Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Postby NYBF » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 am

Finally saw it.

Spoiler:
Kylo Ren has to be the absolute worst bad guy ever. All that whining and the temper tantrums, then getting repeatedly punked by Hux in front of Snoke. Darth would never have put up with that ****. Can't wait to see what kind of amazing superpowers they give Fin since (I'm fairly certain) he's the first person to ever get hit by a lightsaber and not lose a limb or die.
NYBF

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:07 am

NYBF wrote:Finally saw it.

Spoiler:
Kylo Ren has to be the absolute worst bad guy ever. All that whining and the temper tantrums, then getting repeatedly punked by Hux in front of Snoke. Darth would never have put up with that ****. Can't wait to see what kind of amazing superpowers they give Fin since (I'm fairly certain) he's the first person to ever get hit by a lightsaber and not lose a limb or die.

Spoiler:
Kylo gets hit as well.
Ken Carson

Postby Wenchy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:18 am

Kylo did kind of remind me of a wimpy emo kid.
Wenchy

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:48 am

Ken Carson wrote:
NYBF wrote:Finally saw it.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Kylo gets hit as well.

Spoiler:
Kylo not only gets hit. He goes back into battle after taking a shot that would kill just about everyone else in the movie. And the Hux/Snoke thing. Darth was a full fledged sith by the time New Hope rolls around. Kylo is still in training and reluctantly obeying his master. And he's acting just like Anakin (and Luke) did when he was in training...which is a whiney, emotional brat.
mightyleemoon

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:51 am

Maybe there should be a "Star Wars Spoiler" thread....as opposed to having all these hidden messages.
mightyleemoon

Postby Super K » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:40 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:Maybe there should be a "Star Wars Spoiler" thread....as opposed to having all these hidden messages.

I likem...makes the thread feel like Christmas..

Sometimes you open one and get the AT-AT complete with Stormtrooper army..

Other times you get socks.. (looking at whom over posted the damn Bee-dog pic)..
Super K

Postby Pewterslimsme » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Spoiler:
Pewterslimsme

Postby Super K » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Pewterslimsme wrote:
Spoiler:

How'd I know it would be you..
Super K

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:40 pm

Pewterslimsme wrote:
Spoiler:

Did you get in your Delorean and travel back to 2003 for that dope clip art?
The Outsider

Postby Wenchy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:02 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Pewterslimsme wrote:
Spoiler:

Did you get in your Delorean and travel back to 2003 for that dope clip art?

Wait, was that another one of his tech-saavy posts? I was just impressed he knew how to use the spoiler feature. Show-off.
Wenchy

Postby Pewterslimsme » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Sorry just saw this. Was looking for a new background for my MySpace page
Pewterslimsme

Postby Super K » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Finally saw TFA tonight..

Absolutely LOVED it!

So much better than the prequel trilogy as it felt much closer to the originals..

Still a packed crowd at the theatre too..

Great night..
Super K

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:31 pm

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT SNOKE

He turned Kylo Ren against Luke and the new Jedi order.
He believes the most power can be obtained from embracing the light side and the dark – hence his interest in Kylo Ren.
He has something to do with the Knights of Ren, and Kylo being their leader, and therefore responsible for their obsession with Darth Vader.
He is severely damaged but still lives.
He’s aware of the happenings of the saga.
He’s in charge of the entire First Order and is responsible for reassembling the Empire.
He seemingly has limitless resources.
He’s unquestionably a Force user given that Force users follow his orders, he trains Kylo, and is described as being “powerful” by the actor playing him.

"Kylo Ren is not a Sith. He works under Supreme Leader Snoke, who is a powerful figure on the Dark Side of the Force."
Phantom Phenom

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:59 pm

Plaguies!
VauntedTampa2

Postby MJW » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:35 am

Saw it with the kiddos. Kept an open mind. It was fun, but I wish I'd known it was a remake going in. I kind of thought "Episode VII" implied a continuation of the story. Besides finding out in incredibly vague terms what Han had been up to, there was pretty much nothing like that. It simply ignored 90% of the conclusions reached at the end of VI (which kind of made them feel empty, looking back) and did cover-band versions of the stuff we saw in Episode IV. But, it was fun.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:58 am

I feel bad for the people who are stuck thinking this is nothing more than a retelling of A New Hope. Are there similarities? Sure. Sometimes life does have a way of repeating itself. But, there's a lot of new stuff here.
mightyleemoon

Postby MJW » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 am

mightyleemoon wrote:I feel bad for the people who are stuck thinking this is nothing more than a retelling of A New Hope. Are there similarities? Sure. Sometimes life does have a way of repeating itself. But, there's a lot of new stuff here.

No, it was a retelling. Nobody is saying it was a remake, the way we use the term now. But the whole, "there was just no way to do this without telling pretty much the same story" thing is a cop out. There were a dozen good ideas in the EU they could have run with, for starters. As it stands there were almost no new ideas on the screen. The few that were up there (Finn's moral crisis being the biggest one) weren't really explored. The one thing I wanted out of the movie - to find out something new/interesting about the post-Return universe - didn't happen. Instead the movie basically re-set the franchise to the beginning of Episode IV. New Death Star. New Vader. New naive desert force sensitive. New Empire. New Emperor. New Yoda. New Storm Troopers. New Parent-Child conflict. New Boba Fett, even.

It was fine for what it is, but that was an intensely unambitious film that traded way too heavily on emotions we had going in.
MJW

Postby The Outsider » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:23 pm

MJW wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:I feel bad for the people who are stuck thinking this is nothing more than a retelling of A New Hope. Are there similarities? Sure. Sometimes life does have a way of repeating itself. But, there's a lot of new stuff here.

No, it was a retelling. Nobody is saying it was a remake, the way we use the term now. But the whole, "there was just no way to do this without telling pretty much the same story" thing is a cop out. There were a dozen good ideas in the EU they could have run with, for starters. As it stands there were almost no new ideas on the screen. The few that were up there (Finn's moral crisis being the biggest one) weren't really explored. The one thing I wanted out of the movie - to find out something new/interesting about the post-Return universe - didn't happen. Instead the movie basically re-set the franchise to the beginning of Episode IV. New Death Star. New Vader. New naive desert force sensitive. New Empire. New Emperor. New Yoda. New Storm Troopers. New Parent-Child conflict. New Boba Fett, even.

It was fine for what it is, but that was an intensely unambitious film that traded way too heavily on emotions we had going in.

I think it's far too early to come to that opinion. The first film of a Star Wars trilogy is always a little light on the overarching story for a couple of reasons, one is that they simply can't cram every single plot point in to a single film, second is that it needs to draw in new viewers, so it can't be too heavy with the deeper story so as to not confuse people. The film had similarities to ANH that is for sure, however, the characters are much different. None of the new characters are able to be neatly categorized by the trope they fill. Finn, Rey, and Poe Dameron all have elements of Luke, Leia, and Han type characters. So in my opinion they are much stronger characters than those of Luke, Leia, and Han in the OT. Rey isn't some naive, incapable noob like Luke was. She's a self sufficient scavenger who already knows how to defend herself. Finn is a lot more like Luke (in that he's kind of a *****) than Rey is.

Oh, and as for you saying they didn't incorporate the EU at all, I've been saying it for a long time and I'll say it again, I'd put money on Snoke either being Darth Plagueis or his new canon equivalent.
Spoiler:
I mean Kylo Ren is almost exactly Jacen Solo.
The Outsider

Postby mightyleemoon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:31 pm

MJW wrote:

New death star. Sure. New Vader? Not even close. Adolescent Vader, maybe. But that's a whole new bag. A desert? Would being set in a jungle really help you there? I bet there are thousands of desolate worlds which are desert in nature in this universe. I don't get people's hang up with the desert setting. A new empire has taken over, yes. And that's the idea. There is a new threat to peace in the galaxy. This isn't a retelling of ANH. This is a retelling of evil from stories as far back as stories go. A new emperor? Nope. Sure, there's one dude in charge. But, he seems keen to both sides of the force...hence his interest in a pupil that struggles with the light and the dark. We don't know what his ultimate goal is yet. BUt, for me, the list of similarities between him and Palpatine begin and end with them being the bad guys who have pupils. No new Yoda...we get a new Matrix Oracle instead. Same old foot soldiers? Sure. Name me one movie where an evil force doesn't have tons of foot soldiers. Is this also a rip off of Lord of the Rings? They have foot soldiers. ANH had nothing like the Han and Leia struggle of an evil off-spring. And nobody in this new movie is even remotely similar to Boba Fett.

This is definitely a continuation of where RTJ left us. Did it give us all the details of where things have gone since then? No. And I'm glad they didn't blow their entire load in one movie. They've set us up for a ton of questions and gave us a great feel for where we are now. How did we get here? We only have a hint of that right now. And...that's perfect.

Also, the Luke Starkiller base? Yea....I could have done without that. Until Han made fun of it. That made 3.0 fine for me. Besides...I didn't bitch about it for RTJ...so why would I bitch about it now? IT's entirely realistic for someone to say "****...that one didn't work? Fine...make it bigger!".....and then..."Again?! ****! Make it WAY bigger!"

We have a great new complex, angsty badass villain who will probably go through a maturation process and get less whiney and more malicious with each film. We have an ominous threat behind him that is still in the mist. We have yet to find out just how powerful Luke is now. There is just a shit-ton of new stuff happening here, many questions to be answered, and so much to look forward to that I can't imagine behind hung up on "But...both stories started near sand!" Talk about being way too fixated on a tree.
mightyleemoon

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:12 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:Plaguies!

it was confirmed by Andy Serkis that Snoke is most certainly not who fans thought he was – Emperor Palpatine’s old master, Darth Plagueis.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:05 am

No telling how this trilogy will go since George Lucas isn't running around creating and then plugging the plot holes in the stories.

Now if they can stop playing to nostalgia every 10 minutes, they could tell a story.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 am

So Disney is going to release the original trilogy on Blu-Ray.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:01 am

Buc2 wrote:So Disney is going to release the original trilogy on Blu-Ray.

Did they stop at some point? I purchased all 6 in set on BR back in like 2011.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:13 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Buc2 wrote:So Disney is going to release the original trilogy on Blu-Ray.

I believe this is an uncut version or something or other that sets it apart from prior DVD releases.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:19 am

Buc2 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I believe this is an uncut version or something or other that sets it apart from prior DVD releases.

Yea. Lucas was too proud to do it. Disney see's too many dollar signs not to. Seems to be an eventuality.
mightyleemoon

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:22 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

Yea. Lucas was too proud to do it. Disney see's too many dollar signs not to. Seems to be an eventuality.

Are you saying it's the original original trilogy?
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby Buc You » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Buc You

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:37 pm

81mm Shake and Bake wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Are you saying it's the original original trilogy?

That's the rumor people are loving to spin. Maybe someone confirmed it?

(Let's call it the Han Shot First Edition)
mightyleemoon

Postby Commander Bubbles » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:25 am

Wenchy wrote:Kylo did kind of remind me of a wimpy emo kid.

Agreed. He also kind of reminded me of JP from Grandma's Boy.

Commander Bubbles

Postby Buc2 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm just seeing this...

Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic