Random Political News

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Random Political News

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Do we have a consensus in this forum that the President has at the very least been underwhelming in the job thus far?

I ain't even trying to bash the guy, but he's not exactly killing it up there.

I think there are only 3 posters who would say otherwise.

It could have been worse and I actually thought it was going to be, but it still has not been good.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 pm

NYBF wrote:Image

You should check the @Patriots twitter.

So sad how people have lost any sense of objectivity.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Do we have a consensus in this forum that the President has at the very least been underwhelming in the job thus far?

I think underwhelming is fair to this point. He has some things working against him but that is another conversation.

An underwhelming Trump is still better than Hillary's best to me and many others.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

I think underwhelming is fair to this point. He has some things working against him but that is another conversation.

An underwhelming Trump is still better than Hillary's best to me and many others.

Agreed

I'm disappointed it's not better, but thankful it's not what would likely to have happened otherwise

The good

1.). Most of his appointees and their work and/or potential work...Sec of State, Sec of defense, SCOTUS

2.). EO on regulation

3.). Hiring freeze & budget cuts

The bad

1.). Travel ban

2.). Approach to dismantling Obamacare

3.). Tweeting like a petulant child

Jury still out

1.). Tax revisions/plans

2.). Evidence he used to act on Syrian bombing

3.). Larger immigration plan
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am

The Trump presidency has been mockumentary level bad on almost every level. I didn't think that needed to be said, but...
Ken Carson

Postby NYBF » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Cool. I count 50 people on the stairs in 2015. And 70 in the center. And in 2017 55 people total. So sad how people have lost any ability to count.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 am

NYBF wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Cool. I count 50 people on the stairs in 2015. And 70 in the center. And in 2017 55 people total. So sad how people have lost any ability to count.

On the 2017 photo, I count about 50 people in the center and at least 30 that are in the frame at the bottom. Could be more. It's hard to tell. And there's definitely no way of knowing how many are out of the frame at the bottom.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 am

A cost of corporate greed?

General Motors says Venezuela illegally seizes auto plant

Reuters ReutersApril 20, 2017

CARACAS (Reuters) - General Motors said on Wednesday that Venezuelan authorities had illegally seized its plant in the industrial hub of Valencia and vowed to "take all legal actions" to defend its rights.

The seizure comes amid a deepening economic crisis in leftist-led Venezuela that has already roiled many U.S. companies.

"Yesterday, GMV's (General Motors Venezolana) plant was unexpectedly taken by the public authorities, preventing normal operations. In addition, other assets of the company, such as vehicles, have been illegally taken from its facilities," the company said in a statement.

It said the seizure would cause irreparable damage to the company, its 2,678 workers, its 79 dealers and to its suppliers.

Venezuela's Information Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for information.

Venezuela's car industry has been in freefall, hit by a lack of raw materials stemming from complex currency controls and stagnant local production, and many plants are barely producing at all.

In early 2015, Ford Motor Co wrote off its investment in Venezuela when it took an $800 million pre-tax writedown.

The country's economic crisis has hurt many other U.S. companies, including food makers and pharmaceutical firms. A growing number are taking their Venezuelan operations out off their consolidated accounts.

Venezuela's government has taken over factories in the past. In 2014 the government announced the "temporary" takeover of two plants belonging to U.S. cleaning products maker Clorox Co which had left the country.

Venezuela faces around 20 arbitration cases over nationalizations under late leader Hugo Chavez.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 am

given Venezuala's history of nationalizing private foreign firms (e.g. Exxon, etc)....anyone stupid enough to do business there deserves what they get.
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 am

Buc2 wrote:A cost of corporate greed?

General Motors says Venezuela illegally seizes auto plant

Reuters ReutersApril 20, 2017

CARACAS (Reuters) - General Motors said on Wednesday that Venezuelan authorities had illegally seized its plant in the industrial hub of Valencia and vowed to "take all legal actions" to defend its rights.

The seizure comes amid a deepening economic crisis in leftist-led Venezuela that has already roiled many U.S. companies.

"Yesterday, GMV's (General Motors Venezolana) plant was unexpectedly taken by the public authorities, preventing normal operations. In addition, other assets of the company, such as vehicles, have been illegally taken from its facilities," the company said in a statement.

It said the seizure would cause irreparable damage to the company, its 2,678 workers, its 79 dealers and to its suppliers.

Venezuela's Information Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for information.

Venezuela's car industry has been in freefall, hit by a lack of raw materials stemming from complex currency controls and stagnant local production, and many plants are barely producing at all.

In early 2015, Ford Motor Co wrote off its investment in Venezuela when it took an $800 million pre-tax writedown.

The country's economic crisis has hurt many other U.S. companies, including food makers and pharmaceutical firms. A growing number are taking their Venezuelan operations out off their consolidated accounts.

Venezuela's government has taken over factories in the past. In 2014 the government announced the "temporary" takeover of two plants belonging to U.S. cleaning products maker Clorox Co which had left the country.

Venezuela faces around 20 arbitration cases over nationalizations under late leader Hugo Chavez.

I feel so bad for GM and pharmaceutical firms.
deltbucs

Postby HamBone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am

Who really gives a ****?
HamBone

Postby NYBF » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:02 pm

HamBone wrote:

Who really gives a ****?

You and DreadNaught so far. I'm sure there are more.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 pm

NYBF wrote:
HamBone wrote:Who really gives a ****?

For the record NYBF is the one that originally posted the photo. Just sayin...
DreadNaught

Postby HamBone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm

NYBF wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Who really gives a ****?

If you believe I care because I replied...then you surely be on the list, yes?
HamBone

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 pm

First Devin Nunes steps down, now Chaffetz might be resigning as early as tomorrow.

The Republicans who were forced to investigate the Trump administration are stepping aside. I wonder what changed for Chaffetz over the past few days?
Corsair

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:21 pm

DreadNaught wrote:An underwhelming Trump is still better than Hillary's best to me and many others.

Seriously? You're still using Hillary as a yard stick to compare to? Perhaps you should set your expectations a bit higher. No wonder 30 or 35 percent of the country seem to think Trump is doing fine. You people are comparing him to the lowest expectations possible.
mightyleemoon

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:28 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:An underwhelming Trump is still better than Hillary's best to me and many others.

Seriously? You're still using Hillary as a yard stick to compare to? Perhaps you should set your expectations a bit higher. No wonder 30 or 35 percent of the country seem to think Trump is doing fine. You people are comparing him to the lowest expectations possible.

Well said.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm

HamBone wrote:

Who really gives a ****?

Amen.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:00 pm

DOJ putting together charges to seek the arrest of Assange. Posturing or has Assange just outlived his usefulness?
bucfanclw

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 pm

bucfanclw wrote:DOJ putting together charges to seek the arrest of Assange. Posturing or has Assange just outlived his usefulness?

GOP kompromat incoming...?
Corsair

Postby deltbucs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
The good

1.). Most of his appointees and their work and/or potential work...Sec of State, Sec of defense, SCOTUS

2.). EO on regulation

Crazy to me that appointing the CEO of Exxon is the first thing someone would list in the good category. This is the opposite of draining the swamp. Meanwhile Exxon is again applying for a waiver to drill in areas banned by sanctions. So it's a good thing that we have an appointed Secretary of State that wants to REWARD Russia for invading Ukraine?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04 ... mpany.html

Removing the regulations to help prevent another economic crisis like what we had in 2008 is a good thing? You think we need to spend time reviewing regulations that prevent oil drilling in National Parks? Who cares about our air and water? Let's make sure those poor Big Oil guys have it easier.

Personally, The first thing I would have in the good category is pulling out of the TPP.
deltbucs

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:18 am

deltbucs wrote:Personally, The first thing I would have in the good category is pulling out of the TPP.

That's probably the only thing that lands in the Good pile over here.
mightyleemoon

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:52 am

mightyleemoon wrote:

He ran against Hillary, so that was the alternative. Why wouldn't a comparison be fair?

You're reading too much into an one line of my post and projecting an argument I wasn't making (again). I never said anything about expectation regarding Hillary. I just stated that even an underwhelming Trump is better than Hillary to me. Gorsush on the SC is an example, TPP another, slowing/reversing the tide of illegal (sorry "undocumented") immigration into the country, etc. These are low hanging fruit items that would've continued to get worse had Trump not won.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Personally, The first thing I would have in the good category is pulling out of the TPP.

So less illegal border crossings is bad? That is an interesting perspective...
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 am

DreadNaught wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

He ran against Hillary, so that was the alternative. Why wouldn't a comparison be fair?

You're reading too much into an one line of my post and projecting an argument I wasn't making (again). I never said anything about expectation regarding Hillary. I just stated that even an underwhelming Trump is better than Hillary to me. Gorsush on the SC is an example, TPP another, slowing/reversing the tide of illegal (sorry "undocumented") immigration into the country, etc. These are low hanging fruit items that would've continued to get worse had Trump not won.

The flow of illegals had already been reversed under Obama.
deltbucs

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am

deltbucs wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

The flow of illegals had already been reversed under Obama.

I liken the whole illegal immigration issues to a drunk girl laying on the sidewalk focused on complaining about a loose thread on her purse. Sure, it's an issue, but I think you've got bigger issues to worry about, regardless of how important that may seem to you at this moment.
bucfanclw

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 am

bucfanclw wrote:
deltbucs wrote:The flow of illegals had already been reversed under Obama.

I liken the whole illegal immigration issues to a drunk girl laying on the sidewalk focused on complaining about a loose thread on her purse. Sure, it's an issue, but I think you've got bigger issues to worry about, regardless of how important that may seem to you at this moment.

I don't disagree there are bigger issues. But immigration was still one of key issue in the election to many voters. Just because it's not important you doesn't mean it isn't to others.
DreadNaught

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:10 am

DreadNaught wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:I liken the whole illegal immigration issues to a drunk girl laying on the sidewalk focused on complaining about a loose thread on her purse. Sure, it's an issue, but I think you've got bigger issues to worry about, regardless of how important that may seem to you at this moment.

I don't disagree there are bigger issues. But immigration was still one of key issue in the election to many voters. Just because it's not important you doesn't mean it isn't to others.

Right. That loose string is VERY important to the drunk girl. In fact, it's the MOST important.

Just like illegal border crossings, which makes up a minority of a fairly consistently declining population of illegal immigrants is VERY important to some voters. In fact, it's the MOST important.
bucfanclw

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:17 am

DreadNaught wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

So less illegal border crossings is bad? That is an interesting perspective...

Illegal border crossings fall under "indifferent".

I care about it about as much as I care about how many frogs people in Alaska are allowed to keep as pets.
mightyleemoon

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:18 am

Speaking of other things that don't matter....the twitter world is going crazy over...

mightyleemoon

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion