Last one Wins ... .Part 2

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Last one Wins ... .Part 2

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:43 am

OK, so I'm going to brag a bit on my students...the business majors are getting read to do what we call "comprehensive exams" which is a exam we give over two Saturday that covers all of the material they have learned over their 4 years. Being the longest tenured undergraduate business professor, I get the "privilege" of administering the exam. Anyway, in addition to assessing content knowledge in the traditional business functions like accounting, finance, marketing, operations, etc. our students have to complete a four hour Business Ethics exam where they answer two ethics based questions geared towards business and economics. In this portion they are not asked to choose a side but rather to delineate the argument that both sides make. They have to tackle each question from 3 perspective: Business Ethics, Philosophical Ethics and Religious Ethics.

Yesterday we did a review in class and listed a bunch of authors they need to rely on in order to make their arguments. This list isn't exhaustive, just a sampling of what they read. I teach at a "Great Books" school, so our students read the source material rather than a summary in some textbook.

Business Ethics -- Smith, Friedman, Keynes, Marx, Freeman, Maslowe, French, Rawls, Malthus, Carroll, Madeville, Ricardo, Bastiat, Mises, Rothbard, Mill, Engels, Jefferson, Hamilton, Paine

Philosophy -- Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, Descartes, Kant, Nietsche, Heideggar, Bowie, Gulla, Schimmel, Benthem, Bok, Solomon

Religious - Aquinas, Augustine, Assisi, Erasmus, More, Drane, every encyclical since 1800, etc.

Helping these students prepare for the exam, I am always left wishing that I would have went to a similar school with such requirements. And also, it leaves me thinking how great it would have been to do college like they did in Medieval Europe -- namely in your middle life, not when you were in your early 20's.
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 am

Zarniwoop wrote:OK, so I'm going to brag a bit on my students...the business majors are getting read to do what we call "comprehensive exams" which is a exam we give over two Saturday that covers all of the material they have learned over their 4 years. Being the longest tenured undergraduate business professor, I get the "privilege" of administering the exam. Anyway, in addition to assessing content knowledge in the traditional business functions like accounting, finance, marketing, operations, etc. our students have to complete a four hour Business Ethics exam where they answer two ethics based questions geared towards business and economics. In this portion they are not asked to choose a side but rather to delineate the argument that both sides make. They have to tackle each question from 3 perspective: Business Ethics, Philosophical Ethics and Religious Ethics.

Yesterday we did a review in class and listed a bunch of authors they need to rely on in order to make their arguments. This list isn't exhaustive, just a sampling of what they read. I teach at a "Great Books" school, so our students read the source material rather than a summary in some textbook.

Business Ethics -- Smith, Friedman, Keynes, Marx, Freeman, Maslowe, French, Rawls, Malthus, Carroll, Madeville, Ricardo, Bastiat, Mises, Rothbard, Mill, Engels, Jefferson, Hamilton, Paine

Philosophy -- Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, Descartes, Kant, Nietsche, Heideggar, Bowie, Gulla, Schimmel, Benthem, Bok, Solomon

Religious - Aquinas, Augustine, Assisi, Erasmus, More, Drane, every encyclical since 1800, etc.

Helping these students prepare for the exam, I am always left wishing that I would have went to a similar school with such requirements. And also, it leaves me thinking how great it would have been to do college like they did in Medieval Europe -- namely in your middle life, not when you were in your early 20's.

Awesome dude. I don't know you personally, but I gather you're a pretty good guy, and you sound like the ideal professor. thanks for all the good you're doing for the future generations. totally agree with your last line, how cool would that have been
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 pm

much appreciated :)
Zarniwoop

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Well done Z .. I have wondered often the same, yet have the feeling due to how the American machine is setup, that if you left the gap between high school and college later, do you more often go back.
There are very good stories about those who couldn't or didn't go directly to college, got the school of hard knocks of experience, and then get the higher level of education.

I would not change much of the college experience, save one. I was trained and educated as a programmer. All we did in college was create ..... no debug ... and yet most all jobs were . debug oriented. Later I met with the school, and helped create a class on "here's the code, with structure, and a problem" .. .SOLVE.

Best ever
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Well done Z .. I have wondered often the same, yet have the feeling due to how the American machine is setup, that if you left the gap between high school and college later, do you more often go back.
There are very good stories about those who couldn't or didn't go directly to college, got the school of hard knocks of experience, and then get the higher level of education.

I would not change much of the college experience, save one. I was trained and educated as a programmer. All we did in college was create ..... no debug ... and yet most all jobs were . debug oriented. Later I met with the school, and helped create a class on "here's the code, with structure, and a problem" .. .SOLVE.

Best ever

I think every college should require one course in programming, not so much because students will use the material, but rather because of its use of deconstruction and logic
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:Well done Z .. I have wondered often the same, yet have the feeling due to how the American machine is setup, that if you left the gap between high school and college later, do you more often go back.

Best ever

I think every college should require one course in programming, not so much because students will use the material, but rather because of its use of deconstruction and logic

I support that.

I also missed the chance to marvel at the use of source books rather than textbooks. I think that's awesome too.

Probably has it's drawbacks. I had a buddy in Afghanistan reading Tolstoy. He read me one paragraph and it melted my lizard brain.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 pm

my little one is big into arts and crafts so two stores we frequent are Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Both have those 40% off one item coupons on line. We went to hobby lobby today to buy one of those huge galllon jugs of glue ... mainly for slime making. I quickly picked it up and took it up front. I was surprised when the gal rang it up because it seemed more expensive then I thought. I asked about it and she said it’s on sale for 15% off. I hadn’t seen the sign apparently. So I couldn’t use my coupon. Basically I have to wait for the item to go off sale so I can save money on it. I never really understood that. Why can’t they just take the lower of the sale price or the 40% off....seems incredibly inconvenient for the customer

Ugggghhh
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 am

Zarniwoop wrote:my little one is big into arts and crafts so two stores we frequent are Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Both have those 40% off one item coupons on line. We went to hobby lobby today to buy one of those huge galllon jugs of glue ... mainly for slime making. I quickly picked it up and took it up front. I was surprised when the gal rang it up because it seemed more expensive then I thought. I asked about it and she said it’s on sale for 15% off. I hadn’t seen the sign apparently. So I couldn’t use my coupon. Basically I have to wait for the item to go off sale so I can save money on it. I never really understood that. Why can’t they just take the lower of the sale price or the 40% off....seems incredibly inconvenient for the customer

Ugggghhh

Naw. They know about the coupons, so by putting something on sale for a lesser percentage than the coupon, they keep their margin on that product higher. Once the coupon expires, the item will go back to its regular price. ~ Retail 101
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 am

The 40% thing is a perpetual thing ....that coupon never goes away
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 am

Zarniwoop wrote:The 40% thing is a perpetual thing ....that coupon never goes away

Ah. Well. Now you just have to wait until your daughter needs a gallon of glue again and hope it isn't on sale when she does. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:38 am

Everything is always on sale at Michael's. Best of luck finding something you can use that 40% coupon for.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 am

NYBF wrote:Everything is always on sale at Michael's. Best of luck finding something you can use that 40% coupon for.

Indeed.

What I don't get about Hobby Lobby is their overall pricing strategy. It seems that every product range is 50% every other week. Any semi-regular customer knows this. And my guess is that most customers will delay purchases until the 50% off is applied to the products they want. So maybe Hobby Lobby gets a few people to pay full price on picture frames, art supplies, christmas decorations, etc....but I'm thinking the vast majority don't, they just wait a week or two until it goes on sale So basically they are willing to sacrifice the inconvenience (and potential loss of sales) to their loyal customers for the little bit of full price sales they get from non-loyal customers.
Zarniwoop

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:21 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
NYBF wrote:Everything is always on sale at Michael's. Best of luck finding something you can use that 40% coupon for.

Indeed.

What I don't get about Hobby Lobby is their overall pricing strategy. It seems that every product range is 50% every other week. Any semi-regular customer knows this. And my guess is that most customers will delay purchases until the 50% off is applied to the products they want. So maybe Hobby Lobby gets a few people to pay full price on picture frames, art supplies, christmas decorations, etc....but I'm thinking the vast majority don't, they just wait a week or two until it goes on sale So basically they are willing to sacrifice the inconvenience (and potential loss of sales) to their loyal customers for the little bit of full price sales they get from non-loyal customers.

I could be wrong, but in my personal experience most people don't buy crafting supplies in advance. They buy whatever they need for the project at hand. A person that plans ahead can save a lot of money, but I doubt those people make up a significant portion of the overall sales.

I would guess those constant sales are to boost impulse buys from people there to buy something else. You're there to buy glue for your kid to make slime and they see a beautiful picture frame. You have to get it..... It's on sale!
Sammich

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:25 am

Sammich wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:
Indeed.

I could be wrong, but in my personal experience most people don't buy crafting supplies in advance. They buy whatever they need for the project at hand. A person that plans ahead can save a lot of money, but I doubt those people make up a significant portion of the overall sales.

I would guess those constant sales are to boost impulse buys from people there to buy something else. You're there to buy glue for your kid to make slime and they see a beautiful picture frame. You have to get it..... It's on sale!

I don't doubt you are onto something about how people "save" money by spending money they would have never otherwise spent because of a "Sale" sign.

I have a friend that is an operations manager for a very large chain retail department store. The stories she tells me about how they manipulate their "Sale" labels are incredible.
Zarniwoop

Postby Sammich » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:49 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Sammich wrote:

I don't doubt you are onto something about how people "save" money by spending money they would have never otherwise spent because of a "Sale" sign.

I have a friend that is an operations manager for a very large chain retail department store. The stories she tells me about how they manipulate their "Sale" labels are incredible.

Sales in any type of field 100% revolve around the upsell. That means to get your customer to spend more than they originally intended to spend. Any place you spend money does this, even if you don't see it.

Grocery stores put staples like milk, bread, beer, soda, meat, and eggs as far from the entrance as they can to force you to walk past as much other stuff as possible to get what you came there for hoping you will grab a few other things. They also make you stare at candy and magazines while you wait to check out.

You want fries with that?

I bet the last time you went to the movies the concessions person tried to get you to get a larger size of drink or popcorn. If you were already getting the largest sizes available they offered you a sweet candy to go with your salty popcorn.

Have you ever gotten your oil changed without being offered something else?

Those dress shirts that are on sale aren't next to the other shits, they're next to dress pants that aren't on sale. There are always belts near the pants. There are always laces and insoles near the shoes, etc.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. They ALL do it.
Sammich

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Damn, tomorrow’s high of 53 happens at 1 am. By 10 am when my race starts its 41. Continues to fall the rest of the day

Uuuggghhhhh
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:14 pm

It's gonna rain all damned weekend out here.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Damn, tomorrow’s high of 53 happens at 1 am. By 10 am when my race starts its 41. Continues to fall the rest of the day

Uuuggghhhhh

bro. the high was 22 here today. the high. I'd be out in my damn speedo if it hit 53 this time of year. the fact that it would be 1 am makes it all the better
beardmcdoug

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Let me have my bitching!!!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm

sorry

for you:

beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:14 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:It's gonna rain all damned weekend out here.

Same here and right through Monday.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:15 am

beardmcdoug wrote:I'd be out in my damn speedo if it hit 53 this time of year.

TMI, dude. TMI.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:50 am

My race starts in 20 mins. It’s 34 degrees. This is gonna suck
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:05 am

Zarniwoop wrote:My race starts in 20 mins. It’s 34 degrees. This is gonna suck

Wah. Suck it up, buttercup.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Super K » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 am

Wrestling regionals today...my son is seeded 3rd at 220lbs... top 4 go to States..

Kid needs to have a day!
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:54 am

Super K wrote:Wrestling regionals today...my son is seeded 3rd at 220lbs... top 4 go to States..

Kid needs to have a day!

Give him a steel chair when the ref id distracted. Works all the time.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Super K wrote:Wrestling regionals today...my son is seeded 3rd at 220lbs... top 4 go to States..

Kid needs to have a day!

Give him a steel chair when the ref id distracted. Works all the time.

First time my son walked into his school's wrestling room, he was confused why there were no ropes.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:25 pm

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Give him a steel chair when the ref id distracted. Works all the time.

First time my son walked into his school's wrestling room, he was confused why there were no ropes.

BAH GAWD! That kid's got a family!
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Whelp, seeded 3rd, takes 3rd...onto States we go!....

Mind you, the kid is 195 and wrestling up at 220..1st year ever wrestling too...pretty damn cool...
Super K

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Congrats to him. Best of luck at state
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic