Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
post

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:That's a "**** you, got mine" mentality and you're a better man than that.

Every dad out there wants their kids to have the best of everything. We bust our asses, pay taxes, go into debt, and sacrifice to that end. But not everybody pulls it off. I lost money when my mother died. When my Dad dies, I'll get his and my grandfather's flags and a few boxes of knick knacks.

I don't begrudge or envy your daughter because she's going to fare better. I'm happy for her. So much so that I am perfectly content with her receiving $5.49 million dollars tax free of her Dad's wealth. But yeah, I do expect your estate to be taxed for any amount over that and yet still, after the tax has been paid, she could potentially receive even MORE. Never to be taxed again until she passes herself.



Lol at the sanctimonious BS that I’m a better man than that. I guarantee you I donate far more money then you do. In addition in my consulting work I donate 250 hrs per year to local charitires (mostly North Texas Food Bank and St Vincent). I chose to work at a religious university that requires 50 hours of pro bono service in the local community.

But I’m all about “getting mine” right?

sigh....

we'll talk later.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 pm

So a guy like Trump, who admitted to not paying taxes on his income, is trying to make sure his kids also don't have to pay taxes on that income because they need to have that extra money to hire cheap labor on H-2B visas since they also refuse to pay a fair wage?

Those poor souls. We have to make sure this whole trickle down thing works. Is there a way we can just increase middle class taxes to make sure their roads, utilities, police, fire department, etc are paid for them? The only way to ensure the success of our economy is to keep them as rich as possible.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

Lol at the sanctimonious BS that I’m a better man than that. I guarantee you I donate far more money then you do. In addition in my consulting work I donate 250 hrs per year to local charitires (mostly North Texas Food Bank and St Vincent). I chose to work at a religious university that requires 50 hours of pro bono service in the local community.

But I’m all about “getting mine” right?

sigh....

we'll talk later.


MB. You still haven't provided a good reason why that money should be taxed again. Just because is good enough?
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 2296
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:sigh....

we'll talk later.


MB. You still haven't provided a good reason why that money should be taxed again. Just because is good enough?

Because it's income.

Income with a $5.49 million dollar exemption I might add, but apparently that's still too much of a tax to put on unearned income..
Last edited by Mountaineer Buc on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 pm

"A power to dispose of estates for ever is manifestly absurd. The earth and the fulness of it belongs to every generation, and the preceding one can have no right to bind it up from posterity. Such extension of property is quite unnatural."

-Thomas Jefferson, echoing the beliefs of Adam Smith

But what do those guys know, right?
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Smith never condoned an estate tax. In that part of the book he is describing how societies have used them.


But I’ll tell you what, since you seem to be accepting Jefferson and Smith’s authority....I will gladly accept your reading of Smith if you take all the rest of it as well. Same with Jefferson
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:46 pm

“The death of a father, to such of his children as live in the same house with him, is seldom attended with any increase, and frequently with a considerable diminution of revenue, by the loss of his industry, of his office, or of some life-rent estate of which he may have been in possession.

That tax would be cruel and oppressive which aggravated their loss by taking from them any part of his succession. It may, however, sometimes be otherwise with those children who, in the language of the Roman law, are said to be emancipated; in that of the Scotch law, to be forisfamiliated; that is, who have received their portion, have got families of their own, and are supported by funds separate and independent of those of their father. Whatever part of his succession might come to such children would be a real addition to their fortune, and might therefore, perhaps, without more inconveniency than what attends all duties of this kind, be liable to some tax.”

So Adam Smith viewed someone that is not a dependent child as capable to support themselves and therefore succession would be an accumulation of wealth and as such should be taxed.

OK, I still agree with him.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Since we're throwing around Adam Smith quotes.

Image


but it's theft tho.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm

We have a progressive tax rate



You guys need to actually read Smith ... you’d be surprised what he really said rather than internet memes and quotes. It is a heady book though ... I know MB will be able to muster through it, I’m not sure about Clewi

:P

As I have posted many times on here, you will be surprised just how accurately he predicted what would happen 250 years later

To truly understand WoN though you have to read his earlier work on morality ... theory of moral sentiments. That part I don’t think you guys will like so much
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:10 pm

I never thought I’d see the day when two ultra progressives wanted to follow Smiths guidelines. As I said earlier, if you believe him an authority, then let’s implement everything he talked about. I’d be happy to make a few concessions in areas I disagree with him on in order to get the rest of it.

But I’m guessing you guys are more interested in playing a game of “gotcha” rather than actually learning about what his true underlying philosophy is

But that game is fun too I suppose.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:32 pm

So two GOP Senators have "decided" not to run for re-election in 2018. Bob Corker-TN and Jeff Flake-AZ were both struggling in the polls within their own primary partially due to their public spats with Trump that apparently alienated some primary voters in those states. .

Fwiw Bannon predicted this would happen over a month ago.

The GOP currently holds a 52-48 majority in the Senate. In '18 there are 25 Democrats up for re-election (10 in states Trump won by over 10%) while the GOP has 8 Senators up for re-election (including Corker's and Flake's seats)
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 9091
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 369 times
Been thanked: 366 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I never thought I’d see the day when two ultra progressives wanted to follow Smiths guidelines. As I said earlier, if you believe him an authority, then let’s implement everything he talked about. I’d be happy to make a few concessions in areas I disagree with him on in order to get the rest of it.

But I’m guessing you guys are more interested in playing a game of “gotcha” rather than actually learning about what his true underlying philosophy is

But that game is fun too I suppose.

I'm game for such a discussion. However, just because he's AN authority, doesn't make him THE authority.

Plenty of ideas over the successive 240+ years to throw around.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Doesnt the death tax apply to land also?
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 pm

DreadNaught wrote:So two GOP Senators have "decided" not to run for re-election in 2018. Bob Corker-TN and Jeff Flake-AZ were both struggling in the polls within their own primary partially due to their public spats with Trump that apparently alienated some primary voters in those states. .

Fwiw Bannon predicted this would happen over a month ago.

The GOP currently holds a 52-48 majority in the Senate. In '18 there are 25 Democrats up for re-election (10 in states Trump won by over 10%) while the GOP has 8 Senators up for re-election (including Corker's and Flake's seats)


Thats lobbyists paying somebody to quit their job.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I never thought I’d see the day when two ultra progressives wanted to follow Smiths guidelines. As I said earlier, if you believe him an authority, then let’s implement everything he talked about. I’d be happy to make a few concessions in areas I disagree with him on in order to get the rest of it.

But I’m guessing you guys are more interested in playing a game of “gotcha” rather than actually learning about what his true underlying philosophy is

But that game is fun too I suppose.

His true underlying philosophy was related to a competitive market that we keep moving away from as a result of deregulation and laws meant to create an unbalanced playing field. Meanwhile, guys like you keep harping that the biggest beneficiaries of this system are the ones that need the biggest breaks in the form of even more deregulation and tax cuts in order to support a pipe dream that those moves will somehow stimulate the economy regardless of the fact that you have no evidence to support that argument.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:10 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Doesnt the death tax apply to land also?



Yes



What’s crazy is that under our current tax policy, if A wealthy person goes to Vegas and blows all their wealth on hookers, gambling and booze, their income isn’t taxed a 2nd time.


But if they do a responsible thing like saving it for their kids, it is.


What a great incentive to be a steward!!!
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:16 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I never thought I’d see the day when two ultra progressives wanted to follow Smiths guidelines. As I said earlier, if you believe him an authority, then let’s implement everything he talked about. I’d be happy to make a few concessions in areas I disagree with him on in order to get the rest of it.

But I’m guessing you guys are more interested in playing a game of “gotcha” rather than actually learning about what his true underlying philosophy is

But that game is fun too I suppose.

His true underlying philosophy was related to a competitive market that we keep moving away from as a result of deregulation and laws meant to create an unbalanced playing field. Meanwhile, guys like you keep harping that the biggest beneficiaries of this system are the ones that need the biggest breaks in the form of even more deregulation and tax cuts in order to support a pipe dream that those moves will somehow stimulate the economy regardless of the fact that you have no evidence to support that argument.


Ive never made the argument you say I am making...but go ahead and play out that discussion filling in both roles if you want, it’s somethung you seem to enjoy given how often you partake. I’m happy to read along , I’m sure I’ll get a kick out of it...as will others
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:His true underlying philosophy was related to a competitive market that we keep moving away from as a result of deregulation and laws meant to create an unbalanced playing field. Meanwhile, guys like you keep harping that the biggest beneficiaries of this system are the ones that need the biggest breaks in the form of even more deregulation and tax cuts in order to support a pipe dream that those moves will somehow stimulate the economy regardless of the fact that you have no evidence to support that argument.


Ive never made the argument you say I am making...but go ahead and play out that discussion filling in both roles if you want, it’s somethung you seem to enjoy given how often you partake. I’m happy to read along , I’m sure I’ll get a kick out of it...as will others

Am I wrong about his underlying philosophy? I ask because I believe in competitive markets leading to the success of our economy. That's why I wanted to keep Trump as far from the presidency as possible.
User avatar
bucfanclw
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: I'm told Clewiston
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 131 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:12 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:
Ive never made the argument you say I am making...but go ahead and play out that discussion filling in both roles if you want, it’s somethung you seem to enjoy given how often you partake. I’m happy to read along , I’m sure I’ll get a kick out of it...as will others

Am I wrong about his underlying philosophy? I ask because I believe in competitive markets leading to the success of our economy. That's why I wanted to keep Trump as far from the presidency as possible.



Yes ... people acting in their own best interest with as little outside influence is the most efficient way to allocate goods.
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Note that there isn't a single socialist in this discussion.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Rocker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:10 pm

deltbucs wrote:
RedLeader wrote:
Hey, Delt found Corsair!

So that's what you took away from that, huh?


I tather enjoyed the comic.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Who are you using in Dallas? I’m in Dallas as well.



Pennywise.


Their current posted rate is about 11 cents. I negotiated mine about a year and a half ago. I basically just had them in a bidding war with TXU. It took about five cold in total but it has been well worth it.


Thanks. I’ll look into them.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 5864
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:58 pm

The people for this tax dont understand they will never be part of any benefits from it. Maybe a cookie or two but thats it. They seize that land that been in the family 200 years and then sell it to a Chinese business man.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 pm

mdb1958 wrote:The people for this tax dont understand they will never be part of any benefits from it. Maybe a cookie or two but thats it. They seize that land that been in the family 200 years and then sell it to a Chinese business man.

Seems to me like you have it all figured out.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:55 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:The people for this tax dont understand they will never be part of any benefits from it. Maybe a cookie or two but thats it. They seize that land that been in the family 200 years and then sell it to a Chinese business man.

Seems to me like you have it all figured out.


If Soros died I dont think his taxes would be paid.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Rocker wrote:
deltbucs wrote:So that's what you took away from that, huh?


I tather enjoyed the comic.





Correct spelling for TATHER
We think the word tather is a misspelling. It could be just an incorrect spelling of the words which are suggested below. Review the list and pick the word which you think is the most suitable. For your convenience, we put a definition below each word.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:The people for this tax dont understand they will never be part of any benefits from it. Maybe a cookie or two but thats it. They seize that land that been in the family 200 years and then sell it to a Chinese business man.

Seems to me like you have it all figured out.

I know your motives are pure MB and you are not in it for the cookies.
Brazen331
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:25 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Seems to me like you have it all figured out.

I know your motives are pure MB and you are not in it for the cookies.

Oatmeal raisin cookies done right are better than sex.
Image
User avatar
Mountaineer Buc
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 484 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I’m not taking it to any kind of absurd position. The income was taxed ... people should be able to spend their money however they want without it being taxed again


Under your theory then once I am taxed on my income and I pay my employees they should not have to pay taxes on it again because it was already taxed once when I took it as income.

Your child did not earn that money so when you leave it to them, it is new income. And thus they should have to pay taxes on it as new income, because it is.
User avatar
Babeinbucland
 
Posts: 3854
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 102 times
Been thanked: 100 times

Re: Random Political News

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:I know your motives are pure MB and you are not in it for the cookies.

Oatmeal raisin cookies done right are better than sex.

You've obviously never had sex with a Latin woman.
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 2368
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 140 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Politics and Religion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests