A GoFundMe request

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
A GoFundMe request

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Admin, please remove if the post violates board rules.

I’ve never done one of these before, and it really, really ****ing sucks that I’m doing one now.

A friend of mine has been having random seizures for a while now. Doctors initially said it was due to a cyst that had formed on the inside of his skull; and were treating it with various medications. Fast forward - the cyst has been reclassified as a tumor after an MRI this evening, and surgery has been scheduled for July 24th. My buddy’s going to get a chunk of his skull taken off. I’m in a position to take care of his family’s lodging during the operation and recovery, but I can’t do much more than that. Anything anyone can do to help out would mean the world to me and to his family.

https://www.gofundme.com/belly-has-an-a ... 9e9a9b473e
Rocker

Re: A GoFundMe request

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Damn I’m sorry to hear that, Rocker.
PrimeMinister

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:28 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Damn I’m sorry to hear that, Rocker.

Thanks, PM. Kevin is a world class, Grade A dude. He’s worked his ass off to make a life for him and his, and to have this happen to him is a real kick in the teeth. I admire the hell out of him, and want to do anything I can to help. I’ll spam every form of social media I can think of for help.
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:04 am

Rocker

This is really hard to read. Where is Kevin getting treated? Keep us posted. I dont think you broke any rules, this was a kind thought.
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 am

Rocker I’m really sorry to hear this. I wish for the very best outcome for your friend
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 am

Crocaneers wrote:Rocker

This is really hard to read. Where is Kevin getting treated? Keep us posted. I dont think you broke any rules, this was a kind thought.

Depends on where his doctor wants to do the procedure. They live in a small town in Texas, so they'll be going to one of the big cities, I'm sure. I think Dallas is closest to them. Looking at 3-4 weeks recovery from what his wife tells me. Preliminary date is July 24. I know her, her daughter and mother had a vacation planned to Costa Rica starting the week of the 11th they had been saving up for.
Rocker

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Rocker I’m really sorry to hear this. I wish for the very best outcome for your friend

+1 best of luck to the guy. hope everything turns out well
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:26 am

I wish for the best for your friend and his family.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:31 am

Man, that's rough. This thread is fine though, Rocker. Just as long as there are no t-shirts involved.

My thoughts are with your friend and his family.
The Outsider

Postby Babeinbucland » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Omg that is so awful. Going to donate now. I am so sorry. Do they know if the tumor is benign or not?
Babeinbucland

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 am

Babeinbucland wrote:Omg that is so awful. Going to donate now. I am so sorry. Do they know if the tumor is benign or not?

No, they don’t know yet. They’re trying to move up the surgery date, and have it done close to Plano.
Rocker

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:31 pm

Update from Kevin’s wife:

Update: Belly is out of surgery. He’s had this tumor all his life and had been slow growing. It was the size of a small fist. They were able to remove 98% of it because of the parts of the brain this was attached to would have been too dangerous to remove. He will have another MRI tomorrow. He does have a drain for the fluid and because of this will require to be in the ICU for at least 48 hours. I have not been allowed to see him yet. Breathing tube removed, good news. Doc said the type of tumor he had in the brain is very rare and he had pictures and will be writing about it for studies. The next few days and then weeks will require for him to be watched close to ensure he recovers (high probability of seizures) and fingers crossed his body can naturally remove the fluid build up in his brain so they don’t have to go back in.

Just got off the phone with her, he’s been awake and aware, and “he really hates his catheter.” Docs gave him some sort of super painkillers and he’s back out. CCU for 48 hours until the drain comes out, then another 48 hours in MSICU. Plan is to release him to home convalescence early next week. Full recovery in four weeks. How crazy is that? Dude had his freaking skull cracked open and people literally sawing at his brain and he will be back to business a month later...

Thanks so very much for the donations. We came close to $500, and the family wanted me to share how grateful they are for everything.
Rocker

Return to Off Topic