The Official Game of Thrones HBO Series Discussion Thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: The Official Game of Thrones HBO Series Discussion Threa

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:00 pm

So like are WW conscience? Definitely an epic epsisode, but now one where you want to really think too deeply about, as some holes certainly come to light.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:18 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:I'm guessing Viserion will breath blue fire.

I knew it was going to happen, but it was still heartbreaking to watch Viserion go down like that. Watching his head sink back into the water was emotional.

Then I knew the Night King was going to "bring it back."

Ya'll are wondering about the time lapses....I wanna know where the wights got the huge chains. Lol.

Guessing we're going to have to wait a looooong time to see Viserion do battle with Drogon and Rhaegal.

Something I'm curious about...if I'm Dany, Jon and Tyrion, no way do I tell Cersei that one of the dragons died.

I thought the same thing about the chains they used to pull the dragon out of the lake. Where the **** did they get those?

No way I tell Cersi about the dead dragon. In fact it might be better to just bring Drogon and tell Cersi the other two are staying back so no questions are asked. If a trap is indeed set for Daenerys, having more than 1 dragon there wouldn't prevent it imo, and bringing all of them would put them all in danger potentially. All it would do is ensure more destruction if Daenerys was harmed.

So how did they get the wight they kidnapped south of the wall? I though the dead couldn't go south of the wall? edit*** NVM.. Apparently the magic doesn't apply if the wights are brought across the wall by the living, the magic only applies if they try and cross on their own.

If the dead can't go south of the wall then what's the big issue with the WW army? Just leave'em up North to play tiddly winks by themselves..

We must be missing something...
Super K

Postby Caradoc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 pm

I imagine the wall won't be so effective if they tear it deep wn
Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Lady Vox
Caradoc

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Here's the line that confirms the magic of the wall...

From the end of season 6:
“The Wall’s not just ice and stone,” he (Benjen) told Bran and Meera. “Ancient spells were carved into its foundation. Strong magic. To protect men from what lies beyond. And while it stands, the dead cannot pass. I cannot pass.”

Judging by everything we’ve seen, and Benjen’s own state as at least partially undead, it’s very likely he can be considered a reliable source on this matter.

Now, just because the Wall contains magic that prevents the dead from passing through or over it doesn’t mean the White Walkers will have no means of getting by — we just haven’t been presented with such a means yet on the show. The books, though, are another matter.

Spoiler:
From the “Song of Ice and Fire” novels we know of something called the Horn of Winter. According to legend, a blast from the Horn of Winter can destroy the Wall.

Even if the TV show never uses the
Spoiler:
Horn of Winter
that doesn't mean there isn't some other sort of magic the Night King can use to get his dead warriors past the wall.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Ya'll are wondering about the time lapses....I wanna know where the wights got the huge chains. Lol.

Hardhome Depot.
Rocker

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Although it was spoiled, I did love the episode.

The one thing I did not love is that the writers completely didn't give a **** about time in this episode. It's always been questionable, but Gentry runs to the wall, they send a raven, and Dany flys back and finds exactly where they are with in hours (appears to be a single night). It makes better TV, but that was over the top even for GoT.

Still a great episode...lol.

That wasn't a single night. Pretty sure it was about 4 days.

Where would you get 4 days from? If anything the show implied it was a single night. It was day, then night, then they woke up for the battle. As we've said before the show doesn't care about time. People have traveled thousands of miles on foot in a matter of days or built 1,000 ships in a matter of weeks/months Sometimes they even get a little ridiculous for their own skewed timelines.

The show was spoiled for me on FB, before the episode was even leaked people posted pictures of the blue eyed dragon that someone from HBO leaked like 2 weeks ago.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Buc2 wrote:Here's the line that confirms the magic of the wall...

“The Wall’s not just ice and stone,” he (Benjen) told Bran and Meera. “Ancient spells were carved into its foundation. Strong magic. To protect men from what lies beyond. And while it stands, the dead cannot pass. I cannot pass.”

Judging by everything we’ve seen, and Benjen’s own state as at least partially undead, it’s very likely he can be considered a reliable source on this matter.

Now, just because the Wall contains magic that prevents the dead from passing through or over it doesn’t mean the White Walkers will have no means of getting by — we just haven’t been presented with such a means yet on the show. The books, though, are another matter.

Spoiler:
From the “Song of Ice and Fire” novels we know of something called the Horn of Winter. According to legend, a blast from the Horn of Winter can destroy the Wall.

Spoiler:
Horn of Winter
that doesn't mean there isn't some other sort of magic the Night King can use to get his dead warriors past the wall.

I wonder if that magic applies to the dead going around the wall like was hinted previously this season.

edit: Bringing Cersei a WW is a ridiculously stupid plot line. Cersei won't give a ****, she will still try to kill/back stab everyone else.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:04 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
That wasn't a single night. Pretty sure it was about 4 days.

Where would you get 4 days from? If anything the show implied it was a single night. It was day, then night, then they woke up for the battle. As we've said before the show doesn't care about time. People have traveled thousands of miles on foot in a matter of days or built 1,000 ships in a matter of weeks/months Sometimes they even get a little ridiculous for their own skewed timelines.

The show was spoiled for me on FB, before the episode was even leaked people posted pictures of the blue eyed dragon that someone from HBO leaked like 2 weeks ago.

This is a pretty cool breakdown. There are a few others you can check out as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/ ... h=c1d7aaa9
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

This is a pretty cool breakdown. There are a few others you can check out as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/ ... h=c1d7aaa9

That's all over the place from 24 hours to 5 days.

At the end, most agree the show doesn't use realistic timelines or physics.

Edit: I don't think the writers care about time in the show. I remember people asking them at Comicon how 1,000 ships were built in what seemed like a matter of weeks. They basically answered that it could have been years, but they don't really think that matters to the show. The timelines are compacted to make the show more exciting.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm

I blame this all on GRRM. If he just wrote the damn books there would some type of guideline.
PrimeMinister

Postby paco74 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Although it was spoiled, I did love the episode.

The one thing I did not love is that the writers completely didn't give a **** about time in this episode. It's always been questionable, but Gentry runs to the wall, they send a raven, and Dany flys back and finds exactly where they are with in hours (appears to be a single night). It makes better TV, but that was over the top even for GoT.

Still a great episode...lol.

I don't believe that the Arrow Head mountain was that far away from East Watch. I do believe it was just far enough that a young and very fit man like Gendry would have to exhaust all of his strength just to make it back in...let's say a couple hours at a constant run. Now, I do not know how fast a raven can fly but it is roughly just under 1000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing. East Watch is leagues further north. Now Dragonstone is northeast of KL, so I'll just leave it at about 1000 miles for the raven to fly. I can imagine Dany made her decision almost instantly...a couple of hours to get that nice winter coat ready ;) . Her dragons at full speed could possibly reach them in five or six hours so it is all on how fast the raven got there. Now, the tell tale sign is....the water freezing after the wights fell through and Thoros dying. I'm going to say they were there 24 hours.

In one of my previous posts I mentioned that even from one scene to the next weeks can go by. I think we were looking at at least a day.

I love and hate how the producers have played with out emotions concerning this Arya/Sansa thing. There is no way that Arya would truly harm her sister. That is all to mess with our heads.

Anyone notice how much bigger and nasty looking they made Jon's scars? I feel like it was way too much to make them look so gnarly. Jon and Dany sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G....lol.

Poor Viserian. That was pretty gruesome. The Night King is very strong. I like that it looks like if you kill the Night King, all the wights will die also. That was a strange little twist.

Now for the season finale. What will Cersei do to **** everything up? Jon and Dany have the wight to show her. I don't even think that will be enough to stop what ever she has up her sleeve. I'd be okay with only two other people losing their heads....Littlefinger and Cersei. The only two that would stop at nothing for power.
Last edited by paco74 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
paco74

Postby paco74 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Here's the line that confirms the magic of the wall...

Spoiler:
Horn of Winter

I wonder if that magic applies to the dead going around the wall like was hinted previously this season.

edit: Bringing Cersei a WW is a ridiculously stupid plot line. Cersei won't give a ****, she will still try to kill/back stab everyone else.

What about the magic of a reanimated fire breathing dragon to melt down the wall?? :shock:
paco74

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 am

paco74 wrote:Now for the season finale. What will Cersei do to **** everything up? Jon and Dany have the wight to show her. I don't even think that will be enough to stop what ever she has up her sleeve. I'd be okay with only two other people losing their heads....Littlefinger and Cersei. The only two that would stop at nothing for power.

We know based on the preview they will all meet. So I assume they will have the wight to show Cersi/Jamie.

I don't think any major characters will die in Kings Landing so sadly I think Cersi lives to see another season. Violence during that meeting would create chaos and there is still a season left so you can't go killing off the main characters just yet.

I feel like the show needs to tie off some the storylines in the finale and I think that will be some resolution in the Sansa, Arya, Littlefinger drama up up in Winterfell. I really just don't see Littlefinger's character having much value next season in the great war to come so killing him off makes sense. But he has a penchant for staying alive so we'll see. One of those 3 will die in the finale imo and my money is on Littlefinger.

Bran should make an appearance in the finale. Maybe more hints at making Jon's lineage known like we saw in last seasons finale. Things are heating up between Dany and Jon also so hopefully they find out they are related before they get too physical with each other. Not that incest is frowned upon in this world, especially for Targaryens.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 am

If Cersi and Jaime can bang I see no reason why Dany and Jon can't ... kinda looking forward to it .
Jason Bourne

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 pm

paco74 wrote:I don't believe that the Arrow Head mountain was that far away from East Watch. I do believe it was just far enough that a young and very fit man like Gendry would have to exhaust all of his strength just to make it back in...let's say a couple hours at a constant run. Now, I do not know how fast a raven can fly but it is roughly just under 1000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing. East Watch is leagues further north. Now Dragonstone is northeast of KL, so I'll just leave it at about 1000 miles for the raven to fly. I can imagine Dany made her decision almost instantly...a couple of hours to get that nice winter coat ready ;) . Her dragons at full speed could possibly reach them in five or six hours so it is all on how fast the raven got there. Now, the tell tale sign is....the water freezing after the wights fell through and Thoros dying. I'm going to say they were there 24 hours.

Hmm...Well, according to the person that PM linked to, it was more like 5 days that passed.

It took about 5 days for word to get to Dany and for her to get back to them. Which is about how long it would take for the ice to freeze enough to support the army of wights. Regarding Gendry, The Raven, and the timing of it all, it makes sense. I'm going to assume since they were looking for a lone White that they were not going in a straight line from East watch, they were probably going back and forth in a zigzag (rip rickon) so Gendry running at full speed back to the wall, let's say that took about 4 hours. The trip from Castle black to Winterfell is about 600 miles (a little farther from East watch), a raven going full speed (28mph) could probably make that trip in a little over a day. From Winterfell to King's Landing is about A Thousand Miles according to Cersei in S5E6, so it would be about the same maybe a little more from Winterfell to Dragonstone. So let's say it takes the raven 4 days to get to Dragonstone. Dragons on the other hand, I couldn't find much info about how fast they can go. So for the sake of argument let's say they top out with a rider at about 175 mph. So that's about a 12-hour flight straight to Snow Team 6. So the overall time it takes Danny to get to Jon, is about 5 days. This makes sense considering that they had to wait for the ice to freeze over the lake again. Considering that the ice had to support a huge hoard of wights, the ice would have to be around 8 inches thick. Assuming an average temperature of 10 °F (they're not that far north) the ice would be growing at 1.5 inches per day. This works out to 7.5 inches of ice. Guys, the math works out.

This guy makes more sense to me than 24 hours does. I don't think 24 hours would have been near enough time for all the above to have happened.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Buc2 wrote:
paco74 wrote:I don't believe that the Arrow Head mountain was that far away from East Watch. I do believe it was just far enough that a young and very fit man like Gendry would have to exhaust all of his strength just to make it back in...let's say a couple hours at a constant run. Now, I do not know how fast a raven can fly but it is roughly just under 1000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing. East Watch is leagues further north. Now Dragonstone is northeast of KL, so I'll just leave it at about 1000 miles for the raven to fly. I can imagine Dany made her decision almost instantly...a couple of hours to get that nice winter coat ready ;) . Her dragons at full speed could possibly reach them in five or six hours so it is all on how fast the raven got there. Now, the tell tale sign is....the water freezing after the wights fell through and Thoros dying. I'm going to say they were there 24 hours.

Hmm...Well, according to the person that PM linked to, it was more like 5 days that passed.

It took about 5 days for word to get to Dany and for her to get back to them. Which is about how long it would take for the ice to freeze enough to support the army of wights. Regarding Gendry, The Raven, and the timing of it all, it makes sense. I'm going to assume since they were looking for a lone White that they were not going in a straight line from East watch, they were probably going back and forth in a zigzag (rip rickon) so Gendry running at full speed back to the wall, let's say that took about 4 hours. The trip from Castle black to Winterfell is about 600 miles (a little farther from East watch), a raven going full speed (28mph) could probably make that trip in a little over a day. From Winterfell to King's Landing is about A Thousand Miles according to Cersei in S5E6, so it would be about the same maybe a little more from Winterfell to Dragonstone. So let's say it takes the raven 4 days to get to Dragonstone. Dragons on the other hand, I couldn't find much info about how fast they can go. So for the sake of argument let's say they top out with a rider at about 175 mph. So that's about a 12-hour flight straight to Snow Team 6. So the overall time it takes Danny to get to Jon, is about 5 days. This makes sense considering that they had to wait for the ice to freeze over the lake again. Considering that the ice had to support a huge hoard of wights, the ice would have to be around 8 inches thick. Assuming an average temperature of 10 °F (they're not that far north) the ice would be growing at 1.5 inches per day. This works out to 7.5 inches of ice. Guys, the math works out.

This guy makes more sense to me than 24 hours does. I don't think 24 hours would have been near enough time for all the above to have happened.

I dont think they wpuld survive 5 days on that rock in that cold weather. That fan worked off the assumption it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit. As far North as they were and factoring in where it was shot, it was closer to - 10 or colder, but as I said... I dont think the creaters are concerned with time.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm

So the finale will be 80 minutes and titled "The Dragon and the Wolf".

Is the title referring to Rhaegar and Lyanna? Or perhaps Jon and Daenerys? Or both?
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:but as I said... I dont think the creaters are concerned with time.

Bam! You hit the nail on the head there.

Taylor admitted in an interview with Newsweek that yes, the timeline doesn’t really make sense on this week’s episode—among other things. How long did those guys sit on a rock waiting for Gendry to run all the way back to the Wall, a raven to fly to Dragonstone, Dany to slip into something more wintry, and the three dragons to fly North? “When we were [filming] it, we were aware of the time frame issues, and we tried to make it a little vague by not making it clear how much time is passing on the frozen lake, because it’s sort of eternal twilight up there—you’re not quite sure if it’s day or night,” he said. This concession, that Game of Thrones no longer necessarily adheres to internal logic, may help explain why legions of internet fans are now trying to help fill in the gaps with wilder and wilder theories.
It’s funny . . . I have no problem with the way the Night King throws his spear, and the fact that it does kill a dragon and knocks it out of the sky. I think that’s fine. I think haggling over that is ridiculous. I get people’s time-frame concerns—you know, ‘Gendry must be running really fast! The ravens must be flying really fast!’ [Laughs.] . . . When things like this come along, they’re plausible impossibilities. You’re hoping that even if something doesn’t quite add up, if it works within the story for us, it can carry the day.
So expect more hand-waving “relax, it’s only fantasy” from the Thrones creators in the future—as well as plenty more crackpot theories in response.

Check out the full article: Director Alan Taylor reveals the show’s current attitude towards plot holes

tl:dr - Concerning plot holes... So long as the series is successful, we (directors/show runners/writers) don't give a ****.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Swashy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Just started GoT today and finished episode 1. All I can say is thank God my friend has already told me about characters and who they are because I otherwise wouldn't have a clue. I watched the first episode a few years back and didn't dare a 2nd solely because of confusion. Now that I'm cued in I gotta say it started on a great foot.
Swashy

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Swashy wrote:Just started GoT today and finished episode 1. All I can say is thank God my friend has already told me about characters and who they are because I otherwise wouldn't have a clue. I watched the first episode a few years back and didn't dare a 2nd solely because of confusion. Now that I'm cued in I gotta say it started on a great foot.

