Vegan: The great debate.

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Vegan: The great debate.

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 am

real bucs fan wrote:

Go back and watch from about 6:30 to about 9:30 and he will start to demonstrate to you why your macro blend is important.

You're oversimplifying when you say that calories in/out is all that matters. If that were true, we could all just get by on coke zero and watch the fat melt away.

The type food you eat is more important than the quantity you eat. You can have 10 cups of broccoli or 1 cup of pasta. Same amount of calories, same amount of carbs.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:31 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Go back and watch from about 6:30 to about 9:30 and he will start to demonstrate to you why your macro blend is important.

You're oversimplifying when you say that calories in/out is all that matters. If that were true, we could all just get by on coke zero and watch the fat melt away.

The type food you eat is more important than the quantity you eat. You can have 10 cups of broccoli or 1 cup of pasta. Same amount of calories, same amount of carbs.

As Norton states, the calories out portion of energy balance is not straight forward. But it still ultimately breaks down to calories in/calories out. It's stated quite clearly that any diet out there works by creating a calorie deficit. Keto works by creating a calorie deficit because you are cutting out carbs, and thus it's harder to overeat when you've cut carbs from your diet.

Cutting carbs works because you are eating less. It's pretty stupid though- unless of course you don't want to have any energy like what happened with Deuce.

Bottom line: Protein, carbs, and fat all serve a purpose and all are part of a healthy balanced diet. If you are trying to lose weight, eat less calories and workout more. It really is that simple.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:42 am

Go to 2:20 of this video:
real bucs fan

Postby NYBF » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:55 am

No. Go to 2:20 of *THIS* video

NYBF

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 am

Just want to make a quick point in case anyone is reading this and going to reduce their calories to lose weight...

An extreme calorie cut is in fact dangerous, it is essentially anorexia. When cutting calories you should only cut them by about 10% or so, especially when increasing training (though everyone's different, this is just a rough outline). For example if you are eating 3300 calories a day currently, cut down to about 3000 a day. As well I would recommend using an app to keep track.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. A slight cut in calories over the long haul is much more effective than crash dieting.
real bucs fan

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 am

We’ve got a few people on this board that are a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I think even they are smart enough to avoid your health advice

Lol
Zarniwoop

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:48 am

Zarniwoop wrote:We’ve got a few people on this board that are a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I think even they are smart enough to avoid your health advice

Lol

2 questions:

What point do you disagree on in regards to what I just posted? And how much do you currently weigh?
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:56 am

Zarniwoop wrote:We’ve got a few people on this board that are a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I think even they are smart enough to avoid your health advice

Lol

Zarni & RBF, are you doing the BucZone mock or are you too pre-occupied discussion the finer points of veganism? :D
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Lol

Zarni & RBF, are you doing the BucZone mock or are you too pre-occupied discussion the finer points of veganism? :D

I already did the other one, but if you need another person I'll do it though.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:27 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

I already did the other one, but if you need another person I'll do it though.

We don't need any more, but are already over 16 and have room.

If you want in, make a post in the Part deux thread by 5pm (eastern) today. If not I'll assume it's a 'no thanks' from you this time around.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:35 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I already did the other one, but if you need another person I'll do it though.

We don't need any more, but are already over 16 and have room.

If you want in, make a post in the Part deux thread by 5pm (eastern) today. If not I'll assume it's a 'no thanks' from you this time around.

Are you doing 2 teams per poster or 1?
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:41 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Ah yes, youtube. A veritable library of reliable, accurate information.

Dr. Layne Norton has a a degree in Biochemistry and a PhD in Nutritional Sciences. There honestly isn't a better breakdown of how fat loss works than this video right here.

So, you found one guy on the internet who says what you want to hear. Checkmate, I guess :roll:
Caradoc

Postby Deuce » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:03 am

uscbucsfan wrote:To Duece, outside of a teenager or young person in their 20s, I can't fathom anyone who is 6'3" and 170 or lighter being all that healthy. I guess it's subjective, but muscle mass, health, density, and elasticity all plays into being healthy as well. I'm 6'2" and I'm around 200 pounds with 8% body fat (depending on the season) and I consider myself a bit too skinny. It's different for everyone and I mean no offense, but being around the same height 168 sounds borderline anorexic.

What are you talking about...to be underweight at this height, you need to weigh like under 150. I basically look like an average fit dude, just stretched out a little (taller and thinner). I think I'm around 15% body fat. I have some shoulder/chest definition and you can tell that I have abs but can't quite see them.

Also, 8% body fat is really, really low. Example: Image

If you're really that low, kudos to you. But as a stranger who's never spoken to you before, I have to question how you came to that number.

Selmon Rules wrote:When I was in my 20's, I worked at a place where I didn't really get time for a lunch break and I went from 6'4" and around 190 (looked healthy) down to 165.... My mother thought I had caught AIDS or something when I was in the Army. Looked that bad.

Can't imagine 6'3" is any better....

Now I'm up to around 240 (middle age spread) and would like to get back down to around 230

In high school, I was 240 lbs. (fat). I've spent time at 210 (chubby) and 190 (what most people would call "normal"). When I got down to 190, family members and such started worrying, saying I was getting too skinny, and asking if I was eating enough. It's like overweight people are afraid of weight loss or something. After two years at this weight, no one thinks I look too skinnyg. As stated above, I look like an average fit dude. Back in high school, I couldn't imagine myself under 200. Now I can't imagine myself over 200. Also, I guess I'll throw in an obligatory everyone carries weight differently. My brother is 6'1, 145 and while skinny, no one thinks he's anorexic.
Deuce

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:26 am

The word "healthy" doesn't even mean what it's supposed to mean anymore. Deuce says he's 6'3" 170lbs... plays basketball regularly... he's probably one of the healthiest posters on this board just based off of that information. Sure he might be lean, but lean is very much healthy if you're active and eating good.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:The word "healthy" doesn't even mean what it's supposed to mean anymore. Deuce says he's 6'3" 170lbs... plays basketball regularly... he's probably one of the healthiest posters on this board just based off of that information. Sure he might be lean, but lean is still healthy if you're active and eating good.

It's semantics. Healthy to me incorporates muscle health as well. As I said, I'm 6'2 and at 165, people thought I was anorexic. At 6'3, I wouldn't consider someone who was 168 with 15% body fat at peak physical health.

When I was active duty, I did personal training on the side, but now I just lift for myself. I don't do any sort of body building competitions anymore. I still get above 98 (100 last year) on my AF PT test every year so I woyld say I'm in great health for someone in their mid 30s.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The word "healthy" doesn't even mean what it's supposed to mean anymore. Deuce says he's 6'3" 170lbs... plays basketball regularly... he's probably one of the healthiest posters on this board just based off of that information. Sure he might be lean, but lean is still healthy if you're active and eating good.

It's semantics. Healthy to me incorporates muscle health as well. As I said, I'm 6'2 and at 165, people thought I was anorexic. At 6'3, I wouldn't consider someone who was 168 with 15% body fat at peak physical health.

When I was active duty, I did personal training on the side, but now I just lift for myself. I don't do any sort of body building competitions anymore. I still get above 98 (100 last year) on my AF PT test every year so I woyld say I'm in great health for someone in their mid 30s.

Ya I"m not saying you're unhealthy by those measurements, our builds aren't that dissimilar.

But I have friends who play basketball, and guys who play basketball regularly and don't lift, are different body types. 6'3" 170lbs is pretty common, and these guys are incredibly fit.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:03 am

uscbucsfan wrote:

It's a small difference but the 168 was for a short period of time. And 6'3, 175 with 15% body fat is basically the peak of health for a normal person. Body fat percentages below that are for high-level athletes or gym rats. I've been eating more and working out 3x a week in an effort to gain more muscle, we'll see how it goes. It sounds like you carry more muscle than I do, which is why you probably looked different at the lower weight. Also, more weight is very rarely worth it when it comes to actual health. As one bodybuilder put it "your heart doesn't know if you're 250 lbs of muscle or fat". It's harder on your heart and joints to carry around more weight either way.

It's all about your goals. I know the men in my family rarely live past their 60's and I'm trying to break that. And I want to have the endurance/strength to keep up in pickup sports. I don't have huge guns or anything but you can only ask for so much.
Deuce

Postby The Outsider » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Some people are built leaner and others stockier. I'm 5'8 and when I was in good shape (I'm not so much now) I ran 4 miles a 5 days a week and was playing soccer like 3-4 times a week. I weighed 175. I wasn't fat in the slightest, but unless I go absolutely nuts on controlling my diet I'll never be what people consider lean.
The Outsider

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:22 am

Don’t know if this belongs here, but Veganism and YouTube has been a topic.

It appears that the shooter at the YouTube headquarters had a grudge against the site for reasons unclear, but her internet profile is littered with pro-vegan and animal rights video clips.

If nothing more, it’s proof that violence doesn’t have a stereotype.
Ken Carson

Postby The Outsider » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:01 am

Ken Carson wrote:Don’t know if this belongs here, but Veganism and YouTube has been a topic.

It appears that the shooter at the YouTube headquarters had a grudge against the site for reasons unclear, but her internet profile is littered with pro-vegan and animal rights video clips.

Has rbf posted today?
The Outsider

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:10 am

Ken Carson wrote:Don’t know if this belongs here, but Veganism and YouTube has been a topic.

Her attack had nothing to do with veganism. She attacked youtube because of financial issues regarding her channel.
real bucs fan

Postby NYBF » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:13 am

real bucs fan wrote:

Her attack had nothing to do with veganism. She attacked youtube because of financial issues regarding her channel.

Her channel about veganism.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:16 am

Are Vegan Muslim YouTube terrorists in your city? More at 5.
The Outsider

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:23 am

NYBF wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Her attack had nothing to do with veganism. She attacked youtube because of financial issues regarding her channel.

Specifically, her channel got flagged for racy content in her workout videos. Nothing to do with how she ate or anything.
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:55 am

real bucs fan wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Specifically, her channel got flagged for racy content in her workout videos. Nothing to do with how she ate or anything.

You seem to know an awful lot about her.
Ken Carson

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:59 am

Ken Carson wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Specifically, her channel got flagged for racy content in her workout videos. Nothing to do with how she ate or anything.

You seem to know an awful lot about her.

I've followed the story lol what is your point here?
real bucs fan

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm

She's going to need to do some serious burpees to balance the "calories out" with the 7.5 grams of iron she took in.
bucfanclw

Postby NYBF » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:04 pm

NYBF

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Ya you're right, this has nothing to do with a mentally ill person with access to a gun and a grudge against youtube, this is about an angry vegan terrorist extremist killing meat eaters... :lol:
real bucs fan

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

That’s like saying the anti-abortion people who bomb clinics are just crazy people with access to explosives that hate strip malls.

Fact is, she called YouTube anti-vegan.
Ken Carson

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic