"What are you reading?" thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm reading American Psycho for a 2nd time. Obviously it is deeply disturbing, but oddly an incredibly easy and enjoyable writing style. Am a big fan of Bret Easton-Ellis.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 am

real bucs fan wrote:I'm reading American Psycho for a 2nd time. Obviously it is deeply disturbing, but oddly an incredibly easy and enjoyable writing style. Am a big fan of Bret Easton-Ellis.

There's a moment, late in the book, when Ellis tips his hand about whether or not Bateman is imagining the whole thing. It's a single sentence I believe.

Spoiler:
When he finds a bone in his Dove bar. Unlike the other insanity, he'd have no control over that, and there's no way it really could have happened. It strongly indicated to me that the events of the book were a delusion.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:52 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I'm reading American Psycho for a 2nd time. Obviously it is deeply disturbing, but oddly an incredibly easy and enjoyable writing style. Am a big fan of Bret Easton-Ellis.

There's a moment, late in the book, when Ellis tips his hand about whether or not Bateman is imagining the whole thing. It's a single sentence I believe.

Spoiler:
When he finds a bone in his Dove bar. Unlike the other insanity, he'd have no control over that, and there's no way it really could have happened. It strongly indicated to me that the events of the book were a delusion.

I read it a decade ago, so don't recall. Won't click on that spoiler just yet!
real bucs fan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:21 am

Rage by Stephen King (1977)

The first novel published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman, Rage is a notorious novel for King — though not exactly for the best of reasons. The book explores a school shooting and is commonly associated with actual incidents that took place in the ’80s and ’90s. King has said it was “a good thing” that Rage went out of print back in 2007, going so far as to say that if the book were published today he’d be labeled “mentally ill.”
Phantom Phenom

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am

The Outsider wrote:I just finished Fire and Fury which was kind of disappointing as there is nothing really big in the book. It kind of just paints a picture of almost everyone being completely out of their depth.

I'm now getting in to Oathborn by Sanderson as I got side tracked before that came out as I didn't realize there was a whole other Mistborn trilogy that is out. Those were really, really good.

**** Fire & Fury. I wouldn't spend a dime to enrich this guy. Maybe if Wolff changed the names in his book and marketed the book as a work of fiction, I'd read it. Doubtful, but maybe.

While he didn't specifically name Haley in his book, he made sure it was understood who he was talking about.

NEW YORK — Nikki Haley became a trusted member of Donald Trump’s inner circle over the past year, but she's recently re-familiarized herself with a downside of professional success: rumors of an affair, this time with the president of the United States.

Trump’s ambassador to the United Nations calls the chatter “highly offensive” and “disgusting,” the result of what happens far too often to strong women. The online speculation was instigated by “Fire and Fury” author Michael Wolff, who dropped hints on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher” last week when he said he was “absolutely sure” Trump is having an affair — just not sure enough to write about it in his book. Wolff went on to say that discriminating readers would be able to determine the president's paramour by giving his book a close reading: “Now that I've told you, when you hit that paragraph, you're gonna say, 'Bingo.'”

Readers quickly homed in on a single sentence in the runaway bestseller, which has been criticized for everything from sloppy copy editing to gross factual inaccuracies. Wolff writes, “The president had been spending a notable amount of private time with Haley on Air Force One and was seen to be grooming her for a national political future.”

“It is absolutely not true,” Haley said, arguing that Wolff not only has his facts wrong, but that his insinuation is similar to other attacks that she and other successful women have faced when they've been forced to swat down suggestions they've slept their way to the top.

“I have literally been on Air Force One once and there were several people in the room when I was there,” she said in an interview Thursday for POLITICO’s Women Rule podcast, referring to a flight from Washington to Long Island in late July. “He says that I’ve been talking a lot with the president in the Oval about my political future. I’ve never talked once to the president about my future and I am never alone with him.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... icy-370851
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm

For you libertarian minded folks ... just re-read Frederic Bastiat's "The Law".

Awesome book.

You can find it free here: https://mises.org/sites/default/files/thelaw.pdf

About 50 pages of actual text.

Summary from WIki:

In The Law, Bastiat says "each of us has a natural right – from God – to defend his person, his liberty, and his property." The State is a "substitution of a common force for individual forces" to defend this right. The law becomes perverted when it is used to violate the rights of the individual, when it punishes one's right to defend himself against a collective effort of others to legislatively enact laws which basically have the same effect of plundering.

Justice has precise limits but philanthropy is limitless and government can grow endlessly when that becomes its function. The resulting statism is "based on this triple hypothesis: the total inertness of mankind, the omnipotence of the law, and the infallibility of the legislator." The relationship between the public and the legislator becomes "like the clay to the potter." Bastiat says, "I do not dispute their right to invent social combinations, to advertise them, to advocate them, and to try them upon themselves, at their own expense and risk. But I do dispute their right to impose these plans upon us by law – by force – and to compel us to pay for them with our taxes."[2]
Zarniwoop

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:29 am

MJW wrote:

Spoiler:

I dunno... I think there are a few instances where it's clear Bateman is delusional and hallucinating, and I think there are things that really happened and things he imagined. The cab driver who robs him for instance, clearly believes Patrick killed his friend. And I think the idea that he just imagined it all is too far fetched. He's able to be relatively functional so I think the vast majority is real.

The part I thought you were referring to was when his lawyer says definitively that he had lunch with Paul Owen in London. Combined with Owens apartment being sold and no bodies being found certainly suggests that that crime at least was imagined.

There's no doubt that Bateman is an unreliable narrator.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:55 pm

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos

I'm not much for 'self-help' books, but I've been a big fan of Dr. Peterson since his original appearance on the JRE podcast over a year ago.

In an era of unprecedented change and polarizing politics, his frank and refreshing message about the value of individual responsibility and ancient wisdom has resonated around the world.

In this book, he provides twelve profound and practical principles for how to live a meaningful life, from setting your house in order before criticising others to comparing yourself to who you were yesterday, not someone else today. Happiness is a pointless goal, he shows us. Instead we must search for meaning, not for its own sake, but as a defence against the suffering that is intrinsic to our existence.

Drawing on vivid examples from the author's clinical practice and personal life, cutting edge psychology and philosophy, and lessons from humanity's oldest myths and stories, 12 Rules for Life offers a deeply rewarding antidote to the chaos in our lives: eternal truths applied to our modern problems.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm

DreadNaught wrote:12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos

I'm not much for 'self-help' books, but I've been a big fan of Dr. Peterson since his original appearance on the JRE podcast over a year ago.

In an era of unprecedented change and polarizing politics, his frank and refreshing message about the value of individual responsibility and ancient wisdom has resonated around the world.

In this book, he provides twelve profound and practical principles for how to live a meaningful life, from setting your house in order before criticising others to comparing yourself to who you were yesterday, not someone else today. Happiness is a pointless goal, he shows us. Instead we must search for meaning, not for its own sake, but as a defence against the suffering that is intrinsic to our existence.

Drawing on vivid examples from the author's clinical practice and personal life, cutting edge psychology and philosophy, and lessons from humanity's oldest myths and stories, 12 Rules for Life offers a deeply rewarding antidote to the chaos in our lives: eternal truths applied to our modern problems.

me neither but **** it, I might pick it up
beardmcdoug

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:40 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Spoiler:

I dunno... I think there are a few instances where it's clear Bateman is delusional and hallucinating, and I think there are things that really happened and things he imagined. The cab driver who robs him for instance, clearly believes Patrick killed his friend. And I think the idea that he just imagined it all is too far fetched. He's able to be relatively functional so I think the vast majority is real.

The part I thought you were referring to was when his lawyer says definitively that he had lunch with Paul Owen in London. Combined with Owens apartment being sold and no bodies being found certainly suggests that that crime at least was imagined.

Probably my favorite book. Also love the movie, and really enjoyed the Broadway show -- shame that didn't stick around.

I've always shared your take: some was real and some things were delusions as he spiraled into psychosis. I believe Ellis has insinuated the same.

I'll have to pick that up again soon.
Last edited by Deja Entendu on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Coincidentally, I just started reading the Dexter series. I swear it's a coincidence and I'm not a blood thirsty sociopath!

I recently binged on the TV show, and I wasn't ready to let it go; so I ordered a set of the 8 novels on Amazon. I hate good bye!
Deja Entendu

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:47 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:

me neither but **** it, I might pick it up

***s
Zarniwoop

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I dunno... I think there are a few instances where it's clear Bateman is delusional and hallucinating, and I think there are things that really happened and things he imagined. The cab driver who robs him for instance, clearly believes Patrick killed his friend. And I think the idea that he just imagined it all is too far fetched. He's able to be relatively functional so I think the vast majority is real.

Probably my favorite book. Also love the movie, and really enjoyed the Broadway show -- shame that didn't stick around.

I've always shared your take: some was real and some things were delusions as he spiraled into psychosis. I believe Ellis has insinuated the same.

I'll have to pick that up again soon.

Probably my favourite book too. Only book I've read twice! It's slightly embarrassing to bring up due to it's reputation, but it truly is a masterful piece of writing.

Picked up another Easton-Ellis book, "Glamorama" today. Have read American Pscho (twice), Lunar Park, and Less Than Zero, really enjoyed them all, so looking forward to this one.

Look forward to your thoughts on the Dexter series, have always been curious about them due to my interest in Serial Killers and enjoyed the show (mostly).
real bucs fan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Coincidentally, I just started reading the Dexter series. I swear it's a coincidence and I'm not a blood thirsty sociopath!

I recently binged on the TV show, and I wasn't ready to let it go; so I ordered a set of the 8 novels on Amazon. I hate good bye!

I'm ready to start the second book myself. Very encouraged that they will seem to veer off into completely different stories than the TV series as there are some major differences between Season 1 and Book 1.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:46 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:Coincidentally, I just started reading the Dexter series. I swear it's a coincidence and I'm not a blood thirsty sociopath!

I'm ready to start the second book myself. Very encouraged that they will seem to veer off into completely different stories than the TV series as there are some major differences between Season 1 and Book 1.

That is encouraging. I heard that the books go a different direction after the first one, but I was actually worried I'd stall getting through the first one if it was too similar to the show.
Deja Entendu

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 pm

I like the description of it. I’ll check it out and post back here, thanks.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Just started “How to Kill a City: Gentrification, Inequality, and the Fight for the Neighborhood”. Two chapters in and it’s a decent overview of gentrification so far. If he covers both the good and bad of gentrification it could turn out to be good.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:45 am

Have gotten into the Dexter series myself, finished the 2nd book last night. Really enjoying them, pretty much check all the fiction boxes for me.. serial killers, investigation, first person narrative, black humour...
real bucs fan

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 am

I’m on book four of the Jack Reacher series. Surprisingly decent reads so far.
Rocker

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 am

Got gifted the Charlie Ward Bio. Favorite athlete ever and it's signed so double awesome.
Noles1724

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Rocker wrote:I’m on book four of the Jack Reacher series. Surprisingly decent reads so far.

I’ve read through Book 20 and love the entire series.
PrimeMinister

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:23 pm

Rocker - started the Stormlight series! On page 200 or so of The Way of Kings - love it so far!
beardmcdoug

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:05 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Rocker - started the Stormlight series! On page 200 or so of The Way of Kings - love it so far!

You’re in a for a treat! I’m going to do a re-read this summer.
Rocker

Postby The Outsider » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Rocker - started the Stormlight series! On page 200 or so of The Way of Kings - love it so far!

The Stormlight Archive is pretty damn awesome.
The Outsider

Postby Caradoc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Rocker wrote:I’m on book four of the Jack Reacher series. Surprisingly decent reads so far.

Really? I think I got midway through book three before I tapped out. Liked the first, second was OK, and the third just sucked (IMHO)
Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Just read book 1-4 of John Ringo's Dark Tide Rising series. Ringo is a damn good writer, but his weaknesses are really on display in this one. I don't think he really knew where he wanted to go after book one and it's kind of meandering
Caradoc

Postby Onthebrink » Wed May 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Reading Arcanum Unbounded, Hex, Wise Man's Fear, Lilith's Brood and Senlin Ascends. Joe Abercrombie and Brandon Sanderson say zero new books for 2018 plus no Winds of Winter. Novels are very hard to find unless you only read what The masses do. I have 348 books on my to read list. I found 4 of them at my local library. Amazon is a must for book readers.
Onthebrink

Postby MJW » Thu May 03, 2018 5:41 am

I have read everything Chuck has ever published, including the solid eleven years and counting of bulls*** he's put out. Sometimes, I wish he'd been struck by lightning the day after "Rant" came out. But, here I go again.
MJW

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu May 03, 2018 5:47 am

MJW wrote:Image

I have read everything Chuck has ever published, including the solid eleven years and counting of bulls*** he's put out. Sometimes, I wish he'd been struck by lightning the day after "Rant" came out. But, here I go again.

I quit after Rant. I was going to read Pygmy, but your review was less than stellar and I haven’t been back since. Survivor and Fight Club are still among my favorites all-time.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Thu May 03, 2018 5:57 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
MJW wrote:Image

I quit after Rant. I was going to read Pygmy, but your review was less than stellar and I haven’t been back since. Survivor and Fight Club are still among my favorites all-time.

Good memory!, and yes, my review stands. Pygmy was crap. Although looking at Chuck's bibliography, it was one of his BETTER efforts of the last decade. Like...since Rant...it might be the best.

I loved so many of those early books - Fight Club, Survivor, Lullaby, Choke...I probably mentioned that "Rant" is my favorite of his, though I know I'm in a really small minority with that one. So, I keep reading them in hopes that he'll rediscover that magic. If a guy isn't a brilliant writer, he's probably never going to grow into a brilliant writer. But if a guy is capable of brilliance, I think he always will be, even if he loses his way.

I'll letchya know on this one.
MJW

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic