** Official TV Show Thread **

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:09 pm

The Red wedding was the most gruesome thing I'd ever seen on television.

...mostly because I missed Oswald getting shot live.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:13 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The Red wedding was the most gruesome thing I'd ever seen on television.

...mostly because I missed Oswald getting shot live.

I think there are a few deaths in GoT that are on that level. Glenn's death in TWD was also up there, but the RW overall was one of the crazier episodes. I feel like it's ruined for people just getting into the show.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:18 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:
Just that "style" of fantasy, I guess. I've always felt the same way about LotR, too.

LotR is super boring. I hated the series. GoT is like Sapranos meets LOST with dragons and magic mixed in. A lot of story, characterization, twist, connections, fodder/seeds for fan theories, gore, sex, etc.

It's really well done.

WHAAAA???!!!! LOTR in my opinion is the greatest story ever told, better than Star Wars now since Disney couldn't resist the urge to completely **** it up. But that style of fantasy yeah, not everyone gets behind magic, dragons, sword fighting and gallant knights. But somehow to me LOTR put it all together so brilliantly. I can almost never sit through a 3 hour movie but I'll be damned if that series didn't do the trick. But I am getting a sense of plot twists, connections, etc. It didn't take me long to figure out the first family lineage plot twist and I can only imagine how much more messed up it gets from there.

I can't wait to see what kind of sick **** Jon Snow has to deal with from beyond the wall.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:32 pm

TWD lost the entire meaning of its existence once the group got to Alexandria. Watching that show is like being asked to voluntarily take something that makes you sicker than hell, be admitted to a hospital and then after 3 weeks the doctors just say **** it and stop showing up. You don't know what is wrong with you any more after day 21 than you did on day 1 but they insist you're gonna get better eventually and you have to HAVE TO stick around for the saline drip and the next invasive test that's not going to determine what's actually wrong with you any better than the first 10 tests. Any time Lady Swashy tells me someone dies I'm literally like "And??"

Wasting time in a hospital. Christ I just realized that I described the movie "The Cure For Wellness" now there's 2 hours of my life I desperately wish I could take back. If anyone wants to see that movie don't. It's literally just a movie about an unlikable douchebag protagonist digging around a "hospital" to eventually discover the plot of a fake doctor who is like 300 years old and is desperate beyond comprehension to impregnate his own daughter.
Swashy

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:57 am

Just started watching two things and I'm addicted- The People vs. OJ Simpson and The Confession Tapes

Highly recommend both. I also need people to discuss these with lol
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:07 am

Just finished season 3 of Gotham on Netflix last night. I like the show although it's a bit hokey at times.

Season 3 was good though. That virus was a nice storyline and I love how the show incorporates so many of the Batman related themes and characters into one show.

The character that plays Bruce Wayne isn't my favorite. He'll be tough sell on screen as the Dark Knight because he seems very veganish to me.
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:55 am

DreadNaught wrote:Just finished season 3 of Gotham on Netflix last night. I like the show although it's a bit hokey at times.

Season 3 was good though. That virus was a nice storyline and I love how the show incorporates so many of the Batman related themes and characters into one show.

The character that plays Bruce Wayne isn't my favorite. He'll be tough sell on screen as the Dark Knight because he seems very veganish to me.

Oh you’re going to just love Season 4.
PrimeMinister

Postby deltbucs » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:23 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

I liked Peaky Blinders...I'm a big Cilian Murphy fan...plus Tom Hardy had a good role (even if it was small).

I thought the only time it got close to jumping the shark was when Murphy started working with the gov't.

I just started the third season. I have loved it so far, but I'm not a huge fan of that angle or how the third season is starting off. I'm really hoping they scale back some.

Just got done with Peaky Blinders. Not really the type of show I generally watch, but I thought it was phenomenal. Really good acting and some good characters. The 4th season got a little dragged out and I'm not thrilled about how it ended/how next season will start, but I really enjoyed the series.
deltbucs

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:37 pm

So Netflix is coming out with a new series. A remake of, Lost In Space. I’ll definitely check it out.

Correction...it’s already out. They made it available on tithe 13th. 10 episodes.
Last edited by Buc2 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Anyone here watching, The Crossing? 2 episode in, it’s bee pretty good so far. From the creators of, Lost, so I’m a bit leery that it’s going to become some inane plotless bodoggle like Lost turned into.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Just start watching DARK on Netflix, I like the concept and personally think it’s better than Stranger Things
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 03, 2018 9:16 am

First 2 episodes of Cobra Kai are free on youtube. Watched them last night.

Not exactly the most compelling television out there, but it is nostalgic and more amusing than it would be if this were a series starting out from nothing. You find yourself rooting for both Daniel and Johnny despite the fact that they are rekindling their rivalry and I expect the audience to be forced to pick a side which is a great idea so I'll give a good grade for writing. The presentation of the show itself watches like a bad Aaron Spelling show from 1993 because you can plainly see the small budget they are working with. Macchio's performance is not great, but it's still believable. Zabka is stealing the show at this point. The rest of the characters are little more than window dressing thus far.

Verdict. Good writing + low budget = potential. They need to build subplot for the kids in the series and steer the show to be more about their lives and learning moreso than two guys over 50 who peaked in High School. Macchio's modesty about the series and his character are making Daniel Larusso look like a nice guy who became rich and a bit of a prick. Daniel needs to be humbled somehow or the series will betray itself and leave us all rooting for the "bad guy" instead of seeing two different but valid points of view on Karate and life.

Not ready to pay for youtube red myself, but I will go as far as to say the two episodes they've given us for free are worth a watch.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 am

Kettering Incident

A couple episodes in and really like it. Buc2 given our similarity in tastes a lot of time on TV series, I think you should check it out

Part who-dun it, part sci-fi alien mystery

Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 am

I love a good who-dun-it so I’ll check it out.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 pm

On the suggestion from my Sis, the wife and I started watching "Longmire" on Netflix...

It's been entertaining this far...kept her interest, which is hard to do...
Super K

Postby Buc2 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Kettering Incident

A couple episodes in and really like it. Buc2 given our similarity in tastes a lot of time on TV series, I think you should check it out

Watch the 1st episode befor the Lightning game started. A bit slow and confusing to start but it showed enough that I’ll keep watching for now.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Buc2 wrote:So Netflix is coming out with a new series. A remake of, Lost In Space. I’ll definitely check it out.

Correction...it’s already out. They made it available on tithe 13th. 10 episodes.

Downloaded for the trip, and already have watched 3 episodes. It's really good for what it's trying to do and helps the plane ride.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series while I'm gone
Crocaneers

Postby Buc2 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 am

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Kettering Incident

Watch the 1st episode befor the Lightning game started. A bit slow and confusing to start but it showed enough that I’ll keep watching for now.

Finished it a couple nights ago. Glad I stuck with it through the "character development" episodes. Well done. Created more than enough mystery to keep me interested and I really like how they ended season one. Definitely looking forward to season 2 whenever it becomes available. Critics seemed to love it or hate it...no in between. I can see a bit from both sides. It's not the best television but it was a good filler while waiting for GoT to come back. :lol:

Now I need to find another. Sence8 looks to have some promise. Also, foreign TV series' are really peaking my interest lately (Peaky Blinders, Dark, The Killing...). I find it refreshing to watch something from the perspective of non-American writers/directors. Fauda, an action thriller out of Israel looks like it might be good. The Returned (Les Revenants) - French. There's a lot out there that have won quite a bit of critical acclaim.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 am

Crocaneers wrote:
Buc2 wrote:So Netflix is coming out with a new series. A remake of, Lost In Space. I’ll definitely check it out.

Downloaded for the trip, and already have watched 3 episodes. It's really good for what it's trying to do and helps the plane ride.

