2018 Oscars Thread Conversations

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
2018 Oscars Thread Conversations

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Great movies out for the list this year ... I know we have a movie thread, but wanted to isolate reviews as well as thoughts on the list.

I will through in the Best Actor and Actress as well

BEST PICTURE
"Call Me by Your Name"
"Darkest Hour"
"Dunkirk"
"Get Out"
"Lady Bird"
"Phantom Thread"
"The Post"
"The Shape of Water"
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Sally Hawkins, "The Shape of Water"
Frances McDormand, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
Margot Robbie, "I, Tonya"
Saoirse Ronan, "Lady Bird"
Meryl Streep, "The Post"

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Timothée Chalamet, "Call Me By Your Name"
Daniel Day-Lewis, "Phantom Thread"
Daniel Kaluuya, "Get Out"
Gary Oldman, "Darkest Hour"
Denzel Washington, "Roman J. Israel, Esq."
Crocaneers

Re: 2018 Oscars Thread Conversations

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 am

Not sure if there are any anime fans here, but the fact "Boss Baby" got nominated for an Animated Oscar and "Your Name" didn't...it kinda shows you how seriously you should take these things.
MJW

Postby sanka » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:29 am

Jordan Peele should win the best director for "Get Out" ....from comedy to making a psychotic horror film.
“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”
― Malcolm X
sanka

Postby Super K » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 am

sanka wrote:Jordan Peele should win the best director for "Get Out" ....from comedy to making a psychotic horror film.

If the movie didn't have that spin AND the racism angle going for it, not only would it not be mentioned here, but it wouldn't even be thought of..

It was an entertaining B- type thriller....nothing more, nothing less...
Super K

Postby MJW » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 am

Super K wrote:
sanka wrote:Jordan Peele should win the best director for "Get Out" ....from comedy to making a psychotic horror film.

If the movie didn't have that spin AND the racism angle going for it, not only would it not be mentioned here, but it wouldn't even be thought of..

This. It was a B movie which resonated with the "woke" crowd, which includes folks who write movie reviews. I saw 10 better horror movies last year, minimum.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 am

People watch horror movies?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:50 am

I've only seen one of the films nominated. Dunkirk. Excellent. Will watch again.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:21 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:People watch horror movies?

IT

700.2 million USD

Phantom Phenom

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Buc2 wrote:I've only seen one of the films nominated. Dunkirk. Excellent. Will watch again.

What's the gore factor on that? My daughter wants to see it, and I know it's rated R. Is it Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge? Those were pretty graphic (real none the less)
Crocaneers

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I've only seen one of the films nominated. Dunkirk. Excellent. Will watch again.

What's the gore factor on that? My daughter wants to see it, and I know it's rated R. Is it Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge? Those were pretty graphic (real none the less)

Dunkirk was not even close to being as gory as either of those two flicks. It's actually rated PG-13 (for intense war experience and some language).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/parentalguide
Beware, there may be some mild spoilers in the guide.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Crocaneers wrote:

yeah, from what I remember, almost zero? Just really tense moments. I love Nolan/Zimmer but I was relatively disappointed in Dunkirk... absolutely LOVED Hacksaw Ridge on the otherhand. Not really into gore either... just was looking for a little bit "more" from Dunkirk. Worth the watch for the thoughts it conjured about country and service and humanity, though IMO
beardmcdoug

Postby terrytate » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

yeah, from what I remember, almost zero? Just really tense moments. I love Nolan/Zimmer but I was relatively disappointed in Dunkirk... absolutely LOVED Hacksaw Ridge on the otherhand. Not really into gore either... just was looking for a little bit "more" from Dunkirk. Worth the watch for the thoughts it conjured about country and service and humanity, though IMO

I agree. Dunkirk was worth a watch but I wasn't blown away like I expect. As to the gore, some people do get shot but most of the violence was committed against ships. Remember, the movie is about a bunch of Brits trying to get away from a fight.
terrytate

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks for the update, I may have my was movies mixed up . She's wanting to read and study some on WW2, and we are going to watch the Finest Hour as well
Crocaneers

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:39 pm

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:

This. It was a B movie which resonated with the "woke" crowd, which includes folks who write movie reviews. I saw 10 better horror movies last year, minimum.

I disagree. I didn't care one iota about the social commentary of it all, but I did appreciate how it was worked into the story and I found the film to be extremely well done and captivating in the "What the ****?" way that I want from thrillers (not sure I personally classify it as a "horror"). I certainly didn't expect it to be so good based on what little I've seen from Key and Peele.

I am wondering what 10 (+) horror films you saw last year that were better... not just in a dickish "Name them bc I don't believe you" way. I really am curious so I can check some out.
Last edited by Deja Entendu on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Entendu

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:10 pm

I just came home from Three Billboards. Was quite good. Mcdormand is the best actress in the game though, sorry Meryl.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:

I disagree. I didn't care one iota about the social commentary of it all, but I did appreciate how it was worked into the story and I found the film to be extremely well done and captivating in the "What the ****?" way that I want from thrillers (not sure I personally classify it as a "horror"). I certainly didn't expect it to be so good based on what little I've seen from Key and Peele.

I am wondering what 10 (+) horror films you saw last year that were better... not just in a dickish "Name them bc I don't believe you" way. I really am curious so I can check some out.

Sure thing.

"The Blackcoat's Daughter" was really good. It's a quiet movie but it sticks with you.

"Keep Watching" was good, and had some solid social commentary too. By the same token, "The Belko Experiment" was a lot of fun and had some really biting stuff to say about corporate culture.

I dug, "A Cure For Wellness" but it's probably not for everybody. If you like Dario Argento, that's what it felt like. I can easily see somebody hating it, too.

If you liked the original "Creep," Creep 2 was great. If you haven't seen Creep, you should. If you dug Get Out for the suspense, this'll work for you. A very quiet slow burn with a great deal of mounting dread. Watch them both.

Gerald's Game was excellent, though it maybe wasn't *quite* a horror movie.

Happy Death Day was my favorite horror comedy of this year. It was a lot of fun.

"It Comes At Night" should win Best Picture if there were Horror Oscars.

My favorite horror movie of the year was "The Void," which is very much in the "Hellraiser" vein of horror. Lots of body horror, lots of gore, lots of stuff that's just visually upsetting.

As always, JMHO.
MJW

Postby Rocker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:23 am

Maybe the wrong thread, but as far as psychological thriller/horror goes; Event Horizon is one of my all time favorites.
Rocker

Postby sanka » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:

Yep. I don't think it's a horror but more of a psychological mystery movie...I am just shocked it was directed by this dude I know from madtv....
“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”
― Malcolm X
sanka

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 am

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:

It's more of a (psychological) thriller than a horror film. Lots of twists that you don't see coming and you'd NEVER guess the story underneath. I thought it was ok. Not great

This film remind me of The Stepford Wives. Weird movie
Phantom Phenom

Postby Super K » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:

Really? Because as thrillers/horror goes I found it to be pretty cliche and that it used "cool twists" already provided by previous films/ideas...

Someone already mentioned Stepford Wives, the whole switching bodies thing was done, albeit a bit different but better, in Skeleton Key (Kate Hudson flick), the blind guy building a relationship with our hero/victim before bidding on him was taken directly from Hostel..

I guess if you don't watch alot of movies in this/these genre(s) it might seem trippy..

And, again, I'm not saying it was BAD...solid B flck that we've watched a couple times now when it's been on HBO when flipping through, but in the end it's not really any better than the new Netflix original "Open House", and I guarantee that thing ain't up for an Oscar...
Super K

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 am

MJW wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

Sure thing.

"The Blackcoat's Daughter" was really good. It's a quiet movie but it sticks with you.

"Keep Watching" was good, and had some solid social commentary too. By the same token, "The Belko Experiment" was a lot of fun and had some really biting stuff to say about corporate culture.

I dug, "A Cure For Wellness" but it's probably not for everybody. If you like Dario Argento, that's what it felt like. I can easily see somebody hating it, too.

If you liked the original "Creep," Creep 2 was great. If you haven't seen Creep, you should. If you dug Get Out for the suspense, this'll work for you. A very quiet slow burn with a great deal of mounting dread. Watch them both.

Gerald's Game was excellent, though it maybe wasn't *quite* a horror movie.

Happy Death Day was my favorite horror comedy of this year. It was a lot of fun.

"It Comes At Night" should win Best Picture if there were Horror Oscars.

My favorite horror movie of the year was "The Void," which is very much in the "Hellraiser" vein of horror. Lots of body horror, lots of gore, lots of stuff that's just visually upsetting.

As always, JMHO.

Thanks!

I enjoyed A Cure for Wellness and Belko Experiment. I didn't think either was as good as Get Out, though... not that that's worth much. I'll definitely be pulling from this list the next time I'm looking for something to put on.

For as many movies as I watch, it always surprises (and kind of excites) me to find so many recommended that I haven't seen.

Staying on topic a bit, I can understand the gripes. I guess I'd have to counter that very few films -- or really pieces of art in general-- aren't dirivitive to varying degrees. I think it's largely a matter of taste in how much tolerance you have for it in some instances vs. others.

Get Out was an absolute run away hit that came out of nowhere, and it was heavily praised by critic and audiences alike. So often audience favorites get "snubbed" and at some point shouldn't the "people" have a voice, too. I'm not saying it's "Best Picture", but I think it's earned it's various nominations.

It all is just subjective in the end.
Deja Entendu

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 am

Rocker wrote:Maybe the wrong thread, but as far as psychological thriller/horror goes; Event Horizon is one of my all time favorites.

Mountaineer Buc

Postby sanka » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:33 pm

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:

Umm can we get your predictions for the winners?
― Malcolm X
sanka

Postby sanka » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Super K wrote:

Look when a comedian directs such a great movie...do not hate but congratulate...The movie is more than budget vs profit...the movie uses metaphors and symbols to dive into mankind's mind...Since the bucs had a bad season u have been cranky SK ..get it together.
― Malcolm X
sanka

Postby Super K » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 am

MJW, since the wife/fam and I love horror flicks so much I decided to use your list in here as a checklist for viewing...

Watched Creep the other night...I should whoop your ass.....

Turrible, absolutely turrible..
Super K

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:22 am

Super K wrote:MJW, since the wife/fam and I love horror flicks so much I decided to use your list in here as a checklist for viewing...

31 flavors, my friend. 31 flavors. I loved it.
MJW

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:28 pm

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:MJW, since the wife/fam and I love horror flicks so much I decided to use your list in here as a checklist for viewing...

31 flavors, my friend. 31 flavors. I loved it.

Because I like Mark Duplass, I made this my first watch from your list. I liked it.

I even turned it into a double feature and watched Creep 2 immediately after. I liked the sequel a lot more. I even think that it would be practically as good without ever seeing the first one (which I think is more a divisive "flavor.").

I'll check back in after I cross another off your list. Thanks, again.

Oh, and I still think Get Out was better haha.
Deja Entendu

Postby RedLeader » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Gold Harvey Weinstein Casting Couch Appears Near Oscars Venue

:lol:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ue-1089878
RedLeader

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Kobe Bryant won an Oscar.
Bootz2004

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Kobe Bryant won an Oscar.

I swear to you I was coming here for just this update ... crazy ... first sports icon to win ?
Crocaneers

Next

Return to Off Topic