The Robots Are Coming

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: The Robots Are Coming

Postby Nano » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:06 pm

What happens when the robots decide they don't want humans living off their work?
Nano

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Skynet happens.
Corsair

Postby RedLeader » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Nano wrote:What happens when the robots decide they don't want humans living off their work?

Are we assuming robots will somehow develop emotions? Or an ego?

They'll do as we command and like it!
RedLeader

Postby Custer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:24 am

RedLeader wrote:They'll do as we command and like it!

That's what I said about my wife the day before we got married.
Custer

Postby Grim Reaper » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Nano wrote:What happens when the robots decide they don't want humans living off their work?

They'll likely take your welfare check, Section 8 housing, and Robamaphone away from you.

Hell, they may even deport some of you.

The rest of you? After most of you are killed off by the Technopox Pandemic, you'll wind up on a reservation...
Grim Reaper

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Dr. Moshe Vardi teaches computer science at Rice University and views automation as being both beneficial and detrimental to humanity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-moral-imperative-thats-driving-the-robot-revolution_us_56c22168e4b0c3c550521f64

"Worldwide, about 1.25 million people die from auto accidents per year. Something like 95 percent of these accidents are caused by human error. So by automating driving, we could save about a million lives a year.

At the same time, this change will have a huge economic impact, launching whole new industries and destroying old industries. About 10 percent of the U.S. workforce operate vehicles as part of their job, and the automation of driving will eliminate millions of jobs in the U.S. alone. But with so many lives saved, I believe it is a moral imperative to deploy the technology."
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Custer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:40 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Something like 95 percent of these accidents are caused by human error. So by automating driving, we could save about a million lives a year.

So I am supposed to get into a car and tell the car to take me to Outback Steakhouse. I get in the car and just as I am coming up on a 7-11, I want to stop, but can't because I have to reprogram the stupid car? No friggin thanks.
Custer

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:40 pm

Custer wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Something like 95 percent of these accidents are caused by human error. So by automating driving, we could save about a million lives a year.

So I am supposed to get into a car and tell the car to take me to Outback Steakhouse. I get in the car and just as I am coming up on a 7-11, I want to stop, but can't because I have to reprogram the stupid car? No friggin thanks.

Cool. So you can get t-boned at the 7-11 by the semi you cut off while I pass by and get a good steak at Charley's. I might look up from the show my wife and I are watching as we pass to feel sorry for you that you couldn't afford the latest tech.
bucfanclw

Postby Nano » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 pm

Unless Skynet is now controlling all automated vehicles now :cartman:
Nano

Postby Custer » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:58 am

bucfanclw wrote:
Custer wrote:So I am supposed to get into a car and tell the car to take me to Outback Steakhouse. I get in the car and just as I am coming up on a 7-11, I want to stop, but can't because I have to reprogram the stupid car? No friggin thanks.

Cool. So you can get t-boned at the 7-11 by the semi you cut off while I pass by and get a good steak at Charley's. I might look up from the show my wife and I are watching as we pass to feel sorry for you that you couldn't afford the latest tech.

I don't eat the steak at Outback, I get the soup and salad for lunch. Sometimes the salmon.

I am a defensive driver, I am over 50 years old, and I have never had a car accident in my life. I would prefer to drive my own car.
Custer

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:45 am

Random shower thought....

"Skynet" isn't going to be a Strategic defense automation system. It's going to be an accounting and budgetary system.

Congress will be removed from budgetary allocations process. Skynet will ascertain the most efficient use of tax revenue since Skynet cannot be bribed.

Skynet will purchase weapons systems for the military, buy office supplies, make infrastructure projects that benefit the most people, and serve as the fiduciary of social security revenue.

That is simultaneously exciting and frightening. At what point does Skynet tax at 100% efficiency to govern at 100% efficiency?

It's the plot for the most boring action movie ever.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:26 am

NEW YORK – A CEO of a fast-food company is causing a stir on social media after claiming that he wants to create a fully automated restaurant.

“We could have a restaurant that’s focused on all-natural products and is much like an Eatsa, where you order on a kiosk, you pay with a credit or debit card, your order pops up, and you never see a person,” Carl’s Jr. CEO Andy Puzder told Business Insider.

Puzder says the automated restaurant would be cheaper since he wouldn’t have to worry about rising minimum wage.

“If you’re making labor more expensive, and automation less expensive- this is not rocket science,” Puzder said.

“They’re always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there’s never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case,” says Puzder of swapping employees for machines. “Millennials like not seeing people. I’ve been inside restaurants where we’ve installed ordering kiosks… and I’ve actually seen young people waiting in line to use the kiosk where there’s a person standing behind the counter, waiting on nobody.”

Needless to say, many customers were less than pleased with the idea.

Life imitates art.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:29 am

Singularity University: The Harvard Of Silicon Valley Is Planning For A Robot Apocalypse

During a recent Executive Program at Silicon Valley’s Singularity University, the institution’s co-founder Peter Diamandis made some confident predictions.

Within the next decade, he said, self-driving cars will eliminate all driving fatalities. Artificial intelligence will soon surpass the skills of the best human doctors and remove all inefficiencies from health care systems. These AIs will invent new pharmaceuticals to cure previously fatal diseases and will 3D print customized medicines based on genetic analysis of individual patients. Perhaps best of all, he said, plummeting production costs and rising prosperity will make such fantastic medical care essentially free.

It’s common for tech industry rhetoric to invoke the ideal of a better world, but since its 2008 inception, Singularity University has articulated an astonishingly ambitious series of goals and projects that use technological progress for philanthropic ends. Medicine is just one of many domains that Diamandis wants to fundamentally change. He and others at Singularity are also working to develop and support initiatives that will provide universal access to high-quality education, restore and protect polluted environments, and transition the economy to entirely sustainable energy sources........
............But his vision of the future was nonetheless optimistic. Diamandis believes that solar energy will soon satisfy the demands of the entire planet and replace the market for fossil fuels. This will mean fewer wars and cleaner air. Systems for converting atmospheric humidity into clean drinking water will become cheap and ubiquitous. The industrial meat industry will also vanish, replaced by tastier and healthier laboratory-grown products with no environmental downsides. He also predicts that exponential increases in the power of AI would soon render teachers and universities superfluous. The best education in the world will become freely available to anyone.

Click here for full story.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Nano » Thu May 12, 2016 1:16 pm

We have our own version of Skynet in IBM Watson
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Nano wrote:We have our own version of Skynet in IBM Watson

Get this...

IBM AI Ross, the world's first artificially intelligent attorney, has its first official law firm. Baker & Hostetler announced that they will be employing Ross for its bankruptcy practice, currently comprised of almost 50 lawyers.

http://futurism.com/artificially-intelligent-lawyer-ross-hired-first-official-law-firm/
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 am

Perhaps this was going to come to pass even without an unrealistic minimum wage hike, but the hike seems to be forcing this to happen sooner rather than later.
Wendy’s to install robotic kiosks across 6,000 restaurants thanks to the ‘fight for $15’
By Robert Laurie -- Bio and Archives May 12, 2016

Skynet became self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th 1997. Unfortunately, the activists, protesters, and political interests that are leading the ‘Fight for $15’ movement did not. If they had, they might have realized the unstoppable march of the machines had begun, and that they’d ushered in their own obsolescence and unemployment.

First we heard about McDonald’s investigating a plan to eliminate cashiers and order takers. Then it was Carl’s Jr. Most recently, White Castle rattled the robotic saber. Now, Wendy’s has created the ultimate burger-ordering machine and they’re about to unleashed it upon a neighborhood near you.

It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. ...And it absolutely will not stop - ever - until you’ve been served a delicious, well-prepared, lunch at a reasonable price.

From IBD:

Wendy’s said that self-service ordering kiosks will be made available across its 6,000-plus restaurants in the second half of the year as minimum wage hikes and a tight labor market push up wages.

It will be up to franchisees whether to deploy the labor-saving technology, but Wendy’s President Todd Penegor did note that some franchise locations have been raising prices to offset wage hikes.

McDonald’s (MCD) has been testing self-service kiosks. But Wendy’s, which has been vocal about embracing labor-saving technology, is launching the biggest potential expansion.

It’s not surprising that some franchisees might face more of a labor-cost squeeze than company restaurants. All 258 Wendy’s restaurants in California, where the minimum wage rose to $10 an hour this year and will gradually rise to $15, are franchise-operated. Likewise, about 75% of 200-plus restaurants in New York are run by franchisees. New York’s fast-food industry wage rose to $10.50 in New York City and $9.75 in the rest of the state at the start of 2016, also on the way to $15.

Congratulations, social justice warriors, you may be able to fight for $15, but you can’t fight the future. If only you could send someone - or something - back in time. You could stop this movement before it ever began.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri May 13, 2016 9:55 am

I thought I read that increasing labor cost will not impact the employees, customers, or the businesses? It was suppose to come out of the Magical Christmas Land fund.
PanteraCanes

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:25 am

PanteraCanes wrote:I thought I read that increasing labor cost will not impact the employees, customers, or the businesses? It was suppose to come out of the Magical Christmas Land fund.

It's only logical that by forcing unrealistic minimum wages on companies that rely on these, understandably, minimum wage jobs, will only force these same companies to seek alternate labor means in order to remain competitive in their markets while still being profitable. I just don't understand why people thought this (automation) wouldn't be the response by these companies. So, instead of having a job at the current minimum wage (or, say, an even a more reasonable $9 minimum), now they'll be unemployed and living on government assistance. Who wins?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 13, 2016 11:03 am

PanteraCanes wrote:I thought I read that increasing labor cost will not impact the employees, customers, or the businesses? It was suppose to come out of the Magical Christmas Land fund.

me too...i thought the only people that would have to sacrifice are the billionaire stockholders
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 13, 2016 12:21 pm

sigh....Wendy's can blame it on minimum wage hikes all they want. The fact remains is this was coming anyway. Anytime technology can replace a worker (or multiple workers) it will. Regardless if you pay them $8 an hour or $18 an hour.

We went through this and through this in Larryland. The only thing a minimum wage hike changes is margin.....Unless you guys think that the workforce cuts are going to magically lower the price of your frostee now that the cost has dropped.

Hey, Buc2, How long until you and I as accountants get laid off due to a software patch? Are our salaries going to be the cause of it?

Don't think for one second that you and I are safe because we have degrees and white collar jobs. That's the whole point of this thread.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Read this again and then tell me how the dirty poor people demanding a livable wage brought this on.

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Could a robot do your job? Could software?

As an accountant, I can assure you that my profession's days are numbered. Much of the expertise my job requires is fulfilled by MS Excel. I just have to be smart enough to put the right numbers in the right cells and viola! Financial statements. How long until my long hours of being the interface between the software that collects the data and the software that consolidates the data is replaced by a software upgrade? I bet its within my lifetime.

Bill Gates thinks so.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gat ... obs-2014-3

We already have touchscreen kiosks at fast food joints, and self checkout at most retail stores. They are working on self driving 18 wheelers for long haul trucking and your car can parallel park itself. In the military we already have drones that can linger over the battlefield for hours for air superiority and I suspect drone sentries and robot tanks are not far away. How long until the Navy has drone ships to patrol for submarines and drone submarines to patrol for those drones? Some guy at Grumman is dreaming that **** up right now. Somebody just developed a robot that can lay brick and build a house in a matter of hours.

The pilot for your airliner taxis the plane, takes off, lands, taxis to the gate and thanks you for flying Delta. The plane flies itself after a certain point and has been doing so for quite some time. If I'm not mistaken, the plane can land itself if need be nowadays.

So the point is that our technology is creating more and more opportunities for automation to perform tasks that people do today. Oxford says that nearly half of ALL jobs will be lost to automation in 20 years. They should have skipped the will be and gone with could be and spared us the hyperbole, but nevertheless the trend is there.

How do you have an economy when there is no work and thus no income? The welfare state cannot provide for half of everybody particularly when there are no taxpayers, so what happens?

How do you prepare your children for such an economy?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:sigh....Wendy's can blame it on minimum wage hikes all they want. The fact remains is this was coming anyway. Anytime technology can replace a worker (or multiple workers) it will. Regardless if you pay them $8 an hour or $18 an hour.

We went through this and through this in Larryland. The only thing a minimum wage hike changes is margin.....Unless you guys think that the workforce cuts are going to magically lower the price of your frostee now that the cost has dropped.

Hey, Buc2, How long until you and I as accountants get laid off due to a software patch? Are our salaries going to be the cause of it?

Don't think for one second that you and I are safe because we have degrees and white collar jobs. That's the whole point of this thread.

Hopefully my industry can hold out for at least 7 more years before it happens.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Nano » Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 pm

There are very few jobs that are safe in the upcoming future. Hell, the reason I bumped this thread and mentioned IBM is that in the past week alone, there's been articles about their tech being a teacher, lawyer, fast-foodworker/retail sales associate, cybercrime agent, software coder and salesman, and possible nurse.
Nano

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:sigh....Wendy's can blame it on minimum wage hikes all they want. The fact remains is this was coming anyway. Anytime technology can replace a worker (or multiple workers) it will. Regardless if you pay them $8 an hour or $18 an hour.

as you undoubtedly know with your accounting background, most every major corporation, particularly a multi-national like Wendy's, will use one of two methods for capital projects:

1.) Internal Rate of Return
2.) Payback

Wendy's isn't going to buy technology or robots or anything if their investment doesn't meet the criteria for whichever of the two methods above they use. They aren't going to buy robots just to buy robots. They are going to do it to save money

Using the simpler payback criteria, it is quite clear that a technology that replaces a $15 an hour worker will generate a much quicker payback than one that replaces a $10 an hour worker. Indeed it will do it 1/3 quicker. Because the payback period is quicker the capital project is MUCH more likely to be invested in.

Now I fully admit that most technologies are getting cheaper and more sophisticated as time goes on...and in the long run, that technology is likely to replace the $10 worker too. However, increasing the minimum wage is simply hastening that shift. So rather than those workers losing their jobs in say 10 years when the market would dictate they would, they are now going to lose their jobs in 2 years because of artificial manipulation of wages. You simply cannot argue with that. It's as close to a scientific fact as there is in business.

As for the long term sympathy you have with people getting replaced with automation, I think we all have it. We all think in one aspect it sucks. Particularly for older folks who can't retrain. But you know what? That's life. That's the cost of progress.

Do you think that the accounting field in general would be better if firms still hired hundreds of clerks to manually record bookkeeping entries in paper journals? Of course not. Not only would accounting as a field be worse off, but so would society...because some of that money that firms have saved by using software rather than clerks went into improving their products, R&D, etc.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Nano wrote:There are very few jobs that are safe in the upcoming future. Hell, the reason I bumped this thread and mentioned IBM is that in the past week alone, there's been articles about their tech being a teacher, lawyer, fast-foodworker/retail sales associate, cybercrime agent, software coder and salesman, and possible nurse.

indeed and as a result we all better make sure our skills are flexible and transferable.

there is no doubt that as a professor, my field in general is going to be downsized very soon. we can now teach hundreds of kids on-line without the fixed cost of buildings. we can teach them when they want to learn rather than making them come to class M/W/F from 9 to 9:50. We can give them more degree flexibility.

its stupid for EVERY single kid to have to go through education like someone did 40 years ago. Sure, some kids (and their parents) will always value one-on-one face to face time in an interactive environment of their peers...but not everyone will.

why should we make everyone do one method just to avoid a technological transformation of education?
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

as you undoubtedly know with your accounting background, most every major corporation, particularly a multi-national like Wendy's, will use one of two methods for capital projects:

1.) Internal Rate of Return
2.) Payback

Wendy's isn't going to buy technology or robots or anything if their investment doesn't meet the criteria for whichever of the two methods above they use. They aren't going to buy robots just to buy robots. They are going to do it to save money

Using the simpler payback criteria, it is quite clear that a technology that replaces a $15 an hour worker will generate a much quicker payback than one that replaces a $10 an hour worker. Indeed it will do it 1/3 quicker. Because the payback period is quicker the capital project is MUCH more likely to be invested in.

Now I fully admit that most technologies are getting cheaper and more sophisticated as time goes on...and in the long run, that technology is likely to replace the $10 worker too. However, increasing the minimum wage is simply hastening that shift. So rather than those workers losing their jobs in say 10 years when the market would dictate they would, they are now going to lose their jobs in 2 years because of artificial manipulation of wages. You simply cannot argue with that. It's as close to a scientific fact as there is in business.

As for the long term sympathy you have with people getting replaced with automation, I think we all have it. We all think in one aspect it sucks. Particularly for older folks who can't retrain. But you know what? That's life. That's the cost of progress.

Do you think that the accounting field in general would be better if firms still hired hundreds of clerks to manually record bookkeeping entries in paper journals? Of course not. Not only would accounting as a field be worse off, but so would society...because some of that money that firms have saved by using software rather than clerks went into improving their products, R&D, etc.

so it's artificial manipulation when wages go up, but it's just the free market doing it's thing when they are suppressed? No sir.

I actually agree with you about the technology side of what you are saying, but the discussion of automation is independent to the discussion of wages up until this point. Automation comes regardless of wages as you pointed out. It is disingenuous to suggest, however that it is due to that discussion. The tech is coming one way or the other and it is unethical at best for Wendy's to roll out these kiosks and then stick a finger in the eye of their employees that are about to get shit-canned and say "this is your fault." when they were going to do it anyway.

If everybody at Wendy's decided to take a paycut, those kiosks are still going in.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 13, 2016 1:16 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:so it's artificial manipulation when wages go up, but it's just the free market doing it's thing when they are suppressed?

I would sing the same tune if the government tried to cap wages -- like I do when I ridicule the artificial salary cap in sports. A wage rate is an exchange between an individual who is willing to sell his/her labor and a company who is willing to buy it. Any influence by anyone outside of those two agencies is artificial. Whether it's the government, the CEO of McDonald's engaging in wage fixing with the CEO of Wendy's or anything else.

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I actually agree with you about the technology side of what you are saying, but the discussion of automation is independent to the discussion of wages up until this point. Automation comes regardless of wages as you pointed out. It is disingenuous to suggest, however that it is due to that discussion. The tech is coming one way or the other and it is unethical at best for Wendy's to roll out these kiosks and then stick a finger in the eye of their employees that are about to get shit-canned and say "this is your fault." when they were going to do it anyway.

If Wendy's were to announce that they never would have pursued this technology if it wasn't for pressure to raise wages, then yes, I agree it would be disingenuous...they, like most companies, have a financial responsibility to their shareholders to always be looking for ways to improve shareholder return...as such, they were most definitely looking into this technology before anything about minimum wage hikes came into discussion. However, if they come out and say we are doing it earlier than we would have because our labor costs are going to dramatically increase I have absolutely no problem with it.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 13, 2016 1:21 pm

What's your alternative MB?

How can you stop the progress of automation?

Would you set up a department that says who can and can't adopt automation? That can decide what kind of automation should be adopted? That can decide when to adopt automation?

Should we have a department that details how many employees each company has to hire regardless of automation?

I get that people losing their jobs sucks....it would particularly suck if it was my job that was lost. But the creative destruction that Adam Smith talks about is absolutely fundamental to society.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 14, 2016 9:33 am

Zarniwoop wrote:What's your alternative MB?

How can you stop the progress of automation?

Obviously, I can't. You and I are both acknowledging that automation is progressing and will continue to progress.

Would you set up a department that says who can and can't adopt automation? That can decide what kind of automation should be adopted? That can decide when to adopt automation?

Should we have a department that details how many employees each company has to hire regardless of automation?

come on, now. that's ridiculous.

I get that people losing their jobs sucks....it would particularly suck if it was my job that was lost. But the creative destruction that Adam Smith talks about is absolutely fundamental to society.

Then let's identify it for what it is. Looking at this example and saying "Ha! See! You dumb poor people lost your jobs and it's all your fault!" is as factually wrong as it is horrible in taste. Whoever wrote that "article" needs to get kicked in the balls. How does someone take delight in that? Doesn't he realize there are already bots out there preparing to take his job? ****ing sadist.

Very few of us are safe from this. As I pointed out before, a software engineer is going to render Buc2 and I obsolete someday soon. If it is in 5 years do I get to tell Buc2 that it's his fault because of the last time he asked for a raise? How long until our college professors are holographic projections of Russell Crowe that can answer any question in exacting detail? (that actually sounds really cool.)

All of the discussions we have on economics from wages, to banking, to budget deficits are going to be moot point discussions because we are looking at depression era unemployment before we even get a chance to even think about drawing social security.

Surely, we can find a more constructive way to look at this then simply cite Adam Smith. He's been dead for over 220 years. His problems are over.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Sat May 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Depression era unemployment will also mean that Wendy's will go belly up. After all, if no one has a job, that means they have no money to buy a burger at Wendy's. Who will their customers be? The rich? HA! That's really rich. So are these companies ultimately biting the very hands that feed them? I sure seems that way at the moment anyway. Obviously the answer has to lie somewhere in the middle. Displaced workers will need to be retrained or governments around the globe will have to adopt some sort of "living wage" for all, whether they work or not. The next few decades are about to get very interesting indeed.

In all of this discussion, MB, you have failed to acknowledge what Zarni was saying about the timing of the automation...that, yes, it's going to happen regardless. But that artificial wage manipulation is very likely speeding up the process. Payback/IRR is the only factor that is in play here. You bump all of Wendy's employees to $15 an hour, that Payback/IRR happens much quicker by going with automation. Again, Zarni acknowledged that automation is still inevitable, it may, however, be put off a while longer without any artificial wage manipulation.

Interesting topic regardless.

P.S. I think my job is pretty safe from the threat of automation any time soon. Other factors may cost me my job, but I don't see it being a robot. Maybe in other 50-75 years, all companies, regardless of size, will be able to afford the automation necessary to eliminate all accountants. Just my opinion.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion