Re: Grim's 2018 ..... guess who is gone now thread

Postby PanteraCanes » Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 am

Crocaneers wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:I hate all of you :)

Any update on Lucy (AL 288-1)?
PanteraCanes

Postby MJW » Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 am

We've now lost TWO American literary titans this week, with Philip Roth joining Tom Wolfe on the great Book Tour in the Sky.

If I was Cormac McCarthy, I'd schedule a checkup, just to be safe.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:47 am

R.I.P. Alan Bean

Apollo 12 astronaut Alan Bean dies

It's a somber day for spaceflight, as NASA astronaut Alan Bean has died at the age of 86 after falling ill during a trip. He was the fourth person to walk on the Moon, flying aboard Apollo 12, and proved crucial to humanity's understanding of its closest celestial neighbor. He was the only geologist to have walked on the Moon and provided an immensely valuable collection of samples that inform lunar geology to this day. He also led the second of three Skylab crews, staying a then record-setting 59 days as he survayed both the Earth's resources and the Sun.

After he retired in 1981, Bean carried on his legacy in a unique way: painting. He spent the past four decades creating art themed around space exploration, including Apollo-based paintings that would include moon dust and parts of his mission patches. It was his way of making his space adventures relatable to people who might never go. Between this and his missions, it's likely that Bean's legacy will persist for a long while.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:56 am

THE Catch ..... RIP Dwight Clark

He died at 61 of ALS :(

Crocaneers

Postby acmillis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Designer Kate Spade allegedly killed herself today. She was a mother of a 13 year old daughter.
acmillis

Postby MJW » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:46 am

Anthony Bourdain supposedly killed himself also.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:48 am

MJW wrote:Anthony Bourdain supposedly killed himself also.

Just saw that. Wow.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 am

Yeah, that ****ing sucks.

I was a cook and eventually a chef from the end of 2005 to August 2016. I occasionally worked other parts of the restaurant but the kitchen was my jam. He was always one of my favorite people from the industry. I read his book Kitchen Confidential and in it he talks a lot about the drug abuse in the industry and mental health problems, etc. It really resonated with me on a lot of levels. On top of that, his television shows were phenomenal, especially Parts Unknown. He provided such an insight in to areas that are inaccessible to a lot of people and themselves are isolated from the world somewhat. Really interesting to see those cultures and how the people there really are.

Anthony Bourdain was one of those rare individuals who was not only completely bad-ass but also entirely, genuinely authentic and the culinary world will be worse off without him.
Last edited by The Outsider on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 am

The Outsider wrote:Yeah, that ****ing sucks.

I was a cook and eventually a chef from the end of 2005 to August 2018. I occasionally worked other parts of the restaurant but the kitchen was my jam. He was always one of my favorite people from the industry. I read his book Kitchen Confidential and in it he talks a lot about the drug abuse in the industry and mental health problems, etc. It really resonated with me on a lot of levels. On top of that, his television shows were phenomenal, especially Parts Unknown. He provided such an insight in to areas that are inaccessible to a lot of people and themselves are isolated from the world somewhat. Really interesting to see those cultures and how the people there really are.

Anthony Bourdain was one of those rare individuals who was not only completely bad-ass but also entirely, genuinely authentic and the culinary world will be worse off without him.

sucks wtf
Jason Bourne

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:13 am

I never saw this before!

Bourdain goes to Waffle House

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bct8stbZafI&t=7s

Dude was such a wordsmith.

Edit. Goddammit! link since youtube is being a bitch.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:24 am

Suicide?

Really?

****, i would always joke, “man, must be tough to be that guy”...

RIP
RedLeader

Postby NYBF » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 am

The Outsider wrote:
I was a cook and eventually a chef from the end of 2005 to August 2018.

Can you give me some sports results or powerball numbers or something? I'll split it with you.

I just started the new season of Parts Unknown and was going to PM Mountaineer that the WV ep was really good and he should watch.

This was one of the only things (besides sports) that I watch on TV. Even places he would go that you would think would suck, you'd watch a couple minutes of the episode and want to visit. I don't give a **** about 99.9% of celebrities, but this ****ing sucks.
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am

bourdain gone now....

whats up with all these folks hanging themslves???????

wouldn't a bottle of slleping pills or something be easier?
Stuart

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am

NYBF wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
I was a cook and eventually a chef from the end of 2005 to August 2018.

Can you give me some sports results or powerball numbers or something? I'll split it with you.

I just started the new season of Parts Unknown and was going to PM Mountaineer that the WV ep was really good and he should watch.

This was one of the only things (besides sports) that I watch on TV. Even places he would go that you would think would suck, you'd watch a couple minutes of the episode and want to visit. I don't give a **** about 99.9% of celebrities, but this ****ing sucks.

Lol that was supposed to be a 2016. One of my dogs woke me up at 5 and has the shits so I'm not all there this morning.
The Outsider

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:08 am

Man...this one sucks. I can't begin to grasp mental health issues. This guy was brilliant, wealthy, attractive for an older man, and his job was literally to travel around, experience different cultures and eat. I don't know what more you could ask for out of life.
Deuce

Postby Stuart » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:44 am

Deuce wrote:Man...this one sucks. I can't begin to grasp mental health issues. This guy was brilliant, wealthy, attractive for an older man, and his job was literally to travel around, experience different cultures and eat. I don't know what more you could ask for out of life.

hookers and blow
Stuart

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:12 am

It seems to me that those who have tremendous success tend to struggle more as they get older.
real bucs fan

Postby Betsy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 am

Deuce wrote:Man...this one sucks. I can't begin to grasp mental health issues. This guy was brilliant, wealthy, attractive for an older man, and his job was literally to travel around, experience different cultures and eat. I don't know what more you could ask for out of life.

Some one who really listens.....
Betsy

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Betsy wrote:

This is possibly the truest thing I've seen posted on this board.
bucfanclw

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:24 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Betsy wrote:Some one who really listens.....

This is possibly the truest thing I've seen posted on this board.

It's such a simple but overlooked truth.

@Deuce: I've been pretty open about my mental health issues in the past. Not that I have anything necessarily serious like bipolar or BPD, I suffer from clinical depression. It comes and goes and can be set off by things so random that most of the time I'm not even sure what sets it off.

When I'm in the throes of depression I am 100% a different person than I am when I'm normal. Almost no one has seen how bad it really gets for me at times because even when I'm dealing with a bout of shittiness I've trained myself since childhood to project a cheery, normal demeanor in the presence of others. So we might be having a conversation where I'm smiling and laughing but I feel completely dead inside. The feeling its self is like the whole world is muted and dull. Even the things I enjoy hold no joy or entertainment for me. Literally all I want to do in those times is shut myself in the house and desperately try to figure out how to make myself feel something.

I tend so self medicate with weed, because doing it with alcohol will ****ing kill you and I'm not really trying to die. I haven't wanted that in several years now.

I have no real struggles in my life either, it's just stupid ****ing brain chemistry.
The Outsider

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:45 pm

The Outsider wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:This is possibly the truest thing I've seen posted on this board.

@Deuce: I've been pretty open about my mental health issues in the past. Not that I have anything necessarily serious like bipolar or BPD, I suffer from clinical depression. It comes and goes and can be set off by things so random that most of the time I'm not even sure what sets it off.

When I'm in the throes of depression I am 100% a different person than I am when I'm normal. Almost no one has seen how bad it really gets for me at times because even when I'm dealing with a bout of shittiness I've trained myself since childhood to project a cheery, normal demeanor in the presence of others. So we might be having a conversation where I'm smiling and laughing but I feel completely dead inside. The feeling its self is like the whole world is muted and dull. Even the things I enjoy hold no joy or entertainment for me. Literally all I want to do in those times is shut myself in the house and desperately try to figure out how to make myself feel something.

I tend so self medicate with weed, because doing it with alcohol will ****ing kill you and I'm not really trying to die. I haven't wanted that in several years now.

I have no real struggles in my life either, it's just stupid ****ing brain chemistry.

I originally had more in my post but decided to delete it. Growing up, there was never any talk about this stuff. Not sure if my entire family is lucky to be mentally healthy or swept it under the rug. At my last job, everyone talked about what they did when they got home to cope with the stress (mostly drinking). It was like I was an alien when I said, "Really? I just forget about all of this stuff as soon as I walk out the door." I don't think it's a coincidence that I've never gotten into drinking or tried any drugs, or even cigarettes. I'd say into my 20's I basically thought things like anxiety or depression were myths and those people just needed to exercise, eat better, hang out with some friends and they'd be fine.

It's only in the last few years that I've met people and realized how it works and I'm blown away. It's like, see that hot girl dancing in front of everyone at the bar, she's depressed. See that young guy who's a lawyer and seems to have it all, depressed. You're right, it's just brain chemistry. Coming from an outside perspective, though, I still see guys like Bourdain and think "Really?" Then I have to remind myself.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Betsy wrote:

So true.

I wonder if there is correlation between the rise in suicides and people becoming more detached from actual human interaction due the addition we have to our phones.
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Deuce wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I originally had more in my post but decided to delete it. Growing up, there was never any talk about this stuff. Not sure if my entire family is lucky to be mentally healthy or swept it under the rug. At my last job, everyone talked about what they did when they got home to cope with the stress (mostly drinking). It was like I was an alien when I said, "Really? I just forget about all of this stuff as soon as I walk out the door." I don't think it's a coincidence that I've never gotten into drinking or tried any drugs, or even cigarettes. I'd say into my 20's I basically thought things like anxiety or depression were myths and those people just needed to exercise, eat better, hang out with some friends and they'd be fine.

It's only in the last few years that I've met people and realized how it works and I'm blown away. It's like, see that hot girl dancing in front of everyone at the bar, she's depressed. See that young guy who's a lawyer and seems to have it all, depressed. You're right, it's just brain chemistry. Coming from an outside perspective, though, I still see guys like Bourdain and think "Really?" Then I have to remind myself.

I'm happy to hear that you're understanding it. Too many people who haven't experienced that type of crap write it off as mental weakness assuming people can just will themselves to feel better.

If it were that simple, well, not many people would kill themselves.
The Outsider

Postby Stuart » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:32 pm

thinning the heard.

it isn't done anymore, and we wonder whats wrong mith murica
Stuart

Postby The Outsider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Stuart wrote:thinning the heard.

Paging delt.
The Outsider

Postby NYBF » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:47 pm

You try too hard to be a troll. And you suck at it.

What's wrong, daddy didn't give you enough attention?

Or maybe too much attention?
NYBF

Postby Stuart » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:49 pm

NYBF wrote:

You try too hard to be a troll. And you suck at it.

What's wrong, daddy didn't give you enough attention?

Or maybe too much attention?

guess he was too busy ****king your mom
Stuart

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:28 pm

for Stuart

(c) delt
Crocaneers

Postby RedLeader » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Betsy wrote:

You’re assuming he didnt?

Not that simple, Im afraid.
RedLeader

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic