Last one Wins ... .Part 2

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last one Wins ... .Part 2

Postby Kress » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 pm

I see. So in your professional opinion I am to assume that these guys, who walked up next to me and whipped out their junk, had at least semi wood at the time.

Well that's just spiffy.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 am

i hate meetings.

that is all
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:24 am

Call everyone involved together and form a task force, made up of 3 independent focus groups, that can meet independently and then come together at the end of the quarter for a convention where they can provide their ideas as to how you can best reduce the number of meetings you will have in the upcoming year. Run those results through a few professionals hired from an independent consulting firm, and then take a vote to choose between the top 7 results. If you can't get a 75% winner at that point, then I guess you will just have to start over - after, of course, calling a debriefing meeting to figure out where you went wrong.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:29 am

Kress wrote:Call everyone involved together and form a task force, made up of 3 independent focus groups, that can meet independently and then come together at the end of the quarter for a convention where they can provide their ideas as to how you can best reduce the number of meetings you will have in the upcoming year. Run those results through a few professionals hired from an independent consulting firm, and then take a vote to choose between the top 7 results. If you can't get a 75% winner at that point, then I guess you will just have to start over - after, of course, calling a debriefing meeting to figure out where you went wrong.

from my experience, lots of the wanna be authoritarians who love meetings would love this idea

i think most meetings can be 1/5th of the time they actually run and be just as effective or maybe even more effective
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 am

But did you get pastries?
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Kress wrote:Call everyone involved together and form a task force, made up of 3 independent focus groups, that can meet independently and then come together at the end of the quarter for a convention where they can provide their ideas as to how you can best reduce the number of meetings you will have in the upcoming year. Run those results through a few professionals hired from an independent consulting firm, and then take a vote to choose between the top 7 results. If you can't get a 75% winner at that point, then I guess you will just have to start over - after, of course, calling a debriefing meeting to figure out where you went wrong.

from my experience, lots of the wanna be authoritarians who love meetings would love this idea

i think most meetings can be 1/5th of the time they actually run and be just as effective or maybe even more effective

My company usually has 4 company-wide meetings a year. These quarterly, "state-of-the-company," meetings discuss where we are, financially, as well as highlighting what we did to get there and what we're doing to get even better results going forward. While this meeting isn't essential, it is mostly well received for the transparency it imparts on the behalf of upper management...especially outside of Accounting where we've already seen the numbers.

As for my department, the Controller meets with the staff accountants once a month to discuss the (pre-close) P&L statements. Specifically to discuss the reasons for any significant variances from the budget and if there are any variances that are due to an error that needs corrected before the final statements are released. Also, upcoming events that effect the dept are discussed (audits, acquisitions, etc.). I consider these essential meetings. Oh...we also joke around about other depts and branch operations. It adds levity to the meetings so they don't feel so stuffy.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 am

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 am

unless you are in Australia

Today is 15/8/18

Good night :)
Crocaneers

Postby Kress » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am

Crocaneers wrote:unless you are in Australia

Today is 15/8/18

Good night :)

Go figure. I flipped my monitor upside down, so that I could see what you're seeing, and you're right. It doesn't work. Crazy Aussies.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:35 am

ok, i chuckled aloud
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:45 am

This is just mean.

You know how it's common courtesy to avoid microwaving certain things in an office kitchen? Like, no popcorn. You will, without fail, burn it and stink up the joint. Also no fish. That goes without saying.

But here's a new low. SOMEBODY here microwaved bacon. I can smell it. I am a good distance removed from the kitchen, too, and I can smell it. It's fantastic. But who is so ***damn mean? If you're not going to make enough to share....... :cussing:
Kress

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am

Kress wrote:This is just mean.

You know how it's common courtesy to avoid microwaving certain things in an office kitchen? Like, no popcorn. You will, without fail, burn it and stink up the joint. Also no fish. That goes without saying.

But here's a new low. SOMEBODY here microwaved bacon. I can smell it. I am a good distance removed from the kitchen, too, and I can smell it. It's fantastic. But who is so ***damn mean? If you're not going to make enough to share....... :cussing:

Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:32 am

Tisk tisk Rocker. I thought you were nicer than this

Zarniwoop

Postby Super K » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:43 am

Dying laughing here...

This thread is awesome...just read the current page to know why... hahahaha

MB, that Gremlin GIF almost made me spit coffee all over my computer...
Super K

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:17 am

Speaking of Rocker .. it's Thursday night here .. and I got no news on the job search .. SUP?
Crocaneers

Postby Rocker » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 am

The search continues.

Apparently they’re Trump supporters; and didn’t like my little display of political angst.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:58 am

That sucks, man.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am

Rocker wrote:The search continues.

Apparently they’re Trump supporters; and didn’t like my little display of political angst.

Dammit!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:47 am

damn. meant to be. on to the next
beardmcdoug

Postby Kress » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 am

Well crap.
Kress

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:22 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

damn. meant to be. on to the next

Done! Done! Onto the next one!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:32 pm

A few months ago, all the accountants were informed that we were going to be transitioned from bi-weekly hourly payroll to monthly salaried payroll. I asked if they'd start the monthly payroll in September because we get 3 paychecks in August which would help smooth the transition. Fortunately, they agreed to do this. Still not looking forward to it. Besides never having been a fan of monthly payrolls, I will bemoan the loss of overtime pay.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby acmillis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Buc2 wrote:A few months ago, all the accountants were informed that we were going to be transitioned from bi-weekly hourly payroll to monthly salaried payroll. I asked if they'd start the monthly payroll in September because we get 3 paychecks in August which would help smooth the transition. Fortunately, they agreed to do this. Still not looking forward to it. Besides never having been a fan of monthly payrolls, I will bemoan the loss of overtime pay.

So then you're going from an FLSA non-exempt position to an exempt position? That's what determines OT rights. Not trying to be a Richard Stockton, just trying to make sure you and your employer are on the same page.
acmillis

Postby NYBF » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:31 pm

acmillis wrote:
Buc2 wrote:A few months ago, all the accountants were informed that we were going to be transitioned from bi-weekly hourly payroll to monthly salaried payroll. I asked if they'd start the monthly payroll in September because we get 3 paychecks in August which would help smooth the transition. Fortunately, they agreed to do this. Still not looking forward to it. Besides never having been a fan of monthly payrolls, I will bemoan the loss of overtime pay.

So then you're going from an FLSA non-exempt position to an exempt position? That's what determines OT rights. Not trying to be a Richard Stockton, just trying to make sure you and your employer are on the same page.

Yeah... not sure how much you want to rock the boat... but you should probably take a look at the exempt employee tests, see if you fit the description... and if not, might want to start causing some problems.
NYBF

Postby Super K » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Sorry to hear that Rocker...

Who do you need us to **** up?.. address and names please...
Super K

Postby Kress » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 pm

That does have a bit of an aroma to it #2...... There was nothing else in return or nothing else done? Just a "transition" of one entire department?

And out of random curiosity, since you referenced that you will miss your overtime and thus had it at least often enough, how did they set your salary? Did they just presume a 40 hour week at your current rate, or did they take an average of what you were actually making each month (going back far enough to ensure that they weren't cherry-picking slow accountant months and avoiding year end, tax time, etc.)?
Kress

Postby Super K » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Kress wrote:That does have a bit of an aroma to it #2...... There was nothing else in return or nothing else done? Just a "transition" of one entire department?

And out of random curiosity, since you referenced that you will miss your overtime and thus had it at least often enough, how did they set your salary? Did they just presume a 40 hour week at your current rate, or did they take an average of what you were actually making each month (going back far enough to ensure that they weren't cherry-picking slow accountant months and avoiding year end, tax time, etc.)?

Reads love ke a typical cost cutting move...

Take away hourly OT, probably offered a (small) salary increase from normal 40 hour work week pay...

Fuckers...
Super K

Postby NYBF » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Kress wrote:That does have a bit of an aroma to it #2...... There was nothing else in return or nothing else done? Just a "transition" of one entire department?

*puts all his chips on the former*
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 pm

I received a 4% increase which will more than offset my loss of OT. But that's not on top of any normal annual increase. They are also going to be hiring another staff accountant so that should take some work off our plates and, hopefully, mitigate the need for any of us to work OT. From a labor law standpoint, it appears they are doing everything above board and legally. Honestly, in my profession, this is the only company I have ever worked for where accountants were not considered salaried exempt.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:30 pm

I went back a few pages but I'm having trouble finding this. Can someone fill me in?
Deuce

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic