What's the difference?

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
What's the difference?

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:59 pm

For funsies.

What's the biggest difference between who you are versus the persona you project? Whether it's here on the board or in real life, I want to know the biggest split between how you act and how you truly feel.

I'll start.

Socially-

I really want to be a curmudgeonly old ***hole. Think Gran Torino. I also have a deep-seated desire to be liked and included (don't Dr. Phil me here); so I'm often described by my friends as the awkward ***hole with the heart of gold. Their words, not mine.

Professionally -

I'm ultra competitive. I can't stand it when someone else is better than me at a task/function/similar position. I'll bust my ass until I'm comparable at a minimum. Flipside is, I don't wan't to take credit for the guys that work for me, and will go out of my way to make sure their achievements and contributions get noticed - at times to my personal detriment.

The Board -

I mean, what can I say. I'm the only poster in all the flavors of the board to win OOCA, IOTW, POTW, Predict the Score, LOW, and FOW. Have I mentioned I'm #1 on the all time LOW leader board? I mean, if you look at those accolades - that's kind of amazing. Dare I say, Legendary. But I digress. This isn't about my accomplishments, after all.

And, go!
Rocker

Re: What's the difference?

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 am

Is this where we vote?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:57 am

I don't argue with people IRL. Like, not ever outside of my immediate family. I let things drop. Probably why I argue so much here. Gotta work through it.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:18 am

Socially -

While I don't have a need to be the center of attention, I do want people to know I'm in the room. I like to have fun and will engage in conversations on most any topic. I can also be competitive in social settings where games are involved. Be it beer pong, darts, corn hole, billiards, or whatever. Depending on the situation, I can also be shy when it came to approaching women. Probably due to a lack of confidence. Without going all psycho-babble, perhaps it's because I don't like rejection {shrug}. Which is kinda odd because once I strike up a conversation with a woman, I have no trouble conversing with them at all. I always try to remain respectful of others opinions, but I will not hesitate to argue if I don't agree with it.

Professionally -

I tend to let my work speak for me rather than make a lot of noise trying to get higher ups to notice me. That strategy has been successful but it has also been detrimental at times. I'm very exacting in my work. I take great pride in my work and I won't do anything half-assed just to get it done. I'm always watching for ways to do my job more efficiently. Probably because I tend to be a bit lazy. By that I mean, I like my "**** off" time. So the more efficient I can make a process, the more time it frees up for my "**** off" time. While I'm competitive socially, I'm the opposite professionally. But in my job, there really isn't much of a need for me to try and be competitive. That's probably fortunate for me.

Board -

In all honesty, my board personality isn't much different than my real life personality and if you ever meet me in real life, I'm confident you would agree with that statement. I'm just as outspoken. I still have an opinion on most any subject and will let it be known. I like to have fun and love humor as well as being humorous (trying anyway) in my interactions with others here. I try to be respectful, for the most part, to people and will make sure they know when I agree with them or like something they've said. That last part is probably why I've "thanked" 925 posts to date. So, to know me here is to know me out there as well.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:17 am

Socially- I have a small social circle but I'm one of the only people I know who is still great friends with multiple people I've known since elementary school. I'm loyal as hell and I'll do anything I can to help a friend. I do love a good debate or argument though.

Professionally- I'm very polite and charismatic, I'm a great salesman. Though I hate doing it. In terms of competitiveness I don't have much of it in the professional world because I'm not really super passionate about what I do. Otherwise, I work for myself so if the higher up doesn't notice my phenomenal work, well, he should lay off the pot.

Board- Y'all bitches know who I am.
The Outsider

Postby IronDog » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:14 am

In the immortal words of our favorite sailor man..."I yam what I yam". I'm an ***hole here, there and everywhere. Just ask my wife.
IronDog

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

Rocker wrote:For funsies.

What's the biggest difference between who you are versus the persona you project? Whether it's here on the board or in real life, I want to know the biggest split between how you act and how you truly feel.

Socially- I'd like to think I'm pretty extroverted socially and like to strike up conversations with anyone. I can relate with anyone. Around close friends and family I'm certainly one that likes to stir the pot (a shit-starter). I have an appreciation for snark, wit, and dry-humor. I'm not good at hiding how I feel and volunteer way to much information. I have a bad habit of over explaining things/providing too much detail (at least more than is often required or desired apparently :P ). I'm can be stubborn at times and am not as sensitive to other peoples feelings as I could be, nor do I expect them to be about mine. I'm a believer in having a thick skin and not giving a **** about what people think of me outside of family and close friends. If you don't like me for me, we're both better off imo. I'm not a fan socializing with people that just smile and talk about work. I like to get to know people and that rubs some folks the wrong way. Once my daughter gets a bit older and I have to start interacting with other parents I'm sure I'll have to be the type of person I don't like hanging around.

Professionally - This is where I project the most by far. Growing up playing team sports (baseball into college) and then joining the Navy and being in the (all-male) Submarine community for 9 years I'm certainly not as PC as I otherwise likely would've been. I have a crude and vulgar vocabulary when I'm being myself, so now that I work in a corporate setting I'm careful to project a much more professional version of myself. Especially in my first few meetings with clients and prospects. But in my experience that is how it is with most people I interact with professionally. There are just certain lines I don't cross professionally that I otherwise constantly would socially.

The Board - I am who I am. I appreciate the anonymity of usernames for obvious privacy reasons, but I'm familiar with some people here on social media. I've met a couple people at training camp as well. I talk more football here than I do in real life, but that is my primary use for this board.
DreadNaught

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:23 am

Socially -- I don't think there is any difference between who I am and what I project. I have a few different circles of friends (dirtbiking, colleagues, church, mom/dads from daughter's school, old friends, etc). While one part of me is emphasized more when I'm with one group versus the other, i think every group has a good idea of who i am.

Professionally -- I have to work hard at being more serious and professional then I ideally want. Too many stodgy elitists in academia for me. I'd rather just show up to class in jeans and sweater. I also have to pretend I care in about 90% of the meetings I have to attend. I genuinely care in the other 10%. For my consulting I take the show up to the next level and dress and talk like corporate america...which isn't me at all.

Board -- i have no idea how i come across, so its hard to answer. i certainly don't temper too much of me on here.
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

Zwoop, you sort of come across as a stodgy elitist.
Rocker

Postby Deuce » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 am

Socially- I'm really good in 1-on-1 situations. Like, I'd go on Tinder dates and kill it. I went on a work trip with a Sri Lankan woman in her 50's (who I had never spoken to) and we were legit friends after. I tell stories, make jokes, everything. The bigger the group, the less I talk and the more I try to just blend in. Those dinners with like 8 of my gf's friends, I just listen, laugh, and try to throw out a few smart quips.

Professionally- Pretty much the same, I'm good in small meetings. I'm not comfortable with speaking in public or big meetings, hopefully I get over that.

Board- I'm much more outspoken on here. I rarely argue with people in real life. Sometimes I do get tilted here and I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I have in real life.

I think it's more the amount and tone of my voice that changes with each different scenario. I don't think I ever pretend to be something or someone that I'm not. I've had multiple people tell me I'm genuine, I think that's probably the best compliment I could get so I try to stick to it. A lot of people have commented that I also never talk bad about anyone.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am

DreadNaught wrote:I'm not good at hiding how I feel and volunteer way to much information. I have a bad habit of over explaining things/providing too much detail (at least more than is often required or desired apparently :P )..

This reminds me of my girlfriend. When my dad met her, he asked where she went to high school. Her response was, "Well, I went to the high school on the island for three years, which was kind of far away. But in my junior year they started building a high school in my hometown. Before senior year, they gave us the chance to switch high schools if we wanted to. I was like 'heck no, techno', I'm not gonna be a senior and have to ask where the bathrooms are and stuff."

I found it so endearing. How do you give such a long response and not even mention the school name?
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:22 pm

Socially- I'm a homebody. I don't go out a lot, nor do I have a large circle of friends that I regularly hang out with. I do have a small group of very close friends that I get together with regularly, and I do a lot of stuff with family, but you won't see me at a social organization that has regular meetings (Church, Chamber of Commerce, VFW). That said, I'm pretty congenial to the general public. I can shoot the **** with most anybody for 30 minutes, particularly at a bar. I genuinely enjoy the random conversations I have with random bar patrons and bartenders. On the street, I go out of my way to be nice/funny/congenial to strangers I interact with. Service workers like Cashiers and waitresses in particular. But my preference is to stay home and hang out with my wife who is my best friend in the whole wide world.

At Work- I'm a soldier by trade. I carry out my orders with little complaint and the more specific my orders are, the better I am at carrying them out. I'll enable anyone around me to carry out thier orders as well (gotta look out for your buddy) But I'm no workaholic. My job is driven by periodic deadlines, so meeting those deadlines is my motivator and the only way you're going to get me to put in the overtime. This mindset has its drawbacks in that its not a good one for entrepreneurs and is real "in the box" thinking. I'm in the embryo stage of learning how to change this habit.

On the board- To both my benefit and my detriment, I'm an open book here and post what I actually think. The benefit of anonymity here is being able to be yourself without much consequence and what keeps me coming back here is the ability to talk about the stuff that goes on in my head. Again, to both my benefit and my detriment.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Great topic, Rocker. I'm enjoying this. It actually feels like I know each of the responders a little bit better.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Buc2 wrote:Great topic, Rocker. I'm enjoying this. It actually feels like I know each of the responders a little bit better.

Agreed, although to read that MJW doesn't argue much in person is a surprise. Especially with the age of her kids.

I'd say another big difference for me is that I tend to respond quickly and in a sort of stream of consciousness sort of way on the boards, whereas I'm much more likely to think about my responses before replying in person to person context.
Rocker

Postby Kress » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Rocker wrote:I'd say another big difference for me is that I tend to respond quickly and in a sort of stream of consciousness sort of way on the boards, whereas I'm much more likely to think about my responses before replying in person to person context.

Life forgot to install the "edit" feature.
Kress

Postby Rocker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Kress wrote:
Rocker wrote:I'd say another big difference for me is that I tend to respond quickly and in a sort of stream of consciousness sort of way on the boards, whereas I'm much more likely to think about my responses before replying in person to person context.

Life forgot to install the "edit" feature.

I heard it was included with the premium service pack.
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Just figured I would participate

Socially Shockingly, I am pretty reserved in an environment that I am not comfortable with. I like to be comfortable before I become involved. It’s the surprising personality trait when people meet me.

Professionally I have been in software delivery for 30+ years, and came in through the development background. I have created, supported, and managed systems in many different industries. Most of true friendships have developed here, and yet are also more associations or colleagues. Continually travelling, and learning is a great challenge. It’s constant change, and the ability to adapt and transform requirements quickly is a great passion. I am way too intense, and drive hard for product completion. I take it VERY seriously, yet attempt to have fun. During project transition and Go Live, it becomes critical to take pressures off the teams, and balance that with the completion and tracking of all changes.

Board Much of who I am here is who I want to be. A lot more bold, and confident. I can monitor and check the responses, and not worry as much to the reaction. Once I extended beyond and now through social media, it’s been easier to related, acknowledge, and even meet. I have met a few much earlier while hanging in the SEZ, when I lived in Tampa and transitioning to G’ville. There are talks of the Chip P Honorary Softball game that I would love to see go on, so many of us could meet.
Crocaneers

Postby The Outsider » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:15 pm

That softball game would be great. Some of us aren't on Facebook, etc. So if anything comes of thay make sure to post over here about it!
The Outsider

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:48 pm

The Outsider wrote:That softball game would be great. Some of us aren't on Facebook, etc. So if anything comes of thay make sure to post over here about it!

It will be it's own thread for sure.
Crocaneers

Postby Patrick McIrish » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:41 am

I don't think there's much difference between fake PMI the poster and PMI the person.......

I enjoy discussions (arguments). I enjoy winning. I'm disliked almost across the board.

I know, I know, it's hard to believe.....

At 6' 4" with my intelligence, a great SOH, and 7% body fat you'd think the opposite but it's true, not many care for the old Irishman. :(
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:46 am

Deuce wrote: A lot of people have commented that I also never talk bad about anyone.

Fitzgerald line one for you, Ryan Fitzgerald on the phone......
Patrick McIrish

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:17 pm

Still drive a Hyundai?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:40 pm

There is none
Bootz2004

Postby Betsy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:I know, I know, it's hard to believe.....

At 6' 4" and 7% body fat. (

6'4", 7% body fat?

Who are you? 7% body fat? Wait, are you Trump?
Betsy

Return to Off Topic