***OFFICIAL Tom Petty Tribute Thread!****

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
***OFFICIAL Tom Petty Tribute Thread!****

Postby PlinkoBuccaneer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi, Bucs fans. :( Tom Petty, famous with his band The Heartreakers, died suddenly tonight in his Santa Monica home from cardiac arrest and a heart attack. Another rock legend passed away. R.I.P. Mr. Petty.
Last edited by PlinkoBuccaneer on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PlinkoBuccaneer

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tom Petty Tribute Thread!****

Postby Corsair » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Well, I guess this was a ripe subject for whoever biposts as this fake glitchy bot account.
Corsair

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:57 pm

But he's not dead though....
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:But he's not dead though....

You doubt Plinko?

Edit : His death is now being confirmed, turns out Plinko WAS right for once. Kinda blows.
terrytate

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:33 am

can somebody clue me in on the plinko hate? is it a running joke or something?
beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 am

terrytate wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:But he's not dead though....

You doubt Plinko?

Edit : His death is now being confirmed, turns out Plinko WAS right for once. Kinda blows.

Yep. It does suck.
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:31 am

beardmcdoug wrote:can somebody clue me in on the plinko hate? is it a running joke or something?

People seem to think Plinko is a bot.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:50 am

beardmcdoug wrote:can somebody clue me in on the plinko hate? is it a running joke or something?

Plinko goes back to the original board years ago. He/She/It is the the originator of any "***official***" thread, especially the Gameday threads.

As the community migrated from the original board, to LarryLand, then here we've noticed some degradation in Plinko's posting ability.
DreadNaught

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:56 am

DreadNaught wrote:

Plinko goes back to the original board years ago. He/She/It is the the originator of any "***official***" thread, especially the Gameday threads.

As the community migrated from the original board, to LarryLand, then here we've noticed some degradation in Plinko's posting ability.

ahhhhh thanks
beardmcdoug

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

Well, he/she/it is getting old.... Probably needs software update

On topic, I got to see Tom Petty last year at Jazz Fest in New Orleans, put on a great show.... Great music, he will be missed
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 am

I was farting around on Redditt last night and stumbled across "Handle with Care" by the Traveling Wilburys. Great song.

and one of the guys in the comments told the story of how the band was formed (I was always curious about this) and it was an excellent read.

Enjoy

So, one night in 1988, George Harrison (the Beatles)was at dinner with Jeff Lynne (Electric Light Orchestra). Jeff had just helped George create his succesful comeback album "Cloud Nine". Jeff also happened to be working with Roy frickin' Orbison at the time, and Roy joined them for dinner.

Now, bear in mind that during the early 60's, Roy was at the top of the charts, and also one of the Beatles idol's and inspirations. They actually toured together in England. At the beginning of the Tour the Beatles opened for Roy. By the end of the tour, Roy was opening for the Beatles.

Anyways, during dinner conversation, it came up that George and Jeff had been asked to provide a throwaway song as a B-side to some European release. They decided to come up with a song the next day and asked Roy if he wanted to join them. To sing or to write or just to hang out. Roy was game, so the plan was set. But where to record! Even with their pedigree, it wasn't going to be easy to find a space that was available. Remember, this was 1988, there was no email, no texting, and very very very few portable phones. Plus, if the person you were trying to call wasn't there, you just had to wait until they were. All I'm saying is that this was a bit of a daunting task, and how it was resolved was almost miraculous.

George decided to try to call Bob Dylan, a man famous for not being able to get in touch with. But he had a recording studio in his garage and somehow managed to pick up the phone! He said that it would be fine, so now the plan was really set. But here's my favourite part. En route to Bob Dylan's garage, George had to stop at Tom Petty's house, so he could pick up his guitar. Because that's how George rolled.

So please imagine with me that you're Tom Petty. Already quite successful in your own right, but then George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy frickin' Orbison roll up and say
"Hey, we're heading over to Bob Dylan's right now to write a song. Wanna Come?"
Up until that point, Tom Petty may have had plans for the day.

So
They arrive at Bob Dylan's garage, Dylan joins them and say's "So what are we going to sing about?"
George spies a box sitting in the garage with a freight sticker on it reading 'Handle with Care' and said "Why don't we sing about that?"
So they did, and after spitballing verses and riffs at each other for a couple of hours, they wrote and recorded this [Handle with care].
Wow.
It was pretty clear that this was not a song to throwaway on some European B-side, and someone said "Why don't we make an album?"
So they did.
Somehow, all 5 of them were able to co-ordinate a week or two where they were all free. So they borrowed Dave Stewart's house for a week.
And thus, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty spent a week or so hangin' out, drinkin' beers, smokin' weed, talking, listening, and just creating music.

And that's how the Traveling Wilburys actually happened. The best supergroup of all time, comprised of the top musicians of the time representing multiple era's of rock almost from it's birth, with no ego battles.
Notwithstanding the fact that this briefly became Roy's resurgance before it became his last hurrah, it's just an awesome story.

credit to u/cdncbn
Mountaineer Buc

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:23 am

Tom Petty was what I call a, "that's your problem" musician. Which means that if you didn't like him, that was YOUR problem. Sadly, Bowie and Prince both also fell into this category. It's been a tough couple of years...
MJW

Return to Off Topic