I can’t ****ing stand Parker Poseys acting. She’s horrible... almost ruins the show for me. I like everyone else and the graphics and CGI
Phantom Phenom

Postby RedLeader » Sun May 13, 2018 10:30 am

Agreed on Parker Posey.
RedLeader

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Sun May 13, 2018 11:59 am

Yeah, they could not have made a worse choice for Dr. Smith, hate her character.

Just got caught up on The Handmaid's Tale, great show.

Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on
EastBayBucsFan

Postby Super K » Sun May 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Wait, they made Dr Smith a chick?

Screw that noise....buncha douchebags ruin another classic...
Super K

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Watch the 1st episode befor the Lightning game started. A bit slow and confusing to start but it showed enough that I’ll keep watching for now.

Finished it a couple nights ago. Glad I stuck with it through the "character development" episodes. Well done. Created more than enough mystery to keep me interested and I really like how they ended season one. Definitely looking forward to season 2 whenever it becomes available. Critics seemed to love it or hate it...no in between. I can see a bit from both sides. It's not the best television but it was a good filler while waiting for GoT to come back. :lol:

Now I need to find another. Sence8 looks to have some promise. Also, foreign TV series' are really peaking my interest lately (Peaky Blinders, Dark, The Killing...). I find it refreshing to watch something from the perspective of non-American writers/directors. Fauda, an action thriller out of Israel looks like it might be good. The Returned (Les Revenants) - French. There's a lot out there that have won quite a bit of critical acclaim.

Glad you liked it

I’m on a new one on Prime now — absentia

Apart from a bit of overacting, I like this one even more
Zarniwoop

Postby Crocaneers » Mon May 14, 2018 5:04 am

Super K wrote:Wait, they made Dr Smith a chick?

I liked it only due to the fact this Dr Smith has more character. The original TV character was a real puss .. sometimes to tell a story again, you have to shake it up, and this worked for me. Realize, I'm trapped in an iron bird or watching Australian TV, so my options are not what they usually are, yet I think I objectively like this no matter.
Crocaneers

Postby Super K » Mon May 14, 2018 5:31 am

Crocaneers wrote:

I liked it only due to the fact this Dr Smith has more character. The original TV character was a real puss .. sometimes to tell a story again, you have to shake it up, and this worked for me. Realize, I'm trapped in an iron bird or watching Australian TV, so my options are not what they usually are, yet I think I objectively like this no matter.

I get ya sir..I'll give it a go as I trust you wouldn't (intentionally) steer me wrong..

I also kinda like Parker Posey, so it may work for me...
Super K

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

I can’t ****ing stand Parker Poseys acting. She’s horrible... almost ruins the show for me. I like everyone else and the graphics and CGI

I knew there was a reason I hated her besides the fact she's playing Dr. Smith. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Finished it a couple nights ago. Glad I stuck with it through the "character development" episodes. Well done. Created more than enough mystery to keep me interested and I really like how they ended season one. Definitely looking forward to season 2 whenever it becomes available. Critics seemed to love it or hate it...no in between. I can see a bit from both sides. It's not the best television but it was a good filler while waiting for GoT to come back. :lol:

Glad you liked it

I’m on a new one on Prime now — absentia

Apart from a bit of overacting, I like this one even more

So with all my talk of looking for another good foreign made series, I ended up binging on Turn: Washington's Spies. Got thru E4 of season 2 over the weekend. I'm so hooked, I had a hard time turning it off to go do other, more constructive, things. lol
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 am

Crocaneers wrote:

I liked it only due to the fact this Dr Smith has more character. /quote]

LOL

no, she doesn't
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 14, 2018 8:49 am

Dr. Smith is like black licorice, i.e. you either love it or you hate it

Her character just really doesn't make any sense. She has no long-term plan.
Abandoned someone and steal their flare gun on a alien planet with only a few people on it.

Spoiler:
She was the reason they went into the black hole! via season two

Penny is the best standout character in the series. IMO
Phantom Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic