Cuba

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Cuba

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:01 pm

DreadNaught

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:07 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:
This sounds like something someone might say on the front end of a statement to dilute what comes next.

And this is the sentiment I don't get. In your life time, you're going to get yet another ****ing beach to go to. And a generation of Cubans will live and die without ever knowing freedom.

And this is a sentiment I don't get. Why should I not be free to go wherever I want to go?

I'm fine with you being free to go where you want to go. But I wouldn't understand if you chose to go skiing in North Korea, were you allowed to.
Ken Carson

Postby Buc2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:39 am

So the funeral of an anti-US, Communist dictator is worthy of 2 diplomats but the funeral of Margaret Thatcher was not only unworthy of the United States President but was the recipient of O diplomats, no US delegation whatsoever. Thanks Obama.
Brazen331

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:51 am

Thatcher funeral - sent 2 former diplomats that were friendly with Thatcher back when she was in power. Republicans whine.

Castro funeral - sending Cuban diplomat and National Security Deputy on an unofficial visit. Republicans whine.

We should send Trump since he actually had conversations with Fidel about doing business in Cuba during the embargo. For some reason, Republicans are silent about that one.
bucfanclw

Postby mightyleemoon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:53 am

Ken Carson wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:
And this is a sentiment I don't get. Why should I not be free to go wherever I want to go?

I'm fine with you being free to go where you want to go. But I wouldn't understand if you chose to go skiing in North Korea, were you allowed to.

Is there good skiing in North Korea?
mightyleemoon

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:06 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I'm fine with you being free to go where you want to go. But I wouldn't understand if you chose to go skiing in North Korea, were you allowed to.

The skiing is top-notch, pristine powder. Just have to request a minder who can also ski and can authorize you to leave Pyongyang.
Brazen331

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

The skiing is top-notch, pristine powder. Just have to request a minder who can also ski and can authorize you to leave Pyongyang.

You have been made moderator of r/Pyongyang.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby sanka » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Brazen331 wrote:So the funeral of an anti-US, Communist dictator is worthy of 2 diplomats but the funeral of Margaret Thatcher was not only unworthy of the United States President but was the recipient of O diplomats, no US delegation whatsoever. Thanks Obama.

Why would anybody with any self respect attend that evil witch's funeral?
sanka

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:31 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I'm fine with you being free to go where you want to go. But I wouldn't understand if you chose to go skiing in North Korea, were you allowed to.

Once you get past the human rights violations, it's basically Aspen.
Ken Carson

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:35 am

Corsair wrote:I bet that deal includes a couple new Trump hotels in Downtown Havana and a nice beach side resort.

LOL!

At least I made $1600 at the Trump Taj Mahal back in the day shooting craps.

Hope that didn't bankrupt him.

Again.

#palinforsecretaryofeducation/humanslivedwithdinosaurs
Alpha

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 am

Brazen331 wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Actually, and not even a joke, I'd like to run the marathon in Pyongyang.
mightyleemoon

Postby MJW » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 am

sanka wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:So the funeral of an anti-US, Communist dictator is worthy of 2 diplomats but the funeral of Margaret Thatcher was not only unworthy of the United States President but was the recipient of O diplomats, no US delegation whatsoever. Thanks Obama.

Why would anybody with any self respect attend that evil witch's funeral?

I don't think your opinion on "evil" holds much water after this thread kid.
MJW

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:55 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:Why would anybody with any self respect attend that evil witch's funeral?

I don't think your opinion on "evil" holds much water after this thread kid.

Agreed.

Sanka is still on mom's tit. Cut him some slack.

He tries so hard...it's cute...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat May 20, 2017 2:13 am

Hell ****ing yeah!

When I was studying "Soviet Foreign Policy" in college...I never, in a million years thought I'd have the opportunity to buy my girl a mojito in Havana, Cuba.

In July, that changes.

My old man was born and raised in Miami back in the 30's/40's/50's. He used to tell my brother and I stories about Cuba...back in the day. Weekenders with his buddies. All that stuff. It's clearly not the same but this is something I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do in my lifetime. I've been all over the world...been fortunate in ways that most can't possibly imagine...and outside of Antarctica, Cuba is the one place left that I actually WANT to visit. Myanmar and North Korea aren't on my priority list.

Maybe it's being a Floridian...or the connection to my pops...but I'm totally psyched beyond words to do this.

And before Ken get's all self-righteous...my girl is (only) half-Cuban. Surely, that doesn't make my (or her) opinion as valuable as yours :roll: ...but with all due respect...you can go **** yourself. Her mom (who is Cuban) wasn't thrilled with the surprise (she has her opinion on Castro) but when I told my girl (who still has family there), she cried tears of pure happiness.

Here's the deal...to Ken and all of the others of us who grew up with the "Soviet Menace": TIMES CHANGE.

Adapt or die.
Alpha

Postby Ken Carson » Sat May 20, 2017 8:52 am

I have no Soviet Menace issues. The Berlin Wall came down when I was 4. Everything I have against Cuba is because of the government that is still there. Don't get it twisted.

Happy for your girl to get to see her family. Maybe you'll get my point of view when you guys wish they could come visit you in the US.
Ken Carson

Postby Alpha » Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Ken Carson wrote:I have no Soviet Menace issues. The Berlin Wall came down when I was 4.

That's where I stopped reading. Makes sense though.

In essence...everything you THINK you know about Cuba comes from your wife and her family. That's cute. You and Sanka can trade stories some time. About the "good ol' days" perhaps. Your OPINIONS are based on no ACTUAL, first-hand experience with...well...ANYTHING. Typical Millennial; full of sound and fury...I'm sure you know the rest (look it up).

If an old bastard like me (with all of my "Soviet Menace" issues) can move forward...despite the imperfections of the current POLITICAL situation...maybe you can just keep your worthless opinions to yourself.

And if you think that's harsh...I can always bring in a REAL Old Timer (McFan) to put your dumb ass on blast.
Alpha

Postby Ken Carson » Mon May 22, 2017 8:15 am

Alpha wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I have no Soviet Menace issues. The Berlin Wall came down when I was 4.

That's where I stopped reading. Makes sense though.

In essence...everything you THINK you know about Cuba comes from your wife and her family. That's cute. You and Sanka can trade stories some time. About the "good ol' days" perhaps. Your OPINIONS are based on no ACTUAL, first-hand experience with...well...ANYTHING. Typical Millennial; full of sound and fury...I'm sure you know the rest (look it up).

If an old bastard like me (with all of my "Soviet Menace" issues) can move forward...despite the imperfections of the current POLITICAL situation...maybe you can just keep your worthless opinions to yourself.

And if you think that's harsh...I can always bring in a REAL Old Timer (McFan) to put your dumb ass on blast.

Please educate me on what I think I know about Cuba... some of it is based on reading about it (about 4-5 books), while the rest is based on first and second hand accounts of people who lived though it.

I've said many times in this thread, my opinion on Cuba will change when the government actually does something meaningful for its people.
Ken Carson

Postby lachisbackisback » Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am

Just checking in to see if Syria is worse than Cuba yet. Please advise, Ken.
lachisbackisback

Postby Ken Carson » Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm

lachisbackisback wrote:Just checking in to see if Syria is worse than Cuba yet. Please advise, Ken.

Is that a literal quote I made? I don't feel like searching.
Ken Carson

Postby lachisbackisback » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 pm

It was on the old board, so it's likely lost to the annals of time. I'll take your response to mean you see a distinction between the two at this point, though.
lachisbackisback

Postby mdb1958 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 am

I got a question for you Ken. Do you and the wife send help to the relatives in Cuba or would it never make it to them?
mdb1958

Postby Ken Carson » Sun May 28, 2017 10:52 am

mdb1958 wrote:I got a question for you Ken. Do you and the wife send help to the relatives in Cuba or would it never make it to them?

I will ask my in-laws if they are sending money to Cuba, but I tend to doubt it. My father-in-law's immediate family all made it out before 1962, but his mother's extended family is still there. If anyone is sending money, it is likely Yoya who now lives in Costa Rica.
Ken Carson

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm

sanka wrote:Image

Indeed...
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:45 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
sanka wrote:Image

Indeed...

What happened?
deltbucs

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:17 pm

deltbucs wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
Indeed...

What happened?

I'm sure that depends on who you ask. But basically Trump did away with a lot of the previous administrations deal w/ Cuba which basically enriched the communist regime in that country. Sadly we can't travel to Cuba again it looks like, but we'll see how long this lasts.

Alot of Cuban Americans will be happy with this. I look forward to discussing it over the weekend with my wife's family. But I already see positive sentiment in my FB feed from people that are A-political on social media (I unfriend/block anyone that does that on FB, even conservatives. I even unfollowed my own mother during the cycle election :D )

I'm sure sanka and some of the other Castro/Communist sympathizers are disappointed.

Last edited by DreadNaught on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:26 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
deltbucs wrote:What happened?

And Cuba's going to pay for it!
Casto for prison!
deltbucs

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 pm

I get it, but don't agree with it.

I concede that the Cuban government little to anything for it's people's economic liberty. I also concede that the Cuban government hammers any citizen who has a problem with that.

Where I part with the President is what to do about it. We've had a Cuban embargo for the better part of a century. It's done nothing to destabilize the Castro government, and has done nothing to improve the lives of the Cuban people.

President Obama attempted a new strategy to change Cuban relations and improve a stalemate scenario.

Allowing the US economy to get a foothold in Cuba in my view would have provided leverage in eventual trade negotiations but that is now undone and we are back to square one with Cuba.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby deltbucs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I get it, but don't agree with it.

I concede that the Cuban government little to anything for it's people's economic liberty. I also concede that the Cuban government hammers any citizen who has a problem with that.

Where I part with the President is what to do about it. We've had a Cuban embargo for the better part of a century. It's done nothing to destabilize the Castro government, and has done nothing to improve the lives of the Cuban people.

President Obama attempted a new strategy to change Cuban relations and improve a stalemate scenario.

Allowing the US economy to get a foothold in Cuba in my view would have provided leverage in eventual trade negotiations but that is now undone and we are back to square one with Cuba.

What ever happened to those incredible trade deals that were supposed to happen to move manufacturing back to 'Merica anyway?
Last edited by deltbucs on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deltbucs

Postby Ken Carson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I get it, but don't agree with it.

My reading of the order states that the transactions with the government are terminated but allows for the (very) small business/private sector to trade with American business. Seems like a best of both worlds approach, as the Cuban government will get substantially less (they will still get a lot) while tying the development of relations improving to Castro regime concessions. I will have to look at it more in-depth, but this is probably the first Trump move I can say I support.
Ken Carson

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion