Competition for NFL?

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Competition for NFL?

Postby BigIrv9 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Many fans, like myself, are fans of the game of football and not of the NFL. Watching professional football on TV makes me cringe because I feel as though I’m supporting the NFL. I yearn for a league where defensive backs can lay out receivers, defensive ends can sack a QB, players can taunt, jeer and have a good time.

I recently saw an article on Breitbart News (I’ll try to post a link, but I’m not great at navigating this board). About McMahon, former owner of the now defunct XFL, starting a competitor to the NFL. My recollection of the USFL was that it was gaining steam until it was bought out by the NFL. Why couldn’t another league find a niche market of disenfranchised football fans (of which there are plenty) to support their product?

I love the Bucaneers and will always be a fan, but I would be so excited if a league existed which I could support with a clean conscience.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/12 ... fl-reboot/
BigIrv9

Re: Competition for NFL?

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Why does supporting the NFL bother your conscience?
PrimeMinister

Postby BigIrv9 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Why does supporting the NFL bother your conscience?

For political reasons. I don’t really want to make this thread about politics so I won’t go into it in depth. There’s plenty of subject material without without it.
BigIrv9

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:05 pm

The XFL tried and failed. The USFL tried and failed. The cfl can not hold the nfl's jock strap.

There are 3 main reasons why I do not see another league competing with the nfl at the moment:
1) The nfl generates too much money. With out the money, the other leagues do not have a chance.

2) The nfl will always have the better players, thus a better product. And the main reason for this is because of the nfl revenue it generates (reason #1)

3) I honestly think that the nfl/football that we all love to watch will become just about extinct in the next 15-20 years. I say this because I am starting to see the writing on the wall with all these injuries. More and more people are not allowing their children to play thus there will eventually be a smaller pool/less talent to chose from. On top of this, the rules of the NFL/football WILL HAVE TO CHANGE to make the game safer thus making the sport different/extinct.
Last edited by bahamian:bucfan on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:35 pm

The infrastructure of stadium and corporate support of sponsors would take a while to replicate. There is a reason that some people watch the the Super Bowl just for the commercials. Commercials that cost millions each. To both make and then buy air time. You can't just plop a competitor in there and have it work.

That being said, now that the concussion and CTE stuff is public knowledge to everyone, why can't the league go back to regular football? The players sign up to do this. They know the risks, but do it anyway in exchange for estate style money.

The most dangerous job in the world is underwater welder. If you touch the metal hull while the torch is on it, that's bad news. And you're underwater getting pushed around by currents. People still do it knowing the risks. For far less money.

Just let whoever is willing sign up play the game. It should be that simple.
Kress

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Kress wrote:The infrastructure of stadium and corporate support of sponsors would take a while to replicate. There is a reason that some people watch the the Super Bowl just for the commercials. Commercials that cost millions each. To both make and then buy air time. You can't just plop a competitor in there and have it work.

That being said, now that the concussion and CTE stuff is public knowledge to everyone, why can't the league go back to regular football? The players sign up to do this. They know the risks, but do it anyway in exchange for estate style money.

The most dangerous job in the world is underwater welder. If you touch the metal hull while the torch is on it, that's bad news. And you're underwater getting pushed around by currents. People still do it knowing the risks. For far less money.

I did not know this. What exactly makes it so dangerous? I would think that becuse they are in water using a torch, that it would actually be safe. Can you explain this to me please.
bahamian:bucfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Kress wrote:The infrastructure of stadium and corporate support of sponsors would take a while to replicate. There is a reason that some people watch the the Super Bowl just for the commercials. Commercials that cost millions each. To both make and then buy air time. You can't just plop a competitor in there and have it work.

Kress, for multiple reasons the NFL could never go back to how it was. Fans now know the damage these hits are doing and it affects enjoyment of the game. There is no walking that back. Unlike Ryan Shazier getting damn near paralyzed on MNF no one see the underwater welder kill himself with a blow torch.
PrimeMinister

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:59 pm

bahamian:bucfan wrote:

I did not know this. What exactly makes it so dangerous? I would think that becuse they are in water using a torch, that it would actually be safe. Can you explain this to me please.

http://www.weldinginfocenter.org/sci_tech/st_02.html
Kress

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:07 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Kress, for multiple reasons the NFL could never go back to how it was. Fans now know the damage these hits are doing and it affects enjoyment of the game. There is no walking that back. Unlike Ryan Shazier getting damn near paralyzed on MNF no one see the underwater welder kill himself with a blow torch.

People are heathens. We watched gladiators kill each other for sport. And then threw tigers in there to mess with their killing of each other. Because that made it more interesting.
Kress

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Kress wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

People are heathens. We watched gladiators kill each other for sport. And then threw tigers in there to mess with their killing of each other. Because that made it more interesting.

Yes people watched gladiators. Modern people didn’t. Right or wrong people view themselves as better people than the Romans. If we were like the Romans CTE wouldn’t mean ****.
PrimeMinister

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Romans threw some good orgies though
Zarniwoop

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:56 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Kress wrote:

Yes people watched gladiators. Modern people didn’t. Right or wrong people view themselves as better people than the Romans. If we were like the Romans CTE wouldn’t mean ****.

CTE doesn't mean **** to a lot of people. There are a lot of fans that stand on the side of these players are well compensated, in part, because of the risks. It is escapism and equivalent to watching gladiators fight, much like MMA or Boxing.

but I do agree there are enough people, sponsors, and the player's Union that will not allow the NFL to go back to the way it was. It will continue to become "safer" and more strict. The big hits will continue to be eliminated from the game.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:07 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

CTE doesn't mean **** to a lot of people. There are a lot of fans that stand on the side of these players are well compensated, in part, because of the risks. It is escapism and equivalent to watching gladiators fight, much like MMA or Boxing.

but I do agree there are enough people, sponsors, and the player's Union that will not allow the NFL to go back to the way it was. It will continue to become "safer" and more strict. The big hits will continue to be eliminated from the game.

Glad you brought up MMA. MMA is the closest we get to “gladiators” and it only appeals to a small subset of people (I’m one of them). The sport was just legalized in New York in 2016. Our society loves violence, but don’t openly admit it. If we were a society openly in love with violence like the Romans then MMA would be the most popular sport in the country rather than some niche sport over the last 25 years.

Football was the closest we got to openly enjoying violence without guilt, but CTE removes that. Hearing that players commit suicide because of brain damage is too much for the public to forget.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:09 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Glad you brought up MMA. MMA is the closest we get to “gladiators” and it only appeals to a small subset of people (I’m one of them). The sport was just legalized in New York in 2016. Our society loves violence, but don’t openly admit it. If we were a society openly in love with violence like the Romans then MMA would be the most popular sport in the country rather than some niche sport over the last 25 years.

Football was the closest we got to openly enjoying violence without guilt, but CTE removes that. Hearing that players commit suicide because of brain damage is too much for the public to forget.

For some of the public. As I said, there are a lot of people, maybe even a small majority, that either don't care about CTE/injuries or can rationalize it enough for "a better product".
uscbucsfan

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Kress wrote:

We watch UFC.... They are the gladiators of today that people watch because regular boxing wasn't violent enough. Tell me those guys aren't going to have some CTE problems later....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby NYBF » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Papa John's gonna be the title sponsor? Get the hell out of here with this ****.
NYBF

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 pm

The timing is no coincidence. Vince McMahon is seeing dollar signs right now with so much negativity and disdain surrounding the NFL, from political BS to over-regulated rules watering down the game and referees dictating outcomes. McMahon’s XFL was promoted on “less rules, less BS, more smash mouth football.”

With Vince McMahon being personal friends with President Trump and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, why wouldn’t he use his resources to possibly make a huge splash?

Make the league with less flags and the ability to hit high and low again and I think it might work. The main complaints of the NFL are obviously the kneeling of the anthem and the amount of penalties for too many big hits or just too many penalties period. I miss the old hard hitting NFL. Maybe there is a chance...
Phantom Phenom

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 pm

I think Vince has been hit with one too many chairs.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:44 pm

If we can first establish what is a catch, that would be progress.
Kress

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 pm

Crocaneers

Postby Deuce » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:08 am

I like to think that I'm a football fan and not just an NFL fan. Then I try to watch a game between no-name colleges or a CFL game where I don't know any of the players, coaches, etc.

Turns out I'm just an NFL fan.
Deuce

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 am

Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am

Crocaneers wrote:There is something in the air

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 70500.html

Competitive Spring/Summer Football Led by Highly Respected & Extremely Decorated Coaches

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We should have put together some schlop like that when we were all leaving Larry Land. "New Message Board Started by Highly Respected & Extremely Decorated Posters"
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Gonna need a new sponsor

NYBF

Postby Hit55 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:42 am

Going back to the XFL thing again, it looks like McMahon may be strongly considering getting back into the football business. He recently just sold off $100 million (about 3.34 million shares) in WWE stock to fund his new project: Alpha Entertainment. Alpha Entertainment, according to the article I read, is "geared to 'explore investment opportunities across the sports and entertainment landscapes, including professional football.'"

Along with the funding of this new project, McMahon (more specifically, Alpha Entertainment) "filed for five trademarks to "XFL" on December 16..."

"...This is in addition to McMahon recently filing additional football trademarks, which included "URFL", "United Football League", "UFL", and "For the love of football."

Sooo...ask and you may possibly receive. He's neither confirmed nor denied the possibility that it will return. But that certainly is a lot of trademarking around "football."

Source:
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... und-alpha/
Hit55

Postby Buc2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 am

Not that they were NFL competition, but I see the Storm have ceased operations. Arena football was the longest lived offshoot of professional football. Now there are only 4 or 5 teams left. Not sure they can make another comeback this time.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Kress » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 am

Maybe McMahon is making a run at the Panthers?
Kress

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Kress wrote:Maybe McMahon is making a run at the Panthers?

I think he wants a league, not a team. He cashed out at 100 million, and the Bucs were bought at 192 when the Glazers bought in. I think Richardson

Money [lost the link]
Despite the circumstances, the team could go for $2.5 billion to $2.8 billion, according to a source who has been involved in similar sales. Forbes magazine values the team at $2.3 billion, 21st among the 32 NFL clubs.

Yahoo Story on XFL Reboot
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/vince-mcma ... 19710.html
Crocaneers

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Crocaneers wrote:
Kress wrote:Maybe McMahon is making a run at the Panthers?

I think he wants a league, not a team. He cashed out at 100 million, and the Bucs were bought at 192 when the Glazers bought in. I think Richardson

Money [lost the link]
Despite the circumstances, the team could go for $2.5 billion to $2.8 billion, according to a source who has been involved in similar sales. Forbes magazine values the team at $2.3 billion, 21st among the 32 NFL clubs.

Yahoo Story on XFL Reboot
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/vince-mcma ... 19710.html

More like USFL
Phantom Phenom

Postby Swashy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:42 am

It's too bad Vince couldn't use that money to make WWE better. It's pathetic what it has devolved into.
Swashy

Next

Return to Off Topic