Florida Politics.

A Place to respectfully discuss those topics that you should never discuss.
Re: Florida Politics.

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:It would seem DeSantis is smarter than I give him credit for.

I personally don’t think DeSantis is very smart, despite the Harvard degree. But I agree that he would have to be very smart to account for your theories regarding his monkey comment.

You adamantly refuse to accept that it can be anything other than intentional, racist subterfuge to undermine Gillum and win the election by manipulating the electorate through racial code language or something like that it seems.

Yes, I assume the man has to be brilliant to pull that off because in your world DeSantis must be racist. Though I have a hard time believing you would judge Uncle Joe Biden so harshly for making the same gaffe. It would just be an mistake if Biden said it.

You seem to be having what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity.

We agree that DeSantis is not particularly brilliant, and I think we also agree that he is most likely not a vicious racist. So why the tactic?

Drag Gillum into the gutter and beat him with experience. If Gillum spends all his time attacking DeSantis for being a racist ass-hat, he gains no ground.

Strategy sounds familiar to me.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Selmon Rules » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:

Does this mean that since I am a registered Republican, I endorse racists and Nazi ideology?? Simple question...

If we use truth tables then the answer is that it doesn’t “mean” that you endorse them. Nor does it exclude you. So you tell me and I will take you at your word as I have no proof otherwise: Do you endorse racists and Nazi ideology? Simple question...

Nope, can't stand them but I do believe it is their right to be ignorant.... I guess it's that last part that makes me a Republican??
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Swashy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Buc2 wrote:My god, you're ignorant.

Bruh did you just assume my intelligence level?

#triggered
Swashy

Postby Babeinbucland » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:
If we use truth tables then the answer is that it doesn’t “mean” that you endorse them. Nor does it exclude you. So you tell me and I will take you at your word as I have no proof otherwise: Do you endorse racists and Nazi ideology? Simple question...

Nope, can't stand them but I do believe it is their right to be ignorant.... I guess it's that last part that makes me a Republican??

Of course that is their right and I will defend it vigorously, loudly and every chance I get. Oops, sorry am I messing with your story of who I am? 8-)
Babeinbucland

Postby Babeinbucland » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:It would seem DeSantis is smarter than I give him credit for.

Nah he just learned the party line early and by rote. Well, I guess it is possible he went to racism school - wait - that could just be childhood 8-)
Babeinbucland

Postby Babeinbucland » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Buc2 wrote:My god, you're ignorant.

Wow, that was a deep and thoughtful rebuke. Just can’t bring yourself to quit me huh? :mrgreen:
Babeinbucland

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:
I personally don’t think DeSantis is very smart, despite the Harvard degree. But I agree that he would have to be very smart to account for your theories regarding his monkey comment.

You adamantly refuse to accept that it can be anything other than intentional, racist subterfuge to undermine Gillum and win the election by manipulating the electorate through racial code language or something like that it seems.

Yes, I assume the man has to be brilliant to pull that off because in your world DeSantis must be racist. Though I have a hard time believing you would judge Uncle Joe Biden so harshly for making the same gaffe. It would just be an mistake if Biden said it.

You seem to be having what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity.

We agree that DeSantis is not particularly brilliant, and I think we also agree that he is most likely not a vicious racist. So why the tactic?

Drag Gillum into the gutter and beat him with experience. If Gillum spends all his time attacking DeSantis for being a racist ass-hat, he gains no ground.

You have to assume so much for this to make sense (aka that the Republican Party is rife with racists, eye roll). When you look at this objectively, your tea leaf reading seems like the ramblings of Walter in The Big Lebowski.
Ken Carson

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:24 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You seem to be having what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity.

You have to assume so much for this to make sense (aka that the Republican Party is rife with racists, eye roll). When you look at this objectively, your tea leaf reading seems like the ramblings of Walter in The Big Lebowski.

You project too much.

IDGAF if DeSantis is a racist. Short of him throwing nazi salutes and calling Gillum a ****** (which he'll never do) this is going to be ambiguous and IMO, that is the point.

He is trying to turn Gillum into Maxine Waters. Have him yell and scream racism as early as possible to discredit him as early as possible.

The minute DeSantis has to debate policy is the minute he starts losing. IF Gillim is smart enough, he won't take the bait, and press DeSantis on policy.

That's what I'm waiting to see.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:07 pm

If you watch Gillum on Meet the Press then your wait is over. He refused to take the bait and all but threatened Desantis to step up his game. It was somewhat masterful.
Babeinbucland

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Gentlemen, and lady...can we set aside ideology this time and analyze the strategy here?

Nobody is moving anyone here from their ideological point of view and those of us Florida residents in this forum are likely to vote as they see fit regardless of anyone's posts. Can we simply analyze the race?

The way I see it is that the ball is in Gillum's court. What is the best thing he can do and what is the worst he can do?

I've made my case, let's talk about what might happen here rather than have the same ideological fight we keep having.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:55 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:If you watch Gillum on Meet the Press then your wait is over. He refused to take the bait and all but threatened Desantis to step up his game. It was somewhat masterful.

Meanwhile, while discussing actual issues:

“CNN's Dana Bash repeatedly pressed Florida Democratic gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum on Sunday over his support for a $33 trillion government-run health care system and how he intends to pay for it.”

2 minutes later...

“Still unable to answer the question, Gillum blamed President Donald Trump and Florida Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis for health care being expensive before he finally admitted that he will raise taxes on Florida businesses to pay for his plan.”
RedLeader

Postby Jonny » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:27 am

deltbucs wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:To be fair, you went from Ron Paul to Bernie.

Right...And I've said the whole time, and it should be clear from my posting history, that the biggest issue for me is fighting against government corruption. Was there a better candidate in either election on that issue? Who gives a **** what a politician's platform is if they aren't really working for the people that elected them? Honestly, I'm baffled that people will vote for someone like Trump or Clinton or Gillum or DeSantis based on what they say their platform is while they are taking in millions from special interests.
Dread said what his factors/issues are and I don't see any that align with Bernie.

One can have downright tyrannical policies and not be corrupt. As a libertarian, I'd vote for Hillary if the choice was between her and Bernie. I'd vote for Bernie if the choice was between him, Marx and Trotsky.
Jonny

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:20 am

Brazen331 wrote:

Pretty sure Biden has said worse.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 am

RedLeader wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:If you watch Gillum on Meet the Press then your wait is over. He refused to take the bait and all but threatened Desantis to step up his game. It was somewhat masterful.

“CNN's Dana Bash repeatedly pressed Florida Democratic gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum on Sunday over his support for a $33 trillion government-run health care system and how he intends to pay for it.”

2 minutes later...

“Still unable to answer the question, Gillum blamed President Donald Trump and Florida Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis for health care being expensive before he finally admitted that he will raise taxes on Florida businesses to pay for his plan.”

Gillum wants a "Confederacy of States". He's already stated on CNN last week that Healthcare for all as a single state solution is impossible.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 am

DreadNaught wrote:
RedLeader wrote:

2 minutes later...

Gillum wants a "Confederacy of States". He's already stated on CNN last week that Healthcare for all as a single state solution is impossible.

It's a national issue. On the state side, he wants Florida to do Medicaid expansion.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:01 am

Just seems odd that these democratic leaders are unable to back up their positions in a straight forward coherent manner. They all seem to tap dance, but cant ever seem to really explain the ‘how’ of their proposed “populist” policies without being cornered first...
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:08 am

RedLeader wrote:Just seems odd that these democratic leaders are unable to back up their positions in a straight forward coherent manner. They all seem to tap dance, but cant ever seem to really explain the ‘how’ of their proposed “populist” policies without being cornered first...

Republicans are looking for straightforward, coherent answers from political leaders?

That's rich.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 am

RedLeader wrote:Just seems odd that these democratic leaders are unable to back up their positions in a straight forward coherent manner. They all seem to tap dance, but cant ever seem to really explain the ‘how’ of their proposed “populist” policies without being cornered first...

Ummmm Obamacare was pretty darn straight forward in the how, when , where and why and cut my husbands and my premiums from $2400 A MONTH with a $5000 deductible to $500 a month with a $750 deductible. What is it that the republicans are offering to replace that? So far this week they have colluded with the insurance industries who donate heavily to the pubbers to scrap all policies for those with pre existing conditions, so now my husband and I are left with nothing. Oh wait, my bad, we can buy a supplemental policy to cover pre existing and now we are back to over 2 grand a month. No thanks trumphitlercare.
Babeinbucland

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:Nope, can't stand them but I do believe it is their right to be ignorant.... I guess it's that last part that makes me a Republican??

Of course that is their right and I will defend it vigorously, loudly and every chance I get. Oops, sorry am I messing with your story of who I am? 8-)

Nope.... Not always very consistent with it but then again, who is....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:31 pm

wrong thread

LOL
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Hot off the presses.

Friday, September 14, 2018

Democrat Andrew Gillum holds a six-point lead over Republican Ron DeSantis in the race to be Florida’s next governor.

The first Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey of the race finds that Gillum earns 48% support to DeSantis’ 42% among Likely Florida Voters. Two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate, and eight percent (8%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Among voters who say they are certain to vote in the upcoming election, Gillum leads 49% to 44%.

Current Republican Governor Rick Scott is term-limited and cannot seek reelection. He is running for the U.S. Senate against incumbent Democrat Bill Nelson, and the Florida Senate race is a virtual tie.

Forty-eight percent (48%) of Florida voters approve of the job Scott is doing; 47% disapprove. This includes 30% who Strongly Approve and 32% who Strongly Disapprove.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NavyBuc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:59 pm

He's gonna get the teachers vote and the black vote. That's a big piece of the Florida population right there. At first I didn't think he had much of a shot, but now I actually think he has a good shot at winning. I actually thought Putnam gave the repubs a better shot at beating Graham but voters on both sides went the other way.
NavyBuc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:11 pm

NavyBuc wrote:He's gonna get the teachers vote and the black vote. That's a big piece of the Florida population right there. At first I didn't think he had much of a shot, but now I actually think he has a good shot at winning. I actually thought Putnam gave the repubs a better shot at beating Graham but voters on both sides went the other way.

Yeah, Gillum came out of nowhere. I'd have voted for him if I knew Sanders endorsed him. I went from "meh" to kind of excited.

This one is going to be all about turnout. Undecided is less than 10% and those folks typically don't show up in mid term elections.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Just like Desantis monkey comment, I am sure this is just a coincident - poor guy got fired for just resting his head differently than most

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... d_nn_fb_ma
Babeinbucland

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:Just like Desantis monkey comment, I am sure this is just a coincident - poor guy got fired for just resting his head differently than most

I never heard of the ok symbol meaning white power until this year. This guy definitely flashed that symbol weirdly though.

Edit: I don’t think I really care though tbh. Hearing that he was reprimanded is fine, but I wish it didn’t garner such big news.
PrimeMinister

Postby RedLeader » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:Just like Desantis monkey comment, I am sure this is just a coincident - poor guy got fired for just resting his head differently than most

Are you insinuating that any potentially racist folks that may be currently inhabiting the US somehow translates into Desantis being a racist?

This **** didn't even happen in Florida. lol

Holy virtue signaling gymnastics, batman!
RedLeader

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:15 pm

I don't like his politics, but he's got a point, babe.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:59 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

I never heard of the ok symbol meaning white power until this year. This guy definitely flashed that symbol weirdly though.

Edit: I don’t think I really care though tbh. Hearing that he was reprimanded is fine, but I wish it didn’t garner such big news.

Apparently this is how they now connect with each other, through their fabulous racism that they’re all proud of everything.

Here is a picture of members of the Jasper, Alabama Police force. 4 of them are making the white power symbol They were suspended for this and docked a week's pay. The mayor said they showed poor judgment.
Babeinbucland

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I don't like his politics, but he's got a point, babe.

No,he doesn’t. In fact he misses the point completely. So I will spell it out for him And others who seem destine to miss it. When DeSantis made the monkey comment, many on this board said that it had nothing to do with racism. I said it is a dog whistle to those who run in those circles, and speak in those terms, to signal the connectedness of racism to each other and his (and trumps) base. Now we see people all over the place throwing these white supremacist signals out to each other and because hopefully most on this board do not run in those circles they are oblivious to it, Just like they are oblivious to the monkey Comment. Just like the swastika on my car. So to be crystal clear my point is that there’s plenty of racist things going on that people - who are not aware of the subtleties or haven’t studied the history - will miss, minimize and call those of us who are pointing it out as overreacting or pulling things out of the air. No, this is the times we live in now. Scary times and to ignore this resurgence is dangerous.
Babeinbucland

Postby HamBone » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 am

Babeinbucland wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Apparently this is how they now connect with each other, through their fabulous racism that they’re all proud of everything.

Here is a picture of members of the Jasper, Alabama Police force. 4 of them are making the white power symbol They were suspended for this and docked a week's pay. The mayor said they showed poor judgment.

That’s a pretty popular game in the military...if someone looks at the circle you get to smack their nuts.
HamBone

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Religion