Last Movie You Watched?

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Last Movie You Watched?

Postby Citizen Erased » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Might as well get it started up again! So, what movies have you all been watching lately?

For myself, it was this instant classic

Absolutely loved this movie and thought it was incredible. Acting is top-notch, great story to it and it all just works.
Citizen Erased

Re: Last Movie You Watched?

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:23 pm

The Drop - Good story with a good ending but the plot is very slow at times. It's worth watching just for the good performance by James Gandolfini and a great performance by Tom Hardy.

"And so castles made of sand, melts into the sea eventually."
EastBayBucsFan

Postby The Bad Guy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Watching one of the best mob movies ever: Goodfellas. Not quite as good on cable, but what're you going to do?
The Bad Guy

Postby Citizen Erased » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:46 pm

EastBayBucsFan wrote:The Drop - Good story with a good ending but the plot is very slow at times. It's worth watching just for the good performance by James Gandolfini and a great performance by Tom Hardy.

I've been wanting to see it for awhile now. Its on my list of movies to watch that I missed in 2014
Citizen Erased

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:34 am

"Disclosure," the mid-nineties sexual harrassment techno-thriller starring Michael Douglas and Demi Moore. The definition of a forgettable movie, but worthwhile for the goofy internet/tech sequences of the era.
MJW

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:32 am

MJW wrote:"Disclosure," the mid-nineties sexual harrassment techno-thriller starring Michael Douglas and Demi Moore. The definition of a forgettable movie, but worthwhile for the goofy internet/tech sequences of the era.

I like it only for that reason. Between this and Office Space, no one will ever remember how this IT was.

Oh .... Office Space .. we start every project with watching this movie .. if you are over 40 and anywhere near a technology professional it's a requirement
Crocaneers

Postby Mother Ayahuasca » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:28 pm

American Sniper - solid flick...Cooper is outstanding...very believable

Foxcatcher - great performances from Carell, Ruffalo and Tatum (surprisingly) but the overall movie is just strange....makes you feel very uncomfortable, but I suppose that's the point because this Dupont guy was just FUBAR in the head. The type of movie you watch once and be done with it.

Nightcrawler - Awesome! Great movie that isn't your typical Hollywood Bullshit
Mother Ayahuasca

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Django Unchained: Highly disappointing. The tone was all over the place, and story poorly structured.
IchabodCrane84

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:42 pm

What was the movie that someone said on the previous board was like Pans Labyrinth? I don't think it was in the movie thread they said it but it might have been.
PanteraCanes

Postby Wenchy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:44 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:Django Unchained: Highly disappointing. The tone was all over the place, and story poorly structured.

I'm guessing you're not a Tarantino fan.
Wenchy

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Wenchy wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:Django Unchained: Highly disappointing. The tone was all over the place, and story poorly structured.

I'm guessing you're not a Tarantino fan.

I am, not a super fan by any means, but I've always enjoyed his stuff. This one just didn't work for me.
IchabodCrane84

Postby lachisbackisback » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Citizen Erased wrote:Might as well get it started up again! So, what movies have you all been watching lately?

Absolutely loved this movie and thought it was incredible. Acting is top-notch, great story to it and it all just works.

Correct. That is a top three movie of all time. Unfortunately, not all of Anderson's work lives up to that high standard. The Master was relatively unwatchable, for instance, despite good performances. He's not afraid to make weird **** consistently, though, so he gets points for that.
lachisbackisback

Postby Citizen Erased » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 pm

lachisbackisback wrote:
Citizen Erased wrote:Might as well get it started up again! So, what movies have you all been watching lately?

Correct. That is a top three movie of all time. Unfortunately, not all of Anderson's work lives up to that high standard. The Master was relatively unwatchable, for instance, despite good performances. He's not afraid to make weird **** consistently, though, so he gets points for that.

Funny enough I actually watched the Master directly after TWBB because I wanted to see another PTA movie, but it just didn't work for me. Joaquin was really good, as was PSH, but the story itself was just so...bleh. Still want to see Inherent Vice though.
Citizen Erased

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:31 am

John Wick.

One of the best non-franchise action movies I've seen in some time. Very much a 90s style bullet-hell kind of deal, which I prefer to the glut of superhero movies. Impressive stunts and fight sequences but at no point does it feel overly goofy or comic booky. If that sounds appealing, and if you like (or can just tolerate) Keanu, watch it.
MJW

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:08 pm

The Imitation Game - WOW what a fantastic movie. Alan Turing was one of the most important men of the 20th century and most people don't even know who he is. I thought the historical aspect of breaking the enigma code would make this a good movie. But the personal story of how they basically had to decide who lived and who died so the Germans would not know the code was broken, coupled with Alan's personal struggles really made this a great movie.

EastBayBucsFan

Postby NoAlibi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Frozen
NoAlibi

Postby Hit55 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:01 am

American Sniper was a fantastic film. Already mentioned, but Cooper really nailed the emotions in stressful situations. I would definitely recommend checking it out.
Hit55

Postby MJW » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:26 am

Foxcatcher.

Well done, very well acted. It's the first time Channing Tatum could be mistaken for an actual actor. Ruffalo was very good. Steve Carrell disappears into his role. You forget you're watching one of today's great comic actor. Carrell and Ruffalo were both nominated, and while I doubt either wins, but they both deserve the nominations.

That said...uncomfortable film. Very difficult to watch at points, but that's the point. If you're up for an intentionally unsettling but excellent movie experience, absolutely worth the time.
MJW

Postby Jonny » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:19 am

Watched The Judge last night. Good watch.
Jonny

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:30 am

Watched "Noah" a couple of nights ago. While the first half of the film is a bit of a mess, which is understandable since it's a difficult story to setup when you know Noah couldn't have built it by himself, the second half of the film, once the arc is built, is epic and flawless.
real bucs fan

Postby Tampabayfan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Horns.... A little on the weird side
Tampabayfan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Tampabayfan wrote:Horns.... A little on the weird side

The book was fantastic. One of the best I've read. I haven't seen the movie yet, but was hoping it'd do the book justice.
IchabodCrane84

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Just watched "Birdman". If you haven't already seen it, watch it. It's a ****ing classic.
real bucs fan

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:22 pm

As most people are saying American Sniper is a great movie. Bradley Cooper did a fantastic job. I already knew the ending but it was still very sobering. If you don't leave the theater with at least a lump in your throat there is something wrong with you.

EastBayBucsFan

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Paddington

I hate admitting this was really good. Flawless, funny, very family oriented, and good story. It's not usual that we see movies without knowing all about it. Our 13 yearold daughter wanted to see it. She loved it as well.
Crocaneers

Postby Jessie's Girl » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Watched 12 Years A Slave again...****ing brutal!
Jessie's Girl

Postby MJW » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:06 am

IchabodCrane84 wrote:
Tampabayfan wrote:Horns.... A little on the weird side

The book was fantastic. One of the best I've read. I haven't seen the movie yet, but was hoping it'd do the book justice.

The book was excellent. I suggest you don't see the movie because it's so poorly done it almost ruins your memories of the book. Everyone is miscast. You never buy for a second that Ig and Merrin are in love or are in doubt about who the killer is. Heather Graham has a role that was forgettably small in the book that's blown up to 20 minutes of screen time because he's a semi-star, while they ignore or rush through the heart of the story. Skip it.
MJW

Postby Jonny » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:43 am

Loved every second of this movie. The chemistry between the two (Newman and Redford) is so natural and terrific, its like they were real life friends before they signed for this movie and "The Sting". I read some time back that McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were planning to do a remake of this. I seriously hope a remake of this is never made, but if it is, it has to be those two and no one else.
Jonny

Postby MJW » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:42 am

Jonny wrote:Image

Loved every second of this movie. The chemistry between the two (Newman and Redford) is so natural and terrific, its like they were real life friends before they signed for this movie and "The Sting". I read some time back that McConaughey and Woody Harrelson were planning to do a remake of this. I seriously hope a remake of this is never made, but if it is, it has to be those two and no one else.

I agree, one of those near-perfect movies that should just be left alone.
MJW

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:59 am

MJW wrote:
IchabodCrane84 wrote:The book was fantastic. One of the best I've read. I haven't seen the movie yet, but was hoping it'd do the book justice.

The book was excellent. I suggest you don't see the movie because it's so poorly done it almost ruins your memories of the book. Everyone is miscast. You never buy for a second that Ig and Merrin are in love or are in doubt about who the killer is. Heather Graham has a role that was forgettably small in the book that's blown up to 20 minutes of screen time because he's a semi-star, while they ignore or rush through the heart of the story. Skip it.

This makes me sad, but thank you.
IchabodCrane84

Next

Return to Off Topic