Switch to full style
General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Post a reply

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 am

A People's History of the United States

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 pm

Growing tired of the Dexter series, have about 50 pages left in the fourth book and it's become a drag.

Picked up Red Dragon and am excited to start that series.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Growing tired of the Dexter series, have about 50 pages left in the fourth book and it's become a drag.

Picked up Red Dragon and am excited to start that series.


I can't remember if you're this far yet, but at some point the author ****s the bed by revealing that the nature of Dexter's insanity is really
Spoiler:
some dumbass literal demon that's inside his soul, like in The Exorcist."
If you've hit that point and you're still reading, you're a masochist. If you haven't, read the spoiler and then stop reading the series once you do.

The Red Dragon books were great. Well, mostly. Red Dragon was solid. Much better than the film of the same name (though "Manhunter" with Brian Cox was good.) Silence Of The Lambs is excellent. A lot of people hated Hannibal but I thought it was bonkers. And you should stop there, because Hannibal Rising is a dumpster fire.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Growing tired of the Dexter series, have about 50 pages left in the fourth book and it's become a drag.

Picked up Red Dragon and am excited to start that series.


I can't remember if you're this far yet, but at some point the author ****s the bed by revealing that the nature of Dexter's insanity is really
Spoiler:
some dumbass literal demon that's inside his soul, like in The Exorcist."
If you've hit that point and you're still reading, you're a masochist. If you haven't, read the spoiler and then stop reading the series once you do.

The Red Dragon books were great. Well, mostly. Red Dragon was solid. Much better than the film of the same name (though "Manhunter" with Brian Cox was good.) Silence Of The Lambs is excellent. A lot of people hated Hannibal but I thought it was bonkers. And you should stop there, because Hannibal Rising is a dumpster fire.

lol ya have gotten there. I didn't really mind that to be honest, but the quality of the books fell off a cliff around that point, so perhaps it's not a coincidence. I really am struggling to finish the 4th book, am quite tempted to ditch it and start Red Dragon.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue May 22, 2018 11:23 pm

You want gritty, down to earth whodunnits? Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

You want oddball PI with a supernatural twist? Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

High Fantasy your style? Stormlight Archive by Branden Sanderson.

Feel like investing a few years into something not called Game of Thrones? Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Want a thought provoking sci-fi/fantasy mix for the summer? Olympos/Illium by Dan Sanders.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue May 22, 2018 11:28 pm

What about first person narrative serial killer books?

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am

That’s not my bag.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 am

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed May 30, 2018 4:21 pm

Rocker wrote:You want gritty, down to earth whodunnits? Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

You want oddball PI with a supernatural twist? Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

High Fantasy your style? Stormlight Archive by Branden Sanderson.

Feel like investing a few years into something not called Game of Thrones? Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Want a thought provoking sci-fi/fantasy mix for the summer? Olympos/Illium by Dan Sanders.


You and I have very similar taste in fiction books.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed May 30, 2018 4:24 pm

MJW wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I quit after Rant. I was going to read Pygmy, but your review was less than stellar and I haven’t been back since. Survivor and Fight Club are still among my favorites all-time.


Good memory!, and yes, my review stands. Pygmy was crap. Although looking at Chuck's bibliography, it was one of his BETTER efforts of the last decade. Like...since Rant...it might be the best.

I loved so many of those early books - Fight Club, Survivor, Lullaby, Choke...I probably mentioned that "Rant" is my favorite of his, though I know I'm in a really small minority with that one. So, I keep reading them in hopes that he'll rediscover that magic. If a guy isn't a brilliant writer, he's probably never going to grow into a brilliant writer. But if a guy is capable of brilliance, I think he always will be, even if he loses his way.

I'll letchya know on this one.


What's the verdict?

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed May 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Just finished Hillbilly Elergy by JD Vance. Great for those who love American and family history.
Just started A Girl with Seven Names

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed May 30, 2018 10:47 pm

Halfway through Red Dragon and it's friggin brilliant.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Image

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 am

Nice picture.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:57 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
MJW wrote:
Good memory!, and yes, my review stands. Pygmy was crap. Although looking at Chuck's bibliography, it was one of his BETTER efforts of the last decade. Like...since Rant...it might be the best.

I loved so many of those early books - Fight Club, Survivor, Lullaby, Choke...I probably mentioned that "Rant" is my favorite of his, though I know I'm in a really small minority with that one. So, I keep reading them in hopes that he'll rediscover that magic. If a guy isn't a brilliant writer, he's probably never going to grow into a brilliant writer. But if a guy is capable of brilliance, I think he always will be, even if he loses his way.

I'll letchya know on this one.


What's the verdict?


I'm curious as well. I stopped reading him after Snuff. I bought Damned, but just never got going. I also have Make Something Up by my bedside right now... it's sat there with the first Dexter for months untouched.

I loved his first six, with Survivor being my favorite (at the time... I want to revisit it). Haunted was ok, and I like Rant better than I thought I was going to going in. Pygmy I loved the concept, and then I looked at the first page and just couldn't do it.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Wishbone Classics version of The Odyssey. I've read about 90% of it to my daughter and IDK if it's reverse psychology or if she's genuinely interested but now she's reading it to me. Finally... FINALLY I have the kid willingly reading a book that's at her level.

Meh let's just call it effective parenting

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Just starting this one. I’m really looking forward to it.

Image

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:A People's History of the United States


I have yet to read this one, but I’ve heard only great things about it.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:A People's History of the United States


I have yet to read this one, but I’ve heard only great things about it.


It is great. I use it in class every so often.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 am

Am now on The Silence of the Lambs and my God, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a book series as much as this one thus far. Can't believe it took me this long to read it, I think my familiarity with the movies deterred me for some reason.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am

real bucs fan wrote:Am now on The Silence of the Lambs and my God, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a book series as much as this one thus far. Can't believe it took me this long to read it, I think my familiarity with the movies deterred me for some reason.



Are they really that good?!..same thing here, I was never interested in reading them because of the movies..

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Am now on The Silence of the Lambs and my God, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a book series as much as this one thus far. Can't believe it took me this long to read it, I think my familiarity with the movies deterred me for some reason.



Are they really that good?!..same thing here, I was never interested in reading them because of the movies..

Red Dragon starts off a bit slowly as everything gets set up, but once you get into the thick of it, it is just tremendous writing. The flashback into the Red Dragons childhood is some of the most haunting stuff I've ever read.

Silence of the Lambs on the other hand dives right into it and right off the bat you are in the midst of a great story. And I'd say I find Clarice Starling more interesting a character than Will Graham.

I'm a big fan of investigation novels and serial killers so it's right up my alley, but the quality of writing is truly excellent. If you enjoyed the films I can't see you not liking the books (though I can only speak to the first 2 so far).

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Just started Abundance: The future is better than you think by Peter Diamandis.

The premise is that technology has throughout human history steadily improved the quality of life in the world and in the last 100 years has vaulted someone in relative poverty in the first world to a lifestyle beyond the most powerful people alive 100 years ago and now it is expanding globally.

I'm 2 chapters in, but I liked the observation that a guy in Nigeria with a smartphone now has greater information and communication ability than President Reagan did.

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:18 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Super K wrote:

Are they really that good?!..same thing here, I was never interested in reading them because of the movies..

Red Dragon starts off a bit slowly as everything gets set up, but once you get into the thick of it, it is just tremendous writing. The flashback into the Red Dragons childhood is some of the most haunting stuff I've ever read.

Silence of the Lambs on the other hand dives right into it and right off the bat you are in the midst of a great story. And I'd say I find Clarice Starling more interesting a character than Will Graham.

I'm a big fan of investigation novels and serial killers so it's right up my alley, but the quality of writing is truly excellent. If you enjoyed the films I can't see you not liking the books (though I can only speak to the first 2 so far).


Thanks man, appreciate the insight...think I'm gonna give them a whirl..

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Red Dragon starts off a bit slowly as everything gets set up, but once you get into the thick of it, it is just tremendous writing. The flashback into the Red Dragons childhood is some of the most haunting stuff I've ever read.

Silence of the Lambs on the other hand dives right into it and right off the bat you are in the midst of a great story. And I'd say I find Clarice Starling more interesting a character than Will Graham.

I'm a big fan of investigation novels and serial killers so it's right up my alley, but the quality of writing is truly excellent. If you enjoyed the films I can't see you not liking the books (though I can only speak to the first 2 so far).


Thanks man, appreciate the insight...think I'm gonna give them a whirl..

I should also add, since I didn't mention it (as I assumed it was obvious), but Hannibal Lecter is truly one of the great villains in fiction. Every chapter that features him is absolutely captivating. And it should be noted he has much more of a presence in SOTL than RD. About halfway through SOTL now, and it is emerging as one of my favourite books ever I think.
Post a reply