** Official TV Show Thread **

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: ** Official TV Show Thread **

Postby paco74 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 am

Corsair wrote:Cinematically, Mr. Robot takes the cake. The way they willingly break the rules reminds me of a quote by Pablo Picasso - “Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”

Agreed. If people aren't watching Mr. Robot, they are missing out on some excellent stuff. Episode 1, like most of the first season, was a mind trip. Now there is a post episode show called Hacking Robot. Much the same format as Talking Dead. Christian Slater won a Golden Globe for his role last season.

Scary stuff because ALL of it is plausible when it comes to cyber security...or insecurity.

#FSOCIETY
paco74

Postby Corsair » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:33 pm

New Mr Robot tonight!

The first 5 minutes of pt 2 last week were my favorite five minutes of TV this year.
Corsair

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 pm

Just binged and finished Stranger Things on Netflix.

Got to say they nailed it. The 80s nostalgia was perfect and not over the top. Good creature flick/show, nothing mind blowing, but fantastic performances. The kids nailed it, especially the Steve and Dustin characters as well as the police chief. So many nods to 80s greats. Can't wait to see more.
IchabodCrane84

Postby paco74 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:31 am

Corsair wrote:New Mr Robot tonight!

The first 5 minutes of pt 2 last week were my favorite five minutes of TV this year.

Episode 2 was pretty intense. I expect every episode to be this way. Really digging this show.

Last edited by paco74 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
paco74

Postby paco74 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:36 am

Anyone watching season 2 of Tyrant. I likey too.

paco74

Postby RedLeader » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:23 pm

paco74 wrote:
Corsair wrote:New Mr Robot tonight!

Episode 2 was pretty intense. I expect every episode to be this way. Really digging this show.

****... I need to get back into Robot...
RedLeader

Postby Corsair » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:52 pm

"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Don't say I never gave you anything.
Corsair

Postby Mother Ayahuasca » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Blown away by Mr Robot...

Incredible, in your face television.

They just don't make 'em like this

Mother Ayahuasca

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:32 am

Just finished season 4 of wentworth...wtfff..I cant believe they really did that..Didnt see that coming.
Heisenberg

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Heisenberg wrote:Just finished season 4 of wentworth...wtfff..I cant believe they really did that..Didnt see that coming.

It will be interesting to see how they come back from that one.

MOLON LABE
EastBayBucsFan

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:40 pm

This show is hilarious, and they go to some pretty interesting places. He's still the King of Rock-n-roll.

MOLON LABE
EastBayBucsFan

Postby Corsair » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:34 am

Deadwood is currently filming.
Corsair

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:22 am

Mother Ayahuasca wrote:Blown away by Mr Robot...

You should see the movie they remade it from. It's called "Fight Club."
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:58 am

Corsair wrote:Deadwood is currently filming.

A movie? Are any of the same actors coming back? Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Paula Malcomson?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Corsair » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:30 pm

MJW wrote:
Mother Ayahuasca wrote:Blown away by Mr Robot...

Meh, it's a little more in depth than Fight Club... but yes, the themes are the same. This is more a fictional retelling of Anonymous and Enron.
Last edited by Corsair on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:33 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Corsair wrote:Deadwood is currently filming.

A movie? Are any of the same actors coming back? Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Paula Malcomson?

Sorry, it's in pre-production not filming. I spoke too soon. But yes, they are expecting that Ian, Tim, Dillahunt, etc will all want to be involved.
Corsair

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Olyphant is a badass
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Corsair wrote:
MJW wrote:

Meh, it's a little more in depth than Fight Club... but yes, the themes are the same. This is more a fictional retelling of Anonymous and Enron.

A milquetoast protagonist who doesn't realize he has a dual personality which has constructed a network of anti-corporate crusaders and later tries to take over the protagonist's life?

It's more than a passing similarity. I would be shocked if the creator of Mr. Robot didn't come up with the idea while watching Fight Club and wondering what it would look like if it was made in the Social Network/Enron/Bankster era.

That said, I enjoy the show. I'm just astounded Palahniuk hasn't sued them yet.
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:57 am

With the trash he's put out lately maybe Chuck should start stealing material too
Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:39 am

Zarniwoop wrote:With the trash he's put out lately maybe Chuck should start stealing material too

The last book of his I read was "Pygmy" maybe 7 years ago. The last book of his I LIKED was "Rant" about 12 years ago. Considering how great his early stuff was ("Survivor" and "Lullaby" especially), that's depressing. I don't know if society has become too transgressive to appreciate transgressive fiction, or if he simply doesn't have anything left to say.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:50 pm

Anyone here planning to subscribe to CBS All Access so they can watch the new series, Star Trek: Discovery, premiering this January?
I just may. The commercial subscription is $6 a month and the commercial free version is $10. The series takes place in the original timeline, 10 years before Kirk's Star Trek. More info here.

The ship:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby lachisbackisback » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Corsair wrote:
Buc2 wrote:A movie? Are any of the same actors coming back? Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Paula Malcomson?

