Postby Buc2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Trailer...

Another...
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm good with it ...

Ron Howard is behind the camera, and its a story we need told. Much like Rogue, it fills gaps.
Crocaneers

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Crocaneers wrote:I'm good with it ...

Ron Howard is behind the camera, and its a story we need told. Much like Rogue, it fills gaps.

Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie overall IMO.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:48 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:I'm good with it ...

Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie overall IMO.

What?!?!?!?!
Super K

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 pm

yeah, who cares, I'm excited
beardmcdoug

Postby Heidguy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:01 am

Uh yea!! Can not wait!!
Heidguy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:yeah, who cares, I'm excited

Is it weird that I'm not?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Caradoc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Super K wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie overall IMO.

What?!?!?!?!

Similar to my thoughts. Rogue One was damn near unwatchable.
Caradoc

Postby RedLeader » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 pm

Rogue One is the second best. Hands down.

That said, it bothers me that this guys sounds NOTHING like Solo. The cadence is all wrong. It’s like the guy never saw a Star Wars movie... or a Harrison Ford movie for that matter.
RedLeader

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:yeah, who cares, I'm excited

Is it weird that I'm not?

No. I have no clue why I am
beardmcdoug

Postby MJW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 am

Ron Howard: "People are really interested to find out Han Solo's origin story!"

Narrator: "They weren't."
MJW

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 am

Anyone that claims a Star Wars movie is better than ESB is a fool, and should be ridiculed on sight.
Rocker

Postby Super K » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:11 am

Rocker wrote:Anyone that claims a Star Wars movie is better than ESB is a fool, and should be ridiculed on sight.

Dilly Fuckin Dilly
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:06 am

Rocker wrote:Anyone that claims a Star Wars movie is better than ESB is a fool, and should be ridiculed on sight.

The two are close, but due to the time frames released are barely comparable as movies. Rogue One has better CGI(minus Grand Moff Tarkin and Leia), writing, acting, and a better Vader. Rogue One gave me what I always hoped Vader would be as a bad ass at the end of the movie. Honestly in the first three movies, outside of some force chokes and stopping a blaster round with his hand, Vader is more of a presence than a real imposing bad guy.

I originally had that post stating, "Rogue One is 2nd behind ESB", but as I've re-watched all the movies with my family before our Star Wars Disney Cruise, I just think Rogue One is the most compelling story of all the movies. Ridicule all you want, I'm fine with it. I like Star Wars because I watched the series 1,000 times as a child, but overall the story and writing are not great throughout the series and that doesn't bother me. It's just fun escapism. I thought Rogue One was a better overall movie, than just popcorn fun flick.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 am

Come at me bro

Worse line in any movie

Leah: I love you
Sola: I know

:screaming:
Crocaneers

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 am

Get outta here, Croc. That line was incredible.

uscbucsfan wrote:. Honestly in the first three movies, outside of some force chokes and stopping a blaster round with his hand, Vader is more of a presence than a real imposing bad guy.

I get that, and that's what made him such an awesome bad guy. The theme music, the tension in the opening scene; all of the implied badassery... just awesome. Also, you smell like a French man, and your mom goes to college.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Crocaneers wrote:

Come at me bro

Worse line in any movie

That line was an ad lib.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:
Come at me bro

Worse line in any movie

That line was an ad lib.

Yep. I believe it was written for Harrison to say I love you back, but he decided to go with "I know", and Lucas kept it..

Classic line, though. Croc is crazy on this one.
RedLeader

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 am

Everything I hear about this movie is negative. It sounds like Disney execs are expecting it to fail and the word off the set is the dude playing Han can't act. I feel like this is a movie that didn't need to be made, a cash grab by Disney. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong though...
Miller4Prez64

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:Everything I hear about this movie is negative. It sounds like Disney execs are expecting it to fail and the word off the set is the dude playing Han can't act. I feel like this is a movie that didn't need to be made, a cash grab by Disney. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong though...

I'm not trolling, I'm asking an honest question for the hardcores: did anyone actually WANT a Han Solo origin story? It seems like a huge chunk of his cool is that he didn't need one. Does anyone watch the original trilogy (or TFA) and say, "Wow, I'm really curious what this guy was doing at twenty years old?"
MJW

Postby Teitan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:16 am

I’m totally fine with a Solo origin movie. They allude to all his crazy happenings throughout the series, it would be cool to see those things fleshed out. But it should be done correctly, especially since it’s a classic character, and probably should have cast a better actor. I don’t know anything about this guy but based on the trailer, he doesn’t fit the part.
Teitan

Postby MJW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 am

Teitan wrote:I’m totally fine with a Solo origin movie. They allude to all his crazy happenings throughout the series, it would be cool to see those things fleshed out. But it should be done correctly, especially since it’s a classic character, and probably should have cast a better actor. I don’t know anything about this guy but based on the trailer, he doesn’t fit the part.

It's sort of ironic that this guy's big break was playing an actor who couldn't act.

MJW

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Meh, people still rag on Daisy Ridley for her over acting- I partially agree. Mark Hamill was, let's be honest, not very good, in the original trilogy. Harrison Ford was laughily bad at times. Star Wars has had a history of plugging in no-name/subpar actors into major roles - I think it's partially part of the charm and formula of what makes the films work on a subconscious level
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 am

Something a little different. Not sure such a petition would implore Disney/Netflix to actually do something like this or not. Probably not.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 pm

MJW wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:Everything I hear about this movie is negative. It sounds like Disney execs are expecting it to fail and the word off the set is the dude playing Han can't act. I feel like this is a movie that didn't need to be made, a cash grab by Disney. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong though...

I'm not trolling, I'm asking an honest question for the hardcores: did anyone actually WANT a Han Solo origin story? It seems like a huge chunk of his cool is that he didn't need one. Does anyone watch the original trilogy (or TFA) and say, "Wow, I'm really curious what this guy was doing at twenty years old?"

No, he didn't. My reason being is, his whole shtick in the original trilogy was he was the selfish ***hole who learned to do the right thing. So this origin movie is just focused on a young selfish ***hole long before he grows into the character people loved? No thanks, there are a lot more Star Wars characters I would've loved to see expanded on long before Han Solo.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Buc2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Miller4Prez64 wrote:
MJW wrote:

No, he didn't. My reason being is, his whole shtick in the original trilogy was he was the selfish ***hole who learned to do the right thing. So this origin movie is just focused on a young selfish ***hole long before he grows into the character people loved? No thanks, there are a lot more Star Wars characters I would've loved to see expanded on long before Han Solo.

I think the focus will be on how he came to be who he was when we first found him in Episode IV. Where/how did he get his piloting skills? How did he meet and become friends with Chewbacca and Lando. What formed him into the man that was willing to give up profit for the right cause when the time came? Sci-fi. Better yet, space sci-fi. Yes, thanks. On top of all that, Han just died a couple episodes ago. People loved his character. As such, of course the showrunners are going to want to do a Han Solo feature. If it were my franchise, I damn sure would. While they have to please the fans, they also want to make money. Han Solo will make them money.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Buc2 wrote:I think the focus will be on how he came to be who he was when we first found him in Episode IV. Where/how did he get his piloting skills? How did he meet and become friends with Chewbacca and Lando. What formed him into the man that was willing to give up profit for the right cause when the time came? Sci-fi. Better yet, space sci-fi. Yes, thanks. On top of all that, Han just died a couple episodes ago. People loved his character. As such, of course the showrunners are going to want to do a Han Solo feature. If it were my franchise, I damn sure would. While they have to please the fans, they also want to make money. Han Solo will make them money.

All of this, a hundred times over. Specifically the origins of the Han/Chewie bromance/life-debt deal.

There's a few things we can gather about Han Solo the man that's already been hinted at, but never fleshed out. I am cautiously optimistic this story will answers the questions. For me, specifically, I want to know the story of the Corellian blood stripe.

Spoiler:
From the wikia:It was awarded most typically for courage demonstrated after deliberation; it was said that Corellians believed that anyone can be brave in the heat of the moment, but true heroism came when one knew that doing the right thing would hurt but did it anyway. Though they could be awarded for many reasons, the majority of the prestigious awards were awarded for courage under fire.

In everyday dress, the stripe was a bit of colored piping worn down the side of the trousers. There were two classes of Bloodstripes. The second class was represented by yellow piping; the first class was represented by red piping, and were almost always awarded posthumously. Though not formally recognized by the Empire, the Imperial Navy allowed its servicemen recipients to don the award on their uniforms.

Han Solo won both classes of bloodstripes. His second class stripes were rumored to have been earned for the events surrounding his rescue of Chewbacca; his first class stripes were earned during events that have never been disclosed, though apparently the circumstances through which he won them took place over several days. When Solo was cashiered from Imperial service, all the awards and decorations he'd earned were literally and systematically ripped off him. He expected to lose his bloodstripes as well, but was allowed to keep them, apparently because they were awarded by the Corellian military and not the Empire. Some sources say that a Corellian was entitled to kill—without repercussion—any other Corellian or non-Corellian caught wearing them that hadn't earned them.

Edit 2: I'm concerned that this may be a Millennium Falcon origin story with a dash of Han. I don't want that.
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:17 am

I knew we had a thread!!

More later
Crocaneers

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:49 am

I just can't get up for this movie. Even after hearing good reviews from a couple of friends and some people on here I think I will just wait until it comes out on demand.
Agent Orange

Postby RedLeader » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:50 pm

All i wanna know is.. was that actor able to pull off Han?
RedLeader

Next

Return to Off Topic