Get out of this thread you noob and start binging... :birdiedoublered:

Seriously though, it's a bit difficult to keep track of all the different storylines going on in different regions. But they start intersecting and consolidating over time.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm seeing a growing opinion that the last episode jumped the shark of sorts. Not just with the timeline, or the WW getting a huge chain and somehow attaching it to the dragon, but with the whole plan to bring the WW to Cersei.

I still enjoy it and do not agree with that sentiment, but I think this rushed season is turning a lot of people off. They should have just made it 10 episodes and had more filler.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mex-Buc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 pm

So the Title of the up coming episode is "The Dragon and the Wolf".

I think everyone relates this title to Jon & Dany, however I think this is more focused on Jon Snow only, It's about being a Dragon from his dad and a Wolf from his mother.. I think Brann is finally telling him the truth about this parents.

Looks to be an epic episode, everyone gathering on the Dragonpit, also I'm curious about the army of the unsullied and the Dothrakis in front of Jamie and Bron, anyone know where this is happening?
Mex-Buc

Postby Ironworker808 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm sure the internet is full of people complaining that this season is rushed.

I'm sure the internet is full of people who complained that previous seasons drug out too much.

I'm sure they're the same people.
Ironworker808

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Ironworker808 wrote:I'm sure the internet is full of people complaining that this season is rushed.

I'm sure the internet is full of people who complained that previous seasons drug out too much.

Maybe so, but it seems like a big shift. Until this season I don't think I saw anyone complain about GoT, at least not people I follow or am friends with. Now it seems 50/50 of people upset about it and people loving it.

I'm not saying it's to the point where TWD got to and fans stopped watching in mass, but the approval rating appears to be way down from it's normal (best show ever) status, especially after last episode.

edit: I understand the rush. They have a lot to tie up and for whatever reason (likely money), have decided to have shortened seasons. They have a lot to do in very little time.
uscbucsfan

Postby GameTime » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I'm seeing a growing opinion that the last episode jumped the shark of sorts. Not just with the timeline, or the WW getting a huge chain and somehow attaching it to the dragon, but with the whole plan to bring the WW to Cersei.

I still enjoy it and do not agree with that sentiment, but I think this rushed season is turning a lot of people off. They should have just made it 10 episodes and had more filler.

I dont care too much about the timeline, or the chains, who really cares. I am upset at the dumb plan to take a WW/wight to cersei!
GameTime

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:21 pm

GameTime wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I'm seeing a growing opinion that the last episode jumped the shark of sorts. Not just with the timeline, or the WW getting a huge chain and somehow attaching it to the dragon, but with the whole plan to bring the WW to Cersei.

I dont care too much about the timeline, or the chains, who really cares. I am upset at the dumb plan to take a WW/wight to cersei!

Lol. That was my real qualm.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:36 pm

GameTime wrote:

That plan reeked of "TV writers create drama".

GRRM pisses me off because his could have been avoided.
PrimeMinister

Postby Ironworker808 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Ironworker808 wrote:I'm sure the internet is full of people complaining that this season is rushed.

Maybe so, but it seems like a big shift. Until this season I don't think I saw anyone complain about GoT, at least not people I follow or am friends with. Now it seems 50/50 of people upset about it and people loving it.

I'm not saying it's to the point where TWD got to and fans stopped watching in mass, but the approval rating appears to be way down from it's normal (best show ever) status, especially after last episode.

edit: I understand the rush. They have a lot to tie up and for whatever reason (likely money), have decided to have shortened seasons. They have a lot to do in very little time.

The shortened seasons are the result of a compromise between HBO and the show runners. David and D.B. wanted it to end this season while HBO wanted two more 10 episode seasons. The compromise was two 'shortened' seasons. D & D.B. want to move on.

I feel like we've been watching a **** ton of character building for the last six years. I don't need to see yet another five minutes of dialogue between Tyrian and Davos and Gendry while they're rowing the boat away from Kings Landing. I know who they are, I know what they are. I may be in the minority, but the pacing of this season hasn't bothered me at all.
Ironworker808

Postby Super K » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Ironworker808 wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I feel like we've been watching a **** ton of character building for the last six years. I don't need to see yet another five minutes of dialogue between Tyrian and Davos and Gendry while they're rowing the boat away from Kings Landing. I know who they are, I know what they are. I may be in the minority, but the pacing of this season hasn't bothered me at all.

Agreed...
Super K

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic