Bergdahl Charged With Desertion, WH Wants It Kept Quiet

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Bergdahl Charged With Desertion, WH Wants It Kept Quiet

Postby HamBone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 am

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl has been charged with desertion, but the White House is trying to keep the story under wraps, a retired Army officer said Monday on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor."

An Army report on Bergdhal was finished in October, but has yet to be released. White House Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes is trying to keep the information from becoming public because it would embarrass President Barack Obama, said Lt. Col. Tony Schaffer.

Bergdahl walked away from his camp in Afghanistan in June 2009 and was captured by the Taliban. He was held for five years until he was traded for five Taliban leaders being held by the United States at Guantanamo Bay last summer.

Some of Bergdahl's platoon-mates publicly criticized the trade, saying Bergdahl had abandoned his unit and placed the lives of his comrades in danger when they searched fruitlessly for him.

Shaffer told Fox News he has confirmed that the investigation concluded that Bergdahl's key violation was desertion, and that he will face a military court martial.

"This has been done. The decision has been made," Schaffer said. "Let me be very clear. As a corporate entity, the Army has decided that they want to pursue Bergdahl for this violation."

But, Schaffer said, the White House is attempting to keep the information from being made public because it would embarrass Obama, who brought Bergdahl's parents to the White House for a Rose Garden announcement of the release.

"This is shaping up to be titanic struggle behind the scenes," Shaffer said. The Army here wants to do the right thing."

Guess we'll have to wait and see if the report gets released
HamBone

Re: Bergdahl Charged With Desertion, WH Wants It Kept Quiet

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 am

The Army has him as a lock for a desertion conviction. There is no logical way out of it.

Given the political ramifications, I think there will be no trial. They'll cop a deal with no time served and have a nice day.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:11 am

And then there is this from the Army Times....

The Army says there is no truth to media reports claiming a decision has been made to charge Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl with desertion.

The Army continues to review the case against Bergdahl, said Paul Boyce, a spokesman for Forces Command, on Tuesday.

In a report Monday citing two anonymous military sources, retired Lt. Col. Tony Schaffer told Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor" that the Army plans to charge Bergdahl with desertion. Schaffer also told the outlet his sources confirmed to him that Bergdahl's lawyer has been given a charge sheet.

But Boyce said there is no charge sheet and that the Fox News story "seems to be speculative in nature." Bergdahl's attorney Eugene Fidell declined to comment. NBC News, citing an anonymous senior defense official, is also reporting a desertion charge is coming, possibly within the week.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:And then there is this from the Army Times....

The Army says there is no truth to media reports claiming a decision has been made to charge Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl with desertion.

The Army continues to review the case against Bergdahl, said Paul Boyce, a spokesman for Forces Command, on Tuesday.

In a report Monday citing two anonymous military sources, retired Lt. Col. Tony Schaffer told Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor" that the Army plans to charge Bergdahl with desertion. Schaffer also told the outlet his sources confirmed to him that Bergdahl's lawyer has been given a charge sheet.

But Boyce said there is no charge sheet and that the Fox News story "seems to be speculative in nature." Bergdahl's attorney Eugene Fidell declined to comment. NBC News, citing an anonymous senior defense official, is also reporting a desertion charge is coming, possibly within the week.

It's possible...but the Army Times fucks up stories ask the time.
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:14 pm

HamBone wrote:

You ain't a-bullshittin' The Army Times is a rag.

But I think the Army doesn't want Fox scooping them on this. There will still be desertion charges, they just didn't like their thunder stolen.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:

You ain't a-bullshittin' The Army Times is a rag.

But I think the Army doesn't want Fox scooping them on this. There will still be desertion charges, they just didn't like their thunder stolen.

Maybe the Army Times doesn't want to be scooped in the story...but Fox is bigger than Gannett do they must likely will.
HamBone

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:58 pm

This thread is superfluous. Terry already broke down this situation with her expert analysis.
The Outsider

Postby Corsair » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:05 pm

The O'Reilly Factor?

Seriously?
Corsair

Postby ftmyersbuc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:36 am

Corsair wrote:The O'Reilly Factor?

Seriously?

ABC broke the same story from different sources a few hours later...

Methinks the WH needs some time to figure out how to spin this, or shut it down altogether. Bergdahl is a deserter and, quite likely, a traitor.
ftmyersbuc

Postby NoAlibi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:37 am

Always gave me the impression he was recruited by the CIA.. Though I probably watch too many movies
NoAlibi

Postby RedLeader » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 am

NoAlibi wrote:Always gave me the impression he was recruited by the CIA.. Though I probably watch too many movies

As what, sacrificial lamb? Plus, this guy sure as hell was no Jason Bourne. Although I'm sure he's claiming to have the same type of amnesia. Lol.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 am

ftmyersbuc wrote: Bergdahl is a deserter and, quite likely, a traitor.

Deserter? Absolutely. But the government is going to have a helluva time proving treason. Unless he said so in his bye-bye note that we haven't seen. In which case, he is fucked. But if he didn't leave any evidence to suggest he wanted to get his jihad on, they won't go there.

Desertion in a time of war already warrants the death penalty. Obama won't allow that, so I expect a plea bargain that admits guilt but he will be granted clemency due to being a POW for 5 years. He gets a Bad Conduct Discharge, forfeits his back pay, and is sent on his way to write his book.

That's the way I see this playing out.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NoAlibi » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:08 am

RedLeader wrote:
NoAlibi wrote:Always gave me the impression he was recruited by the CIA.. Though I probably watch too many movies

As what, sacrificial lamb? Plus, this guy sure as hell was no Jason Bourne. Although I'm sure he's claiming to have the same type of amnesia. Lol.

Didn't say it was a well thought out theory.. Just odd a guy disappears then he's magically found 5 years later.. Has Homeland written all over it..
NoAlibi

Postby terrytate » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:03 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
ftmyersbuc wrote: Bergdahl is a deserter and, quite likely, a traitor.

Deserter? Absolutely. But the government is going to have a helluva time proving treason. Unless he said so in his bye-bye note that we haven't seen. In which case, he is fucked. But if he didn't leave any evidence to suggest he wanted to get his jihad on, they won't go there.

Desertion in a time of war already warrants the death penalty.] Obama won't allow that, so I expect a plea bargain that admits guilt but he will be granted clemency due to being a POW for 5 years. He gets a Bad Conduct Discharge, forfeits his back pay, and is sent on his way to write his book.

Assuming that Obama is still president when this goes to trial. I'll admit, I am not totally sure how the procedure for military desertion court martial will play out but I could see the newly resurgent republicans trying to delay this until the elections and have it in the news while Hilary is trying to campaign.
terrytate

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:05 am

terrytate wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Desertion in a time of war already warrants the death penalty.] Obama won't allow that, so I expect a plea bargain that admits guilt but he will be granted clemency due to being a POW for 5 years. He gets a Bad Conduct Discharge, forfeits his back pay, and is sent on his way to write his book.

Assuming that Obama is still president when this goes to trial. I'll admit, I am not totally sure how the procedure for military desertion court martial will play out but I could see the newly resurgent republicans trying to delay this until the elections and have it in the news while Hilary is trying to campaign.

If they could make that happen, that's exactly what I'd do.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:57 am

And how, pray-tell, would Hillary suffer political damage from the actions of a disgraced soldier who left his post 6 months into her stint as Secretary of State?

Did she convince Bergdahl to take a hike? Did she negotiate the trade for him over a year after she resigned?

Of course not. You boys are barking up the wrong tree. Bergdahl alone is responsible for his actions and the consequences of his actions including the deaths and injuries of the men tasked with trying to find him.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby StillCSG » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Desertion charge to be announced at 3:30
StillCSG

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:12 pm

I thought this thread was on the old board or I would have bumped it.

Sticking with this prediction....

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Desertion in a time of war already warrants the death penalty. Obama won't allow that, so I expect a plea bargain that admits guilt but he will be granted clemency due to being a POW for 5 years. He gets a Bad Conduct Discharge, forfeits his back pay, and is sent on his way to write his book.

The Army has him as a lock for a desertion conviction. There is no logical way out of it.

Given the political ramifications, I think there will be no trial. They'll cop a deal with no time served and have a nice day.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby StillCSG » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:22 pm

I agree that's how it will play out....not the least bit happy about it but that's how it will go down
StillCSG

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:25 am

Aside from the death penalty, could he not also be sentenced to life in prison? I don't see spending 5 years as a "POW" as balance for the crime he committed. I agree nothing will happen to him, but that won't be because that's justice, that'll be because of politics. Makes me sick.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby StillCSG » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 am

Annnnnnnd the spin begins

Apparently Bergdahl left his post to go to ANOTHER FOB to report "wrongdoings" at his base....

Anybody buying that bullshit?
StillCSG

Postby HamBone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:08 am

StillCSG wrote:Annnnnnnd the spin begins

Apparently Bergdahl left his post to go to ANOTHER FOB to report "wrongdoings" at his base....

Nobody with an ounce of sense...that won't play well at his trial.

Where are you hearing that?
HamBone

Postby StillCSG » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:17 am

HamBone wrote:

Breaking news on CNN website
StillCSG

Postby HamBone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:21 am

StillCSG wrote:
HamBone wrote:

Breaking news on CNN website

Lol...so to report lax discipline he walks off his FOB. And he didn't think they were aggressive enough. Haha. No one is gonna believe that garbage.
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:25 am

Does he not have an attorney? :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 am

Not for a second.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Well, if he WAS going to walk off on his own through hostile territory where literally ANYONE could be trying to kill him, it totally makes sense for him to leave his weapon and kit behind.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby acaton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:36 pm

We won't know all the facts ever. Barry will sweep this turd under the Oval rug until he hits the BS tour.

My Dad is a marine that fought the Japinese in WWII said deserters were handled at the squad level most of the time.

My guess is the Admin will keep this under so much spin we'll never know the real facts. I still think Rice was right about this being caused by a movie.

Short, fat and slow often does the trick...45ACP
acaton

Postby HamBone » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:54 pm

"Observers wondered for months if Bergdahl would be charged with desertion after the deal brokered by the U.S. to bring him home. He was — but he was also charged with misbehavior before the enemy, a much rarer offense that carries a stiffer potential penalty in this case."
HamBone

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:33 am

Never heard of that charge before.
PrimeMinister

Next

Return to Politics and Religion