Here come the Obamas

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Here come the Obamas

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Rough day at work and I was mindlessly thumbing Reddit and saw Barack and Michelle have signed a deal with Spotify to start a podcast. Sorry, I don't have a link.

At the time I saw it, I did a little eyeroll figuring they were simply going to make some money, but a couple of bourbons and the season six finale of the West Wing later, I think I figured out what's going on here.

They'll start the podcast talking about randomness, cool stories from days gone by, pumping the legacy, etc. Then one day they'll lay into Trump and its off to the races.

Twitter war begins, whole news cycles get eaten up, the right (justifiably) goes apeshit over a former president attacking his successor and the base eats it up on both sides because Trump will not be able to do the one thing he needs to do which is STFU.

It'll be Obama vs. Trump for a while until he has the press and the public waiting breathlessly for the next episode. And then he will endorse and campaign for via podcast Joe Biden.

Bullshit conspiracy theory?

Last week Biden's campaign literally announced a limited schedule for their guy. Smart. Joe is a gaffe machine. Obama picking a fight with Trump does the dirty work for him and while the media and everyone else is going bananas over this podcast, Joe gets to bypass doing the hard work and nobody is listening to Sanders or the rest of the field.

Its brilliant.

Obama becomes Joe's mouthpiece. The unprecedented nature of it becomes a national obsession, and the progressive wing is drowned out by the drama. The crescendo is when Obama throws his endorsement to Biden.

Bernie is unacceptable to the establishment, none of the others are catching on, Joe is getting by on being Obama's VP, and Obama has now got a platform on spotify to shift the attention to him so he can be the kingmaker.

Bullshit or Plausible?
Mountaineer Buc

Re: Here come the Obamas

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Rough day at work and I was mindlessly thumbing Reddit and saw Barack and Michelle have signed a deal with Spotify to start a podcast. Sorry, I don't have a link.

At the time I saw it, I did a little eyeroll figuring they were simply going to make some money, but a couple of bourbons and the season six finale of the West Wing later, I think I figured out what's going on here.

They'll start the podcast talking about randomness, cool stories from days gone by, pumping the legacy, etc. Then one day they'll lay into Trump and its off to the races.

Twitter war begins, whole news cycles get eaten up, the right (justifiably) goes apeshit over a former president attacking his successor and the base eats it up on both sides because Trump will not be able to do the one thing he needs to do which is STFU.

It'll be Obama vs. Trump for a while until he has the press and the public waiting breathlessly for the next episode. And then he will endorse and campaign for via podcast Joe Biden.

Last week Biden's campaign literally announced a limited schedule for their guy. Smart. Joe is a gaffe machine. Obama picking a fight with Trump does the dirty work for him and while the media and everyone else is going bananas over this podcast, Joe gets to bypass doing the hard work and nobody is listening to Sanders or the rest of the field.

Its brilliant.

Obama becomes Joe's mouthpiece. The unprecedented nature of it becomes a national obsession, and the progressive wing is drowned out by the drama. The crescendo is when Obama throws his endorsement to Biden.

Bernie is unacceptable to the establishment, none of the others are catching on, Joe is getting by on being Obama's VP, and Obama has now got a platform on spotify to shift the attention to him so he can be the kingmaker.

Bullshit or Plausible?

Here's my hang up:

I don't think Obama gives a **** about Joe Biden or the DNC establishment, and I don't see what's in this for him. I'd even go a step further and speculate he'd prefer to see Bernie or Liz kick Joe's butt, and would even view that as a bigger affirmation of his personal greatness than Biden winning. Biden is, after all, a textbook (Bill) Clinton 90s style democrat. Even a blue dog. Obama might be significantly smarter and more saavy than people like AOC, but those Democrats are his people. Joe is not. Joe is the kind of Democrat he led a rebellion against, even if he did utilize him as a VP candidate.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:05 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Rough day at work and I was mindlessly thumbing Reddit and saw Barack and Michelle have signed a deal with Spotify to start a podcast. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Its brilliant.

Bullshit or Plausible?

Here's my hang up:

I don't think Obama gives a **** about Joe Biden or the DNC establishment, and I don't see what's in this for him. I'd even go a step further and speculate he'd prefer to see Bernie or Liz kick Joe's butt, and would even view that as a bigger affirmation of his personal greatness than Biden winning. Biden is, after all, a textbook (Bill) Clinton 90s style democrat. Even a blue dog. Obama might be significantly smarter and more saavy than people like AOC, but those Democrats are his people. Joe is not. Joe is the kind of Democrat he led a rebellion against, even if he did utilize him as a VP candidate.

Obama campaigned like a progressive, but governed from the center. He IS the establishment in the party and controls the clintonistas.

He makes the money from Spotify and controls the party via podcast. In that respect, he maintains power rather than cede it to Bernie who WILL win the nomination (and the general) with the current trajectory.

That's whats on it for him.

I will concede it doesn't have to be Joe. He could pick anybody other than Bernie, Warren, or Tulsi and maintain the status quo.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:10 am

Oh, and the massive ego trip that goes with it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Stuart » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:56 am

Not plausible for two reasons. One is Trump would not take the bait. Two is Obama has no interest in helping govern the US.

While the POTUS may seem unhinged, it’s only a show. He’s toiled for years in silence after he was roasted by hussein years ago, and he has been getting his payback as planned. He’s a troll for sure, but he’s been one step ahead since that day.

Barry and company are not fools, and They’ve used the office to their advantage up to date. That’s all it was and ever will be to them...a tool to further themselves and their legacy. That’s what it’s about. Their legacy. He’s been watching sports and playing madden too long. They actually hate the US and what it stands for. I see them as using Netflix and Spotify to further their legacy and continue to deepen the divide in the US to further their personal interests. They are the clintons 2.0 in that they trample on the people of the world, spreading division and mayhem to further themselves.
MUTED FOR YOUR SAFETY
Stuart

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:10 am

I don't see Obama trying to directly play big into the upcoming election...he is smart enough to know that his legacy is still pretty positive within his party and even independents. The day he starts stumping for one person is the day he will feel the full wrath of the radical progressives. They will tear down everything he accomplished as not good enough, not progressive enough, etc. Obama is far too much an egoist to allow that to happen.
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:49 am

It would be absolutely amazing if Obama got cancelled because he wasn't progressive enough.

These folks need to read about the French revolution sometime.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:00 am

Those old dead whities should have #wokenup
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:20 am

The simple life of salted fish happiness versus the Swedish global 1%ers.
mdb1958

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:25 am

Something tells me there's no way he has a podcast during an election year and doesn't use it to put his thumb on the scale.

Take the Trump and Biden bits out of the OP and he's still up to something and I doubt its because he misses giving the weekly radio address.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:04 am

Barack Obama doesn't need to make a podcast to flex his political muscle. He's a two-term President with over a hundred million Twitter followers who is beloved by his political party, and his wife has nearly as many admirers.

If he wanted to speak his mind or give out an endorsement, he'd do so.

To think that Obama doing a Spotify podcast is a part of some wily conspiracy is almost as stupid as thinking that it would do a damn thing to change his Q Score.
Cheb

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 am

Obama is a company man. I think your theory is very plausible.

Then again, this an endorsement from the 3rd-ranked conspiracy theorist on this board
beardmcdoug

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:39 am

The Obamas are too classy to get into a twitter war with Trump.
real bucs fan

Postby deltbucs » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:44 am

MB, I think you overrate the democratic strategist. They just lost an election to Donald ****ing Trump. Did you see Biden's big video to announce that he was running? It was like 3 minutes of saying "Nazis are bad."
deltbucs

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am

I just don’t see all this conspiracy stuff like you guys do. Obama will clearly have his favorite candidate, and candidates he doesn’t like..though I expect he would favor them all over Trump

AT what point does it become Obama just sharing his opinions versus some deep establishment conspiracy?
Zarniwoop

Postby NavyBuc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if Michelle Obama gets a call to be the running mate of some of these candidates, such as Biden or Harris should they get the nomination.
NavyBuc

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:29 pm

NavyBuc wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if Michelle Obama gets a call to be the running mate of some of these candidates, such as Biden or Harris should they get the nomination.

I don't see this happening at all
Zarniwoop

Postby Stuart » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:14 pm

I don’t think any of these candidates would warrant either of their endorsements much less a running mate
MUTED FOR YOUR SAFETY
Stuart

Postby RedLeader » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Wasn’t Obama just somewhere apologizing for America again, talking about how, ‘in America you can just buy machine guns over the internet!’, and other such atrocities.

Very insightful stuff.
RedLeader

Postby HamBone » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:42 am

RedLeader wrote:Wasn’t Obama just somewhere apologizing for America again, talking about how, ‘in America you can just buy machine guns over the internet!’, and other such atrocities.

Very insightful stuff.

“And some of you may be aware our gun laws in the United States don’t make much sense. Anybody can buy any weapon any time," Obama said to an applause.

"You know, without much, if any, regulation, they can buy it over the internet, they can buy machine guns. And for me, having to speak to parents who have lost a child, just two days or a day after it had happened, and not being able to assure them that that would change, that we would fix this — I couldn’t bring their children back, but I couldn’t even promise them that we would change the law so this didn’t happen to somebody else’s children," he said.

There are about 300 federal and state gun laws that regulate the sale and acquisition of firearms in the United States. When it comes to internet gun sales, the firearm is sent to a gun dealer who holds a federal firearms license. An FBI background check is then conducted before the firearm is transferred to the buyer.

The buying and selling of new machine guns, which are capable of firing more than one bullet per trigger pull, has been banned since 1986 as the result of an amendment in the Firearms Owners' Protection Act. Machine guns that were made before 1986 were grandfathered in and can still be purchased, but they are heavily regulated and require an additional license and fees.
HamBone

Postby RedLeader » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:36 am

Yep... I believe he was also quoted as saying;

“In America, you can just walk into a saloon and shoot a man over a card game... and they’ll barely even stop playing the piano before bringing you some whiskey on the house....”
RedLeader

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:19 pm

HamBone wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Wasn’t Obama just somewhere apologizing for America again, talking about how, ‘in America you can just buy machine guns over the internet!’, and other such atrocities.

Very insightful stuff.

“And some of you may be aware our gun laws in the United States don’t make much sense. Anybody can buy any weapon any time," Obama said to an applause.

"You know, without much, if any, regulation, they can buy it over the internet, they can buy machine guns. And for me, having to speak to parents who have lost a child, just two days or a day after it had happened, and not being able to assure them that that would change, that we would fix this — I couldn’t bring their children back, but I couldn’t even promise them that we would change the law so this didn’t happen to somebody else’s children," he said.

There are about 300 federal and state gun laws that regulate the sale and acquisition of firearms in the United States. When it comes to internet gun sales, the firearm is sent to a gun dealer who holds a federal firearms license. An FBI background check is then conducted before the firearm is transferred to the buyer.

The buying and selling of new machine guns, which are capable of firing more than one bullet per trigger pull, has been banned since 1986 as the result of an amendment in the Firearms Owners' Protection Act. Machine guns that were made before 1986 were grandfathered in and can still be purchased, but they are heavily regulated and require an additional license and fees.

Obama didn't speak in facts, he used word play talking points. But he's a political so it is what it is. Unfortunately ignorant people parrot that like it's the truth.

HB just laid down facts. If any issue is going to be discussed it must be around the facts. If you want more gun control laws, so be it. But let's acknowledge the facts first so we have a starting point.
DreadNaught

Postby TheChefO » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Its brilliant.

Bullshit or Plausible?

Interesting theory, but I'm thinking this will be used more as a platform to have some of his favorite candidates on to talk policy and throw jabs at "the current administration".

my .02
TheChefO

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:23 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Obama campaigned like a progressive, but governed from the center.

It's scary that you actually believe that.
Caradoc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:54 am

Caradoc wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Obama campaigned like a progressive, but governed from the center.

It's scary that you don't.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:02 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

It's scary that you don't.

Two Points:

- Obama didn't campaign as a progressive. If you saw a progressive, you didn't see it based on his campaign. You absolutely saw it in his earlier career and writings and associations, but as I recall asking about any of that was racist. A vote for Obama was a vote for "Hope." Contrary to popular belief, "Hope" is a nonpartisan concept. He sold himself. Obviously, there was wink-nudge as to what his actual agenda was, but to say he "campaigned as a progressive" implies he sold that platform instead of obfuscating and demurring when pressed (which was almost never.)

- He governed from the center in the sense that after his first two years, he stopped trying to do anything ambitious. This gives him something in common with most Presidents. The first two years were enough to consider him as "center" as Wilson, LBJ, etc.
MJW

Postby TheChefO » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am

MJW wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:It's scary that you don't.

Two Points:

- Obama didn't campaign as a progressive. If you saw a progressive, you didn't see it based on his campaign. You absolutely saw it in his earlier career and writings and associations, but as I recall asking about any of that was racist. A vote for Obama was a vote for "Hope." Contrary to popular belief, "Hope" is a nonpartisan concept. He sold himself. Obviously, there was wink-nudge as to what his actual agenda was, but to say he "campaigned as a progressive" implies he sold that platform instead of obfuscating and demurring when pressed (which was almost never.)

- He governed from the center in the sense that after his first two years, he stopped trying to do anything ambitious. This gives him something in common with most Presidents. The first two years were enough to consider him as "center" as Wilson, LBJ, etc.

At a time when the gov was bailing out left and right spending OVER a trillion, I figured his plan of spending more on infrastructure ("shovel ready jobs") was better than McCain's. Turns out, he couldn't even get that part done right. When money was cheap and labor was plenty was the time to rebuild roads, schools, bridges, etc. and as a side bonus, would have helped keep the economy afloat. Instead, typical kickbacks to "friends" and donors and here we are a decade later and it's yet one more thing Trump has to clean up due to prior president's failures.
TheChefO

Return to Politics and Religion