The Robots Are Coming

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: The Robots Are Coming

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:09 am

beardmcdoug wrote:Damn, wish I was here for the beginning of this thread, but this is something that has always interested me. Its a concept that should be intimately understood by our entire voting populace. Changes to the workforce drive changes to societal structures. We can no longer vote with 20th century ideals and goals. We, as a country, need to vote in a predictive manor based on the direction the mechanization of the workforce is inevitably going to steer us. We NEED to embrace the change and not keep trying to cram the round peg into the 3-D printed carbon nanotube tesseract. There's an opportunity here to turn with the current that we can't afford to miss, otherwise the transition is going to be really freaking ugly

Sounds like we need a presidential directive that says robots can only work 15 hours a week. Maybe a few million jobs where hackers mess up the robots and then they can work at night and fix them.
mdb1958

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 am

This seems relevant to this thread...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/20/mark-cub ... or-it.html
mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:50 am

mightyleemoon wrote:This seems relevant to this thread...

hey mlm, where would you put this one on your list ;)

so far I've got:

x)
x)
x) pay to play politics
x) education
x) ever growing class gap
x) net neutrality
x) misused tax dollars
x)
x)
x)
x)
x)
x) the media
x) drug abuse
x) sports
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 am

Maybe Mr. Cuban should run for POTUS?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Buc2 wrote:Maybe Mr. Cuban should run for POTUS?

Is he smart enough? We don't want him getting promoted to his level of incompetence...
mightyleemoon

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:This seems relevant to this thread...

so far I've got:

x)
x)
x) pay to play politics
x) education
x) net neutrality
x) misused tax dollars
x)
x)
x)
x)
x)
x) the media
x) drug abuse
x) sports

What list?
mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:49 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

so far I've got:

x)
x)
x) pay to play politics
x) education
x) net neutrality
x) misused tax dollars
x)
x)
x)
x)
x)
x) the media
x) drug abuse
x) sports

What list?

lol damnit man, the list I asked you about the other day - your ranked perceived threats to the US people. I know you're just a self proclaimed "smart ass", but I'm curious about your actual thoughts on this
beardmcdoug

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:54 pm

I think you missed the part (the first sentence) where I said If I were to sit and rank the problems...

I haven't sat and ranked the problems. I have no interest in sitting and ranking the problems. I only know that the media problem would rank somewhere near companies changing their running shoe designs every god damned year. The Kinvaras used to feel like running on clouds...now it's like running in clown shoes.
mightyleemoon

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:I think you missed the part (the first sentence) where I said If I were to sit and rank the problems...

I haven't sat and ranked the problems. I have no interest in sitting and ranking the problems. I only know that the media problem would rank somewhere near companies changing their running shoe designs every god damned year. The Kinvaras used to feel like running on clouds...now it's like running in clown shoes.

considering the amount of time you spend criticizing people's opinions on things, I would have assumed you would have at least endeavored to craft yourself one or two well-thought-out opinions about "what is the root of all these bad opinions that people hold, and why do they suck so much". Maybe I'm giving you too much credit
beardmcdoug

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:46 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:I think you missed the part (the first sentence) where I said If I were to sit and rank the problems...

considering the amount of time you spend criticizing people's opinions on things, I would have assumed you would have at least endeavored to craft yourself one or two well-thought-out opinions about "what is the root of all these bad opinions that people hold, and why do they suck so much". Maybe I'm giving you too much credit

You overestimate how much I care about the opinions of others, my desire to change an opinion, the amount of time I actually spend typing up 100-150 words, and my desire for credit. You also underestimate how much I like to give people **** and how much I respect people who can dish me some solid, non-basic **** in return.

Now, I'm not sure why we're talking about that theoretical list mentioned in another thread...in here. Seems kind of desperate, if you ask me. Which you didn't. So, maybe we're even.
mightyleemoon

Postby Nano » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:26 pm

The robots are fighting again
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 am

One Redditor modified the UBI pitch to conservatives to better communicate the idea to Trump enthusiasts.

The welfare state is a horrific bloated mess of government wastefulness and irresponsible fat baby mommas suckling at the teat of taxpayers. Basic income shuts that nonsense down, by taking all the nearly 200 welfare programs and shutting them the **** down, then replacing them with a single, efficient program that doesn't cater to immigrants or minorities or people who've never worked a day in their lives stealing hard earned taxpayer money.

Instead, everybody gets a fixed check for the same amount. Are you a millionaire? Great, you get a check. You have 10 children? Too bad, you don't get a penny more than the guy who works for a living. You're a privileged minority? Not any more, you get the same check I do. Drugged out loser who can't hold a job? Not our ****ing problem, you get the same check as everybody else.

Smaller government, more efficient spending, and no more welfare mommas breeding out of control.

Make people take responsibility for themselves instead of relying on daddy government.

Basic income.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:One Redditor modified the UBI pitch to conservatives to better communicate the idea to Trump enthusiasts.

The welfare state is a horrific bloated mess of government wastefulness and irresponsible fat baby mommas suckling at the teat of taxpayers. Basic income shuts that nonsense down, by taking all the nearly 200 welfare programs and shutting them the **** down, then replacing them with a single, efficient program that doesn't cater to immigrants or minorities or people who've never worked a day in their lives stealing hard earned taxpayer money.

Instead, everybody gets a fixed check for the same amount. Are you a millionaire? Great, you get a check. You have 10 children? Too bad, you don't get a penny more than the guy who works for a living. You're a privileged minority? Not any more, you get the same check I do. Drugged out loser who can't hold a job? Not our ****ing problem, you get the same check as everybody else.

Smaller government, more efficient spending, and no more welfare mommas breeding out of control.

Make people take responsibility for themselves instead of relying on daddy government.

Basic income.

Perfect
bucfanclw

Postby HamBone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:59 am

The government giving everyone money...is making them take responsibility for themselves and not relying on Daddy government?

Doesn't sound like it to me...but, I'm sure I missed something.
HamBone

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 am

clearly you're not enlightened
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:06 am

Zarniwoop wrote:clearly you're not enlightened

No doubt...proud knuckle dragger
HamBone

Postby RedLeader » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:07 am

Ya, that part made me laugh extra hard.
RedLeader

Postby Nano » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:10 pm

HamBone wrote:The government giving everyone money...is making them take responsibility for themselves and not relying on Daddy government?

I imagine it's because they'll be getting less and have to work/take responsibility to keep up their lifestyles. Some of these moochers get an absurd amount of benefits in the current system.
Nano

Postby HamBone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Nano wrote:
HamBone wrote:The government giving everyone money...is making them take responsibility for themselves and not relying on Daddy government?

I imagine it's because they'll be getting less and have to work/take responsibility to keep up their lifestyles. Some of these moochers get an absurd amount of benefits in the current system.

So, they will still be receiving an "allowance from daddy"?
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:46 pm

HamBone wrote:
Nano wrote:I imagine it's because they'll be getting less and have to work/take responsibility to keep up their lifestyles. Some of these moochers get an absurd amount of benefits in the current system.

Would you like to see the Libertarian pitch?

The most common form of government oppression in practice today is obfuscation of the law through complexity. The tax code is needlessly complex. Social Security, Medicaid, Welfare and Medicare are massive bureaucracies that not only coerce citizens out of their money, but can make it difficult for anyone but bureaucrats to retrieve the proper benefits guaranteed them. In most cases, citizens simply have to live with whatever payments the government decides is proper, whether it be from entitlement programs or via tax refunds.

A Basic Income program would eliminate massive bureaucracies. Most Basic Income proposals come coupled with a restructuring of the tax code to simplify it - most often in the form of a flat tax. Basic Income proposals also usually call for the the replacement of existing entitlement programs. Government entities running means-tested programs will vanish. The government will no longer have a need to look into the bank accounts of private citizens or check their medical records before making payments. Every citizen simply gets a check in the mail once a month.

While a Basic Income calls for an increase in taxes and spending, it also comes with a massive reduction in the size of government, which means more liberty for everyone. Basic Income is one of the rare government social programs that actually decreases the influence of government and furthers the cause of liberty.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
HamBone wrote:

The most common form of government oppression in practice today is obfuscation of the law through complexity. The tax code is needlessly complex. Social Security, Medicaid, Welfare and Medicare are massive bureaucracies that not only coerce citizens out of their money, but can make it difficult for anyone but bureaucrats to retrieve the proper benefits guaranteed them. In most cases, citizens simply have to live with whatever payments the government decides is proper, whether it be from entitlement programs or via tax refunds.

A Basic Income program would eliminate massive bureaucracies. Most Basic Income proposals come coupled with a restructuring of the tax code to simplify it - most often in the form of a flat tax. Basic Income proposals also usually call for the the replacement of existing entitlement programs. Government entities running means-tested programs will vanish. The government will no longer have a need to look into the bank accounts of private citizens or check their medical records before making payments. Every citizen simply gets a check in the mail once a month.

While a Basic Income calls for an increase in taxes and spending, it also comes with a massive reduction in the size of government, which means more liberty for everyone. Basic Income is one of the rare government social programs that actually decreases the influence of government and furthers the cause of liberty.

No, why would I? I'm not a Libertarian...and I think the government handing out money to people, merely because they exist, is a bad idea and is not Constitutional.
HamBone

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:54 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

No, why would I? I'm not a Libertarian...and I think the government handing out money to people, merely because they exist, is a bad idea and is not Constitutional.

Your Constitutional argument interests me. I'd like to hear it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Why not just cut down the 200 some odd programs to what we all know is reasonable?

Humans only have like 5 basic needs, for crissakes. Somehow, we've come up with 180 programs to meet them...
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:34 pm

RedLeader wrote:Why not just cut down the 200 some odd programs to what we all know is reasonable?

Humans only have like 5 basic needs, for crissakes. Somehow, we've come up with 180 programs to meet them...

How about just one?

It doesn't even have to be a universal income. How about a negative income tax?

The country is running out of need for ditch diggers. Do we wipe out the bureaucratic apparatus that has them standing in lines, or do we cut them off and let nature take its course?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:56 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Why not just cut down the 200 some odd programs to what we all know is reasonable?

How about just one?

It doesn't even have to be a universal income. How about a negative income tax?

The country is running out of need for ditch diggers. Do we wipe out the bureaucratic apparatus that has them standing in lines, or do we cut them off and let nature take its course?

And the solution is to just indiscriminately hand out cash? Half of which would go to the undeserving, with the other half going to those who don't even really need it.. and the working class holding the bag in the middle?

No thanks.
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 am

If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

Or are you going with just cutting them off?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

As usual, crickets. People keep thinking that if we pretend it's not a problem it will just go away so we don't have to deal with it.
bucfanclw

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:21 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

As usual, crickets. People keep thinking that if we pretend it's not a problem it will just go away so we don't have to deal with it.

Not sweating it. The NIT is far more likely to come to pass than UBI. I just fail to see the unconstitutionality of it since it was Milton Friedman's idea...among others.

Red is just a guy who believes in meritocracy. I can respect that, but life can be a little more complicated than that and I doubt that even he wants to see the return of shantytowns.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:01 pm

If anyone is curious how The Robots Are Coming along

r/Futurology is always a fun read.

Just....don't post a comment unless you're willing to write an essay or something
Nano

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes that's right, if someone doesn't believe in governmental redistribution of wealth they have no compassion for the poor and they want to see them in Shantytowns. Better yet, lets Jonathon Swift them Modest Proposal style
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion