The Robots Are Coming

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: The Robots Are Coming

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:49 pm

Thought this was a good thread for this:

NYBF

Postby RedLeader » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 am

Well that's a relief.
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:08 am

RedLeader wrote:Image

Well that's a relief.

The history of the world has always taught us that technology adds jobs in the long run. Maybe this time will be different...who knows, but it would be the outlier for sure.
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

Well that's a relief.

The history of the world has always taught us that technology adds jobs in the long run. Maybe this time will be different...who knows, but it would be the outlier for sure.

I like how the meme was made by a company who's industry will be among the hardest hit by automation.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

Well that's a relief.

oh it'll add jobs

robot jobs
beardmcdoug

Postby RedLeader » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 am

Robots to create 133M jobs: Report

Robots could create twice as many jobs than they destroy. That’s according to the World Economic Forum, which says machines and algorithms could help create 133 million jobs around the world over the next decade — as they displace 75 million human positions. As with the introduction of steam power and then electricity, the report suggests new technologies will create new opportunities. It does, however, warn of an urgent need to reskill at-risk workers.
RedLeader

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 am

RedLeader wrote:Robots to create 133M jobs: Report

Robots could create twice as many jobs than they destroy. That’s according to the World Economic Forum, which says machines and algorithms could help create 133 million jobs around the world over the next decade — as they displace 75 million human positions. As with the introduction of steam power and then electricity, the report suggests new technologies will create new opportunities. It does, however, warn of an urgent need to reskill at-risk workers.

yeah, robot jobs

no seriously, what type of jobs? (asking rhetorically)

I get that we're heading to a peer-to-peer service economy, the question is if those are "good jobs", or jobs that people want, or jobs that are "good for people"
beardmcdoug

Postby RedLeader » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:49 am

Actually, good questions. And they dont seem to specify, really...

Here's the link to the full article:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ey-destroy
RedLeader

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 am

No one can predict with any certainty what new jobs pop up after technology makes some skill sets redundant.

That’s just not how any of this works.
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:No one can predict with any certainty what new jobs pop up after technology makes some skill sets redundant.

That’s just not how any of this works.

yeah but you can make a decent guess based off trends, history, society, human nature, etc

I mean I get there are going to be a lot of "unknown unknowns", but those radical interpretations of our future economy are as radical as the science fiction ideas behind them.

If we say, "ok we'll kind of relatively head down the same path we've been on, with changes occurring slightly faster each year", I feel like you can get a rough idea (through a lot of brain storming)

this whole idea is what interests me so much about a game like cyberpunk 2077. even for the pure food-for-thought value, its worth it to watch the trailer.

(reminds me of a future those disgusting zarnians would wallow in)

At the end of the day, some trends we've observed already recently:
- decentralization (or away-from-usa-shift) of large manufacturing / medium skill "plant"-type work
- in their place, rise of low-skill retail/fast food jobs
- more expected travel / mobility / flexibility of the worker
- viability of peer-to-peer micro-service economy (thanks to smart phone/personal device/gps services)

Its not hard to imagine an extreme form of all-day hustle individual contract work.

fill out your "worker profile" - skills are X, Y, Z (hell, maybe even ratings on each), job history (did 7 house framing jobs last week, drove uber for 4 hours, moved a guy's house, picked up sally's kids from swimming and babysat for 2 hours, prepared food at Qdoba for 8 hours), that sort of ****.

but then you think about the ramifications about that... people are no longer pursuing "Deep" skills or professions - pushes the trend away from mastery, and onto being "a mile wide and an inch deep" with your skills - idk, sure, maybe that's what our society looks like in the future. Is that good? Is that bad? I think that's an interesting start to a conversation...
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
but then you think about the ramifications about that... people are no longer pursuing "Deep" skills or professions - pushes the trend away from mastery, and onto being "a mile wide and an inch deep" with your skills - idk, sure, maybe that's what our society looks like in the future. Is that good? Is that bad? I think that's an interesting start to a conversation...

The highlighted part is interesting...can you explain a bit more what you mean by it?

Are you suggesting that people will become less specialized and become more generalist?
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

The highlighted part is interesting...can you explain a bit more what you mean by it?

Are you suggesting that people will become less specialized and become more generalist?

yeah, which, in a way, is a good thing - like more physicians assistants as opposed to as many doctors.

but there's something sort of fear I have for the greater "societal health", if we stop encouraging people to pursue (as a general trend due to economic forcing) deep-dive subject matter - like the type of subjects you have to devote all day every day for 20-30+ years to really "master" - like particle physics / nano/bio-tech, astrophysics, surgeons. It's only through intense, rigorous, undisturbed study, which owes to academic infrastructure/funding, that those peoples' careers and the breakthroughs they bring come to exist. I know there will always be the guys with asperger's who are just absolutely DRIVEN to study this ****, who will always exist on that very tip of the sort of "metaphorical pencil tip", I just worry that over time, as our economy values those pursuits less and less, and the road to pursue them becomes narrower and narrower, that that pencil tip will become so whittled or just dulled over time.

My point is, if everyone is hustling their ass off doing 10 different things to make ends meet, then you inevitably spend less and less time mastering one thing, and to an extreme degree, some of the incredibly difficult pursuits will be almost completely blocked off because you have to make the smart economic decision NOT to pursue something like astrophysics. A lot of the reason those guys are even able to do that sort of **** is because a) government-provided grants, and b) society, as a whole, still values those pursuits. I wonder if we head down the route of pure small-job peer-to-peer economy that both of those types of things begins to taper off (quicker than they already are)

I'm sure there's holes in my argument - we'll always need surgeons.... but will we always *need* astrophysicists? Need. Not want. I'm not sure...

Are people getting smarter? I don't know... I think there's more information out there, but it seems like people give more of a **** about promoting their own personal celebrity, being seen doing things. It's like the world's society is transitioning to a female-minded (caution, entering entirely-scientifically-supported sexist territory) focus, instead of a male-oriented.... we're focusing on "how to *be* around eachother, what we look like, who's relationship is with who, what relationship am I with the rest of society, how can I best sell myself -- I mean look at the state of ESPN's reporting. We (general public) no longer talk about "ideals" or "building" anything... and this service peer-to-peer economy is right in line with that female-minded mentality - if you have that ability to navigate the social structure - which is a female-dominated skill - you'll win the peer-to-peer service economy game (or at least do better than those that haven't).

Maybe it'll come full circle after, and out of a really refined peer-to-peer service economy we'll figure out how to start really building things again... idk!
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:09 am

Uh-Oh Kress....

Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Uh-Oh Kress....

Thankfully all those displaced lawyers will be able to get one of the millions of jobs that this will create out of thin air.
bucfanclw

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 am

bucfanclw wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Uh-Oh Kress....

Thankfully all those displaced lawyers will be able to get one of the millions of jobs that this will create out of thin air.

I wonder if they'll come out with an app where you can get connected with the closest lawyer and you can get on-the-go legal advice. You just follow the GPS to the tent under the overpass and voila!
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:50 am

BMD - how many apps do you on your phone right now that take you to an underpass to meet up with someone?

I'm guessing 11.
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:BMD - how many apps do you on your phone right now that take you to an underpass to meet up with someone?

I'm guessing 11.

just 1 - ur mom will only use tinder
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Oye!!!

Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Boom! Lol.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:19 pm

“He got me,” Zarniwoop said of BMD's burn on him. "That f***ing BMD boomed me."
Zarniwoop added, “He’s so good,” repeating it four times.
Zarniwoop then said he wanted to add BMD to the list of posters he works out with this summer.
Rocker

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Lol!
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:18 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country's first 'robot sex brothel' set to open in Texas prompts backlash

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/09/25/ ... eport.html

I blame you BMD!
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 am

For all the flack Florida gets for crazy stuff... why am I not surprised the first robot brothel is being opened in Texas?
bucfanclw

Previous

Return to Politics and Religion