Last one Wins ... .Part 2

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last one Wins ... .Part 2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm

Heidguy wrote:I'm getting ****ing old!! My right knee dislocated on me today, never had knee problems except the occasional aching but I'm 6'2 so that kinda comes with the territory smh. I gotta get my **** together!

I completely empathize. For the first time in my life, I'm having to stretch before I do anything strenuous. And I'm having to ice down afterwards. Knees are by far the worst. I just splurged and bought $600 knee braces for MX riding (I used to just wear knee guards). I figure a knee injury now would require substantially more healing time.
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Heidguy wrote:I'm getting ****ing old!! My right knee dislocated on me today, never had knee problems except the occasional aching but I'm 6'2 so that kinda comes with the territory smh. I gotta get my **** together!

As a 6'3 guy who plays a lot of basketball, this is what scares me most about getting old. That and losing my hair.
Deuce

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:24 pm

damn i'm 6'1" and feeling like a shorty now
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:damn i'm 6'1" and feeling like a shorty now

You're taller than almost 90% of men in the U.S.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:18 pm

I'll give this a go.

First job you had in which you tried to make it into a career: Navy communications. Everything was great the first 2 years. It was all shore duty. Started at Yorktown, VA after I completed my school in San Diego. When my time in Yorktown was up, I ended up on an aircraft carrier. They call carriers USS Eversail's because that's all they ever do. Sail. That's when I got to see the real navy. As the saying went, join the navy, see the world. Just remember, the world is over 75% water. Since my rating had a 2x4 rotation (2 years shore duty / 4 years sea duty), I decided that just wouldn't be for me long term.

Length of time you had that job: 4 years

How many career type jobs have you had: 2

Longest time with a company/institution: 12 years (10 so far on my current job)

Best thing about current job: I'm left alone to do my thing and so long as my work is done and done well, things will stay that way.

Worst thing about current job: Lack of advancement opportunities (at this point, near retirement, I'm good with that now)

Best trait you have that leads to job success: Attention to detail

Trait you need to improve the most: I'm too nice. In the corporate world, being too nice is not a good trait to have.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Kress » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:37 pm

NYBF wrote:Trait you need to improve the most: really need to stop being a procrastinator

No rush, there's plenty of time to worry about that.
Kress

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Cool stories and experiences by folks!

Croc -- how many different programming languages have you picked up over the course of your career? If you were advising a young person now to learn a language what would the most useful be?

Remember, I'm old .. I started COBOL, FORTRAN, and some Assembly in college (82-86), and hired to be a COBOL programmer. I used COBOL and RPG, and then moved into some SYNON later. The case oriented and code generated code for today's world is pretty different. I transitioned to the business side and work more operational direction with system design. Our developers all work every well with a C++ and .NET background, along with using the Oracle toolset.

I know that didn't help, but it's what I know.
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm

I would actually have guessed FORTRAN :)

As for the 2nd question, thank you very much for sharing, At some point in the medium future (a couple years) I want to start introducing my little one to the logic embedded within programming and am looking for a place to start.

All the programming I do is embedded within stats software so it wouldn’t be a good teaching device to a child
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:I would actually have guessed FORTRAN :)

As for the 2nd question, thank you very much for sharing, At some point in the medium future (a couple years) I want to start introducing my little one to the logic embedded within programming and am looking for a place to start.

All the programming I do is embedded within stats software so it wouldn’t be a good teaching device to a child

Grab a copy of Visio and start her with pseudocoding. The Visio will help her with envisioning what she wants her program to do and breaking it down into small, manageable pieces. I think I’ve got some example stuff floating around on my Drive. Happy to PM it, if you like.
Rocker

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Rocker wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I would actually have guessed FORTRAN :)

Grab a copy of Visio and start her with pseudocoding. The Visio will help her with envisioning what she wants her program to do and breaking it down into small, manageable pieces. I think I’ve got some example stuff floating around on my Drive. Happy to PM it, if you like.

That would be great. THanks!
Zarniwoop

Postby Caradoc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm

https://code.org/learn

My kid started this in first grade. Both her school in Hawaii and here use it.
Caradoc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Went and got a haircut and my barber trimmed my eyebrows.

I'm officially old.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Went and got a haircut and my barber trimmed my eyebrows.

I'm officially old.

Thanks for recording it for us...

https://youtu.be/xYTnPFv33kE
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Super K wrote:

I'm officially old.

Thanks for recording it for us...

https://youtu.be/xYTnPFv33kE

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?!?!?!??
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:25 pm

With devotion’s visage
And pious action
We do sugar o’er
The devil himself
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:55 pm

And my favorite quatrain from ancient Persia

I sent my soul through the invisible
Some letter of that afterlife to spell
And by and by my soul returned
And said ‘I myself am heaven and hell’
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:02 am

I'm officially old.

This happens to me all the time and I'm 29. lol

I got asked a few times and said no and then one just did it without asking. Trimmed them super short, too. And mine are blonde. I didn't like it. I still always say no.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 am

Until your eyebrows start disappearing altogether, you're not getting old. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 am

Weekend plans?

Tonight -- Little one is having a play date after school
Tomorrow -- MX race, late afternoon -- go swimming at REC center
Sunday - Church, Take down the 2 story indoor fort I made in the play room
Zarniwoop

Postby Deuce » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Weekend plans?

Tonight -- Little one is having a play date after school
Tomorrow -- MX race, late afternoon -- go swimming at REC center
Sunday - Church, Take down the 2 story indoor fort I made in the play room

Tonight- Mowing the yard and getting that **** out of the way before the weekend. Probably a lot of Rocket League.

Don't know about the weekend but some combination of seeing at least one movie (Annihilation, Black Panther, or Game Night), cooking some seafood, going to the beach, and visiting this hole in the wall in town that was just named the best beer bar in Florida.

This 2 story fort sounds pretty impressive.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:02 am

Cleaning my house. It's overdue for a good cleaning.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:35 am

Tonight. Finish up my taxes. Get to itemize this year.
Tomorrow. Nephew is having a birthday party. Pool is heated.
Sunday. Mow grass.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 pm

It's going to be beautiful all weekend, nights in the 40s .. wife is happy

Tonight: buy mulch
Sat: Spread said mulch
Sun: Church, lunch, and most likely .... more mulch
Crocaneers

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Tonight. Finish up my taxes. Get to itemize this year.
Tomorrow. Nephew is having a birthday party. Pool is heated.
Sunday. Mow grass.

Nice (itemizing)!

However, this year may be your LAST year to do so with the new horseshit tax codes..

It is for us..

We've itemized for the last 4 years because of how many miles I drive for work...but, if you are a W2 employee, that all goes away next year..

Fuckers..
Super K

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:24 pm

**** MB, I forgot you are an accountant...

Didn't mean to come at ya like a know-it-all...

My bad chief..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:28 pm

Super K wrote:**** MB, I forgot you are an accountant...

My bad chief..

No worries. I'm in industry and tax is not my specialty. Even my overeducated ass uses Turbo Tax.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Super K wrote:**** MB, I forgot you are an accountant...

My bad chief..

No worries. I'm in industry and tax is not my specialty. Even my overeducated ass uses Turbo Tax.

Ditto...except I opt for H&R Block online. I do my company's sales taxes & personal property taxes, but those are a whole different animal as I'm sure you well know. The only thing that makes those taxes a challenge is because I do them for multiple states using Excel. We looked into some canned sales tax software, but none of them function well with our ERP software. I've heard there's something promising from Avalara, but I haven't had a chance to evaluate it yet. We're short handed right now and one of our 3 staff accountants are new (been here 3 months). We have a true rookie starting this Monday to bring our dept. back up to full strength, but he's not going to know **** from Shinola for a while. It's been a crazy couple of months.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:No worries. I'm in industry and tax is not my specialty. Even my overeducated ass uses Turbo Tax.

Ditto...except I opt for H&R Block online. I do my company's sales taxes & personal property taxes, but those are a whole different animal as I'm sure you well know. The only thing that makes those taxes a challenge is because I do them for multiple states using Excel. We looked into some canned sales tax software, but none of them function well with our ERP software. I've heard there's something promising from Avalara, but I haven't had a chance to evaluate it yet. We're short handed right now and one of our 3 staff accountants are new (been here 3 months). We have a true rookie starting this Monday to bring our dept. back up to full strength, but he's not going to know **** from Shinola for a while. It's been a crazy couple of months.

I do sales, payroll, and some specific aviation fuel taxes for my outfit and am in the middle of training my new A/P and A/R clerk so ive been busy as well.

As for taxes, they're cheap and the federal stuff in EFTPS is easy, but the state taxes are tough to comply with. The rates are cheap, but the effort sucks because the state is archaic in its methods. I have to submit every single fuel transaction in a goddamned csv file and hope their computer figures it out.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Caradoc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

I completely empathize. For the first time in my life, I'm having to stretch before I do anything strenuous. And I'm having to ice down afterwards. Knees are by far the worst. I just splurged and bought $600 knee braces for MX riding (I used to just wear knee guards). I figure a knee injury now would require substantially more healing time.

Count yourselves lucky. 25 Year’s ago I shattered my right patella in a motorcycle crash. After 25 years of compensation my left (good) knee crapped out and I had it replaced 6 months ago. The right one won’t last more than a few more years.

I’m 46.
Caradoc

Postby Buc2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Ditto...except I opt for H&R Block online. I do my company's sales taxes & personal property taxes, but those are a whole different animal as I'm sure you well know. The only thing that makes those taxes a challenge is because I do them for multiple states using Excel. We looked into some canned sales tax software, but none of them function well with our ERP software. I've heard there's something promising from Avalara, but I haven't had a chance to evaluate it yet. We're short handed right now and one of our 3 staff accountants are new (been here 3 months). We have a true rookie starting this Monday to bring our dept. back up to full strength, but he's not going to know **** from Shinola for a while. It's been a crazy couple of months.

I do sales, payroll, and some specific aviation fuel taxes for my outfit and am in the middle of training my new A/P and A/R clerk so ive been busy as well.

As for taxes, they're cheap and the federal stuff in EFTPS is easy, but the state taxes are tough to comply with. The rates are cheap, but the effort sucks because the state is archaic in its methods. I have to submit every single fuel transaction in a goddamned csv file and hope their computer figures it out.

I have a few states where I can upload our data. Georgia, Alabama (THANK GOD 'cause they are a freaking nightmare to enter manually). There are some others that allow you to upload files, but, to be perfectly honest, I've been too lazy to give enough of a **** to set it up because they aren't that hard to do manually. Florida is interesting. You have discretionary taxes for every county, but the state doesn't give a **** about what you actually collected for each county. They just take the total discretionary tax you pay and use some "magic" formula to distribute it to the counties. I'm surprised the counties don't scream bloody murder over that because you know some of them are losing out on sales tax dollars they should have collected. Of course, that's only an issue for out-of-state companies like mine that ship product to multiple counties. We pay tens of thousands in discretionary taxes to Florida every year, but who knows what counties get it or even if they get any of it for that matter. Archaic? Uh, yeah.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic