Daily Driver

Fun Machines

Heidguy

Re: The Automotive Thread

Postby Ironworker808 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Super K wrote:She's a beauty IW...

The Outsider wrote:Sweet truck IW.

Thanks, guys.

It funny, Mrs. 808 and I were talking about “Powerball purchases” a couple of weeks ago. I honestly don’t think I’d get a different vehicle.

I’d drop $10-$20,000 into the one I have, customizing it! But I really don’t think I’d get rid of it. Not for a few years, anyway.
Ironworker808

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 01, 2018 8:35 pm

I'd probably buy another F150 if I won the lotto. My wife drives ours during the week and I miss it all week. I've always wanted a Range Rover as well.

and MB that Mustang was my childhood dream car.

edit: The 250 looks awesome, but I need to use the 360 camera every time I park the 150. I'd never be able to park the 250...
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue May 01, 2018 8:47 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I'd probably buy another F150 if I won the lotto. My wife drives ours during the week and I miss it all week. I've always wanted a Range Rover as well.

edit: The 250 looks awesome, but I need to use the 360 camera every time I park the 150. I'd never be able to park the 250...

I've wanted a red 66 convertible since before I could drive.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 01, 2018 8:58 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I'd probably buy another F150 if I won the lotto. My wife drives ours during the week and I miss it all week. I've always wanted a Range Rover as well.

I've finally gotten to the point where I only use my mirrors to back in, etc after 3 years of driving a 150. The 250 I only want because I do construction work, so the extra towing and hauling capacity along with larger bed would be a huge boon.
The Outsider

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 pm

The Outsider wrote:

I've finally gotten to the point where I only use my mirrors to back in, etc after 3 years of driving a 150. The 250 I only want because I do construction work, so the extra towing and hauling capacity along with larger bed would be a huge boon.

I have to use the backup camera, but after owning my truck, I now see why so many truck owners back in. It's 1000x easier.

I can't back my boat to save my life, but the trailer assist does it all for me. If that ever broke, I'd probably just have to leave it there until someone helped me.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby The Outsider » Tue May 01, 2018 9:05 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I have to use the backup camera, but after owning my truck. I now see why so many truck owners back in. It's 1000x easier.

I can't back my boat to save my life, but the trailer assist does it all for me. If that ever broke, I'd probably just have to leave it there until someone helped me.

I know that feeling. I hate trailers.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 pm

How does trailer assist work?
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:How does trailer assist work?

You put a sticker on your trailer. The truck comes with 20, but I'm sure you could get more (not that you would need more). The truck camera sees the sticker and calibrates the distance and everything from the black and white squares. When you turn it own you let go of the wheel and use a knob and look at the camera. You turn the knob until the lines point to where you want the trailer to go and the truck does the work and once it gets to that line it keeps it straight. It won't let you jackknife, either.

edit: I've parked my 28' boat in a spot where I only had an inch of clearance on both sides, first try without any issue. I say "I", Black Betty as we call her did all the work.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Cool...I’ve never seen it in action

But then again I’m not a woman and can reverse my trailer and put it on a dime

:P
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Cool...I’ve never seen it in action

But then again I’m not a woman and can reverse my trailer and put it on a dime

:P

I thought I turned in the man card already with the Taylor Swift love (I'm listening to her right now) and then again with the fact I can't park normally without the 360 camera. I figured I didn't have much more to lose.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby deltbucs » Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 am

Current vehicle is a '17 Silverado
Lotto daily driver would probably just be a totally decked out Silverado or Sierra.
Lotto fun car would probably be a Hummer....and not one of those gay H2's.
deltbucs

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 am

Ironworker808 wrote:Got this about a year ago. ‘Cause ya can’t be a beekeeper in a sedan!

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/BzooLD5

I’d post the pics here, but not sure how. Imgur doesn’t give me an option. Not one that I can find, anyway.

With your mouse, right click on the pic you want to post and select, "Copy image address."
Come back here and click the Img button from the tool bar at the top of the reply box.
Press the Ctrl + V keys on your keyboard to paste the image address between the [img ] and [/img ] codes or right click and select Paste.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Ironworker808 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:43 am

Unfortunately, this is what happens when I do that.

It’s because I’m on an iPad, not on a laptop. Haven’t opened my laptop in six months or so, lol.

Edit. Okay, it didn’t look like this when I previewed the post. Photo was much much bigger. Cool, works just the way you described. Photo is still too big for the board, but if I tap it, it’ll shrink it down enough to display the whole pic in an overlay window. But it looks the same as your description post.

Thanks!
Ironworker808

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 am

Ironworker808 wrote:Unfortunately, this is what happens when I do that.

It’s because I’m on an iPad, not on a laptop. Haven’t opened my laptop in six months or so, lol.

Edit. Okay, it didn’t look like this when I previewed the post. Photo was much much bigger. Cool, works just the way you described. Photo is still too big for the board, but if I tap it, it’ll shrink it down enough to display the whole pic in an overlay window. But it looks the same as your description post.

Thanks!

sweet truck!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Ken Carson » Thu May 03, 2018 9:42 am

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon- ... 2018-05-02

Seems like we have a much more heavy line group here with tons of trucks, but this was interesting automotive news.

Tesla continues to be a polarizing player in the industry, with a lot of classic 'car guys' remaining skeptical of its business plan, while the non-automotive tech industry types are keeping it going. Musk apparently didn't have time for 'boring' questions, and stocks fell in response. Oops.
Ken Carson

Postby Cheb » Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 pm

I rarely venture over to Off Topic. It's refreshing to see an automotive thread. I'm a gearhead from way back. I spent summers with my grandfather rebuilding and restoring old cars throughout my childhood, went to Michigan as a mechanical engineering student because they have excellent internships with The Big Three, spent years in the automotive industry in my twenties, and co-founded an automotive startup that got bought out by Tesla.

The main project in the shop is a doozy. I got a deal on a 1968 Jaguar E-Type in atrocious condition. Trust me, there were many reasons why it was so cheap. The car barely ran, but after a few months of aggressive rehab it is looking far better. Because the engine is on life support anyways I am looking to do a complete electric conversion, basically trying to make my own Jaguar E-type Zero. It'll save me 300-400k to just build my own as opposed to buying one when they are offered in 2020.
Cheb

Postby Ken Carson » Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am

Cheb wrote:I rarely venture over to Off Topic. It's refreshing to see an automotive thread. I'm a gearhead from way back. I spent summers with my grandfather rebuilding and restoring old cars throughout my childhood, went to Michigan as a mechanical engineering student because they have excellent internships with The Big Three, spent years in the automotive industry in my twenties, and co-founded an automotive startup that got bought out by Tesla.

The main project in the shop is a doozy. I got a deal on a 1968 Jaguar E-Type in atrocious condition. Trust me, there were many reasons why it was so cheap. The car barely ran, but after a few months of aggressive rehab it is looking far better. Because the engine is on life support anyways I am looking to do a complete electric conversion, basically trying to make my own Jaguar E-type Zero. It'll save me 300-400k to just build my own as opposed to buying one when they are offered in 2020.

Any thoughts on the current direction of Tesla? Would be really interested in your take.
Ken Carson

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Cheb wrote:I rarely venture over to Off Topic. It's refreshing to see an automotive thread. I'm a gearhead from way back. I spent summers with my grandfather rebuilding and restoring old cars throughout my childhood, went to Michigan as a mechanical engineering student because they have excellent internships with The Big Three, spent years in the automotive industry in my twenties, and co-founded an automotive startup that got bought out by Tesla.

Any thoughts on the current direction of Tesla? Would be really interested in your take.

Do you think the Model 3 will sink them? I've read a lot of reports since January putting Tesla on Bankruptcy watch before the end of the year. Apparently they are taking a $20k loss per vehicle right now.
uscbucsfan

Postby The Outsider » Mon May 07, 2018 10:48 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Any thoughts on the current direction of Tesla? Would be really interested in your take.

Do you think the Model 3 will sink them? I've read a lot of reports since January putting Tesla on Bankruptcy watch before the end of the year. Apparently they are taking a $20k loss per vehicle right now.

I'm curious as to how their other divisions play in to the company's revenue stream. Tesla is much more than an automotive company.
The Outsider

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon May 07, 2018 10:50 am

The Outsider wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Do you think the Model 3 will sink them? I've read a lot of reports since January putting Tesla on Bankruptcy watch before the end of the year. Apparently they are taking a $20k loss per vehicle right now.

I'm curious as to how their other divisions play in to the company's revenue stream. Tesla is much more than an automotive company.

This was a questions I had from reading an article talking about the company taking a 2 billion dollar loss. That has to be from other avenues. Musk is toeing the water a little bit of everything. I'm sure there is a ridiculous amount of R&D expenditures.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Mon May 07, 2018 11:10 am

I drive a 2013 Nissan Sentra. Nothing to brag about but it's black so I got black Konig rims, Vogue tires, tinted the windows, got a Kenwood double din head unit, and installed some subs and a backup camera. I really like the way it looks now so I plan on driving it for another 5-10 years. Not a car guy really, and I work in electric conservation, so I'm hoping there will be some decent electric options by that time.

Actually got some help on another forum so I have a couple pics *shrug*

Deuce

Postby Noles1724 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:40 am

Deuce wrote:I drive a 2013 Nissan Sentra. Nothing to brag about but it's black so I got black Konig rims, Vogue tires, tinted the windows, got a Kenwood double din head unit, and installed some subs and a backup camera. I really like the way it looks now so I plan on driving it for another 5-10 years. Not a car guy really, and I work in electric conservation, so I'm hoping there will be some decent electric options by that time.

sick crate opening!
Noles1724

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon May 07, 2018 11:56 am

Got the same license plate on my 2012 Acadia.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Cheb » Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Ken Carson wrote:

I've often thought that eventually Musk's habitual overpromising was going to bite him in the ass, maybe not to the point of financial ruin and industrial catastrophe, but definitely enough to knock him off his golden boy perch. From what my buddies who work there say and from what I glean from the news, you're starting to see the rumblings of that now.

That said, I'm not selling my stock just yet.
Cheb

Postby NYBF » Mon May 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Cheb wrote:I've often thought that eventually Musk's habitual overpromising was going to bite him in the ass

I didn't pay real close attention to it, but doesn't his new payout package essentially rest on this concept?
NYBF

Postby Deuce » Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 am

Noles1724 wrote:
Deuce wrote:I drive a 2013 Nissan Sentra. Nothing to brag about but it's black so I got black Konig rims, Vogue tires, tinted the windows, got a Kenwood double din head unit, and installed some subs and a backup camera. I really like the way it looks now so I plan on driving it for another 5-10 years. Not a car guy really, and I work in electric conservation, so I'm hoping there will be some decent electric options by that time.

sick crate opening!

I finally decided to buy a pack of keys. It was...not fun. lol

hmu this weekend, I'll be on a lot. I didn't play for a few weeks so I've been trying to shake off the rust.
Deuce

Postby Moozician » Wed May 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Lottery cars?

Moozician

Postby Tbayfan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:20 am

Still have this bad boy...Wenchy did a story on it several years ago along with a few other old car owners.

Tbayfan

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic