European Travel

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
European Travel

Postby Crocaneers » Sat May 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Yes .. it's time ... hitting across the pond first week of June with lil Croc (13 year old daughter) and the Mrs ..

We are going to London and Paris

Any advice on what to see, what to miss, what to do, etc is greatly appreciated
Crocaneers

Re: European Travel

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat May 16, 2015 10:27 pm

Taking the Chunnel to get across the English channel?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Sun May 17, 2015 8:34 am

How long are you guys going to be in each place? It makes a difference when planning trips like this.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun May 17, 2015 9:48 am

I will be in scotland for a week at the same time ....we travel a lot so a couple of flight tips.
Rule #1 always keep your passport safe and know where it is. Put it in a safe in the hotel and/or make a photo copy of id page to carry.
Rule # 2 Always bring ear plugs (cheap Home Depot ones) and mp3/ music.
Jason Bourne

Postby Nano » Sun May 17, 2015 11:46 am

Don't tell anyone that you're American or a tourist. If you're told not to go near certain places/roads/ect....don't be adventerous. Notice your surroundings...by that I mean, do you always seems to be noticing the same exact car(if it's a van, run!)/person/group all the time? Be very cautious.

Oh, and do have fun.
Nano

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun May 17, 2015 11:49 am

Nano wrote:Don't tell anyone that you're American or a tourist. If you're told not to go near certain places/roads/ect....don't be adventerous. Notice your surroundings...by that I mean, do you always seems to be noticing the same exact car(if it's a van, run!)/person/group all the time? Be very cautious.

Oh, and do have fun.

And stay away from large groups of Muslims burning the American flag ...
Jason Bourne

Postby Nano » Sun May 17, 2015 11:54 am

If you need to be told that, then you deserve anything that comes to you. Though, very low chance you see an extremeist group like that, especially in London. In Paris, you'll more likely see sign wavers.
Nano

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun May 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Nano wrote:If you need to be told that, then you deserve anything that comes to you. Though, very low chance you see an extremeist group like that, especially in London. In Paris, you'll more likely see sign wavers.

I was joking but I do travel to SE Asia and have been to South Thailand where our gov has travel warnings for us to stay away from large groups of people ...ie: muslims
Jason Bourne

Postby Nano » Sun May 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Oh, those warnings are just so you don't accidentally run into Java. He's probably partying with those large ladyboy groups.
Nano

Postby Crocaneers » Sun May 17, 2015 2:03 pm

Cheb wrote:How long are you guys going to be in each place? It makes a difference when planning trips like this.

Great point
London 5 days
France 3 days
Crocaneers

Postby .irishHITMAN4rent » Sun May 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Worked in London for a few years, beautiful city...you should try the Boris bikes to get about, best craic you'll have with your pants on:)
.irishHITMAN4rent

Postby Crocaneers » Mon May 18, 2015 5:42 am

We may leave this up to lil Croc .. we have done the Prudential in Boston, Westin in ATL, and something tall in Philly (don't recall the specifics). It's a great way to see the city, so I don't know if I want to do the same ole ... or something different. If anyone has experience (or opinion) in either ..

Two choices

The Shard

the Eye
Crocaneers

Postby Jessie's Girl » Mon May 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Sounds fun!!

(you know I can't resist posting this!) :P

Jessie's Girl

Postby NYBF » Mon May 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
Cheb wrote:How long are you guys going to be in each place? It makes a difference when planning trips like this.

Great point
London 5 days
France 3 days

So what you're saying is you'll see London, you'll see France?
NYBF

Postby Kress » Mon May 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Nano wrote:Don't tell anyone that you're American or a tourist.

Ummm.... They'll know.

Anyway, I've never been to London, but I've been to Paris a few times. Of course go see the tower, and find a nice restaurant to watch it at night when they turn the strobes on. At the top of the hour from sundown until 11:00, I think? Just a cool sight.

If you are museum people, the Louvre is obviously huge, but I would urge you toward the Orsay instead. The Louvre has art, of course, but also a lot of artifacts. They are cool in their own right, but the Orsay gives you much better access to the art and some incredible stuff.

In town, visit the Ile St. Louis. It is one of the two islands in the middle of the Seine, right across the bridge from Notre Dame - which you will of course also want to see. It is a pedestrian-only area, with the exception of cabs, and has some of the best restaurants around. There is a street that goes around the outside, and then one that goes down the middle. Go down the middle and eat at the restaurant across from the big cheese shop. I can't remember the name, but you'll find it. Awesome mom and pop French food. Cassoulet, duck confit, etc....

If you're into strange history type stuff, you can also visit the underground catacombs. Interesting and weird at the same time.

Finally, if you do not speak French, download Google Translate and tee it up on your phone. The French get a reputation for being rude, but they're really not. They are prideful. They don't like it if you go to their country and expect them to speak English, any more than we would like it if they came here and demanded that we speak French. Now they can all speak English, mind you, and will divert to it automatically when they hear your accent, but I always found that they appreciate the effort. Learn how to say that you have a reservation, how to ask for water, where the bathroom is, if you can have a wine list, etc., and you will be treated very well.

Have fun!
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Kress wrote:
Nano wrote:Don't tell anyone that you're American or a tourist.

Ummm.... They'll know.

Anyway, I've never been to London, but I've been to Paris a few times. Of course go see the tower, and find a nice restaurant to watch it at night when they turn the strobes on. At the top of the hour from sundown until 11:00, I think? Just a cool sight.

If you are museum people, the Louvre is obviously huge, but I would urge you toward the Orsay instead. The Louvre has art, of course, but also a lot of artifacts. They are cool in their own right, but the Orsay gives you much better access to the art and some incredible stuff.

In town, visit the Ile St. Louis. It is one of the two islands in the middle of the Seine, right across the bridge from Notre Dame - which you will of course also want to see. It is a pedestrian-only area, with the exception of cabs, and has some of the best restaurants around. There is a street that goes around the outside, and then one that goes down the middle. Go down the middle and eat at the restaurant across from the big cheese shop. I can't remember the name, but you'll find it. Awesome mom and pop French food. Cassoulet, duck confit, etc....

If you're into strange history type stuff, you can also visit the underground catacombs. Interesting and weird at the same time.

Finally, if you do not speak French, download Google Translate and tee it up on your phone. The French get a reputation for being rude, but they're really not. They are prideful. They don't like it if you go to their country and expect them to speak English, any more than we would like it if they came here and demanded that we speak French. Now they can all speak English, mind you, and will divert to it automatically when they hear your accent, but I always found that they appreciate the effort. Learn how to say that you have a reservation, how to ask for water, where the bathroom is, if you can have a wine list, etc., and you will be treated very well.

Have fun!

I've found that last part works well in most every foreign country. At least make a valiant attempt to speak the local language. :-)
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buzz Killington » Thu May 21, 2015 4:15 am

My advice is to do something most wouldn't and have a day out of London for a nicer representation of England. Hire a car and go visit some little villages in the Cotswolds or something.

Within London I can recommend the imperial war museum. It's really well done, think it would hold your kids attention plus it's free.

Also told a tour of parliament is good but not done it myself. Think you have to book ahead.

Then the other obvious is nipping round on the tube to see the usual tourist things: tower bridge, Tower of London, Big Ben, Buckingham palace, St. Paul's cathedral, the globe theatre etc etc
Buzz Killington

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 21, 2015 9:56 am

What is there to eat in England OTHER than fish and chips?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buzz Killington » Thu May 21, 2015 10:38 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:What is there to eat in England OTHER than fish and chips?

Curry.
Buzz Killington

Postby Grim Reaper » Thu May 21, 2015 11:26 am

Hmmm - something off the wall...

While in London, I recommend visiting a dentist's office...
Grim Reaper

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:20 am

Just got back Sunday from 10 days in Greece where the wife and I hit up Santorini - Mykonos - Athens. We had debated between Greece and Italy and are very satisfied with our decision.

If anyone is thinking of European vacation I strongly recommend Greece.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 am

DreadNaught wrote:Just got back Sunday from 10 days in Greece where the wife and I hit up Santorini - Mykonos - Athens. We had debated between Greece and Italy and are very satisfied with our decision.

I loved Greece apart from Athens...when I went (in the late 90's) it was a filthy dump. The acropolis was awesome but the city itself sucked.

Has it changed at all?
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:18 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Just got back Sunday from 10 days in Greece where the wife and I hit up Santorini - Mykonos - Athens. We had debated between Greece and Italy and are very satisfied with our decision.

I loved Greece apart from Athens...when I went (in the late 90's) it was a filthy dump. The acropolis was awesome but the city itself sucked.

Has it changed at all?

We had 2 full days in Athens and like you stated the Acropolis was phenomenal and pretty much takes a whole day. We stayed pretty close to there and were able to walk everywhere (our Hotel overlooked The Temple of Olympian Zeus/Olympieion).

The streets in the The Plaka (area full of taverns/cafes, shopping, etc) were beautiful and even the when we ventured out a bit on foot the streets were clean. The only issue I had was there was alot of graffiti everywhere.

I don't think anyone would needs more than 2 full days in Athens. We saw everything in the immediate area and had we stayed longer we would've rented a car and traveled to some place like up in the countryside, Delphi, or Sparta.

Last edited by DreadNaught on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 am

they still have police with uzi's on street corners?
Zarniwoop

Postby Stuart » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:24 am

bath and stonehenge is a nice daytrip in London

St. Abby is a must do....and of course the castles

would recommend the street markets as well\

and have the hotel get your taxi. much nicer, and less pricey than the funky car cabs there
Stuart

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am

Zarniwoop wrote:they still have police with uzi's on street corners?

lol, first thing I noticed after we checked in to our hotel and ventured out into The Plaka was actual police in uniform. They were not on street corners with uzi's, but they were groups of 3-4 sitting in SUVs at various spots. Seemed like of a reaction force/deterrent more than anything.

In both Santorini and Mykonos we didn't see a single policemen in uniform. When I asked why, I was told they (police) are everywhere but dressed as locals.

Maybe if you get more off the beaten path in Athens it would be unsavory, but it was beautiful everywhere we went in the Acropolis, Plaka, and Syntagma Square areas.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:05 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:they still have police with uzi's on street corners?

lol, first thing I noticed after we checked in to our hotel and ventured out into The Plaka was actual police in uniform. They were not on street corners with uzi's, but they were groups of 3-4 sitting in SUVs at various spots. Seemed like of a reaction force/deterrent more than anything.

In both Santorini and Mykonos we didn't see a single policemen in uniform. When I asked why, I was told they (police) are everywhere but dressed as locals.

Maybe if you get more off the beaten path in Athens it would be unsavory, but it was beautiful everywhere we went in the Acropolis, Plaka, and Syntagma Square areas.

That's what they did in Alexandria, Egypt when I was there.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Buc2 wrote:

Now there is a place I've always wanted to go...along with Cairo
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

Now there is a place I've always wanted to go...along with Cairo

Went to Cairo too. It was part of a Giza pyramid excursion me and a buddy from my ship went on. It was an awesome experience. Cairo is where my father was born and raised, so I was really geeked about that trip.

Edit to finish (had to go to a quick meeting): We weren't able to really explore Cairo since it was part of an excursion. They took us to visit a mosque that was, supposedly, the largest in Egypt. It was on top of a hill that they said was the highest elevation in Cairo so you could see the entire city below and the pyramids off in the distance. Went to the Cairo Museum where we were able to view King Tut's exhibit. Then the pyramids where I got to stand on one and even rode a camel. Not sure they let people stand on them anymore.

Alexandria was where our ship was anchored, so I got to do a lot more exploring there. Visited the old palace grounds where the last of Egypt's monarchs lived and ran their government. The markets. The hashish bars (off limits for us navy guys of course). The people. The culture. Simply fascinating. There was a lot of poverty as well, though. Still, that was a big part of Egypt as well and I felt it added to the experience...making it more real. It definitely was visual proof of just how much better off our poor are in comparison.

If/when they become politically stable again, I'd love to go back.
Last edited by Buc2 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:41 pm

how long ago did you go?
Zarniwoop

Next

Return to Off Topic