** Official TV Show Thread **

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
post

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:50 am

real bucs fan wrote:Watching I Am A Killer on Netflix. Pretty good. A couple of the episodes have pretty stunning revelations, a couple of others not so much. But the show does a great job of efficiently telling the story from all sides and letting the audience make up their minds.



I've watched the 1st two. They are pretty good. Making a murderer was much better

On I am A Killer you can tell the narrative on the 1st episode is that he was sentenced the early and harshly and may have had a shot at life if not for his bad upbringing. The second episode was more of they got it wrong/he did not do it. Of the show and making a murderer, the narrative is clear. The system is flawed and they are looking to show that to the world. I enjoyed the shows, but I am not sure the pressure they will be putting on the judicial systems is fair as your viewing the information as they want you to see it. i.e. biased AGAINST the judicial system. I know it has flaws, but I'm not sure I trust a TV show vying for ratings over a jury and the judicial system. Making a Murderer was EXTREMELY damning and anyone who watched it would come away with they had it in for the guy and set it up. It was much more in depth though, like the staircase series which I have yet to watch.
Stuart
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:24 am

Stuart wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Watching I Am A Killer on Netflix. Pretty good. A couple of the episodes have pretty stunning revelations, a couple of others not so much. But the show does a great job of efficiently telling the story from all sides and letting the audience make up their minds.



I've watched the 1st two. They are pretty good. Making a murderer was much better

On I am A Killer you can tell the narrative on the 1st episode is that he was sentenced the early and harshly and may have had a shot at life if not for his bad upbringing. The second episode was more of they got it wrong/he did not do it. Of the show and making a murderer, the narrative is clear. The system is flawed and they are looking to show that to the world. I enjoyed the shows, but I am not sure the pressure they will be putting on the judicial systems is fair as your viewing the information as they want you to see it. i.e. biased AGAINST the judicial system. I know it has flaws, but I'm not sure I trust a TV show vying for ratings over a jury and the judicial system. Making a Murderer was EXTREMELY damning and anyone who watched it would come away with they had it in for the guy and set it up. It was much more in depth though, like the staircase series which I have yet to watch.

There are definitely episodes where it's clear at the end that "this guy is scum and deserves the needle". I think the show does a great job of not telling anyone what to think and just giving the information and showing all sides and allowing people to make up your own minds.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 918 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 am

Rocker wrote:I suggest you folks give Letterkenny a shot.

Between TPB and Letterkenny I think rural comedy is the strength of the Canadian film/tv industry. Guess it's hard to make hard hitting drama when all the characters are hosers :lol:
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 918 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 am

Stuart wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Watching I Am A Killer on Netflix. Pretty good. A couple of the episodes have pretty stunning revelations, a couple of others not so much. But the show does a great job of efficiently telling the story from all sides and letting the audience make up their minds.


Making a Murderer was EXTREMELY damning and anyone who watched it would come away with they had it in for the guy and set it up. It was much more in depth though, like the staircase series which I have yet to watch.

Making a Murderer was also obviously skewed to tell the story they wanted to tell. Key evidence was left out. I think it's pretty obvious he's guilty.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:48 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Stuart wrote:

I've watched the 1st two. They are pretty good. Making a murderer was much better

On I am A Killer you can tell the narrative on the 1st episode is that he was sentenced the early and harshly and may have had a shot at life if not for his bad upbringing. The second episode was more of they got it wrong/he did not do it. Of the show and making a murderer, the narrative is clear. The system is flawed and they are looking to show that to the world. I enjoyed the shows, but I am not sure the pressure they will be putting on the judicial systems is fair as your viewing the information as they want you to see it. i.e. biased AGAINST the judicial system. I know it has flaws, but I'm not sure I trust a TV show vying for ratings over a jury and the judicial system. Making a Murderer was EXTREMELY damning and anyone who watched it would come away with they had it in for the guy and set it up. It was much more in depth though, like the staircase series which I have yet to watch.

There are definitely episodes where it's clear at the end that "this guy is scum and deserves the needle". I think the show does a great job of not telling anyone what to think and just giving the information and showing all sides and allowing people to make up your own minds.



yeah, that guy on the 1st episode looked like pure evil. I turned it on once, and then turned it off. only on a bored day did I get through it. that guy was evil, but he never had a chance from his teen years..........still think he would have turned out evil. second episode guy was smooth talker. i bought it hook line and sinker until the other side of the story came out.

as to making a murderer.......i just don't see those guys being guilty. stupid as dirt and the bottom of the gene pool yeah, but way too many inconsistencies, and the cops definitely planted stuff.
Stuart
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:49 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Making a Murderer was EXTREMELY damning and anyone who watched it would come away with they had it in for the guy and set it up. It was much more in depth though, like the staircase series which I have yet to watch.

Making a Murderer was also obviously skewed to tell the story they wanted to tell. Key evidence was left out. I think it's pretty obvious he's guilty.



what was left out?
Stuart
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:06 am

Stuart wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Making a Murderer was also obviously skewed to tell the story they wanted to tell. Key evidence was left out. I think it's pretty obvious he's guilty.



what was left out?


A quick google search will tell you:

I just pasted these from a website. The makers made some sort of statement after the prosecutor called it a work of fiction that they had time restraints and couldn't include all the details from the case.

1. The leg irons, shackles, handcuffs in Avery's possession. There were also sets in Dassey's mothers house.
2. The Domestic disturbance and issues between Avery and his girlfriend.
3. Halbach's car key had Avery's sweat on it. The show talks about the DNA found, which they claim was planted, but ignored that his sweat was also found on it.
4. Dassey's mother told police that Avery's clothes were covered in bleach because he stained them from cleaning his uncle's garage.
5. The type of pornography recovered at Avery's house.
6. The animal cruelty arrest where Avery violated his probation when he was caught burning a cat alive in a bonfire.
7. The drawings Avery made in prison of torturing women.
8. Avery allegedly opened his door 'just wearing a towel. She was creeped out [by him]. ... She [went to her employer and] said she would not go back because she was scared of him.'"
9. Avery called AutoTrader to request Halbach the die she died.
10. Avery repeatedly called Halbach's phone using *67.
11. Avery gave a false name when he called Auto trader.
12. The burnt bone fragments were mixed with steel tire belts.
13. Avery's blood was found in 6 places in Halbach's car and his sweat was on the hood latch.
14. Avery's rifle matched the bullet with the Hallbach's DNA
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 am

I think it's fairly obvious Avery is guilty. I'm not sure about Dassey.

edit: After other Google searches there was more that was left out, but those seem to be the most important.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Stuart wrote:

what was left out?


A quick google search will tell you:

I just pasted these from a website. The makers made some sort of statement after the prosecutor called it a work of fiction that they had time restraints and couldn't include all the details from the case.

1. The leg irons, shackles, handcuffs in Avery's possession. There were also sets in Dassey's mothers house.
2. The Domestic disturbance and issues between Avery and his girlfriend.
3. Halbach's car key had Avery's sweat on it. The show talks about the DNA found, which they claim was planted, but ignored that his sweat was also found on it.
4. Dassey's mother told police that Avery's clothes were covered in bleach because he stained them from cleaning his uncle's garage.
5. The type of pornography recovered at Avery's house.
6. The animal cruelty arrest where Avery violated his probation when he was caught burning a cat alive in a bonfire.
7. The drawings Avery made in prison of torturing women.
8. Avery allegedly opened his door 'just wearing a towel. She was creeped out [by him]. ... She [went to her employer and] said she would not go back because she was scared of him.'"
9. Avery called AutoTrader to request Halbach the die she died.
10. Avery repeatedly called Halbach's phone using *67.
11. Avery gave a false name when he called Auto trader.
12. The burnt bone fragments were mixed with steel tire belts.
13. Avery's blood was found in 6 places in Halbach's car and his sweat was on the hood latch.
14. Avery's rifle matched the bullet with the Hallbach's DNA


interesting. personally i think bobby dassey, the nephew, and her ex boyfriend seemed VERY VERY suspicious. the defense is supposed to be coming out with a show of their own.

either way they did not seem concerned with looking to see if someone else might of done it. to me it seemed like the perfect "frame" job.
Stuart
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:18 am

Stuart wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
A quick google search will tell you:

I just pasted these from a website. The makers made some sort of statement after the prosecutor called it a work of fiction that they had time restraints and couldn't include all the details from the case.

1. The leg irons, shackles, handcuffs in Avery's possession. There were also sets in Dassey's mothers house.
2. The Domestic disturbance and issues between Avery and his girlfriend.
3. Halbach's car key had Avery's sweat on it. The show talks about the DNA found, which they claim was planted, but ignored that his sweat was also found on it.
4. Dassey's mother told police that Avery's clothes were covered in bleach because he stained them from cleaning his uncle's garage.
5. The type of pornography recovered at Avery's house.
6. The animal cruelty arrest where Avery violated his probation when he was caught burning a cat alive in a bonfire.
7. The drawings Avery made in prison of torturing women.
8. Avery allegedly opened his door 'just wearing a towel. She was creeped out [by him]. ... She [went to her employer and] said she would not go back because she was scared of him.'"
9. Avery called AutoTrader to request Halbach the die she died.
10. Avery repeatedly called Halbach's phone using *67.
11. Avery gave a false name when he called Auto trader.
12. The burnt bone fragments were mixed with steel tire belts.
13. Avery's blood was found in 6 places in Halbach's car and his sweat was on the hood latch.
14. Avery's rifle matched the bullet with the Hallbach's DNA


interesting. personally i think bobby dassey, the nephew, and her ex boyfriend seemed VERY VERY suspicious. the defense is supposed to be coming out with a show of their own.

either way they did not seem concerned with looking to see if someone else might of done it. to me it seemed like the perfect "frame" job.

The documentary makers did their job.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:20 am

uscbucsfan wrote:I think it's fairly obvious Avery is guilty. I'm not sure about Dassey.

edit: After other Google searches there was more that was left out, but those seem to be the most important.



avery seemed shady as ****, no doubt. but there were soooo many things pointing to him...I don't see anyone being that friggen stupid!
Stuart
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 am

Stuart wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I think it's fairly obvious Avery is guilty. I'm not sure about Dassey.

edit: After other Google searches there was more that was left out, but those seem to be the most important.



avery seemed shady as ****, no doubt. but there were soooo many things pointing to him...I don't see anyone being that friggen stupid!

Seriously? That's why you think he's innocent? The guy has an extremely low IQ and is possibly mentally retarded. That doesn't mean he's not a killer. There's a ton of stupid criminals in the world. They get their own highlight reels on Youtube. Are they innocent too?
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Stuart wrote:

avery seemed shady as ****, no doubt. but there were soooo many things pointing to him...I don't see anyone being that friggen stupid!

Seriously? That's why you think he's innocent? The guy has an extremely low IQ and is possibly mentally retarded. That doesn't mean he's not a killer. There's a ton of stupid criminals in the world. They get their own highlight reels on Youtube. Are they innocent too?


like you said, the documentary makers did their job. I wouldn't say I think he's innocent, I would say there are huge holes in the cops side based on the documentary.
Stuart
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Swashy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:57 am

Mike and Nacho are going to singlehandedly save BCS
Swashy
 
Posts: 3539
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 pm

The new Jack Ryan series on Amazon is fantastic. John Krasinski does a really good job as Jack Ryan.
Image

Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on
User avatar
EastBayBucsFan
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:41 pm
Location: my shangri la beneath the summer moon
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:18 pm

EastBayBucsFan wrote:The new Jack Ryan series on Amazon is fantastic. John Krasinski does a really good job as Jack Ryan.

It's surprisingly good.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 4995
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:26 pm

EastBayBucsFan wrote:The new Jack Ryan series on Amazon is fantastic. John Krasinski does a really good job as Jack Ryan.


Mrs PM and I binged the entire season on Sunday. It’s pretty ****ing great.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 8597
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:31 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
EastBayBucsFan wrote:The new Jack Ryan series on Amazon is fantastic. John Krasinski does a really good job as Jack Ryan.


Mrs PM and I binged the entire season on Sunday. It’s pretty ****ing great.


Yeah same here, I watched the whole thing in between football games this weekend.
Image

Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on
User avatar
EastBayBucsFan
 
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:41 pm
Location: my shangri la beneath the summer moon
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Well if you 3 liked it, I’ll rule it out
:P
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6476
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Well if you 3 liked it, I’ll rule it out
:P


My appreciation of this show just increased by 37%.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 8597
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Lol


Touche
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 6476
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Teitan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:56 pm

Starting it right now, actually.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby NYBF » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:20 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Well if you 3 liked it, I’ll rule it out
:P


My appreciation of this show just increased by 37%.


Your political freedom went down 12.2% and your mining went up 2.6%.
Image
Image
User avatar
NYBF
 
Posts: 6109
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 504 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:36 am

Caught bits and pieces while Wifey binged. Impressive acting, to say the least.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Upper deck of the Old Sombrero
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 215 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Buc2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:31 pm

I've been a fan of Clancy's work since I read Red Storm Rising way back in the 80's. Not sure if he's involved with this series other than, perhaps, receiving some royalties. Glad to hear you guys are liking it. I'll definitely give Jack Ryan a watch.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11540
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 952 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 pm

Big fan of Clancy's work and adaptations to TV.

I finished the Jack Ryan series on Prime and recommend it.

The storyline and acting were great. If I did have a critique is was with some of the lazy writing in specific parts.
Spoiler:
Like the daughter being able to chat via that game with her brother while in CIA protective custody as if the CIA wouldn't be suppressing and controlling all communications. The writers of the show should've found a better way to make that connection.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 13170
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 541 times
Been thanked: 570 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Teitan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Buc2 wrote:Not sure if he's involved with this series other than, perhaps, receiving some royalties.



Spoiler:
He’s dead.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Buc2 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Teitan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Not sure if he's involved with this series other than, perhaps, receiving some royalties.



Spoiler:
He’s dead.

:lol: Well...guess that's a no.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11540
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 952 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:25 pm

EastBayBucsFan wrote:The new Jack Ryan series on Amazon is fantastic. John Krasinski does a really good job as Jack Ryan.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. Liking it so far. The dude that plays Greer is awesome. He's on another show I watch...Suits.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 11540
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 952 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Buc2 wrote:
EastBayBucsFan wrote:The new Jack Ryan series on Amazon is fantastic. John Krasinski does a really good job as Jack Ryan.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night. Liking it so far. The dude that plays Greer is awesome. He's on another show I watch...Suits.


I liked the interaction between Greer and Ryan. The writers avoided the temptation to make Greer the “dumb ***hole boss who doesn’t get it”. They chose to make him a boss who actually understands WTF is going on below him.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 8597
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 227 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests