Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Postby Buc2 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Saw it yesterday. Unfortunately, we saw it in the 3D version. Sucked in 3D. #1 - too dark. #2 - slightly blurry. #3 - sometimes hard to follow due to the shitty 3D. I look forward to going again to see it in the standard format.

You know you were supposed to be wearing 3D glasses, right?

Dammit!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby A Man's Part » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You know you were supposed to be wearing 3D glasses, right?

Dammit!

You should just never go to that theater again. Clearly.. It's a very shitty theater.
A Man's Part

Postby Buc2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:36 pm

A Man's Part wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Dammit!

You should just never go to that theater again. Clearly.. It's a very shitty theater.

Maybe. I was out of town when I went to see it, so I wasn't familiar with that cities theaters.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Just came out of the theater [3D version] , and LOVED it !
Crocaneers

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:17 pm

I think JJ's previous 2 sci-fi films were better.

Yeah...I said it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I think JJ's previous 2 sci-fi films were better.

Yeah...I said it.

Well... clearly you just have bad taste.
The Outsider

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:28 pm

First time, everything moved so fast. I liked it, but I was also like 'WTF did I just see?'

Second time, I felt better with the pace and was enamored from start to finish.

I'm going a third time to look for small details to confirm suspicions about Rey's parentage, Finn's affinity for the Force, and a few other details.
Ken Carson

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:25 am

I'm going back for the same reasons. I am pretty sure about Rey, but it will be good to see the details.

MB .. this has to be Abrams best movie
Crocaneers

Postby terrytate » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:21 am

Crocaneers wrote:MB .. this has to be Abrams best movie

That's not setting the bar high at all.
terrytate

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52 am

TFA is not a bad movie. That's not what I was saying. I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing it again.

I just found Trek and into darkness more enjoyable. Better characters, better stories.

And saying so shouldn't be an insult to the entire SW franchise. They got a real good start with a couple of very likable new characters.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NavyBuc » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:43 am

I just saw the movie yesterday. While I'm not a huge Star Wars nut, I thought it was awesome. Really reminded me of the original ones from the 70s and 80s. Had that same kind of feel. They did a good job mixing nonstalgia with stuff.

That being said, I'm a little nervous about the next one. JJ Abrams isn't writing or directing it and word is Rian Johnson is going to do it totally different and could make it "weird". Don't know what to expect. The only good thing is Abrams did read over the script and said it was so good he wished he was doing it. I've heard Mark Hamill is going to be in it a lot more and Benicio del Toro is going to appear in it for the dark side.
NavyBuc

Postby PetePierson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:27 pm

Not really a spoiler but just in case someone hasn't seen it yet:

Spoiler:
Not sure it was even possible for the movie to live up to the expectations of those who grew up on the originals. Overall, not bad but certainly didn't think it was a great as everyone is claiming. Visually, it was awesome. Very cool to see the Falcon, Tie Fighters, X-Wings in the desert or a brighter backdrop than space.

Rey is a solid character and the actress did a great job as well as very easy on the eyes. Finn was a bit of a whiny bitch (as was Luke in New Hope / Empire) but Finn also seemed a bit too cowardly for most of the film.

Also a little disappointing with Harrison's performance. Not sure if he was just mailing it in or crappy writing but was a bit too campy for me.

What is the backstory to all the bone-yards on Jakku?
PetePierson

Postby Pewterslimsme » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:42 pm

PetePierson wrote:Not really a spoiler but just in case someone hasn't seen it yet:

Spoiler:
Not sure it was even possible for the movie to live up to the expectations of those who grew up on the originals. Overall, not bad but certainly didn't think it was a great as everyone is claiming. Visually, it was awesome. Very cool to see the Falcon, Tie Fighters, X-Wings in the desert or a brighter backdrop than space.

Rey is a solid character and the actress did a great job as well as very easy on the eyes. Finn was a bit of a whiny bitch (as was Luke in New Hope / Empire) but Finn also seemed a bit too cowardly for most of the film.

Also a little disappointing with Harrison's performance. Not sure if he was just mailing it in or crappy writing but was a bit too campy for me.

Spoiler:
Pewterslimsme

Postby PetePierson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Pewterslimsme wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PetePierson

Postby Corsair » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Saw it opening weekend, going today to my second viewing.

Headed over to the Citywalk IMAX in 3d. One of the few "true" 7 story IMAX screens left in the US.

Not excited about the 3d thing. It wasn't shot in 3d, I don't want to see it in 3d.

I'm really looking forward to:

Spoiler:
Corsair

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:53 pm

PetePierson wrote:Not really a spoiler but just in case someone hasn't seen it yet:

Spoiler:

During the time between Jedi and this film there was a large battle over Jakku which the New Republic won.
The Outsider

Postby RedLeader » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Just saw it again in, this time in 3D. Loved it. Dogfights and final lightsaber dual in the snow alone was worth it.

That said, the movie is even better the second time around.
RedLeader

Postby Wenchy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:09 am

I've heard a lot of people say that. I think I will try it for myself, but first I need to see The Hateful Eight and Revenant.
Wenchy

Postby RedLeader » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Hateful Eight disappoints... Great characters and dialogue as usual for Tarantino, but the story lacks. Plus some holes in the scripting. Seemed lazy to be honest.
RedLeader

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Took my kids to see it. They'd never seen Star Wars before (think my oldest was 1 or 2 when the last one came out). It was very entertaining, very fun. Didn't catch a lot of the "Easter eggs" I guess. People were cheering and gasping at certain moments. But my kids and I liked it.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Wenchy wrote:I've heard a lot of people say that. I think I will try it for myself, but first I need to see The Hateful Eight and Revenant.

The Revenant is a must see. I've always been a fan of Dicaprio and Hardy and neither of them disappointed in this one!
Bootz2004

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Wenchy wrote:I've heard a lot of people say that. I think I will try it for myself, but first I need to see The Hateful Eight and Revenant.

The Revenant is a must see. I've always been a fan of Dicaprio and Hardy and neither of them disappointed in this one!

I didn't think it was very good at all. I was really excited, but the movie is pretty shallow and slow.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing this myself. Has DiCaprio ever made a bad film? I'm thinking not.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Corsair » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing this myself. Has DiCaprio ever made a bad film? I'm thinking not.

Sheesh.

Have you seen the Aviator, or The Man in the Iron Mask?

Maybe J Edgar?

Or Shutter Island?
Corsair

Postby Pewterslimsme » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:12 pm

So...........nobody made a Darth Vader is ************ joke yet?
Pewterslimsme

Postby Wenchy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Corsair wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

Sheesh.

Have you seen the Aviator, or The Man in the Iron Mask?

Maybe J Edgar?

Or Shutter Island?

The Beach
Wenchy

Postby RedLeader » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:07 pm

Actually, speaking of which, rumor has it Dicaprio was initially approached to be Anakin in the prequels...

And then he read the script, I'm sure....
RedLeader

Postby mightyleemoon » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Swashy wrote:It felt very "busy" in the beginning but you had to get a lot out of the way in a hurry. Not a whole hell of a lot of choice but they executed it brilliantly and made that first 20 minutes as exciting as can be. The new protagonists are genuine, likable and well casted. JJ did a good job mustering the heroes together and I'm excited to see the continued relationship. Excellent movie with 5/5 potential but Kylo Ren completely ruined it for me. There's so much mess around him.

Spoiler:
No offense but Kylo Ren is far and away the most pathetic antagonist I have ever seen. I love a good bad guy and this fellow is the sorriest excuse for a bad guy Star Wars has ever had. After the first 10 minutes I said, "Holy **** this guy is great!!" and I started geeking out. But as the film went on I couldn't take him seriously anymore. He throws temper tantrums by slicing walls up with his lightsaber, clearly lacks any amount of true authority as he let's himself get "spoken down" to by his general, and otherwise consistently failed at most everything. They did a great job of introducing him and that was about it for me.

You mean to tell me that a storm trooper and an orphan from Jakku are capable of matching him in a lightsaber battle after picking one up for the FIRST time? I know the idea is Rae is exceptional but wow... he was already losing favor with me and then being matched in saber battle by rookies did him in. I'm just waiting for Klyo Ren to be disposed of when he is no longer useful. Fans can't ask for/nor be given Darth Vader 2.0 but by the end of the movie I seriously wanted to throw a bag of tampons at the movie screen.

It felt like I was watching a Disney character- surprise, surprise.

Killing Han Solo was his redeeming moment because he idolizes Darth Vader, a once remorseless killer who was trained by an even more remorseless sociopath until he made the choice again to save someone he loved; that time it was Luke. It was much like letting Palpatine kill Windu in blind hopes that turning to the dark side would save Padme. But back to Kylo Ren, without killing his father, all I would've been left with is a confused young man who wants to be bad guy out of peer pressure. I hated Han being killed like that but he's not a supporting character and I completely see the necessity behind the writer's decision to take him out. Maybe with Han out of the way we'll see a more ruthless killer.

Please, if you're going to be the bad guy... be all in about it. That's what Palpatine and Vader gave us and it leaves a reputation to live up to. Kylo Ren has SO MUCH potential. I just don't want to see it go to waste strictly for the sake of "There's still good in him."

Only one critique about Rae, who could otherwise go down as one of the best characters in Star Wars history.

Spoiler:
I think she "discovered the force" a little too quickly. For someone who had little to no knowledge of the force and said she wanted no part of it 20 minutes ago, how on earth is she figuring out how to pull off a Jedi mind trick to get herself free from interrogation? And handling Kylo Ren in hand to hand combat? Either she's a Skywalker or Kylo Ren REALLY is that incompetent.

However, Rae's "self discovery" is the only flaw I had with the character. She is more than strong enough to carry the Star Wars franchise on her back and I can't wait to see how the dynamic progresses between her, Fin and Poe. I didn't think it was possible but I think they have a very strong shot of outperforming Luke, Leia and Han as the best heroes in Star Wars history.

Not sure if anyone addressed this...but this write up kind of nails what my thoughts were on the whole Kylo problem you have. It came up in conversation as soon as we left and I was all "Did you forget what just happened to him?"

http://imgur.com/gallery/7EhqwbF
mightyleemoon

Postby terrytate » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:27 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
Swashy wrote:It felt very "busy" in the beginning but you had to get a lot out of the way in a hurry. Not a whole hell of a lot of choice but they executed it brilliantly and made that first 20 minutes as exciting as can be. The new protagonists are genuine, likable and well casted. JJ did a good job mustering the heroes together and I'm excited to see the continued relationship. Excellent movie with 5/5 potential but Kylo Ren completely ruined it for me. There's so much mess around him.

Spoiler:
No offense but Kylo Ren is far and away the most pathetic antagonist I have ever seen. I love a good bad guy and this fellow is the sorriest excuse for a bad guy Star Wars has ever had. After the first 10 minutes I said, "Holy **** this guy is great!!" and I started geeking out. But as the film went on I couldn't take him seriously anymore. He throws temper tantrums by slicing walls up with his lightsaber, clearly lacks any amount of true authority as he let's himself get "spoken down" to by his general, and otherwise consistently failed at most everything. They did a great job of introducing him and that was about it for me.

You mean to tell me that a storm trooper and an orphan from Jakku are capable of matching him in a lightsaber battle after picking one up for the FIRST time? I know the idea is Rae is exceptional but wow... he was already losing favor with me and then being matched in saber battle by rookies did him in. I'm just waiting for Klyo Ren to be disposed of when he is no longer useful. Fans can't ask for/nor be given Darth Vader 2.0 but by the end of the movie I seriously wanted to throw a bag of tampons at the movie screen.

Killing Han Solo was his redeeming moment because he idolizes Darth Vader, a once remorseless killer who was trained by an even more remorseless sociopath until he made the choice again to save someone he loved; that time it was Luke. It was much like letting Palpatine kill Windu in blind hopes that turning to the dark side would save Padme. But back to Kylo Ren, without killing his father, all I would've been left with is a confused young man who wants to be bad guy out of peer pressure. I hated Han being killed like that but he's not a supporting character and I completely see the necessity behind the writer's decision to take him out. Maybe with Han out of the way we'll see a more ruthless killer.

Please, if you're going to be the bad guy... be all in about it. That's what Palpatine and Vader gave us and it leaves a reputation to live up to. Kylo Ren has SO MUCH potential. I just don't want to see it go to waste strictly for the sake of "There's still good in him."

Only one critique about Rae, who could otherwise go down as one of the best characters in Star Wars history.

Spoiler:
I think she "discovered the force" a little too quickly. For someone who had little to no knowledge of the force and said she wanted no part of it 20 minutes ago, how on earth is she figuring out how to pull off a Jedi mind trick to get herself free from interrogation? And handling Kylo Ren in hand to hand combat? Either she's a Skywalker or Kylo Ren REALLY is that incompetent.

However, Rae's "self discovery" is the only flaw I had with the character. She is more than strong enough to carry the Star Wars franchise on her back and I can't wait to see how the dynamic progresses between her, Fin and Poe. I didn't think it was possible but I think they have a very strong shot of outperforming Luke, Leia and Han as the best heroes in Star Wars history.

Not sure if anyone addressed this...but this write up kind of nails what my thoughts were on the whole Kylo problem you have. It came up in conversation as soon as we left and I was all "Did you forget what just happened to him?"

Read the link, been saying that myself for quite a while.
terrytate

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:04 am

mightyleemoon wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I did forget. Thanks for bring this up. It explains much.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic