I can tell you one year I had the final in Operations Mgmt be closed book, the next year I used the same exact exam and did open book and grades went down by something like 8%.

Too many students just figured they could look up answers and didn't study apparently. And you simply don't have enough time to do that

Tell them it's closed book this time and then tell them it's open book right before finals. See what happens.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Interesting.

I just might do that

I see a paper out of this :)

I'll put you in a footnote !!
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Interesting.

I just might do that

I see a paper out of this :)

I'll put you in a footnote !!

Big bold letters on the Syllabus. CLOSED BOOK FINAL
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:13 pm

How do I get them to bring their books (many ebooks on computers) the day of the exam?
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Rant follows:

**** you, State of Florida. If you want to tax Jet fuel sold for ground equipment, that's fine. Tax it. IDGAF. I'm an accountant and I'll pay it. HOWEVER, you motherfuckers need to redesign your goddamned method for filing. If I sold 5,328 gallons of ground support fuel just let me tell you that I sold 5,328 gallons of ground support fuel. I do not need to write ****ing code for your shitty computer to understand that. If you had me file my Sales and Use tax that way, you'd have every Chamber of Commerce in the state banging down your door. Fix your stupid-ass computer!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:15 pm

So you're saying government is inefficient?

Hmmmmm....

:P
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:So you're saying government is inefficient?

Hmmmmm....

:P

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. It only affects FBO's like me who sell jet fuel to the public. The tax itself is a drop in the bucket, I think it was a whopping $53 last month. Literally every other tax I pay to the state can be filed in 10 minutes. This one is going to take me the rest of today and part of tomorrow.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Sounds like a tax that should just be eliminated

Pain in the butt to file and process, little revenue
Zarniwoop

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:How do I get them to bring their books (many ebooks on computers) the day of the exam?

Tell them there will be a 2 minute, 5 question quiz prior to the exam. If the class scores an aggregate score of X%, then the exam will be open book.

Then, day of, say "Ah, nevermind the quiz. It's just open book."
mightyleemoon

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 pm

I feel you pain, MB. While my company has no office, warehouse or employees in the state of Alabama, we do make deliveries to that state with our own trucks and drivers out of our Atlanta branch. No one in the entire state of Alabama cares about that except for the city of Birmingham. So each month, our Atlanta ops manager has to compile and send me a list of each driver that made a delivery to Birminghim with the date and the amount of time the driver spent within the Birmingham city limits. I take that info, couple it with info I collect from our payroll dept. (total hrs worked by the driver, pay rate, etc.), fill out an occupation tax form and send it to the city of Birmingham each month. So, what's the average amount of tax they collect from us for this? A whopping $1.21. $1.21. That is the average we've paid per month over the past 12 months. It costs us more in labor cost to report this than our liability over the last 12 months combined. It's ridiculous.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:How do I get them to bring their books (many ebooks on computers) the day of the exam?

Tell them there will be a 2 minute, 5 question quiz prior to the exam. If the class scores an aggregate score of X%, then the exam will be open book.

Then, day of, say "Ah, nevermind the quiz. It's just open book."

I was going to go with 5 or 10 points on the final is if they bring their books in. Maybe under some guise of to see if they actually got the book and if they have used it.
PanteraCanes

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 am

I had a professor do this while I was in school. They told us that they weren't able to cover one thing that was on the test and that it was explained really well in the book. He said for everyone to bring their books to the exam and right before the exam he would show us in the book and explain. When class started he gave us the exam and told us it was open book. About 1/3 of the class did not bring their book.
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion