"What are you reading?" thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
"What are you reading?" thread

Postby Caradoc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Well, we've got it for other activities, why not reading? That's still a thing isn't it? At least for us elders.

I'm bouncing between books right now, one one hand I'm reading "The subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck", just started it.

I recently finished the new Larry Correia MHI book "Monster Hunter: Seige" it was kind of a letdown TBH, mostly because the rest of the books were so much better.

I picked up "Nine Princes in Amber" for nostalgia's sake, and finished that last night. I still liked it, but it was much lighter than I remembered.

On the short list coming up is "the Psychology of Persuasion", supposed to be pretty good.
Caradoc

Re: "What are you reading?" thread

Postby Kress » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Finding Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz. Weird and crazy thriller.

Naked Mind by Annie Grace. Ridiculously insightful book about the nature of the brain, drug use, and recovery.
Kress

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Just finished Origins. It’s my least favorite Dan Brown book by far.

Revisiting a series from the past in Piers Anthony’s Incarnations of Immortality.

And on the 14th, Sanderson’s Oathbreaker finally drops. Can’t wait for that.

Anyone know Jim Butcher? Care to kick his ass in gear?
Rocker

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Current Non-Fiction:
The Accommodation by Jim Schutze. I didn't even know this book existed before 2 days ago and now it’s taken over my reading.
The Mis-Education of the Negro by Carter G. Woodson (this one is amazing).
The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller

Fiction:
A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin. I’ve watched all 7 seasons of Game of Thrones and heard from several people the books were even better. The books have not disappointed.
PrimeMinister

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Right now it's bedtime stories and Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Meditations is good for picking up, reading a few pages and reflecting (Let me edit this and also include that there really hasn't been another book that has had more of a positive impact on my life than this one. Particularly as a father and husband who is "settling into" life - it's been almost like bible to me. Ive read it a couple times now and it's like dipping back into that well of "the good stuff" every time).

Otherwise, really haven't had much time for reading recently, unfortunately. Last thing I read was Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me. I simply recommend it. It's a very intimate gift of a view point of life in America from somebody who has lived a very different life than I have. I am thankful for him having written it.

I find myself gravitating towards non-fiction and I'm starting to get a little frustrated that I keep doing that. I read the first four Ice and Fire books a couple years back but stopped because I didn't want to seed my mind with anything and wanted to watch the show with fresh eyes. Will pick up the rest when it's over. For now though, rocker, I think I'm going to take up your recommendation on the Stormlight series - should keep me busy for a while!
beardmcdoug

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:Right now it's bedtime stories and Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Meditations is good for picking up, reading a few pages and reflecting (Let me edit this and also include that there really hasn't been another book that has had more of a positive impact on my life than this one. Particularly as a father and husband who is "settling into" life - it's been almost like bible to me. Ive read it a couple times now and it's like dipping back into that well of "the good stuff" every time).

Otherwise, really haven't had much time for reading recently, unfortunately. Last thing I read was Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me. I simply recommend it. It's a very intimate gift of a view point of life in America from somebody who has lived a very different life than I have. I am thankful for him having written it.

I find myself gravitating towards non-fiction and I'm starting to get a little frustrated that I keep doing that. I read the first four Ice and Fire books a couple years back but stopped because I didn't want to seed my mind with anything and wanted to watch the show with fresh eyes. Will pick up the rest when it's over. For now though, rocker, I think I'm going to take up your recommendation on the Stormlight series - should keep me busy for a while!

I second your recommendation of Between the World And Me. Coates’ insight on society is always both a pleasure to read and challenging.
PrimeMinister

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Beard, PM your thoughts as you get going. It’s Sanderson’s penultimate work to date. His Reckoners series is a boatload of easy reading post-apocalyptic fun; but is certainly geared towards a younger audience. I’ve got my younger cousin reading it, and she went through book one in three days. The Mistborn series is something in between. It was obvious that he grew as an author while writing these books, and it shines through in the Stormlight Archives.

If anyone is slogging through the Wheel of Time series, he penned the latter half of book twelve and all of thirteen sans the final chapter; and honored Jordan’s work well, imho.

Surprised no one else has read the Dresden Files. Absolutely amazing, gritty urban fantasy.

Oh - if you’ve ever so much as dabbled in sci-fi/fantasy, check out Dan Simmons Ilium, and Olympos. It’s ****ing incredible; a thinking persons Let there be Dragons, if you will.
Rocker

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:57 pm

I also recommend Tucker Max. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell and ***holes Finish First should be mandatory reading for the board.

Except BiBL.
Rocker

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Rocker wrote:Beard, PM your thoughts as you get going. It’s Sanderson’s penultimate work to date. His Reckoners series is a boatload of easy reading post-apocalyptic fun; but is certainly geared towards a younger audience. I’ve got my younger cousin reading it, and she went through book one in three days. The Mistborn series is something in between. It was obvious that he grew as an author while writing these books, and it shines through in the Stormlight Archives.

If anyone is slogging through the Wheel of Time series, he penned the latter half of book twelve and all of thirteen sans the final chapter; and honored Jordan’s work well, imho.

Surprised no one else has read the Dresden Files. Absolutely amazing, gritty urban fantasy.

Oh - if you’ve ever so much as dabbled in sci-fi/fantasy, check out Dan Simmons Ilium, and Olympos. It’s ****ing incredible; a thinking persons Let there be Dragons, if you will.

Cool man, thanks for the background - will do!
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Rocker wrote:I also recommend Tucker Max. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell and ***holes Finish First should be mandatory reading for the board.

Except BiBL.

Hope they serve beer was a fun read.

I put down A farewell to arms ages ago, but do want to finish it. I think I should have bought A movable feast instead for Hemingway.

I am a couple chapters in on The bone tree by Greg Iles and need to commit to getting a chapter a day since he's such a good writer.

My nonfiction wish list includes the works of Simon Sinek who has some very good insights on leadership based on his Ted talks. Leaders eat least and Start with why should be a couple of quick reads.

My wife has been nagging me for years to read The Green mile.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan
Zarniwoop

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan

I've never read Vonnegut.

But then again, I haven't read Hunter Thompson either.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

I've never read Vonnegut.

But then again, I haven't read Hunter Thompson either.

Re: Vonnegut - me neither

The Rum Diary is fun and easy, you can read it in a night or two
beardmcdoug

Postby Kress » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Too much too fast. ****.
Kress

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pm

MB and BMD

Google Vonnegut’s “Harrison Bergeron”...it’s a short story with full text Online. Takes 15 or 20 mind to read

It’s a dystopian novel about equality of outcome .... he later expounded on the topics in full length novels.

Get back to me on what you think about the Handicapper General
Zarniwoop

Postby bucfanclw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. He uses years of psychological research to define the way our minds work. It really is an interesting read.
bucfanclw

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Kahneman and Tversky (and later Thaler) are my favorite behavioral economists / psychologists.

Michael Lewis of Moneyball fame just wrote a fascinating book about their lives. Check it out if you are interested
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:MB and BMD

Google Vonnegut’s “Harrison Bergeron”...it’s a short story with full text Online. Takes 15 or 20 mind to read

It’s a dystopian novel about equality of outcome .... he later expounded on the topics in full length novels.

Just read finished it. At first I was grinning ear to ear knowing what was coming. By the time it came I'm pissed off. Evocative. For a 15 minute read it's worth its weight for every high schooler to read

To be blunt, the H-G brings to mind the current hypocritical (and in my opinion, purposefully confusing) lines of "we're all different! But we're all the same!" of the primary message of the current democratic party- throw in a healthy dash of fine tuned media thought-overriding sensory distraction, and why wait til 2081
(Sorry OT board, not trying to drag into P&R, carry on!)
beardmcdoug

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Rocker wrote:I also recommend Tucker Max. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell and ***holes Finish First should be mandatory reading for the board.

Except BiBL.

Hope they serve beer was a fun read.

I put down A farewell to arms ages ago, but do want to finish it. I think I should have bought A movable feast instead for Hemingway.

I am a couple chapters in on The bone tree by Greg Iles and need to commit to getting a chapter a day since he's such a good writer.

My nonfiction wish list includes the works of Simon Sinek who has some very good insights on leadership based on his Ted talks. Leaders eat least and Start with why should be a couple of quick reads.

My wife has been nagging me for years to read The Green mile.

This is one of those instances when you should listen to her. I don’t enjoy all of King’s work, but Green Mile was top notch for me.
PrimeMinister

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 am

Non fiction: going back and forth between The Brain That Changes Itself -by Norman Doidge and Brain Maker - David Perlmutter

Fiction - Just started A gentleman in Moscow (no it isn’t about trump lol)
Babeinbucland

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:29 am

Babeinbucland wrote:Non fiction: going back and forth between The Brain That Changes Itself -by Norman Doidge and Brain Maker - David Perlmutter

Fiction - Just started A gentleman in Moscow (no it isn’t about trump lol)

Lol i knew it was coming and still laughed
beardmcdoug

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks for making this thread, Caradoc.

Got me to use my sitting room (man cave) for one of it's intended purposes.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:27 pm

This and Cat's Cradle are my two favorite by Vonnegut.

I haven't been reading a lot lately, but I was re-reading the Wheel of Time series so I could finish it, but again lost interest around book 6. So instead of pushing through, I randomly skimmed through Confederacy of Dunces again.

I need to find some new stuff.

Edit: Rocker, didn't see your post. My wife loved the ending. I just get so bored and annoyed by the female characters.
uscbucsfan

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:02 am

uscbucsfan wrote:

This and Cat's Cradle are my two favorite by Vonnegut.

I haven't been reading a lot lately, but I was re-reading the Wheel of Time series so I could finish it, but again lost interest around book 6. So instead of pushing through, I randomly skimmed through Confederacy of Dunces again.

Edit: Rocker, didn't see your post. My wife loved the ending. I just get so bored and annoyed by the female characters.

I’m assuming you’re referring to WoT?

Many of the people I’ve discussed the series with get hung up around the same part you did. Lord of Chaos is probably my least favorite installment; however if you can make it through that, it really does pay off...actually, if the female characters bother you that much, maybe it’s best you leave off, considering that two of the following books focus quite a bit on their arcs, haha.
Rocker

Postby Buc2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:18 am

I just bought the eBook series of GoT for my Kindle. I figured since HBO's Season 8 pushes past the books written by Martin, it's time I went ahead and read the books. That should tide me over until Season 8 finally airs.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:MB and BMD

Just read finished it. At first I was grinning ear to ear knowing what was coming. By the time it came I'm pissed off. Evocative. For a 15 minute read it's worth its weight for every high schooler to read

To be blunt, the H-G brings to mind the current hypocritical (and in my opinion, purposefully confusing) lines of "we're all different! But we're all the same!" of the primary message of the current democratic party- throw in a healthy dash of fine tuned media thought-overriding sensory distraction, and why wait til 2081
(Sorry OT board, not trying to drag into P&R, carry on!)

The HG to me is more descriptive of society than government. I think about how some people in your life will dismiss accomplishments so you don't look better by contrast.

Sally became an executive? she must have slept her way to the top.
Jimmy got a PhD, but he doesn't have a lick of common sense.
Bob is rich, which means he's an ***hole who ripped people off to make his money.
Jamal got out of the ghetto by acting white.

Everyone in the story voluntarily wears their handicaps and never considers casting them off...except for Harrison. Who does and instantly becomes more than anyone could have imagined. He literally floats to the ceiling.

Society can't have that, so it kills him.

We do this all the time. We build people up for the express purpose of knocking them down.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:15 am

Rocker wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:This and Cat's Cradle are my two favorite by Vonnegut.

I’m assuming you’re referring to WoT?

Many of the people I’ve discussed the series with get hung up around the same part you did. Lord of Chaos is probably my least favorite installment; however if you can make it through that, it really does pay off...actually, if the female characters bother you that much, maybe it’s best you leave off, considering that two of the following books focus quite a bit on their arcs, haha.

The female characters are really poorly written, shallow, and bitchy. I'll make it through eventually.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 am

Buc2 wrote:I just bought the eBook series of GoT for my Kindle. I figured since HBO's Season 8 pushes past the books written by Martin, it's time I went ahead and read the books. That should tide me over until Season 8 finally airs.

Didn't the show leave the books in season 6? I was pretty sure season 5 followed A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.
uscbucsfan

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:The HG to me is more descriptive of society than government. I think about how some people in your life will dismiss accomplishments so you don't look better by contrast.

Sally became an executive? she must have slept her way to the top.
Jimmy got a PhD, but he doesn't have a lick of common sense.
Bob is rich, which means he's an ***hole who ripped people off to make his money.
Jamal got out of the ghetto by acting white.

Everyone in the story voluntarily wears their handicaps and never considers casting them off...except for Harrison. Who does and instantly becomes more than anyone could have imagined. He literally floats to the ceiling.

Society can't have that, so it kills him.

We do this all the time. We build people up for the express purpose of knocking them down.

Of course the root of this idea came from "the people" -- they are using government as their vehicle of choice for enforcing their will upon others.

In reference to your bolded point -- You think all people are happy to be wearing these handicaps? If so, why are there laws mandating that they do so? I'm happy to breathe and eat and sleep...we don't need laws telling me to do those things.

You think people are wearing them voluntarily with no coercion from the government? They are wearing them because they see when they take them off they are immediately killed by an agent of the government. I hardly consider that voluntary.

The story is clearly at attack on two things: modern society's push towards "equality" and political correctness at all costs (without giving it much thought) and a direct criticism of the political end of that spectrum -- the individuality sapping communist government.
Zarniwoop

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 pm

yeah I got less of a "voluntary" vibe, and more of a "resigned to the nature of their society" (which was dictated, obviously, in a very systematic - and violent - way by the government, or HG. It was the HG that shot harrison, not the crowd. Had the crowd risen up when they resisted and did their dance, then I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But it was the HG who laid down the pimp hand)
beardmcdoug

Next

Return to Off Topic