Sorry, it's in pre-production not filming. I spoke too soon. But yes, they are expecting that Ian, Tim, Dillahunt, etc will all want to be involved.

**** you so hard if you're wrong. Easily the best TV show in history. Just watched it again recently. Was so good that I even read most of a long essay about the character Wu, of all things.

Also, typical Zarni to mention Olyphant as a badass when he was completely and utterly overshadowed by McShane for the entirety of that series. Bullock probably wasn't even top 5 in terms of best characters.

Oh, and speaking Mr. Robot, that **** is putrid and unwatchable. I made it half an episode in, so perhaps it gets better, but it felt like somebody woke up from a coma suffered in the mid-90s and then thought to themselves "What if I make a show that's so 90s it's incredible, but I turn the edgy narration up to 11?!?!?!?" God was it tedious.
lachisbackisback

Postby Buc2 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:51 pm

Mr. Robot is living off its first season. 2nd season has been **** to this point. They should be way past character development by now, yet they continue, ad nauseum, with it. I mean, I get it already. The main character is a psycho and his sister isn't far behind. Let's move on.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:36 pm

lachisbackisback wrote:
Corsair wrote:

**** you so hard if you're wrong. Easily the best TV show in history. Just watched it again recently. Was so good that I even read most of a long essay about the character Wu, of all things.

Also, typical Zarni to mention Olyphant as a badass when he was completely and utterly overshadowed by McShane for the entirety of that series. Bullock probably wasn't even top 5 in terms of best characters.

Oh, and speaking Mr. Robot, that **** is putrid and unwatchable. I made it half an episode in, so perhaps it gets better, but it felt like somebody woke up from a coma suffered in the mid-90s and then thought to themselves "What if I make a show that's so 90s it's incredible, but I turn the edgy narration up to 11?!?!?!?" God was it tedious.

Bullock and Mcshane are by far the two best characters. They could drop any other characters and the show would be fine, without those two the show would be ****.

MOLON LABE
EastBayBucsFan

Postby lachisbackisback » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:15 pm

On the one hand, I agree with you. The show was much better off with those two characters. The thing is, to me, Bullock has no character arch. He's a moralistic hothead from the first episode to the last. He's there primarily to look pretty and do some stupid stuff to move plot along due to his hotheadedness. It's just not that interesting.

I'll grant you that the interplay between he and Swearengen is compelling, and that's why the show especially needed him. You begin to respect Swearengen more through the lens of their mutual respect for each other, such as it is.

I would argue that E.B., Charlie, Jane, Doc, Trixie, Ellsworth and Dan were all more complex and interesting characters for various reasons than Bullock, though. That's not to say I didn't like Bullock, because even the characters I would consider sub par in that series were better than the best found in most others.

Anyhow, to address your actual point, it probably would have ruined the show to drop Al, but I think it could still be pretty compelling without Bullock.
lachisbackisback

Postby Corsair » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 pm

lachisbackisback wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Garrett Dillahunt has been pretty vocal in the past six months about hearing that the idea of a continuation was picking up traction with HBO. Recently it was rumored that Milch is writing the scripts right now and HBO is getting close to a green light. If Milch can hit their deadline and still feel good about what is on paper HBO is going to cut them a huge check.

Olyphant and McShane would both be coming back, I'm sure Dillahunt would like to play a third character as both Wolcott and McCall are dead. W Earl Brown (Dan) has been getting good work recently, so I see him as desirable for the network. And McRaney as Hearst could be back as well depending on which way the story goes.

The great thing about this cast is that there are quite a few heavy hitters and a couple of them have had more success since Deadwood, but they've all leveled out to a place where they could get the ensemble back together without breaking the bank. HBO is also in a lot better place as far as original programming budgets than it was 10 years ago.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's 75% likely to happen.
Corsair

Postby Corsair » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:34 pm

And I'm going to disagree with all of you regarding Mr Robot.

It's the best show on television not named "Game of Thrones".
Corsair

Postby lachisbackisback » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 pm

As I say, maybe Mr. Robot got better after the first half of the first episode of season 1. That's a tiny sample size and most shows do. But that stuff was unwatchable to the extreme. Just embarrassingly heavy-handed.

To be honest, as much as I'm desperate for Deadwood to come back, Milch could really boner jam the whole thing pretty bad. John From Cincinnati was awful and I think he did that horse racing one with Hoffman which I can barely remember. The cast itself is a huge part of it, so there's reason for optimism, obviously, but if he ruins the legacy of the show I'll be pretty upset.
lachisbackisback

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 am

lachisbackisback wrote:As I say, maybe Mr. Robot got better after the first half of the first episode of season 1.

It didn't. It got worse. Just call this the season of the ongoing character development. I'm sure it will all lead up to some sort of exciting season finale so people will want to watch at least the beginning of S3.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mother Ayahuasca » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 am

lachisbackisback wrote:As I say, maybe Mr. Robot got better after the first half of the first episode of season 1.

haahaha

wow
Mother Ayahuasca

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic