***OFFICIAL MENTAL ILLNESS F'ING SUCKS THREAD***

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
***OFFICIAL MENTAL ILLNESS F'ING SUCKS THREAD***

Postby Swashy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 am

I'm gonna level with everyone here. We give and take a ton of **** here because it's an internet message board and giving and taking **** is the purpose of it. It's no different than a breakfast diner serving eggs and bacon. But it's also a place for family and God knows some of us go back to the 90's and know each other personally.

And with that I want to say that so often we encounter mental illness be it our own, a family member, a friend or just seeing it out in the open world. In the spirit of family I want to make this thread for others like me who are affected daily by mental illness. Come here to share your horrors, success or a place to vent and get advice from those who have endured or those who endure their battles at the same time as you.

Last night my step-daughter was Baker Acted for the first time and I woke up this morning thinking I would take my shot making just a small sliver of space for someone else like me. As for me personally I'm fine. I have known through father's intuition to expect this day for the last 3 years. The sadness of losing her for now turns to relief because she will get the help she needs. As an RN I have seen a lot of stuff go down over the years but knowing that there's a team helping her now eases my spirits.

Please pray for her. She's only 10 years old as of 3 days ago and pray that this is the beginning of a new life for her. I know deep down this will likely have to happen again.

To make a long story short I can sum the bulk of her condition into my greatest fear... It's 7 AM a few years from now on a day like this. There's an earth shattering noise and I don't think anything of it but I got check it out because it woke me up. Eventually I notice my daughter is not in the house. I got outside and discover to my horror the car is gone too. I frantically search only to find she took the keys to my car, drove it and has badly injured herself in a crash. And then it comes time to ask, "What were you thinking?" she responds with that familiar cold stare "I don't know..." and does not divulge any motive nor form any rational explanation when questioned. We just get "OH MY GOD SHUT UP I DON'T KNOW OKAY?"

Now look I am acutely aware that this scenario jumps off the deep end but she does things improper for her age and the answer is always "I don't know" and I swear I could make a Terry Thread about all the examples. I'm convinced beyond all doubt that she is going to hurt herself like this one day and whatever the source of her lack of understanding, remorse of behavior and appropriate mental cognition is I pray that through counseling and proper med administration we may help her find balance.

I know this is vague but I've carried on long enough and can give better detail in other posts. I want to wrap this up by saying I encourage all members of the board who go through things like this now to open up to the arms of family.

Please share your stories here and know you're not alone. May this become a safe place for all of us and not just a place for my story alone.

Now if I can get Croc to spot me the number of 2nd Corinthians that escapes me right now "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"
Swashy

Re: ***OFFICIAL MENTAL ILLNESS F'ING SUCKS THREAD***

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 am

Mental illness is a very messy thing. I've been where you are, and I cannot reccomend working it out in this forum.

The emotions involved are very strong and I know you need to dump them somewhere. I'm telling you that the internet is not the best place to do it.

We are a community, and everyone here sympathize with what you're going through. Like I said, I've been there recently. We can offer support and share our similar stories, but you need to go to the pros.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:27 am

I want to respond in earnest to this, but I can't right now. Too much too soon. I'm sorry to hear of her troubles, but you have to know that therapy alone will not help. You can't out-talk a chemical or, more accurately, a neurotransmitter imbalance. It needs medication. I say that reluctantly, because I personally hate medication. Then again, most of us self-medicate all the time. It's what we do. A vicious cycle.

I wish you and your daughter the best. One thing: Don't be critical or blame her. That makes it worse. It increases agitation, which will drive her back to her "safe zone" behavior. That's the bad one. Just my .02.
Kress

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:39 am

Swash ...

This is never simple, and the best thing that could have happened was to get the help she needs .. Baker acting family is NEVER EVER easy .. this will be a long road for her, you, and her mom.

I do like MB's counsel in seeking some professional guidance. As much as we would love to pretend to sit at the same table, this one is a little bigger that glitzy words and a good feels. Both you and wife together should seek someone as she is dealing with a much deeper pain.

Having us trying to level set, and lean on would be like having a cure using "The Good Doctor", "Grey's Anatomy", or "Chicago Med". You are in the medical field, and as RN husband, understand. The fact that you were able to assess this comes from years of training, and being clinical. The mental side and the impact doesn't have patches, stitches, and bandages.

As for the verse .. (the Book is pretty good .. it truly will give you guidance, and it all ends really well!)

The one verse you quoted is Philippians 3:16.

2 Corinthians 12:9 says "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness".
Crocaneers

Postby Swashy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:41 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Mental illness is a very messy thing. I've been where you are, and I cannot reccomend working it out in this forum.

The emotions involved are very strong and I know you need to dump them somewhere. I'm telling you that the internet is not the best place to do it.

We are a community, and everyone here sympathize with what you're going through. Like I said, I've been there recently. We can offer support and share our similar stories, but you need to go to the pros.

That's fair enough. The latter of your statement was the main idea anyway, I know that someone here isn't going to bust in with a cure all solution but I confess it's a selfish motive for me to console another because I hate seeing a battle, offering support morally but then its kind of like maybe I shouldve stayed out because how could I know what they feel if I were not similarly affected. Good news is we're in the process of going to the pros. It may sound funny but in a way I can't believe we didn't realize we could not help the way she needs sooner.

God bless and protect your family MB
Swashy

Postby Zarniwoop » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 am

Hey bud, I’m so sorry to hear this. I hope everyone in your family, your daughter, you and your partner, can all get some relief here. I’m glad you are talking to people. They can help you deal with the emotional stuff. And I’m glad you are thinking of prayer to help you spiritually.

You know you’ve got some good friends here and we will all listen with no judgments in our hearts should you feel the need to open.

God bless Swash ... your family will be in my prayers
Zarniwoop

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Sorry to hear about this... My ex has been in and out of hospitals and stabilization units for years and my youngest son lives with her now. She checked herself into a hospital this week and he woke up with nobody home, no money in the house, and very little food there. He is 18 but still going to school and seems to have a handle on things so far but it sucks....

Mental illness sucks donkey balls
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 am

Swashy......................... " Be anxious for nothing but in everything by payer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." Phil 4:6

I humbly ask God to work another one of His miracles for your daughter and to strengthen you and your wife.

Unfortunately, I learnt two weeks ago exactly what the Baker Act is. My nephew who started Florida Atlantic in September; had an "episode" in which the police had to be called and he was hospitalized for mental issues. This was extremely frightening to say the lease! After a few days he was released but now he has to be "monitored".

Swashy through prayer ANYTHING is possible. But sometimes you need to go a bit deeper with FASTING! Like the Almighty said Himself, this kind can only be defeated with prayer AND fasting!

Isiah chapter 58 breaks down everything about fasting.

Please forgive me if I came off too "churchy" but I am a firm "knower" that anything can be accomplised with God involved.

As I continue to pray for my nephews mental well being; I will also add your daughter to this pray.

Take care.
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Kress » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 am

I hate to say stuff like this in this thread, but.... his fasting is going to help his step-daughter's mental health issues? Come on, dude. Be serious. You can't third-party placebo.
Kress

Return to Off Topic