The Pursuit of Happiness (philosophical discussion)

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
The Pursuit of Happiness (philosophical discussion)

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:37 pm

No. I'm not drunk.

Was parusing the "what are you reading" thread and Dread Naught cited a book he was into that talked about Happiness not being a goal. Got me thinking about existental things and I don't recall a philosophy thread save for lil' BJ's poetry.

From an emotional standpoint, I regard contentment as my favorite emotion. The notion that all is as it should be and nothing requires tended to for that moment in time leaving only leasure.

This may be where I put happiness, but I think it's noteworthy that during this time, I'm not improving myself, doing maintenance on the home, or even actively raising my kids. I happen to be okay with reveling in the lack of **** to do, but not everyone feels that way and finds these moments boring or unproductive.

So the question to kick this off is "How do you define happiness for yourself?" Tangibly, emotionally, etc. Is your pursuit of it productive, counterproductive, or even detrimental to family, career, relationships?
Mountaineer Buc

Re: The Pursuit of Happiness (philosophical discussion)

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm not high either.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Wealth and health for myself and my family.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Wealth and health for myself and my family.

You find happiness in wealth?

Knowing that you are comparatively wealthy makes you happy?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Wealth and health for myself and my family.

You find happiness in wealth?

Of course. It means I work less, worry less, spend more time with family, can provide a better lifestyle for my family and that includes better meidcal care if needed.

I'm a bit shocked you are shocked, lol.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:20 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:You find happiness in wealth?

Of course. It means I work less, worry less, spend more time with family, can provide a better lifestyle for my family and that includes better meidcal care if needed.

So in a "Freedom from want" sense, not in a material "look at all my money" sense.

That I can understand. I thought for a second you were about to defend materialism.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Of course. It means I work less, worry less, spend more time with family, can provide a better lifestyle for my family and that includes better meidcal care if needed.

So in a "Freedom from want" sense, not in a material "look at all my money" sense.

That I can understand. I thought for a second you were about to defend materialism.

I have a lot of nice stuff that I've worked hard for and I enjoy. That stuff makes me happy, makes happy memories, brings happiness to my family, but doesn't define mine or my family's happiness.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm a believer in progress being the root of happiness. Doesn't have to be professional progress, can be as simple as learning a new song on the guitar... but moving forward. That's my mindset at least, just constantly trying to better myself... and finding satisfaction in my progress.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:13 pm

I don't live my life in pursuit of an emotional state, because emotional states are constantly shifting and prone to change. If anyone lived their life in pursuit of jealousy or surprise, you'd think they were insane.

I spend my time doing what I feel is worthwhile and with the people who matter to me. That's enough.
Cheb

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 pm

If everyone near me is healthy, the rest is just stuff . . Money isn't going to do it, neither will success...

I'm beyond blessed to have both of my parents, wonderful wife, daughter ready to take on the world, and a son who's already turning in it.

I'm grounded in knowing there's a future beyond this, and enjoying every step along the way.

And no, I'm not drunk or high either
Crocaneers

Postby Rocker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 am

I busy my balls day in and day out to be a provider for mine. I like what I do, but I find no happiness in it.

I love my wife and children, and everything that I work for on a daily basis is aimed at giving them the best life experience I can possibly provide.

But - truth be told - I’m happiest when I’m alone. I find a profound peace in solitude. It is what it is. I don’t think hat makes me a bad husband, or a bad father; and it certainly doesn’t taint the memories I’ve created with them.
Rocker

Postby MJW » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:So the question to kick this off is "How do you define happiness for yourself?" Tangibly, emotionally, etc. Is your pursuit of it productive, counterproductive, or even detrimental to family, career, relationships?

The absence of stress. I pursue simplicity, in the sense that I don't want to spend my life being stressed and preoccupied. I do a job beneath my abilities that offers almost no stress, for that reason. We live in a smaller home than we could probably afford so we don't have to worry quite as much about money. I make as few social commitments as possible, because they tend to stress me out. I avoid the internet and the news when I'm off work, because they usually stress me out (AT work, I have to have something to keep me sane.)

Happiness for me is having no reason NOT to feel chill. I don't care about nice things, new cars, cool vacations, etc. Chasing those things brings more stress and noise than they're worth for me.
MJW

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 am

a long, slow, warm fart and the look your dog gives you after
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 am

**** if I know. Happiness today doesn't mean I'll be happy tomorrow or that I was happy yesterday. Happiness is mostly in a state of flux. Always moving. Sometimes it goes back to something it previously was. Sometimes it moves on to something else.

For example: When both my kids were finally on their own and not living in my house, I was happy after an initial period of adjustment. Then a few years later, when one of my daughters & granddaughter needed to come back home and live with me due to the economy crash, I was, at first, unhappy to have lost my freedom, but found I was happy they were with me after, again, a period of adjustment. Then, when they moved out again, just this past summer, after being with me for the past few years, I found myself in an unhappy state. I haven't totally shaken that state just yet. Not sure if I will, but I might. Who knows?

So **** changes. Circumstances change. Happiness can go full circle. What was once a happy time may not be such a happy time when circumstances are repeated.

Right now, I don't necessarily feel unhappy at home alone...doing what I want to do, when I want to do it. I mean, I'm happy about some aspects of my life at the moment, but not so much about other aspects. Regardless, I feel happier when I'm spending time with one or both of my daughters & granddaughter than when I'm not. Perhaps part of that comes with aging. What made me happy when I was 40 or 50 doesn't necessarily make me happy now that I'm 60.

So, I guess, at this moment, happiness for me is sharing in my daughters lives.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Super K » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:15 am

Along the same lines as Croc and Cheb spoke of, happiness, imo, is a state of mind...fleeting... momentary...

You can be happy as hell, then stub your toe, car breaks down, family member gets sick...not happy anymore..

A life filled with joy, however, is a different story..because it is all encompassing..happy moments, sad moments, exciting moments, dull ones etc..you get the gist..

But in order to obtain true joy, one has to acknowledge that there is something greater and more waiting for us.. (let's not argue this point here please)..

And I guess if you break it down as to what drives me on a daily basis, it's affirmations of love for and by those that I love...and understand, those can be positive (fun/sweet) and negative (tough love), large and small, life changing and seemingly insignificant (these are some of the best ones)...
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

Happiness is tied to fulfillment is moreso the point vice Happiness is not the goal. The books outlines how specific principles can help directly lead to a more fulfilled life.

Fulfillment is different for everyone based on where you are in life and what path you'd like to follow in the future. For me, I'm in my late 30's, married w/ a daughter with plans for 2nd child within the next year. So I'm fulfilled via meeting my personal and professional goals. My priorities in life are the health and happiness of those closest to me, but most importantly that MUST start with myself (which the book helps articulate). I don't mind a certain level of stress, I actually think it's healthy and when I'm at my best. If I'm not stressed I'm not progressing and will often fall into a rut in life, which is obviously not fulfilling.

Money is important to me, but it doesn't define me, rather it's because money provides a means to provide things that make me feel fulfilled like providing a good quality of life for my family, my child's education, nice things for my wife (happy wife=happy life), etc. I also would prefer not to work til I'm 70-75yrs old, so making money is essential to our savings goals for retirement at 58.

I try to be sensitive to complacency and setting goals with a plan to accomplish them is the best weapon I have to avoid falling into that trap.

My pursuit of fulfillment is tied my family and career since I've mapped them accordingly. I don't have the available 'free time' I'd like to spend time with friends and extended family so I guess it's counter-productive to those relationships. But time is a finite resource (and arguably the most valuable), so my priorities in life right now simply make certain things more important than others.
DreadNaught

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:14 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:No. I'm not drunk.

Was parusing the "what are you reading" thread and Dread Naught cited a book he was into that talked about Happiness not being a goal. Got me thinking about existental things and I don't recall a philosophy thread save for lil' BJ's poetry.

From an emotional standpoint, I regard contentment as my favorite emotion. The notion that all is as it should be and nothing requires tended to for that moment in time leaving only leasure.

This may be where I put happiness, but I think it's noteworthy that during this time, I'm not improving myself, doing maintenance on the home, or even actively raising my kids. I happen to be okay with reveling in the lack of **** to do, but not everyone feels that way and finds these moments boring or unproductive.

So the question to kick this off is "How do you define happiness for yourself?" Tangibly, emotionally, etc. Is your pursuit of it productive, counterproductive, or even detrimental to family, career, relationships?

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, by Mark Manson.

I read it in two days. Greay book; hilarious, informational, and somewhat of a life-changer.

Check it out.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:No. I'm not drunk.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck, by Mark Manson.

I read it in two days. Greay book; hilarious, informational, and somewhat of a life-changer.

Check it out.

Eh, ive read some reviews of that one that make me not want to read it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:11 am

I always tell kids in class,that there are a million ways in the world to be rich, money is only one of them. Yes, they look at me like my hair is on fire but they will understand what I said later....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby The Outsider » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:32 pm

I am high. I'm also pretty much a nihilist. So yeah, none of this matters.
The Outsider

Return to Off Topic