How do you clean your....

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
How do you clean your....

Postby acmillis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Grill?

I have a propane grill and use the little rough toll on the grates after each time but want to do a deep cleaning
acmillis

Re: How do you clean your....

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

I ain't gonna lie. I thought this was going to be a toilet paper thread.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:21 pm

Turn it up to 750 degrees for a half hour.

Clean
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Turn it up to 750 degrees for a half hour.

Clean

maybe not a half hour, but I use this same technique.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby acmillis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Clean

maybe not a half hour, but I use this same technique.

Nothing but heat, no chemicals?
How often?
acmillis

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:32 pm

acmillis wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:maybe not a half hour, but I use this same technique.

How often?

When I preheat the grill mostly. then I hit it with a brush.

About once a year I'll take out my lava rocks and clean them in a bucket with some dish detergent, hose them off and put them back in and will do the same with the grill surfaces, but cooking of the grease works like a champ.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:50 pm

acmillis wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:maybe not a half hour, but I use this same technique.

How often?

Depending what I cook, maybe after every 10 or 15 uses. More often if it’s messy sauce stuff like ribs. Then I just use the steel brush that comes with it.
Zarniwoop

Postby NYBF » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Only use charcoal (although I've got a second hand gas grill that needs some TLC). After I light the coals, I put the grill on top. Wait a couple minutes, hit it with a brush. That's it.
NYBF

Postby IronDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Usually wait til next use. Typically turn on the heat where I need it for whatever I'm cooking and let it sit til it gets there. Then scrape the grates with the wire brush, being careful not to leave any steel fibers behind. My wife bought me one of these big tapered wood tools, that mostly looks like a canoe oar with the end squared off. I've tried scraping with it, but, meh. Back to the wire brush. One thing tho, push away, DON'T pull it back to you, unless you really want to wear whatever charred goop you are attempting to get rid of.
IronDog

Postby IronDog » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 am

Hey NY, down here in upper AL at the annual Madison Street Festival and one of the vendors is giving this package away... Image
IronDog

Postby NYBF » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:24 pm

That is a sweet prize
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Every time I use it I scrape down the grates and empty the drip pan. I'm a cook so I'm what you'd call anal about my equipment.
The Outsider

Postby Kress » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:57 am

The Outsider wrote: I'm what you'd call anal about my equipment.

There must be a way to OOCA that.

Anyway, on topic: While my food rests after cooking, I keep the grill nice and hot, take a brass bristle brush, dip it in water from a little bucket I keep stored underneath, and brush the grates a few times. Dip, brush, dip, brush, just real quick and easy. The steam deglazes the grates, and you're good to go for next time around.

Also on that note, today is grill rehab day. My heat shields are pretty well toast, and I found some new ones on clearance at Lowe's last week. I'm going to clean everything out real good and pop those on. I need to check the burners while I'm at it, but they're still working just fine so probably nothing going there. The beauty of living in Florida..... They put all of the grill stuff on clearance this time of year because it's out of season. Time for Christmas stuff. Except for the fact that we're just entering prime outdoor/grilling season here. Suckers.
Kress

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am

Clean

I take the food up and bring it in the house and then a couple minutes later I go out and shut it off. The next time I use it, I pre heat and then hit it with a wire brush.
mdb1958

Postby IronDog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:54 am

Kress wrote:
The Outsider wrote: I'm what you'd call anal about my equipment.

There must be a way to OOCA that.

Anyway, on topic: While my food rests after cooking, I keep the grill nice and hot, take a brass bristle brush, dip it in water from a little bucket I keep stored underneath, and brush the grates a few times. Dip, brush, dip, brush, just real quick and easy. The steam deglazes the grates, and you're good to go for next time around.

Also on that note, today is grill rehab day. My heat shields are pretty well toast, and I found some new ones on clearance at Lowe's last week. I'm going to clean everything out real good and pop those on. I need to check the burners while I'm at it, but they're still working just fine so probably nothing going there. The beauty of living in Florida..... They put all of the grill stuff on clearance this time of year because it's out of season. Time for Christmas stuff. Except for the fact that we're just entering prime outdoor/grilling season here. Suckers.

Do people actually, really stow their outdoor cooking systems, be it grill, smoker or outdoor kitchen, during the "winter"? When we moved up here from Spring Hill, one of my co-workers mentioned something to this effect after I had brought some smoked goodies in to share. I just looked at him in a more dumbfounded way than normal. I had never heard of, or considered doing so when the winter showed up down there, unless that 2-day event was mid-week since I was on the East coast during that time. And since the beginning of March 2015 when we arrived up here, I've never done so either. I guess, maybe if we were in the Arctic, but then again, we're still talking about grilled or smoked goodies. I think I'd find a way.
IronDog

Postby NYBF » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 am

Twenty plus years with the original Weber Kettle, and it was never stored. I used a cover a few times, but as they wore out and were replaced, the newer ones were bigger and bigger pieces of crap. After one lasted 3 months before cracking from the sun, I gave up and left it out all the time. As long as the top vent is closed, the grill was fine.
NYBF

Postby IronDog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 pm

But these guys are talking about NOT using them for 1/4 of the year. My wife would kill me if I didn't supplement the meals with smoked and/or grilled stuff.
IronDog

Postby NYBF » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Not using your grill for 1/4 of the year, ESPECIALLY when you live down south, is like driving your convertible with the top up on a 68* fall day.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Grilling steak in cold weather is the best thing you can do

NEVER close the lid when grilling steak. You need that cool air blowing over the top of it. The closest I ever got to perfection was when it was cold as balls outside.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Grilling steak in cold weather is the best thing you can do

NEVER close the lid when grilling steak. You need that cool air blowing over the top of it. The closest I ever got to perfection was when it was cold as balls outside.

Best day I ever had was grilling shirtless and shoeless in the snow in Saratoga, NY in late November of, I think, 2015. Could have been 2014. The various meats came out perfect, the Tullamore Dew was flowing and the weed was stinky. I got minor frost bite on my toes. 10/10 would do it again.
The Outsider

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 am

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:25 am

New year's eve probably like 20 years ago. All I had was a little table top grill. Got home from work, had the gf over. Neighbors were having some huge party. As they're all arriving, I'm sitting on the front steps with the grill going, a bottle or wine, and a cigar.

All the people walk g past for the party were looking at me like I was crazy until they got downwind and smelled the filet mignon. Not really sure why people think grilling when it's cold /snowing is crazy.
NYBF

Postby Kress » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Damn, NY. You can't come in behind Buc2's pic, start telling a story about you sitting outside with your lit grill, wine, and a cigar, watching partygoers pass by, only to have the punch line be yummy food. You just sucked all the life out of that one.
Kress

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Damn, I didn't even see that (somehow). I was following up about "the best time you grilled."
NYBF

Return to Off Topic