Anyone Invest in Stocks?

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Anyone Invest in Stocks?

Postby Hit55 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 am

With a fully funded emergency savings account finally set and a plan in place to fully pay off the remaining balance on my car and a budget in place for the lady and I to get a house, I recently decided to use some of my available money to start a stock market portfolio. Didn't start it with much, but after 3ish weeks, I've thrown at least $250 into it. My plan is to take a little bit out of each paycheck to set aside for investing. I'm not a day trader by any means and will likely hold onto my stocks for the long run.

That said, anyone else here invest? How does your portfolio look? Did you go with an investment firm or are you trading on your own? Any favorite companies you invest in? I've been using Robin Hood to buy stocks. All transactions are free and there are no fees for having an account. Plus, I didn't have to have a minimum of $1k to start. I pair it with the Stock Master app and A LOT of Google to keep my costs down. I like researching things, so diverting a lot of my free time into this is something I don't mind doing.
Hit55

Re: Anyone Invest in Stocks?

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 pm

Are you talking about a little bit of money here and there when you can and money you need to be able to get your hands on or dedicated retirement stuff?
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarniwoop

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:16 pm

Start a Roth with your company first.
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 pm

I do quite a fair bit of investing, though I really am an amateur. That said, about a month ago invested in a bunch marijuana stocks and have nearly tripled my money already.

I think the marijuana stock game is one to get into over the next 6 months. I was hoping to double my money by July (when Canada legalizes weed) but now I don't even know what the ceiling is as who knows how high they go in these next few months. For those interested, the stocks I have invested in are

Matica
Canopy
Aurora
Trueleaf
Revive
SupremePharma
real bucs fan

Postby NYBF » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I do quite a fair bit of investing, though I really am an amateur. That said, about a month ago invested in a bunch marijuana stocks and have nearly tripled my money already.

I think the marijuana stock game is one to get into over the next 6 months. I was hoping to double my money by July (when Canada legalizes weed) but now I don't even know what the ceiling is as who knows how high they go in these next few months. For those interested, the stocks I have invested in are

Matica
Canopy
Aurora
Trueleaf
Revive
SupremePharma

I'm on mobile now, so I'm not googling any of those, but one thing I've noticed about marijuana stocks - most of the companies I've seen have been penny stocks. When it comes to any penny stock, they are highly susceptible to manipulation. Any money you're investing there should be money you are fully prepared to lose. It's also not a bad idea once you see big gains to pull out your original investment and let the rest ride for "free".

Just my experience.
NYBF

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:34 pm

NYBF wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I do quite a fair bit of investing, though I really am an amateur. That said, about a month ago invested in a bunch marijuana stocks and have nearly tripled my money already.

Matica
Canopy
Aurora
Trueleaf
Revive
SupremePharma

I'm on mobile now, so I'm not googling any of those, but one thing I've noticed about marijuana stocks - most of the companies I've seen have been penny stocks. When it comes to any penny stock, they are highly susceptible to manipulation. Any money you're investing there should be money you are fully prepared to lose. It's also not a bad idea once you see big gains to pull out your original investment and let the rest ride for "free".

Just my experience.

I've got over 50% of my weed investment in Canopy and Aurora which are at about 30$ and 8$ respectively. From my research those are the big 2. Canopy is the favourite to be the Apple of weed, but Aurora is a darkhorse. The other ones are penny stocks, and am fully prepared to lose on that gamble. I think I'm just going to hold for now though I know the safe thing would be to sell half since they've doubled, but my other friends who put me on this investment are actually buying more. I'm content holding and then losing if they tank.
real bucs fan

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Start a Roth with your company first.

This
Crocaneers

Postby Cheb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Wisdom.

After that, buy boring S&P 500 funds. I'm a buy-and-hold investor myself, any day trader is fooling themselves. I recommend Vanguard because they have very low expense ratios.
Cheb

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Cheb wrote:

Wisdom.

After that, buy boring S&P 500 funds. I'm a buy-and-hold investor myself, any day trader is fooling themselves. I recommend Vanguard because they have very low expense ratios.

Second on the Vanguard. I had some great success the past 3 years in my Vanguard account.
bucfanclw

Postby Hit55 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:14 pm

I have a 403B and pension holdover from the job(s) I just left when I moved from New York. The place I'm at now offers a 401K. I've considered just rolling my funding over from the 403B and from what I've accumulated in my pension, both, to a Roth and taking the tax hit. I'm only 30 and each of those accounts were funded for approximately 2 years each, so I can't imagine it would have too much of a significant impact on what tax bracket I'd be a part of. My only regret is that I didn't start considering my retirement much sooner.

The girlfriend is preparing to start a Vanguard herself and has had a 403B her entire teaching career as well as a pension from her previous time teaching in Florida. I think we've found ourselves to be in a pretty good spot financially, which has allowed me to move forward with this decision to put a little bit of money here and there into a portfolio (for long-term holding).
Hit55

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 pm

Matica
Canopy
Aurora
Trueleaf
Revive
SupremePharma

I’ve been looking into weed stocks recently. Nice to hear you’re doing well with them.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:02 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Matica
Canopy
Aurora
Trueleaf
Revive
SupremePharma

I’ve been looking into weed stocks recently. Nice to hear you’re doing well with them.

I think there is major upside with the Canadian ones at least. Some say it will be like investing in Budweiser after prohibition.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:56 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Cheb wrote:
Wisdom.

Second on the Vanguard. I had some great success the past 3 years in my Vanguard account.

Seconded. My average return over the past five years is about 12%. Slow steady growth is the key for the average bear.
Cheb

Postby Deuce » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:59 am

Hit55 wrote:With a fully funded emergency savings account finally set and a plan in place to fully pay off the remaining balance on my car and a budget in place for the lady and I to get a house, I recently decided to use some of my available money to start a stock market portfolio. Didn't start it with much, but after 3ish weeks, I've thrown at least $250 into it. My plan is to take a little bit out of each paycheck to set aside for investing. I'm not a day trader by any means and will likely hold onto my stocks for the long run.

That said, anyone else here invest? How does your portfolio look? Did you go with an investment firm or are you trading on your own? Any favorite companies you invest in? I've been using Robin Hood to buy stocks. All transactions are free and there are no fees for having an account. Plus, I didn't have to have a minimum of $1k to start. I pair it with the Stock Master app and A LOT of Google to keep my costs down. I like researching things, so diverting a lot of my free time into this is something I don't mind doing.

Cool thread. I love talking about this stuff. I was in a similar position, I already put 12% into retirement, have a big emergency fund and some money in savings. I wanted to mess around a little with stocks so I opened a small Robinhood account, $400.

I started off with mostly penny stocks. Glu Mobile, Global Eagle Ent., and CPI Card Group were some of the ones I had hope in. Most of those went into the red and when I got close to even, I bailed. I was pretty confident Kroger would rebound after the Amazon news, so I bought 3 shares at around $20 each. I've gotten a 20% return on that. I also read the Reddit Robinhood page from time to time. Someone posted something about 22nd Century Group. I read up on it and liked everything I read, so I bought 10 shares for a total of $15.60. Today they are worth $29.80 (or a 91% return).

I've gotten out of everything but Kroger and 22nd Century. I've put the rest in Vanguard ETFs. I feel like I've been pretty fortunate to go from $400 to $430 in 6 months, a 7.5% return. Trading short-term can be fun and there's no high like a stock you've bought going up like 40% in one day but it's a GRIND. People who do this are reading news and making decisions all day, every day. And it's an emotional roller coaster.

What stocks are you getting into?
Deuce

Postby RedLeader » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Anyone try Acorns app? Automatically rounds up your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and invests the money in an investment portfolio type of your choosing.

App lets you see how the money is growing from there.

Thought it was pretty cool.

That said, surprised no one is talking crypto up in here.
RedLeader

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Matica
Canopy
Aurora
Trueleaf
Revive
SupremePharma

my boss walks by my office 2-3 times a day to tell me how much his weed stocks have gone up every day. He's got his money spread out over about 10-15 companies. Thinking about putting some of my fantasy football winnings in those. Hard to imagine, with the way the legislative dominoes are falling, that there's going to be any stop to the ride any time soon, it's only getting started
beardmcdoug

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

RedLeader wrote:Anyone try Acorns app? Automatically rounds up your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and invests the money in an investment portfolio type of your choosing.

Crypto is WAY too volatile because it's not really secured by much more than future promises of value transfer and perceived value. Don't put more into it than you're comfortable throwing away because it's a pretty big gamble in my opinion.
bucfanclw

Postby Kress » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Look at transport companies for natural gas. Kinder Morgan, Enterprise, Enbridge, Hyundai (They are building ships like crazy).
Kress

Postby NYBF » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 pm

The preceding message was brought to you by PG.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 pm

NYBF wrote:The preceding message was brought to you by PG.

I was thinking the same. The only thing missing was the reference to cardboard sales
Zarniwoop

Postby Kress » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Still true facts.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:43 pm

Kress wrote:Still true facts.

That rarely matters around here!
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm

Except about marsupials. We need more true facts about marsupials.

bucfanclw

Postby deltbucs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
RedLeader wrote:Anyone try Acorns app? Automatically rounds up your debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and invests the money in an investment portfolio type of your choosing.

Crypto is WAY too volatile because it's not really secured by much more than future promises of value transfer and perceived value. Don't put more into it than you're comfortable throwing away because it's a pretty big gamble in my opinion.

I just started doing cryopto a few weeks ago and I've been killing it. Started with $500 to play around...24 hours later I had throw another $500 into it. I've now invested 3k and I've doubled my money. Going to pull some back out at the end of the month.
deltbucs

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm

deltbucs wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:Crypto is WAY too volatile because it's not really secured by much more than future promises of value transfer and perceived value. Don't put more into it than you're comfortable throwing away because it's a pretty big gamble in my opinion.

I just started doing cryopto a few weeks ago and I've been killing it. Started with $500 to play around...24 hours later I had throw another $500 into it. I've now invested 3k and I've doubled my money. Going to pull some back out at the end of the month.

What do you use? I'm pretty ignorant to the whole thing, but have been getting intrigued.
Deja Entendu

Postby RedLeader » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:03 am

Yes. You definitely want to tread lightly, as clewy stated. But certainly worth at least dipping a toe if you can.. Hell, just buy a couple litecoins to have fun, and see what shakes out.

I would also very much recommend ‘Ripple’ right now, for that matter.

That said... ahem...

This is based on personal opinion and experience and should not be considered professional financial investment advice. Invest at your own risk. ;)
RedLeader

Postby deltbucs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
deltbucs wrote:I just started doing cryopto a few weeks ago and I've been killing it. Started with $500 to play around...24 hours later I had throw another $500 into it. I've now invested 3k and I've doubled my money. Going to pull some back out at the end of the month.

What do you use? I'm pretty ignorant to the whole thing, but have been getting intrigued.

I think we need a crypto thread...
deltbucs

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Looks like all the marijuana sticks are diving hard today because of the ending of Obama’s policy...all down 20%+
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:59 pm

BTW, the market hit 25K today
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Looks like all the marijuana sticks are diving hard today because of the ending of Obama’s policy...all down 20%+

Buy the dip and hold a while.
Mountaineer Buc

Next

Return to Off Topic