The Robots Are Coming

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: The Robots Are Coming

Postby A Man's Part » Sat May 14, 2016 9:38 pm

My job is pretty safe from automation.. Until we automate a way to automate things.
A Man's Part

Postby A Man's Part » Sat May 14, 2016 9:49 pm

By the way, if your job relies mostly on your brain... It will be easy to automate because If you can teach something to a person.. You can write code to do it. Most people don't like to admit this, because they take pride in the amount of information that they can take in process and make intelligent decisions on. That is pretty much the bread and butter of automation that is already stealing peoples jobs now. Over the next 15 years, I see a lot of office jobs.

I think we could see a shift in value between blue collar vs white collar jobs, because hard physical labor is not an easy thing to automate further. A good portion of the 1900s did focus on just that. But in the current 'computer age' automation is going to focus on consumer services and unsexy back office jobs.

However, as those jobs get automated that just creates more jobs in technology, so jobs aren't going away theyre transitioning (provided companies use American coders)
A Man's Part

Postby The Outsider » Sat May 14, 2016 10:34 pm

A Man's Part wrote:By the way, if your job relies mostly on your brain... It will be easy to automate because If you can teach something to a person.. You can write code to do it. Most people don't like to admit this, because they take pride in the amount of information that they can take in process and make intelligent decisions on. That is pretty much the bread and butter of automation that is already stealing peoples jobs now. Over the next 15 years, I see a lot of office jobs.

I think we could see a shift in value between blue collar vs white collar jobs, because hard physical labor is not an easy thing to automate further. A good portion of the 1900s did focus on just that. But in the current 'computer age' automation is going to focus on consumer services and unsexy back office jobs.

However, as those jobs get automated that just creates more jobs in technology, so jobs aren't going away theyre transitioning (provided companies use American coders)

That's really a gross generalization. But really what I wanted to do is clarify something. It is not our programming abilities that make automating manual labor difficult, it is our weaknesses in materials science and robotics that prohibit that. Most manual labor would be incredibly easy to code for as it is generally not complex and relies on precise measurments more often than not. The most basic jobs in the white collar sector will be easy to automate but the further you go up the chain, when interactions become more complex, ideas become more convoluted, and a premium is placed on creativity and ingeniuity is where automation will fail due to insufficient coding abilities.
The Outsider

Postby Corsair » Thu May 26, 2016 3:35 am

Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

Apple and Samsung supplier Foxconn has reportedly replaced 60,000 factory workers with robots.

One factory has "reduced employee strength from 110,000 to 50,000 thanks to the introduction of robots", a government official told the South China Morning Post.

Xu Yulian, head of publicity for the Kunshan region, added: "More companies are likely to follow suit."

China is investing heavily in a robot workforce.

In a statement to the BBC, Foxconn Technology Group confirmed that it was automating "many of the manufacturing tasks associated with our operations" but denied that it meant long-term job losses.

"We are applying robotics engineering and other innovative manufacturing technologies to replace repetitive tasks previously done by employees, and through training, also enable our employees to focus on higher value-added elements in the manufacturing process, such as research and development, process control and quality control.

"We will continue to harness automation and manpower in our manufacturing operations, and we expect to maintain our significant workforce in China."

Since September 2014, 505 factories across Dongguan, in the Guangdong province, have invested 4.2bn yuan (£430m) in robots, aiming to replace thousands of workers.

Kunshan, Jiangsu province, is a manufacturing hub for the electronics industry.

Economists have issued dire warnings about how automation will affect the job market, with one report, from consultants Deloitte in partnership with Oxford University, suggesting that 35% of jobs were at risk over the next 20 years.
Corsair

Postby NYBF » Thu May 26, 2016 9:03 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... -from-2017

Reboot: Adidas to make shoes in Germany again – but using robots
Company unveils new factory in Germany that will use machines to make shoes instead of humans in Asia

Adidas, the German maker of sportswear and equipment, has announced it will start marketing its first series of shoes manufactured by robots in Germany from 2017.

More than 20 years after Adidas ceased production activities in Germany and moved them to Asia, chief executive Herbert Hainer unveiled to the press the group’s new prototype “Speedfactory” in Ansbach, southern Germany.

The 4,600-square-metre plant is still being built but Adidas opened it to the press, pledging to automate shoe production – which is currently done mostly by hand in Asia – and enable the shoes to be made more quickly and closer to its sales outlets.

The factory will deliver a first test set of around 500 pairs of shoes from the third quarter of 2016.

Large-scale production will begin in 2017 and Adidas was planning a second “Speed Factory” in the United States in the same year, said Hainer.

Hainer insisted the factories would not immediately replace the work of sub-contractors in Asia. “Our goal is not full automatisation,” said Gerd Manz, head of innovation and technology.

Adidas produced 301m pairs of shoes in 2015 and needs to produce 30m more each year to reach its growth targets by 2020.

If robots are the future of work, where do humans fit in?
Zoe Williams
Zoe Williams Read more
Six subcontractors of Adidas in China declined to comment on the new factories or said they were not aware of them.

In the longer term Adidas is planning to build robot-operated factories in Britain or in France, and could even produce the shirts of Germany’s national football team in its home country, said Hainer.

The shoes made in Germany would sell at a similar price to those produced in Asia, he said.

Adidas is facing rising production costs in Asia where it employs around one million workers. Arch-rival Nike is also developing its robot-operated factory.
NYBF

Postby Corsair » Thu May 26, 2016 4:36 pm

While repubs are pinning their hopes to a billionaire business man who "trickles down" so little, the economic model is changing... fast.
Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 27, 2016 1:09 am

Just out of curiosity, did the Chinese workers at Foxconn get laid off because they demanded more than $2.50 an hour?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby HamBone » Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Just out of curiosity, did the Chinese workers at Foxconn get laid off because they demanded more than $2.50 an hour?

Found this on China Daily...an article from 2015

Sportswear giant Adidas Group AG said on Thursday that it would start sourcing more products from countries like Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia to offset the pressure from higher labor costs in China.
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:10 am

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 27, 2016 12:58 pm

HamBone wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Just out of curiosity, did the Chinese workers at Foxconn get laid off because they demanded more than $2.50 an hour?

Found this on China Daily...an article from 2015

Sportswear giant Adidas Group AG said on Thursday that it would start sourcing more products from countries like Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia to offset the pressure from higher labor costs in China.

So an apparel company sporting 200%+ mark-up at wholesale is going to outsource it's outsourced manufacturing because $2.50 an hour is too much to spend on a T-shirt that retails for $50.

Well, the good news is that the t-shirts will go down in price since the cost to produce a product directly correlates with the price to sell it. If they pass along increases, they'll surely pass along savings amirite?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 27, 2016 1:10 pm

Yes a company has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to make as much money as possible. If labor is 20% lower anywhere they will take it...regardless of the absolute value.

It's business 101.

If you dont like it, buy from a company that pays $20/hr to their unskilled labor. No one is forcing you to buy from Nike.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri May 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Buc2 wrote:Image

Interestingly enough this robot would have better customer service skills then the dregs that work at McDonalds
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Fri May 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Image

Interestingly enough this robot would have better customer service skills then the dregs that work at McDonalds

As long as they still manufacture the McNuggets!!!!
HamBone

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:11 pm

HamBone wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

As long as they still manufacture the McNuggets!!!!

Right? Real chicken is overrated anyway.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri May 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Yes a company has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to make as much money as possible. If labor is 20% lower anywhere they will take it...regardless of the absolute value.

It's business 101.

If you dont like it, buy from a company that pays $20/hr to their unskilled labor. No one is forcing you to buy from Nike.

Don't think for one second I don't understand why they made that decision.

Fiduciary responsibility is a real catchy shield to hide behind, but shareholders of a company that size are not individuals, they are institutional investors on Wall St. That are more focused on stock equity than the long term health of the company. Adidas is a sufficiently profitable company that could pay healthy dividends to individual investors long term. But since the majority of shares are held by Wall Street, decisions get made that have consequences for workers for the short term benefit of fund managers.

But hey, this warped version of capitalism is business 101.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:39 am

didn't know where else to put it and it's not threadworthy on its own

but productivity is down for the 3rd straight quarter
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks, Pokemon Go.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:57 am

Summary of a long article on self driving trucks:

Driverless trucks are inevitable since they offer substantial savings for fleet owners and higher road safety.
3.5 million people work as truck drivers in the USA. Additionally, there are millions of jobs who depend on the trucking business, e.g. in the hospitality or insurance industry.
Replacing truck drivers with automation will have devastating effects on the job market – especially in small town economies.
It is folly to believe that millions of people who will lose their job can be re-employed.
In a world where automation is fundamentally altering the economic system, an unconditional basic will become inevitable.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Poor Java

Walmart to cut 7,000 back-office accounting, invoicing jobs

Walmart plans to shed about 7,000 store accounting and invoicing positions as the company moves to automate those processes, though workers will be offered positions elsewhere in their stores, the company confirmed Thursday.

The big-box retailer's plans affect less than 1% of its U.S. workforce of 1.5 million employees.

The move, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, comes after the company tested accounting and invoicing automation at about 500 of its nearly 4,600 stores earlier this summer.

The company is implementing automated cash-counting technology at its stores and switching bookkeeping functions from back-office sites at stores to its headquarters in Bentonville, Ark.

"We've seen some pretty strong success on the pilot and have decided to roll it out across all of our U.S. stores," Walmart spokesperson Deisha Galberth said.

The chain said workers will be transitioned into other roles that involve interacting with customers, though they may get pay cuts.

Galberth described the automated "cash recycling machine" as a "quicker, safer and more secure" step to modernize Walmart's store accounting processes.

The transition will take several months, she said.

"There are roles for all of these folks and we are aiming to have everyone transition into those roles wherever possible," she said.

Corsair

Postby Nano » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Just wait til they automate the greeters
Nano

Postby Corsair » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 pm

It would seem that Buc2 and I are on borrowed time.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Well, I don't count cash, nor do I do any AP or AR, so I think I'm good for a while. At least until I can retire.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Buc2 wrote:Well, I don't count cash, nor do I do any AP or AR, so I think I'm good for a while. At least until I can retire.

Accruals like depreciation are already on autopilot and the closing process could be programmed fairly simply.

I'd say MD&A, audit, and pro forma are the last bastions of our profession. Everything else is going to be simple data entry a kid with a HS diploma can do for cheap.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Well, I don't count cash, nor do I do any AP or AR, so I think I'm good for a while. At least until I can retire.

Accruals like depreciation are already on autopilot and the closing process could be programmed fairly simply.

I'd say MD&A, audit, and pro forma are the last bastions of our profession. Everything else is going to be simple data entry a kid with a HS diploma can do for cheap.

I'm honestly not worried that my company will be converting to automated accounting anytime soon. You, however, might want to think about going back to school for IT training of some sort.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:54 am

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Accruals like depreciation are already on autopilot and the closing process could be programmed fairly simply.

I'm honestly not worried that my company will be converting to automated accounting anytime soon. You, however, might want to think about going back to school for IT training of some sort.

I double majored in accounting and management as an undergrad and my masters program was on Strategic leadership. So I'm actually more versed in leadership and management than accounting.

After this upcoming set of financial statements are done for the state, I'm going to look for a project management position or something in HR.

If I go private sector, I'd be interested in front office type stuff which would be a blend of everything.

In the meantime, I'm counseling my kids to keep exploring what they really like and plan to pursue that because I know that the workplace could be a very different place by the time they are ready to enter the workforce.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 am

Damn, wish I was here for the beginning of this thread, but this is something that has always interested me. Its a concept that should be intimately understood by our entire voting populace. Changes to the workforce drive changes to societal structures. We can no longer vote with 20th century ideals and goals. We, as a country, need to vote in a predictive manor based on the direction the mechanization of the workforce is inevitably going to steer us. We NEED to embrace the change and not keep trying to cram the round peg into the 3-D printed carbon nanotube tesseract. There's an opportunity here to turn with the current that we can't afford to miss, otherwise the transition is going to be really freaking ugly
beardmcdoug

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:57 am

beardmcdoug wrote:Damn, wish I was here for the beginning of this thread, but this is something that has always interested me. Its a concept that should be intimately understood by our entire voting populace. Changes to the workforce drive changes to societal structures. We can no longer vote with 20th century ideals and goals. We, as a country, need to vote in a predictive manor based on the direction the mechanization of the workforce is inevitably going to steer us. We NEED to embrace the change and not keep trying to cram the round peg into the 3-D printed carbon nanotube tesseract. There's an opportunity here to turn with the current that we can't afford to miss, otherwise the transition is going to be really freaking ugly

This guy... I like this guy. You stick around and post more.
bucfanclw

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:29 am

bucfanclw wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:Damn, wish I was here for the beginning of this thread, but this is something that has always interested me. Its a concept that should be intimately understood by our entire voting populace. Changes to the workforce drive changes to societal structures. We can no longer vote with 20th century ideals and goals. We, as a country, need to vote in a predictive manor based on the direction the mechanization of the workforce is inevitably going to steer us. We NEED to embrace the change and not keep trying to cram the round peg into the 3-D printed carbon nanotube tesseract. There's an opportunity here to turn with the current that we can't afford to miss, otherwise the transition is going to be really freaking ugly

This guy... I like this guy. You stick around and post more.

Hah cheers bud
beardmcdoug

Postby Corsair » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Chinese factory replaces 90% of human workers with robots. Production rises by 250%, defects drop by 80%
After a factory in Dongguan, China, replaced most of its workers with robots, it witnessed a spectacular rise in productivity.

While some of the world’s leaders are obsessed with keeping people out of their country, an unspoken entity is slowly but certainly taking our jobs: robots. It’s been long discussed that robots and computers will start taking our jobs “in the near future” — well that near future is upon us and we’re not really prepared to deal with it. Of course, some jobs are more at risk than others, are few are as threatened as factory jobs.

According to Monetary Watch, the Changying Precision Technology Company focuses on the production of mobile phones and uses automated production lines. The factory used to be run by 650 employees, but now just 60 people get the entire job done, while robots take care of the rest. Luo Weiqiang, the general manager, says the number of required employees will drop to 20 at one point. Despite this reduction in staff, not only is the factory producing more equipment (a 250% increase), but it’s also ensuring better quality.

Without a doubt, this is something we’ll be hearing more and more of in the future. Adidas is one of the companies which has already announced a shift towards robot-only factories, and it’s not just factories that will eliminate workers for robots. According to a report created by Dr Carl Benedikt Frey and Associate Professor Michael Osborne from the University of Oxford, there’s an over 90% chance that robots will take over the jobs of (long list ahead): masons, budget analysts, tax examiners and collectors, butchers and meat cutters, retail salespersons, geological and petroleum technicians, hand sewers, abstract searchers, watch repairers, new account clerks, tax preparers, order clerks, loan officers, legal secretaries, radio operators, tellers, hotel and restaurant hostesses, cashiers, real estate brokers, polishing workers, dental technicians, pesticide sprayers, telephone operators, cooks (not chefs), rock splitters, gaming dealers, and many, many more. Yeah, that’s a long list, and it goes on for much longer. Whether we admit it or not, we’re stepping well into the bounds of “robots taking over our jobs” and I’m not sure any economy is able to handle this at the moment.

I’ve got some very mixed feelings about this. Firstly, this is indeed exciting. We’re entering a new age of automation, and technology is truly reaching impressive peaks. The process is better and it’s also more resource efficient, which is also good. I’m also happy that humans don’t have to work repetitive, unchallenging jobs and can instead focus on other things. The problem is … there might not be other things. In fact there most definitely aren’t. Those people are out of a job, and there’s a good chance they’ll have a very difficult time finding new jobs. Simply put, our society isn’t prepared to integrate these people in different jobs and naturally this will cause huge problems.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but those coal jobs ain't coming back. At least not permanently. We may sink a lot of resources into trying to revive a dead industry and in the meantime we will fall behind the rest of the world where it counts. While the rest of the world is moving forward, we long for the days when we sent humans into mines.
Corsair

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion