Grim's 2018 ..... guess who is gone now thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: Grim's 2018 ..... guess who is gone now thread

Postby MJW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:21 am

One of my nieces posted that losing Mac Miller was like when the previous generation lost Kurt Cobain.

Blocked and Reported.

I had no idea who Mac Miller is. When I was told he died, I tried to figure out why Nintendo would kill off the guy from Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Then I finally watched one of his videos on youtube and realized he was one of about 7,000 emaciated white mumble-rappers vomiting out at a funeral clip. Then I thought about it some more, and dis-invited my niece from Thanksgiving also.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:25 am

MJW wrote:One of my nieces posted that losing Mac Miller was like when the previous generation lost Kurt Cobain.

Blocked and Reported.

I had no idea who Mac Miller is. When I was told he died, I tried to figure out why Nintendo would kill off the guy from Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Then I finally watched one of his videos on youtube and realized he was one of about 7,000 emaciated white mumble-rappers vomiting out at a funeral clip. Then I thought about it some more, and dis-invited my niece from Thanksgiving also.

I'd like give my bipartisan support to this post.

His death at such a young age is tragic because he left us before he could figure out how to make good music.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby RedLeader » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:42 am

MJW wrote:One of my nieces posted that losing Mac Miller was like when the previous generation lost Kurt Cobain.

Blocked and Reported.

Agreed. That said, I never really thought Cobain was much of a loss to music either.
RedLeader

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Blocked and Reported.

That’s just a dumb thing for your niece to say.

I don’t really care enough to take up this banner on, so this will be the last thing I say about it - I only feel somewhat interested in saying something about this because I think you’re missing something of value about the whole story - it’s nothing major and your life would certainly be most unaffected if you did miss it, but if you’re interested - and I say this as somebody who has never really been a huge fan of his actual music, nor his outward “stage persona”/style - but I am interested in the man - it has been an interesting story to watch from a now-30 year old’s perspective, who was in college still back when he “made it” in 2010 - at 19. I remember not liking him, that people I didn’t like, frat guys, etc, liked him. I remember his first actual album getting SHREDDED. I remember that all the sudden it would be embarrassing to admit that you liked him. I remember watching him and his style fall into this complete drugged out blackhole. I remember thinking “hm maybe there’s some complexity there”. I remember seeing him still being pigeonholed as a meme, like he was the Barney of your high school/ college music taste - the guy that everybody listened to at one time but you were a complete faggot if you ever talked about or admitted that. I remember several years going by where this dude just inhabited that dark space not really pulling himself out.

Then about 2 years ago I hear this song:

And thought hey ****! That **** bumps! Good to see he’s actually making music now and collabing with good artists

Then he just did the NPR tiny desk concert - he’s got a full band goin, they’ve got strings goin, there’s introspection going on... and oh ****... look how cripplingly socially awkward he is between songs...

Idk. It’s interesting to me, the redemption story, all of it. I think it lands with me most because the dude was unanimously considered an incredibly nice dude. And to not get embittered by how things kind of turned on him for a while there, is impressive to me.

Here’s a good GQ article just written about him that I think does a good job of describing sort of what I’m getting at:

http://www.gq.com/story/mac-miller-was-proof-that-a-rapper-could-grow-up/amp

Couple all this by looking back at one of the songs he “made it” with, from back in 2011 - the naïveté, the innocence - there’s something sort of nostalgic and sad about how everything went down:

I hope you see it too. I hate mumble rappers more than anyone. Dude wasn’t just a mumble rapper. Dude could play piano, guitar, could make his own beats, and was a pretty decent freestyler. And I know I went on way too long about this, but I hope it showed you something that maybe you weren’t seeing and maybe take something away
beardmcdoug

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:17 pm

When did this become about Justin Beiber?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Ha!

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PlinkoBuccaneer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 am

Hi, Bucs fans. :( Bill Daily also died and passed away. He is best known for playing Major Roger Healey in 'I Dream Of Jeannie,' alongside Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman. Daily actually died on September 4, but his family didn't announce publicly until September 7. RIP BD. Thanks for entertaining us. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Daily
PlinkoBuccaneer

Postby Buc2 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:55 am

It sucks that he died, but, damn, did he have to go and pass away too? Oh, the humanity.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby terrytate » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:43 am

Al Matthews, AKA Sgt Apone from Aliens, passed away yesterday.

Not only was he the tough as nails marine in Aliens, he was a tough as nails, highly decorated Sergeant in the Marine corp during the Vietnam war.

Rest easy, Sarge.
terrytate

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:00 am

RIP random, half-known actor/singer/celebrity that most of us don't know or ever cared about.

They're gone now...and the world will be somewhat less/better for it.

I suppose.

:roll:
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:07 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

Blocked and Reported.

I'd like give my bipartisan support to this post.

His death at such a young age is tragic because he left us before he could figure out how to make good music.

I'd also offer bipartisan support to this, especially, if this ass-hat did us the favor of NOT having children (AKA "future wards of the state") before he departed this mortal coil.

And for the record, your neice should be greatful that you didn't drown her in the toilet. She probably deserves it.

As pennance, she should be forced to listen to 3 "Led Zepplin" albums (on vinyl) and 2 "Rush" albums. Also on vynil.

Amen.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:31 am

Blocked and Reported.

So if I'm reading this right..... You now have an extra piece of pie available?
Kress

Postby IronDog » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:20 am

Kress wrote:

Blocked and Reported.

No, cause I already claimed it.
IronDog

Postby Kress » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:40 am

IronDog wrote:
Kress wrote:

No, cause I already claimed it.

Something feels off about fighting over who gets to eat MJW's pie in a Grim death thread. So I'm out.
Kress

Postby The Outsider » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:45 am

I just threw up a little...
The Outsider

Postby IronDog » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Kress wrote:
IronDog wrote:No, cause I already claimed it.

Something feels off about fighting over who gets to eat MJW's pie in a Grim death thread. So I'm out.

We were fighting? Damn, I have to work on recognizing conflict. Sheesh.
IronDog

Postby Kress » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Pie.

Surrs Bidniz.
Kress

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Marty Balin - Jefferson Starship / Airship . He was 76 and had a generation listening to some decent very underrated music

RIP
Crocaneers

Postby IronDog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Do you have a reservation for my mother, Grim?
IronDog

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Paul Allen - cofounder Microsoft and owner of the Seattle SeaHawks

He was 65
Crocaneers

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 pm

RIP Dennis Hof -- brothel owner
Zarniwoop

Previous

Return to Off Topic