Morning wood

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Morning wood

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:When did awfully thick wood become a problem?

OOCA
Crocaneers

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 am

"That's what she said"?
Super K

Postby Kress » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 am

When it belongs to your cellmate?
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:09 am

Kress... always taking the practical approach.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby IronDog » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Tend to use apple almost exclusively. I'll use pecan for sausage stuffed pork chops. I've used orange on occasion with salmon or chicken, but for the most part apple rules the smoker. I tried hickory one time and the result tasted like s mouthful of propane. Something not quite right for us.

Decided to roll up and smoke a big ole fatty yhe other day, and it was outstanding. Very similar to NY's breakfast roll.
Got a bacon weave, upon which you lay out 2# of breakfast sausage that was flattened inside a gallon ziploc bag. On top of the sausage went a 1/2# of diced Virginia ham and a bag of shredded cheddar. Always remembering to add seasonings to each layer. Using the ziploc bag like a sushi board roll up the sausage and ham and cheese. As was noted, it's a bitch keeping everything contained. Gotta fold the ends in. Then place the log onto the bacon weave so that the sausage seam is in the middle of the weave then roll the weave around the log. Fold up the foil used below the bacon and set the entire thing chill in the fridge a few hours to form up. Into the smoker at 225 for roughly 2 hour til yhe temp gets where it needs to be and slather a little of my homemade honey-jack bbq's sauce and get ready for a taste explosion. Image
IronDog

Postby NYBF » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Pre-roll the guts! Brilliant!
NYBF

Postby Super K » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:42 pm

IronDog wrote:Tend to use apple almost exclusively. I'll use pecan for sausage stuffed pork chops. I've used orange on occasion with salmon or chicken, but for the most part apple rules the smoker. I tried hickory one time and the result tasted like s mouthful of propane. Something not quite right for us.

Decided to roll up and smoke a big ole fatty yhe other day, and it was outstanding. Very similar to NY's breakfast roll.
Got a bacon weave, upon which you lay out 2# of breakfast sausage that was flattened inside a gallon ziploc bag. On top of the sausage went a 1/2# of diced Virginia ham and a bag of shredded cheddar. Always remembering to add seasonings to each layer. Using the ziploc bag like a sushi board roll up the sausage and ham and cheese. As was noted, it's a bitch keeping everything contained. Gotta fold the ends in. Then place the log onto the bacon weave so that the sausage seam is in the middle of the weave then roll the weave around the log. Fold up the foil used below the bacon and set the entire thing chill in the fridge a few hours to form up. Into the smoker at 225 for roughly 2 hour til yhe temp gets where it needs to be and slather a little of my homemade honey-jack bbq's sauce and get ready for a taste explosion. Image

I love you
Super K

Postby Kress » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:46 pm

In the grocery store the other day I saw Jack Daniels whisky barrel smoking chips. I didn't check or google, but I'm just guessing that the underlying barrel wood is oak. Add in the whiskey aging in it for however long, and that sounds interesting due to what I imagine would be a sweetness factor. I'm guessing good for ribs or a brisket?
Kress

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Kress wrote:In the grocery store the other day I saw Jack Daniels whisky barrel smoking chips. I didn't check or google, but I'm just guessing that the underlying barrel wood is oak. Add in the whiskey aging in it for however long, and that sounds interesting due to what I imagine would be a sweetness factor. I'm guessing good for ribs or a brisket?

Charred white oak to be specific, and yes, it oes put a nice flavor on whatever you're smoking. I'm just too cheap to pay JD for their brand name on a regular basis.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:put a nice flavor on whatever you're smoking

Any recommendations for me to give them a shot?
Kress

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Kress wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:put a nice flavor on whatever you're smoking

Any recommendations for me to give them a shot?

Poultry or ribs would be my bet since the whiskey puts a bit of sweetness on it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Stuart » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:50 am

Stuart

Previous

Return to Off Topic