Bad discs!

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Bad discs!

Postby IronDog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Well, I may have mentioned in the past that my back is assaulting me. Seems the car accident from '87 and possibly genetic issues really didn't help matters. For years I have been dealing with Degenerative Disc Disease. Most notably the one that binds the spine to the hips/coxic. L5/S1 was shrinking. I guess I can consider myself fortunate in that I actually stil had a moveable S1/S2 disc. Most folks, I understand, typically lose that when the body stops growing and the coxic bones self fuse together. When I moved up here to Huntspatch from Spring Hill, the pain in the low back had pretty much become so constant that I wouldn't know how to act if it wasn't affecting me. I went to an orthopedic surgeon up here and he told me I don't have to worry about L5/S1 deterioration anymore as it was pretty much bone on bone. In fact, likely the joint will fuse itself and my only concern would be if the opening for the big nerve root going down the legs impinged the nerves (which is the case). Yay Me!

Well that was 2015. 2 months later saw me having my guts ripped open for the third time, and the recommendation from that surgeon to forgoe any back surgery if I could as the method preferred for that location was to access the spine by going through the front door. So, resulting process is to treat the symptoms chemically and to live with the issues.

Along comes Christmas day, 2016 and I stepped out into the back yard to play with the little dog. She loves the mini tennis balls. So in a very relaxed manner, I bent over to pick up the ball and felt a pop down low. Now the area pops all the time so that didn't surprise me overly much. What was unusual was the twin icepick jabs that went along with the noise. By the end of the day, I couldn't hardly get out of a chair it hurt so bad. Turns out L4/L5 was throwing a tantrum and spit a big gob of itself into the spinal cavity pressing against the cord. Yippee!

Well, back injections controlled this for typically 6-month stints. He would poke a needle up from low in the spine and using some sort of magic, delivered steroids and anti-inflamatory goo directly onto the affected areas. So, on the 19th of last month we did another MRI to see how things were looking and, surprise surprise, the majority of the blob (looked like the Rolling Stones logo) hanging halfway down the back side of L5 was gone. Just a little bit of material protruding. So it seems the disc either sucked it back in or the body took it away. Well that was good news.

So along comes Saturday the 2nd, and Shirley asked me to paint a napkin holder for the guest bathroom. So I am down near the fence with spray paing in hand coating this chrome wire cage, in a semi squatting position and POP!!! Much like before, the twin jabs but it was loud enough to hear. Great. By the end of the day, she comes home and asks how things are going and I let her know that things were going, but I was just crying my way thru the day. And, believe it or not, I was actually hoping that it was L4/L5 again and not a new player in the game.

MRI yesterday and I look at the scans and see the same blob, only not as thick, as before. And the nice thing about this Diagnostic center is they give you a CD with your scans, along with an application to view them in. Two of the files were Axial views which means looking up or down the spine, as opposed to the other three which are vertical side views. Each file consisting of 10 - 12 images or slices. Pretty neat. So looking at the axial views, the last two images appear to show a disc-shaped blob in front of the spine but between the spine and what appears to be the peritoneum (the sack all of your guts are held in), and I don't recall seeing that before. So, now I have to wait to see what the doctor has to say about all of this. I'm wearing out my EMS and TENS units and my ice packs.

Don't I have enough to deal with? It's bad enough that my guts are eating themselves, but I get to walk around like a 90 year old?
IronDog

Re: Bad discs!

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:06 pm

I can't imagine, ID. I hate that you are having to live through such pain all the time. It's too bad they can't do spine transplants yet. You would probably qualify for such a procedure if it existed.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby IronDog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:32 pm

I swear I seem to remember BucFanTexas telling of his post-bull riding venture where the magicians were able to replace a portion of his spine with an artificial segment, complete with discs and multiple vertebra. Reminds me of the Borg queen's spine the Picard snapped in First Contact. I think I'd rather go for the digestive track replacement first.
IronDog

Postby deltbucs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 am

And then you got an inversion table and told the doctor to **** off?
deltbucs

Postby The Outsider » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 am

Back issues are a sonofabitch.
The Outsider

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:21 am

Just watch the meds. Those get to be more than the pain. Yet the pain is horrible.

I'm prayerful things turn for you.
Crocaneers

Postby IronDog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:37 am

deltbucs wrote:And then you got an inversion table and told the doctor to **** off?

You know, I had one in FL. Seemed to be mixed results. Oftentimes, tho, I'd feel worse for the rest of the day. At this juncture tho, the entire low back screens at me when I try to "lift" my self out of my chair with my arms. I have to scoot forward til I can get my feet under me. Seems the drag of the hips (which is the goal of traction and/or the inversion table) decompressing the spine is much worse than the compression of sitting/standing. I always thought you want to relieve the compression to help the condition but, me being me, it seems I got to be different.
IronDog

Postby deltbucs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:09 pm

IronDog wrote:
deltbucs wrote:And then you got an inversion table and told the doctor to **** off?

You know, I had one in FL. Seemed to be mixed results. Oftentimes, tho, I'd feel worse for the rest of the day. At this juncture tho, the entire low back screens at me when I try to "lift" my self out of my chair with my arms. I have to scoot forward til I can get my feet under me. Seems the drag of the hips (which is the goal of traction and/or the inversion table) decompressing the spine is much worse than the compression of sitting/standing. I always thought you want to relieve the compression to help the condition but, me being me, it seems I got to be different.

My post was just an ode to OweTwon, but that does suck.
deltbucs

Postby IronDog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:42 am

deltbucs wrote:
IronDog wrote:You know, I had one in FL. Seemed to be mixed results. Oftentimes, tho, I'd feel worse for the rest of the day. At this juncture tho, the entire low back screens at me when I try to "lift" my self out of my chair with my arms. I have to scoot forward til I can get my feet under me. Seems the drag of the hips (which is the goal of traction and/or the inversion table) decompressing the spine is much worse than the compression of sitting/standing. I always thought you want to relieve the compression to help the condition but, me being me, it seems I got to be different.

My post was just an ode to OweTwon, but that does suck.

Ah. Memory missed. All good buddy.
IronDog

Return to Off Topic