Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:45 pm

The response to an attempt to sue John Oliver by a trigger Republican Coal Baron:

Corsair

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 am

So what does everyone think about Trump's new immigration proposal? Xenophobic, ethnocentric racism or simple common sense?

I imagine most of these English speaking, highly-skilled immigrants would be coming from places like Asia and India so I don't agree with the Left's portrayal of the proposal but I would be interested in hearing arguments attempting to illuminate how Ted Kennedy's 1965 immigration act makes so much sense that we should leave it unaltered for another 50 years.

Of course, I see no way this can pass unless we undo the 60-vote Senate threshold. You know if the Dems seize control of the Senate in a year and a half Shumer will change this rule immediately, citing the clear and present danger of Trump.
Brazen331

Postby Corsair » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:41 am

Brazen331 wrote:You know if the Dems seize control of the Senate in a year and a half Shumer will change this rule immediately, citing the clear and present danger of Trump.

Imagine the outrage if a political party destroyed the 60 vote threshold!

They would be held SO accountable!

::faints::
Corsair

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:15 am

Corsair wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:You know if the Dems seize control of the Senate in a year and a half Shumer will change this rule immediately, citing the clear and present danger of Trump.

Even if, it still would not be enough. Sweet little Lindsey Graham is already trashing the proposal, arguing that this will encourage more illegal immigration.

I guess if a couple hundred thousand less people get green cards every year, they will all just fly to Mexico and sneak across the border. Makes sense. And the Mav will be against it just to spite Trump. Your concern over his Obamacare vote was such a waste of time.

I guess we will always be accepting nothing but ignoramuses and people who cannot support themselves, Good for the Dems I guess. Merit-based system...The Horror, The Horror.
Brazen331

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:10 am

Brazen331 wrote:So what does everyone think about Trump's new immigration proposal? Xenophobic, ethnocentric racism or simple common sense?

I imagine most of these English speaking, highly-skilled immigrants would be coming from places like Asia and India so I don't agree with the Left's portrayal of the proposal but I would be interested in hearing arguments attempting to illuminate how Ted Kennedy's 1965 immigration act makes so much sense that we should leave it unaltered for another 50 years.

Of course, I see no way this can pass unless we undo the 60-vote Senate threshold. You know if the Dems seize control of the Senate in a year and a half Shumer will change this rule immediately, citing the clear and present danger of Trump.

its fantastic and a damn shame it won't pass.
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:25 am

Corsair wrote:

Dems won't get control of the Senate in 2018. They have 25 seats up for grabs compared to 8 GOP seats.

2020 could be a different story tho.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:So what does everyone think about Trump's new immigration proposal? Xenophobic, ethnocentric racism or simple common sense?

its fantastic and a damn shame it won't pass.

According to CNN, speaking english is racist and poems are law.

Immigration is an issue Dems lose on because the far left moonbats do all the talking and they are willfully clueless on the issue.

Most people are fine with immigration reform that makes sense. This RAISE Act seems very logical in putting the needs American workers and skilled immigrants. Almost as if the bill is looking out for the best interest of our Country.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:33 am

Apart from the English speaking thing, the act not only seems reasonable but a very good thing for America
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Apart from the English speaking thing, the act not only seems reasonable but a very good thing for America

Which is how you know it won't pass. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 am

Sadly you are probably right
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:23 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Apart from the English speaking thing, the act not only seems reasonable but a very good thing for America

It's not a requirement and green cards will still be disturbed to non-english speaking people. This just incentivizes learning english for immigrants who want to live in America (i.e. improves their odds of getting a green card). Let's assume there are two immigrants applying for a green card and we can only accept one of them. They are equal in every measure except that one can speak English and the other can't. Wouldn't the capability to speak English make one a more qualified candidate over the other?

There are close to 60 countries where english is one of the official languages including most of the countries that comprise the United Nations. This talking point screams of leftist identity politics.

I guess I just don't understand how incentivising learning the language of the county you're trying to migrate to can be implied as racist. Doesn't it make more sense from an immigration and societal perspective to have people migrating into America make an effort to learn english so they have better odds and successfully assimilating as opposed to have society adjust to those that are either unwilling or incapable of learning english?
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:11 am

I'd prefer the one that can speak SQL...
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:36 am

DreadNaught wrote:

It's not a requirement and green cards will still be disturbed to non-english speaking people. This just incentivizes learning english for immigrants who want to live in America (i.e. improves their odds of getting a green card). Let's assume there are two immigrants applying for a green card and we can only accept one of them. They are equal in every measure except that one can speak English and the other can't. Wouldn't the capability to speak English make one a more qualified candidate over the other?

There are close to 60 countries where english is one of the official languages including most of the countries that comprise the United Nations. This talking point screams of leftist identity politics.

I guess I just don't understand how incentivising learning the language of the county you're trying to migrate to can be implied as racist. Doesn't it make more sense from an immigration and societal perspective to have people migrating into America make an effort to learn english so they have better odds and successfully assimilating as opposed to have society adjust to those that are either unwilling or incapable of learning english?

I just don't see the need for it...particularly if we are already emphasizing talented workers...they will clearly have the ability, not to mention the incentive, to learn English.

Again, I don't think this additional preference ruins the bill or makes it racist...I just don't see the need for it.

Overall, its still a very solid thing for the American people.
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:38 am

bucfanclw wrote:I'd prefer the one that can speak SQL...

As would I. Which is the more important aspect of the bill that should be talked about (i.e. skilled immigrants).

I'd prefer a green card be given to skilled and educated non-english speaking immigrant who is ready to join the workforce and contribute to the economy instead of unskilled immigrant with no education that just happens to know english.

Not speaking english has never been a disqualifier for getting a green card and that isn't changing. Having the green card process centered around meritocracy benefits the country more than the current process. If people don't agree with that statement I'm certainly open to understand the opposing POV. If we're going to have system that provides merit to skills deemed valuable to being a green card holder shouldn't speaking the language be one of many skills that fall into that category? Put simply, speaking English should be view as a positive trait when it comes to immigration, just like being educated and/or having skill that would enable you to join the workforce. I agree the latter should weighted more heavily and that certainly isn't my argument. But I don't think the ability to speaking English should have zero value either.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 am

DreadNaught wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:I'd prefer the one that can speak SQL...

As would I. Which is the more important aspect of the bill that should be talked about (i.e. skilled immigrants).

I'd prefer a green card be given to skilled and educated non-english speaking immigrant who is ready to join the workforce and contribute to the economy instead of unskilled immigrant with no education that just happens to know english.

Not speaking english has never been a disqualifier for getting a green card and that isn't changing. Having the green card process centered around meritocracy benefits the country more than the current process. If people don't agree with that statement I'm certainly open to understand the opposing POV. If we're going to have system that provides merit to skills deemed valuable to being a green card holder shouldn't speaking the language be one of many skills that fall into that category? Put simply, speaking English should be view as a positive trait when it comes to immigration, just like being educated and/or having skill that would enable you to join the workforce. I agree the latter should weighted more heavily and that certainly isn't my argument. But I don't think the ability to speaking English should have zero value either.

Nothing is changing because the Senate won't pass this bill.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Corsair » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm

For all you "Susan Rice Unmasking" lap dogs:

Corsair

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:As would I. Which is the more important aspect of the bill that should be talked about (i.e. skilled immigrants).

You are right about that. Elements of the Republican Party, Chamber of Commerce, cough cough, will be even more adamantly against it than the left.

But as far as 2018 goes, Democrats will be digging a deeper hole for themselves with this stance: this will only further alienate the Democrat Party from its traditional blue-collar base. I never thought I'd see so many people who live paycheck to paycheck, who have no pensions, no fat yearly bonuses, without a pot to piss in basically, supporting an entitled billionaire over Democrats. That's identity politics for you.

Presidents always lose ground in Congress when the midterms roll around, this looks like a way to minimize losses and prevent another '94.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

You are right about that. Elements of the Republican Party, Chamber of Commerce, cough cough, will be even more adamantly against it than the left.

But as far as 2018 goes, Democrats will be digging a deeper hole for themselves with this stance: this will only further alienate the Democrat Party from its traditional blue-collar base. I never thought I'd see so many people who live paycheck to paycheck, who have no pensions, no fat yearly bonuses, without a pot to piss in basically, supporting an entitled billionaire over Democrats. That's identity politics for you.

Presidents always lose ground in Congress when the midterms roll around, this looks like a way to minimize losses and prevent another '94.

Bahaha!

Way to spin it. The opposition party almost always makes gains in midterm elections.

You're walking into the line that gets peddled by the incumbent party every two years. Don't worry, I've been there too. I can assure you that you will be proven wrong most of the time.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:48 pm

John Kelly continues to clean house:

Trump adviser Sebastian Gorka to leave the White House
http://www.latimes.com/politics/washing ... soc_trk=tw

An adviser to President Trump will be leaving the White House.

A senior administration official says Sebastian Gorka, a former counterterrorism analyst for Fox News who joined the administration as a counterterrorism adviser, will be leaving the White House in the coming days.

The official says that Gorka had initially been hired to play a key role on the Strategic Initiatives Group, an advisory panel created by Trump's chief strategist Steve Bannon to run parallel to the National Security Council.

But that group fizzled out in the early months of the administration. Gorka was unable to get clearance for the National Security Council after he was charged last year with carrying a weapon at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

The official spoke anonymously to discuss private personnel matters. Attempts to reach Gorka by email for comment were not immediately successful.
Corsair

Postby Corsair » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Ezra Cohen-Watnick also out.

(The guy who Flynn hired to the NSC who leaked documents to Devin Nunes (fat John Oliver) re: the fake Susan Rice fiasco)

There appears to be a strong online bot effort to discredit McMaster as well right now. We should expect the usual cast of characters to start pimping that angle soon.
Corsair

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Bahaha!

Way to spin it. The opposition party almost always makes gains in midterm elections.

You're walking into the line that gets peddled by the incumbent party every two years. Don't worry, I've been there too. I can assure you that you will be proven wrong most of the time.

I'm not sure what you mean here, maybe I didn't express myself the way I meant. I know the Dems will gain house seats, that's a given. I think what Trump did with immigration, his interaction with Vets and their healthcare today, is political in that he is trying to hold the house.

If he does not, he is in deep ****. I think if the Dems were smart, they would force Pelosi out right now so they have a shot to take it. This woman is too unpopular to think this nation is clamoring to give her the gavel. Seriously, drop this bitch like a bad habit if you want to win.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:04 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Bahaha!

I'm not sure what you mean here, maybe I didn't express myself the way I meant. I know the Dems will gain house seats, that's a given. I think what Trump did with immigration, his interaction with Vets and their healthcare today, is political in that he is trying to hold the house.

If he does not, he is in deep ****. I think if the Dems were smart, they would force Pelosi out right now so they have a shot to take it. This woman is too unpopular to think this nation is clamoring to give her the gavel. Seriously, drop this bitch like a bad habit if you want to win.

Had this very same discussion with a buddy of mine, right after the Georgia election a few weeks back.

Even for those of us who identify as "liberal" (depending on the issue) know that Pelosi...and other, far-far-left liberals, don't play well with the majority of the "left". They are like many of you "Alt-Conservatives"...a minority within your own party. Opening her fat mouth, probably cost the Dems that Georgia election. Her type DEFINITELY does not play well in the south and will cost more votes than win...as it did in Georgia.

Personally, I can't ****ing stand Pelosi and completely agree that dumping her crazy ass would give the Dems a MUCH BETTER shot at states like FLA/OH/MICH. Basically anywhere that isn't nut-bag California. It's pretty telling that the right can't even focus on Pelosi's ridiculousness because her idiocy get's trumped by...well...Trump.

All that said...Trump by any discernable measure, is a ****ing shit-show. Personally, I'd keep him right where he is. He's a buffoon masquerading as a "leader". Watching the Republican, congressional leadership (and rank and file) have to dance around his bullshit is hilarious. The Tea Party successfully infiltrated the Republican Party and now the 'Pubs are paying the price.

Good times....
Alpha

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:50 pm

WTF? Did she just say what I think she said?

What ****ing world is this?

This is not normal.
Corsair

Postby HamBone » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Corsair wrote:WTF? Did she just say what I think she said?

What ****ing world is this?

This is not normal.

What do you think she said?
HamBone

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:45 pm

You tell me

Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 pm

So some bitchy chick has a problem with the NYT.

So what?

SDBucs has said dumber **** than that right here. Clenched fist? Yeah, that's been used by just about every movement in history. Fascists, communists, black power, the All Valley Full Contact Karate tournament and AC/DC fans.

Big deal.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 pm

It's one in a series of NRA videos.

The National Rifle Association is threatening a newspaper with the words "We are coming for you".

That is a little inflammatory. It's setting the stage for violence.

Watch the video before you comment. Maybe something will jump out at you.
Last edited by Corsair on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corsair

Postby WalterGronkite » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm

That's a little over the top, but NY times shady as **** paper. Mexican Billionare Carlos Slim owns majority of it. Made millions off obamas stupid ObamaPhone bullshit. Big democrat downer. Should investigate all these corrupt fuckers.
WalterGronkite

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Corsair wrote:It's one in a series of NRA videos.

The National Rifle Association is threatening a newspaper with the words "We are coming for you".

That is a little inflammatory. It's setting the stage for violence.

Watch the video before you comment.

You're assuming people only started talking **** 7 months ago.

We have wannabe Che's out there on Reddit talking about killing the bourgeois and hanging them from the lampposts on Wall street if you want to talk about inflammatory.

On the left there's a difference between wanting an equitable distribution of wealth and those antifa faggots who make us all look like lunatics.

On the right there's a difference between wanting to make real the Leave it to Beaver "traditional America" where honest people make an honest living and the Info Wars faggots who make us all look like lunatics.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Seriously?

What is the membership of the NRA? 4+ million? Do you think there are 4M antifa members? Do they have the same platform as the National Rifle Association has? The NRA has pretty much controlled the gun control lobby for over 20 years.

They are threatening violence on a newspaper with a membership that exclusively deals in gun owners.
Corsair

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion