Visiting Tampa from Oz

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Visiting Tampa from Oz

Postby Beaves Oz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Long time listener, first time caller......

Been a fan since 1995, very hard back then following the Bucs in Australia as we only had a 60min highlights package that would show the previous weeks games but absolutley love this team. I have to get up at 0400 on Monday mornings to watch the 1pm games so its a fairly big commitment getting international NFL gamepass. My missus is from Charlotte NC and we’re currently visting for xmas, I’ve put my foot down and am finally getting to see the guys at a home game. Have decided to go to the Lions game next week, was tossing up the Falcons monday nighter but I really want to experience a day game at Ray Jay.

Any suggestions on pre-game places to eat/drink/things to do near the stadium? Going to spend the night there so any other activities you locals would suggest would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Beaves
Beaves Oz

Re: Visiting Tampa from Oz

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:38 pm

Oz? What were you in for?
bucfanclw

Postby Beaves Oz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Got thrown in for being mentally unstable....... happens when you follow this team.....
Beaves Oz

Postby NYBF » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm

Cigar City Brewing is only a couple minutes from RayJay.
NYBF

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:53 pm

If it's a destination game for you from half a world away, don't bother with places nearby. They are all crappy restaurant chains anyway. (edit: except for NY's suggestion. Good call.)

Do a tailgate. Just immerse yourself in it. Get your own drinks, cook your own food on a barbie :D , and talk mad (good natured) **** to Lions fans.

Then get into the stadium early to watch the warmups. They are fun, because you get to see some personalities from the players. How they interact, get hyped up, etc.

Enjoy!

Out of curiosity, how are you getting here from Charlotte? That's a significant drive, if that's your plan. I don't know your location in OZ, but I'm assuming that this is an overnight trip if you're driving so maybe look at a hotel on St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach. Just a quick hop across the bridge from Tampa, but much more fun. The Gulf of Mexico is the only place on the U.S. east coast where you can watch the sun set into the water.
Kress

Postby Beaves Oz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Cheers for the info Kress.

We’re driving down from Charlotte next Friday and staying at the inlaws time share in Kissamee (gonna do Orlando the following week). The drive will be nothing compared to todays flights, currently sitting in LAX, have been travelling for 25 hours thus far and still got a 5 hour flight to go.......

Game day we’ll head to Tampa early from Kissamee and stay the night (we’ll have our 6.5yr old boy with us). Tailgating will be a pain in the a$$ as I dont have any cook out gear over here in the states, I thought there might be somewhere nearby that does a paid catered tailgate set up where they provide the food or something?? All good, im honestly just stoked to be able to go to a home game. Got the xmas eve game up in Charlotte to go to but I have a suspicion we’ll get our asses handed to us that game.......
Beaves Oz

Postby Buc2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Beaves Oz wrote:Cheers for the info Kress.

We’re driving down from Charlotte next Friday and staying at the inlaws time share in Kissamee (gonna do Orlando the following week). The drive will be nothing compared to todays flights, currently sitting in LAX, have been travelling for 25 hours thus far and still got a 5 hour flight to go.......

Game day we’ll head to Tampa early from Kissamee and stay the night (we’ll have our 6.5yr old boy with us). Tailgating will be a pain in the a$$ as I dont have any cook out gear over here in the states, I thought there might be somewhere nearby that does a paid catered tailgate set up where they provide the food or something?? All good, im honestly just stoked to be able to go to a home game. Got the xmas eve game up in Charlotte to go to but I have a suspicion we’ll get our asses handed to us that game.......

I live in Lynchburg, Virginia and will be going to that game in Charlotte as well. My company has a warehouse located there and they let me have their season tix for that game. I'll be driving down with my daughter the day of the game. If you're interested in meeting up, even for nothing more than to say, hey, to a fellow Bucs fan, shoot me a PM (private messaging is found under the User Panel at the top of the page) and I'll share some more details.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Beaves Oz wrote:Game day we’ll head to Tampa early from Kissamee and stay the night (we’ll have our 6.5yr old boy with us). Tailgating will be a pain in the a$$ as I dont have any cook out gear over here in the states, I thought there might be somewhere nearby that does a paid catered tailgate set up where they provide the food or something?? All good, im honestly just stoked to be able to go to a home game. Got the xmas eve game up in Charlotte to go to but I have a suspicion we’ll get our asses handed to us that game.......

I agree with doing a tailgate pre-game. There are various food vendors along Himes Avenue on gameday and since you're not setting up your own tailgate and looking to join one with other fans I'd recommend looking into the WhatTheBuc tailgate off of Ohio Avenue (just East of RayJay), you can go to Whatthebuc.net for more information. For $20 you get all the food and drinks you want (including beer and rum or vodka cocktails). It sounds like exactly what you're looking for. WTB has been doing this tailgate before every home game for years and it's pretty ideal for out of towners looking to tailgate and enjoy the Bucs gameday experience with the local die-hards. See the image below from the most recent WTB home game tailgate.

There are some nice (non-chain) type restaurants near the stadium for after the game. Ulele is favorite of mine, The Columbia is also a nice unique Tampa experience (both are family friendly). Both are a short cab/uber ride from the Stadium and right near the Ybor/Downtown area where you'll find some additional nightlife and watering holes.

Last edited by DreadNaught on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the WTB tailgate info. What DN said ^^

And make sure whatever booze you're drinking you buy the night before.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm

NYBF wrote:

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the WTB tailgate info. What DN said ^^

And make sure whatever booze you're drinking you buy the night before.

Yup, can't buy alcohol before 11am on Sundays here. The WTB tailgate will have alcohol, but it's always nice to bring a fifth for your hip pocket. :drinkingdrunk:
DreadNaught

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Beaves Oz wrote:The drive will be nothing compared to todays flights, currently sitting in LAX, have been travelling for 25 hours thus far and still got a 5 hour flight.

That flight is a bitch. You watch the sun come up and down, sometimes twice, depending upon when you left, but then land at an earlier time than when you left because you crossed the date line in the process. When we came back from New Zealand, we left on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. We flew for 12 1/2 hours. We then landed in L.A. at 11:00 Sunday morning. That messes with you a bit. Then you are in LAX, which is perpetually 45 degrees for some unknown reason, and still have 5 hours to go. Ugh.
Kress

Postby Buc You » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Kress wrote: The Gulf of Mexico is the only place on the U.S. east coast where you can watch the sun set into the water.

I've never actually thought about/realized that, I've just taken it for granted having lived here all my life.
Buc You

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Mona Venus is always fun and right down the street from the stadium . Might want the missus to stay home tho .. :)
Jason Bourne

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Buc You wrote:
Kress wrote: The Gulf of Mexico is the only place on the U.S. east coast where you can watch the sun set into the water.

I've never actually thought about/realized that, I've just taken it for granted having lived here all my life.

You can go to the east coast, watch the sun rise over the water, and then drive just a couple of hours and watch it set on the water in the same day. I've never done it, but cool concept for any place that isn't an island.
Kress

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Kress wrote:
Buc You wrote:I've never actually thought about/realized that, I've just taken it for granted having lived here all my life.

You can go to the east coast, watch the sun rise over the water, and then drive just a couple of hours and watch it set on the water in the same day. I've never done it, but cool concept for any place that isn't an island.

I actually did that on the last day of my honeymoon. Watched the sun rise on the beach in Hilton Head, SC and then watched it set from the Palm Pavilion that evening.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:03 pm

I watched the sun never set summer before last on our overnight flight from Baltimore to London via Reykjavik.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:41 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Kress wrote:

I actually did that on the last day of my honeymoon. Watched the sun rise on the beach in Hilton Head, SC and then watched it set from the Palm Pavilion that evening.

Our daughter has that on her bucket list .. watching the same sun rise that sets .... Florida is a very unique way to deliver that. We are thinking St Augustine AM and then ride to either Cedar Key or Tampa depending .. it's harder in the winter, but the sunsets are so much more rich with the sky
Crocaneers

Postby Beaves Oz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

So the whatthebuc guys are always at the same spot for every game? That option is looking to be the most viable for me tbh.
Beaves Oz

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 pm

Beaves Oz wrote:So the whatthebuc guys are always at the same spot for every game? That option is looking to be the most viable for me tbh.

Yes, same place every game.
DreadNaught

Postby Beaves Oz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Looking at tickets online for that Lions game, the lower bowl and club seats behind the boys bench are really where I wanna try for but they’re obviously pretty expensive. I am not prepared to get shithouse seats though, first home game is a pretty special event for me.
Beaves Oz

Postby Babeinbucland » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 pm

I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time!!! By the way, bring sunscreen to the game :) and purchase any little souvenir your little heart desires. Scream wildly for this once in a lifetime opportunity. Stay after for autographs and take lots of pics! Make sure you walk up on the pirate deck, record the cannons on your phone and get someone to take a pic of you outside the stadium!!! I am cheering for you from over here to have the time of your life!!
Babeinbucland

Postby Buc2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:52 am

Beaves Oz wrote:Looking at tickets online for that Lions game, the lower bowl and club seats behind the boys bench are really where I wanna try for but they’re obviously pretty expensive. I am not prepared to get shithouse seats though, first home game is a pretty special event for me.

Honestly, there are few shithouse seats in this stadium imo. Even the upper deck, sideline seats are good.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:35 am

Beaves Oz wrote:Looking at tickets online for that Lions game, the lower bowl and club seats behind the boys bench are really where I wanna try for but they’re obviously pretty expensive. I am not prepared to get shithouse seats though, first home game is a pretty special event for me.

You'll be able to find lower bowl (100's) tickets without a problem for not much over face value if you want to buy them online from a site like NFL ticket exchange or other 3rd party (stubhub, etc). I'd wait til the night before or even the morning of the game when fans selling them online are desperate to unload them.

Or you could always take some cash with you and buy some the day of. The Lions game won't be in high demand so I'd bet you could get them under face value if you're really trying to save the most $. But since you'll be there with you're wife and kid you may not want to have the worry of having to scalp tickets on gameday, but you'd probably save yourself about $20 per ticket scalping the day of vs buying online right before.

Either way, plenty of tickets will be available with the only markup being 3rd party handling/transaction fees that are charged by the websites.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 am

Buc2 wrote:

Honestly, there are few shithouse seats in this stadium imo. Even the upper deck, sideline seats are good.

Tbh, w/ the video boards the lower bowl EndZone seats are nice also. Sucks when the action in on the opposite end, but that's when the video boards are really nice. But yeah, not many bad seats. Even in the 3rd deck (300's) as long as your seated between the 20yd lines and within the first 10-15 rows it's a good seat and nice perspective.

FYI - The team enters/exits from the 118/119 sections (SW corner) and if you're getting there early enough for pre-game intros it's the best spot imo (the SW corner is also the first to receive shade as the sun sets).
Stay away from sections in the Southeast corner since that is normally where the heaviest concentration of opposing fans are. In fact avoid the East side altogether since it's a 1pm kickoff.
DreadNaught

Postby Beaves Oz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Cheers for the advice guys, really appreciate it hey. Definetley going to head to the WTB tail gate in the morning of the game. Just easier I think to do that an be around like minded fans, i have been to a tail gate in Charlotte a few years ago for a Panthers game. I love the experience as in Australia we don’t really tail gate as you are not allowed to drink in public especially at stadium car parks. I am a huge Rugby League fan (the 13 man game, Jarryd Hayne fame) and a few of our stadiums don’t even have car parks as they have train stations nearby. We just all head to a pub before the game and warm up there. I really love the passion and effort sports fans in the US have for their teams and wish we could do the same but in all honesty most aussies cant be trusted to do the right thing and act responsibily. Probably a throwback to our convict heritage......we are also a pretty lazy bunch and the effort required to put on a good spread is generally above what the average fan is prepared to do. We like to think we aussies are good fans but we don’t generally have the passion or commitment fans in the US have.

Hardest decision is what jersey to wear to the game. I have a Sapp Mitchell and Ness creamsicle throwback and just bought a Lynch 02-03 throwback (still our best jersey). Leaning towards the Lynch but I still love our retro/old school gear. I absolutley detest the new jersey and branding the team are currently using. I have a Winston jersey but I don’t have much passion towards it as the new jersey is a mess and look something akin to an Arena League team......
Beaves Oz

Postby NYBF » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Wear the Winston to the tailgate. If you get sloppy drunk and drop something on it, you won't mind. Bring the Lynch with you in a bag, and put it on before you walk into the stadium.
NYBF

Postby Beaves Oz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 pm

NYBF wrote:Wear the Winston to the tailgate. If you get sloppy drunk and drop something on it, you won't mind. Bring the Lynch with you in a bag, and put it on before you walk into the stadium.

If I wear the Winston, will there be crabs legs at the tailgate??........ missus might have to watch out as well...... ;-P
Beaves Oz

Postby Selmon Rules » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:14 pm

We went to the Saints game a few years back (the game we lost and ended up with pick #1) and sat in end zone under the ship.... Will be in same area for this years Saints game as well. If it's like last time, we ended up in front row....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Beaves Oz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

I take it the paddock across from the WTB tailgate is open for paid parking on game day?? Is there anywhere else around that area that anyone would recomend to park for a decent price? I assusme the site of the old Sombrero is also parking as well yeah? Only a week today so Im getting a little excited.....
Beaves Oz

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:20 am

Beaves Oz wrote:Cheers for the advice guys, really appreciate it hey. Definetley going to head to the WTB tail gate in the morning of the game. Just easier I think to do that an be around like minded fans, i have been to a tail gate in Charlotte a few years ago for a Panthers game. I love the experience as in Australia we don’t really tail gate as you are not allowed to drink in public especially at stadium car parks. I am a huge Rugby League fan (the 13 man game, Jarryd Hayne fame) and a few of our stadiums don’t even have car parks as they have train stations nearby. We just all head to a pub before the game and warm up there. I really love the passion and effort sports fans in the US have for their teams and wish we could do the same but in all honesty most aussies cant be trusted to do the right thing and act responsibily. Probably a throwback to our convict heritage......we are also a pretty lazy bunch and the effort required to put on a good spread is generally above what the average fan is prepared to do. We like to think we aussies are good fans but we don’t generally have the passion or commitment fans in the US have.

Hardest decision is what jersey to wear to the game. I have a Sapp Mitchell and Ness creamsicle throwback and just bought a Lynch 02-03 throwback (still our best jersey). Leaning towards the Lynch but I still love our retro/old school gear. I absolutley detest the new jersey and branding the team are currently using. I have a Winston jersey but I don’t have much passion towards it as the new jersey is a mess and look something akin to an Arena League team......

Will you please teach those fans how to chant?
mdb1958

Next

Return to Off Topic