Last Movie You Watched?

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last Movie You Watched?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 am

real bucs fan wrote:Watched A Quiet Place. Quite good but I think getting overrated. Definitely learned from "Hush".

Not to compare the two movies..but not since ‘Get Out’ have I personally experienced such an intensity in a theater...until ‘A Quiet Place’. The “you could hear a pin drop” lack of sound...until....until....gasp...after gasp...The faces of the actors will haunt you like Daniel Kaluuya’s tear stained face
Phantom Phenom

Postby real bucs fan » Sun May 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Watched A Quiet Place. Quite good but I think getting overrated. Definitely learned from "Hush".

Not to compare the two movies..but not since ‘Get Out’ have I personally experienced such an intensity in a theater...until ‘A Quiet Place’. The “you could hear a pin drop” lack of sound...until....until....gasp...after gasp...The faces of the actors will haunt you like Daniel Kaluuya’s tear stained face

Definitely well made and well acted- Emily Blunt is one of the best in the game. I just wish it was a bit more fleshed out. Look at the first "Alien" for example, another atmospheric monster movie. But in Alien we see how it all unfolds from the beginning.... in A Quiet Place were just dropped in there, and I understand how hard it is to setup an Alien(we actually don't even know if they are even Aliens) invasion in an efficient amount of time, it just leaves a little to be desired IMHO, and has the whole thing lacking some context of how we got to this situation...
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:

Definitely well made and well acted- Emily Blunt is one of the best in the game. I just wish it was a bit more fleshed out. Look at the first "Alien" for example, another atmospheric monster movie. But in Alien we see how it all unfolds from the beginning.... in A Quiet Place were just dropped in there, and I understand how hard it is to setup an Alien(we actually don't even know if they are even Aliens) invasion in an efficient amount of time, it just leaves a little to be desired IMHO, and has the whole thing lacking some context of how we got to this situation...

Emily Blunt was awful in Sicario IMO. Her character and her. She ruined the movie for me.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Definitely well made and well acted- Emily Blunt is one of the best in the game. I just wish it was a bit more fleshed out. Look at the first "Alien" for example, another atmospheric monster movie. But in Alien we see how it all unfolds from the beginning.... in A Quiet Place were just dropped in there, and I understand how hard it is to setup an Alien(we actually don't even know if they are even Aliens) invasion in an efficient amount of time, it just leaves a little to be desired IMHO, and has the whole thing lacking some context of how we got to this situation...

Emily Blunt was awful in Sicario IMO. Her character and her. She ruined the movie for me.

Really? I've always been a huge fan of hers, one of the best actresses going right now. Saw Sicario in theatres so it's not fresh enough in my mind to comment, but I don't recall her being bad or anything. Great flick, excited for the sequel.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun May 06, 2018 10:11 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Emily Blunt was awful in Sicario IMO. Her character and her. She ruined the movie for me.

Really? I've always been a huge fan of hers, one of the best actresses going right now. Saw Sicario in theatres so it's not fresh enough in my mind to comment, but I don't recall he being bad or anything. Great flick, excited for the sequel.

I hated her and her character. I understand she was the regular person in over her head with "wolves", but I thought she over acted and her character/ character's motivations were lazy and annoying. I thought the movie was overall pretty mediocre. She was ok in the Adjustment Bureau, but other than that she's either been bad or didn't leave a lasting impression IMO. To each their own.
uscbucsfan

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:

I think being "dropped in" actually added to the mystery and suspense for me. I liked how it was done.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon May 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Recently saw A Quiet Place

As other have said, there was good suspense in it and all four of the main actors did a good job

That being said .....

Spoiler:
the premise is absolute non sense...if humans were being wiped out by creatures with incredible hearing, I would hope someone would think of using sonic weapons against them....I know we are a stupid species...but I have a hard time believing we are THAT stupid
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Tue May 08, 2018 8:02 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Recently saw A Quiet Place

As other have said, there was good suspense in it and all four of the main actors did a good job

That being said .....

Spoiler:
the premise is absolute non sense...if humans were being wiped out by creatures with incredible hearing, I would hope someone would think of using sonic weapons against them....I know we are a stupid species...but I have a hard time believing we are THAT stupid

This isn't particularly against you, Zarni, and this might just be me but I'm getting tired of people complaining about movies so much. I've read so many things about how A Quiet Place is stupid or how Infinity Wars could have been better. Like damn...I consider both of these to be 9/10 if not 10/10, can't we just enjoy them? I've never been sitting in a theater trying to breathe quietly as to not make a noise before. If a movie can make me do that, I think it's a good one.

Spoiler:
Your complaint may have merit but I don't think we know enough of the backstory to say. How quickly were people killed and separated? It seems like there is no communication at this point, so if someone figured that out, they couldn't relay that information. At what point in the movie did you think of the sonic weapons idea? Before or after they introduced it? Etc.
Deuce

Postby real bucs fan » Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 am

Ultimately A Quiet Place was a good movie to be sure, I just think from a pure story perspective, it was lacking.
real bucs fan

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 am

real bucs fan wrote:Ultimately A Quiet Place was a good movie to be sure, I just think from a pure story perspective, it was lacking.

That's how I feel...it was worth the $9 and the suspense was good. The acting was good. But there was a MAJOR flaw in the creature. One that is too far for me to willingly suspend disbelief (as Coleridge would say).

I compare it to that M Night film with Mel Gibson and J Phoenix where the aliens had a weakness to water. In that case, even though it's highly unlikely that no one would have figured this out before these two farmers, I can let it slide...because in no way did it have anything to do with the "strength" of the aliens. But in A Quiet Place....

Spoiler:
because the monster's greatest strength had to do with incredibly sensitive hearing, I would think that it would be one of the very first thing people tried to exploit...basic strategy of war. Now if the monster had some other unrelated weakness, like to salt or something, I can see people not figuring it out

Overall I don't feel like I wasted money...I got some enjoyment...I just don't think it was particularly great. B- type thing
Zarniwoop

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue May 08, 2018 11:14 am

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Emily Blunt was awful in Sicario IMO. Her character and her. She ruined the movie for me.

Really? I've always been a huge fan of hers, one of the best actresses going right now. Saw Sicario in theatres so it's not fresh enough in my mind to comment, but I don't recall her being bad or anything. Great flick, excited for the sequel.

Honestly, she could have been playing paddle ball in all of her scenes, and that movie would have still been awesome once
Spoiler:
Benicio killed the family. That scene was incredibly powerful.

I am excited for the sequel because of Benicio's character, and because I haven't seen anything by Taylor Sheridan that I didn't really enjoy; but I don't know how he lives up to that.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am

Last movies I've watched:

You Were Never Really Here - I was very very excited for this movie... so I probably set myself up for a little bit of a let down. It was really well done, and Phoenix was great; but there were some missed opportunities. Overall, is say if you were interested in seeing it, then you still should.
Spoiler:
Not sure if it's really a spoiler, but my immediate response when it ended was "It's like a prequel to The Professional (Leon)."

Avengers: Infinity War - Super fun flick... basically what everyone else has been saying. You could tell the hand Gunn and Pratt had in the Guardians' scenes; there was a notable uptick in the jokes hitting.

Moon - Put this on randomly for the umpteenth time. This is an all-time favorite of mine, and I can't recommend it enough.
Deja Entendu

Postby IronDog » Tue May 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Finally got around to Ragnorok. Still haven't seen the Wakanda story yet.
IronDog

Postby Caradoc » Fri May 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Atomic Blonde.

I want those two hours of my life back. I kept watching, waiting for something good, whether acting, plot, action, effects. None of that happened. It was like the Star Wars prequels - all those talented actors, yet the acting was wooden, the plot pointless and the action scenes sucked.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Sat May 12, 2018 6:17 am

Caradoc wrote:Atomic Blonde.

I want those two hours of my life back. I kept watching, waiting for something good, whether acting, plot, action, effects. None of that happened. It was like the Star Wars prequels - all those talented actors, yet the acting was wooden, the plot pointless and the action scenes sucked.

Agreed. On paper it should have been awesome. It was a chore to sit through.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:33 am

Tried to watch Lincoln. Fell asleep less than 30 minutes in.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:45 am

Buc2 wrote:Tried to watch Lincoln. Fell asleep less than 30 minutes in.

He dies in the end.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Rocker » Sat May 12, 2018 9:51 am

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

He dies in the end.

SPOILER TAG!!!
Rocker

Postby Buc2 » Sat May 12, 2018 10:40 am

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

He dies in the end.

Dammit!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Sat May 12, 2018 10:08 pm

On the way over

Spiderman Homecoming-meh
Thor Rasdansrk .. it was okay . I did fsll asleep but it was like 3Am for me then
Justice league - still good
Downsizing - Zzzzz....
Jumangi - pretty good. I liked how they did the characters. Very creative
Crocaneers

Postby Caradoc » Sun May 13, 2018 12:27 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

He dies in the end.

I thought he turned into a vampire
Caradoc

Postby Noles1724 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 am

Crocaneers wrote:Downsizing - Zzzzz....

really? I thought it looked interesting and was looking forward to getting around to it.
Noles1724

Postby Super K » Thu May 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Youngest daughter made me watch "The Kissing Booth" on Netflix with her...

I've seen worse millennial teenie bopper flicks...just sayin
Super K

Postby Rocker » Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Watched Tom Cruise’s The Mummy. It was surprisingly not awful.
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:Downsizing - Zzzzz....

really? I thought it looked interesting and was looking forward to getting around to it.

It will be interesting to see . I think you will see a transition in the film around 1/2 way to the end.
Crocaneers

Postby Super K » Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Rocker wrote:Watched Tom Cruise’s The Mummy. It was surprisingly not awful.

Really?..I'll have to give it a look...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Just watched Iron Man. Still fun.

About to watch Dunkirk. I have high hopes for this one.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Also been meaning to watch Dunkirk. Will try too early next week.
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 pm

It looks like a movie that would be a chore to get through. I have it, but can't bring myself to watch it.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:It looks like a movie that would be a chore to get through. I have it, but can't bring myself to watch it.

It was pretty tough. It didn't glorify the battle or have much dialogue or even gore that's typical of war movies. It didn't hide behind a spectacle of carnage.

You as the viewer are simply witness to events.
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic