General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Grim's 2018 ..... guess who is gone now thread

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:57 pm

David Ogden Stiers was 75

He played Charles Emerson Winchester on MASH
Crocaneers

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:59 am

Roger Bannister. The first man to run a sub 4 minute mile was 88.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Not sure if it's a hoax, but saw more than one person tweet Stephen Hawking is dead at 76.
DreadNaught

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:05 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Not sure if it's a hoax, but saw more than one person tweet Stephen Hawking is dead at 76.

yup

The Associated Press

Verified account

@AP
7m7 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Family spokesman says physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.

RIP
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 pm

RIP Stephen Hawking
Bootz2004

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Rest In Peace, Doctor. Your struggle, intellect, and grace were an inspiration.
Rocker

Postby The Outsider » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Rest in peace doc.
The Outsider

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 pm

I've never seen so many Christians celebrate someone dying. Go check out the comment section on a foxnews article about Hawking's death. Crazy...
uscbucsfan

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Excellent timing, USC.
Rocker

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Rocker wrote:Excellent timing, USC.

I was blown away by it, honestly. Not intending to politicize his death.
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 am

uscbucsfan wrote:I've never seen so many Christians celebrate someone dying. Go check out the comment section on a foxnews article about Hawking's death. Crazy...

I don't see the celebration part. This is where the "Christian" label separates and divides. Anyone celebrating his death, missed any mark for Christian.

/stance
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:50 am

Crocaneers wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I've never seen so many Christians celebrate someone dying. Go check out the comment section on a foxnews article about Hawking's death. Crazy...

I don't see the celebration part. This is where the "Christian" label separates and divides. Anyone celebrating his death, missed any mark for Christian.

/stance

+1.

Continuing on a tangent (and wholly not appropriate for this thread...maybe if its an interesting topic I can put a thread in Politics)....I've never understood the relationship disdain that many Christians feel about science in general as though they feel it is a choice between science and faith. Our Creator endowed us with an incredibly potent power -- REASON. We should couple that with imagination and push the boundaries of human knowledge. It used to be that many housed within the religious sphere were also leading scientific thinkers...both in Christianity (Swedenborg, Augustine, etc) as well as the Islamic world (Kayyam, etc)
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:03 am

I think for some there may have been some feelings that some of the work Hawking was involved in was heretical because some people started referring to the Higgs Boson as the "God Particle". There's always going those few that get upset that every new discovery is somehow a slight against the church, but his open denial of the existence of a, as he put it, "personal" god, coupled with the fact that people kept invoking God when trying to explain his work just pushed a lot of people over the edge.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:03 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:

/stance

+1.

Continuing on a tangent (and wholly not appropriate for this thread...maybe if its an interesting topic I can put a thread in Politics)....I've never understood the relationship disdain that many Christians feel about science in general as though they feel it is a choice between science and faith. Our Creator endowed us with an incredibly potent power -- REASON. We should couple that with imagination and push the boundaries of human knowledge. It used to be that many housed within the religious sphere were also leading scientific thinkers...both in Christianity (Swedenborg, Augustine, etc) as well as the Islamic world (Kayyam, etc)

Didn't the Catholic church try to suppress a lot of scientific knowledge/discovery by labeling it heretical in order to keep the people ignorant and more pliable? If so, perhaps the disdain some Christians hold for men/women of science can be attributed to that even after all the years that have passed since those bad old days of heretic labeling.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 am

Yes Buc2 at various times the church condoned the war against science ... that’s a good addition, thanks.
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Given our conversation above, when I saw this, I LOL'd and had to share.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Here's a little coincidence for you...

Stephen Hawking died on Albert Einstein's birthday.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Buc2 wrote:Here's a little coincidence for you...

Which is also Pi day. Also, Hawking was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death.

Here's a question. Most athiests/agnostics I know don't get upset with religious folks for saying there is a god, why do so many religious people get angry with non-believers for the opposite?

Are we not all allowed to hold and espouse our beliefs?
The Outsider

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Couldn’t say, Outtie.
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Outsider ..

I would put it on misguided passion, but I also get your point. No one wins either way with criticism or argument. It's why you see the stance I take. Gracefully disagree, but don't move the needle to tell you differently.
Crocaneers

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 pm

The Outsider wrote:

Which is also Pi day. Also, Hawking was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death.

Here's a question. Most athiests/agnostics I know don't get upset with religious folks for saying there is a god, why do so many religious people get angry with non-believers for the opposite?

Where and who are these angry religious people you're referencing? Is this personal experience or is this something you read on the internet?

I'm not a believer either (certainly not in the literal sense of religion), but I don't have experience with what you're talking about here. I suppose some people may get angry sometimes regardless of what side of the religion equation they side on if someone on the other side is being an ass about what they happen to believe in (or not believe in).
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

Where and who are these angry religious people you're referencing? Is this personal experience or is this something you read on the internet?

I'm not a believer either (certainly not in the literal sense of religion), but I don't have experience with what you're talking about here. I suppose some people may get angry sometimes regardless of what side of the religion equation they side on if someone on the other side is being an ass about what they happen to believe in (or not believe in).

Personal experience both online and with people face to face. I come from a pretty Irish Catholic background.
The Outsider

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Outsider ..

I would put it on misguided passion, but I also get your point. No one wins either way with criticism or argument. It's why you see the stance I take. Gracefully disagree, but don't move the needle to tell you differently.

That's my take on it as well. I have no problem with friendly debate though. And as I've said in the past I've studied religion, primarily Christianity but a few of the other major ones in passing, and I've found plenty of value in pretty much every religion. The Bible is full of great parables and lessons and Jesus seems like he was pretty much the exemplary human being.
Last edited by The Outsider on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Was Craig Mack not RIP'd in this thread?

He had that flava for your ears
Noles1724

Postby Caradoc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

+1.

Didn't the Catholic church try to suppress a lot of scientific knowledge/discovery by labeling it heretical in order to keep the people ignorant and more pliable? If so, perhaps the disdain some Christians hold for men/women of science can be attributed to that even after all the years that have passed since those bad old days of heretic labeling.

That wasn't why that was done. Learn more history.
Caradoc

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:27 am

The Outsider wrote:

I notice that too. Plus, in my town, religion (specifically, Christianity) is a BFD. As such, I tend to steer away from religion bashing, even as a joke, on my FB page. Too many folks I interact with on the daily or my company does business with for me to be ruffling feathers unnecessarily. So I tend to keep the tone down by not discussing religion in non-anonymous social media like FB, Instagram, etc.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:29 am

Caradoc wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Didn't the Catholic church try to suppress a lot of scientific knowledge/discovery by labeling it heretical in order to keep the people ignorant and more pliable? If so, perhaps the disdain some Christians hold for men/women of science can be attributed to that even after all the years that have passed since those bad old days of heretic labeling.

Great response.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:42 am

Buc2 wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

Great response.

He's also wrong, because that was totally a reason for it.
The Outsider

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:01 am

The Outsider wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Great response.

He's also wrong, because that was totally a reason for it.

At another point, the Catholic Church was one of the leaders in supporting the works of scientists. After the end of Rome as a major power, the church stepped in and established a number of universities and scientific centers. In those days, it was men like Friar Roger Bacon that established what would become the modern scientific method. That legacy is carried on in the Catholic schools and universities of today, like Notre Dame, Georgetown and Boston College.
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 am

Buc2 wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

I notice that too. Plus, in my town, religion (specifically, Christianity) is a BFD. As such, I tend to steer away from religion bashing, even as a joke, on my FB page. Too many folks I interact with on the daily or my company does business with for me to be ruffling feathers unnecessarily. So I tend to keep the tone down by not discussing religion in non-anonymous social media like FB, Instagram, etc.

I'm not religious, but there are worse things for people to believe in so I don't see the logic behind bashing anyone for their beliefs providing those beliefs don't effect you.

Now if someone is antagonizing/provoking me about not being religious than sure, I'll respond in kind like I would regardless of the subject matter (sports, politics, etc). But I just don't encounter those type of conflicts and the religious people I do know and conversate with are respectful and peaceful folks.

The fact is religion for the most part are series of stories which help deride value in life. Stories whose origin predates religion itself in most cases. I've struggled reconciling the values that religion teaches (which I believe are great things both for the individual and society) and the literal interpretations of holy books (which I don't believe in). The reconciliation has been made easier by listening to Peterson's biblical series. In the end I doubt I'll ever be a religious person, my brain just isn't wired to believe in things without physical evidence. But that doesn't mean I have to oppose religion or sass people who are religious. In most cases they are much happier in life than the non-believers who pretend to take some intellectual high ground (which is ironic).
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic