LaVar Ball and the BBB era is upon us!!!

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
LaVar Ball and the BBB era is upon us!!!

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Anyone catch this guy on TheHerd today?

Talk about polarizing, this guy is either loved or hated. He somehow managed to divide SJW twitter w/ his antics today.

I think LaVar is complete baffoon that is doing more harm than good for his kids. But is he some type of evil genius? Or everything wrong w/ being a parent of an athlete in 2017?

Either way, his oldest son is about to be a top 5 pick and he's got two other boys that look to be pretty decent also, so this guy is going to stay in the news for the next few years. He's human clickbait that is perfect for modern journos.
DreadNaught

Re: LaVar Ball and the BBB era is upon us!!!

Postby acmillis » Wed May 17, 2017 3:31 pm

He is the definition of "Helicopter Parent."

"My son will only work out for the Lakers..." Excuse me...how old is your son?!?!?

Part of me hopes his kid is garbage so his 15 minutes will end sooner.
acmillis

Postby Crocaneers » Wed May 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Can't we ignore this guy already? Will social media (or media as a whole) ever understand this.

I can see the train from here ...
Crocaneers

Postby DreadNaught » Wed May 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Can't we ignore this guy already? Will social media (or media as a whole) ever understand this.

I can see the train from here ...

If his son(s) can't play and become JAG in the NBA than it'll go away eventually. Even though I'm sure there is a reality show in the works.

I hope it's a trainwreck. But he makes the media's job easy for them.
DreadNaught

Postby Pewterslimsme » Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 pm

The guy is a clown and all these "media" outlets giving him air time is much of the problem.

That said, at what point as a potential employer would you become concerned that your potential employee's daddy does all his talking? Forget the dad, but what does that say about the player? It'd be a red flag for me
Pewterslimsme

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 17, 2017 6:30 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Anyone catch this guy on TheHerd today?

Talk about polarizing, this guy is either loved or hated. He somehow managed to divide SJW twitter w/ his antics today.

I think LaVar is complete baffoon that is doing more harm than good for his kids. But is he some type of evil genius? Or everything wrong w/ being a parent of an athlete in 2017?

Either way, his oldest son is about to be a top 5 pick and he's got two other boys that look to be pretty decent also, so this guy is going to stay in the news for the next few years. He's human clickbait that is perfect for modern journos.

I hate him, but he's smart. He got an estimated 50 million in free advertisement from ESPN. He is making all products on a made to order basis, using 0 overhead up front. He may not make the 10 million he lost his son, but if he does..we will see a lot more of this. Darren Rovell said he's had about 1 million dollars worth of orders so far. His cost to make is likely extremely high, but they are making some money. If his son is great, they will cash in.

edit: Rovell's math was wrong. Ball basically said he had about 250k sold thus far. Not a great start.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Lonzo himself seems very well put together and I can't say I don't like him. Dad on the other hand? I think I see what he's TRYING to do. He's marketing and advertising his son as much as he can and eventually once people get tired of it they'll talk about Lonzo. Either way I just wish LaVar would shut the **** up. All his crap about how his son is better than Curry and James or smoking MJ in his prime is nothing more than plain stupidity.
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Swashy wrote:Lonzo himself seems very well put together and I can't say I don't like him. Dad on the other hand? I think I see what he's TRYING to do. He's marketing and advertising his son as much as he can and eventually once people get tired of it they'll talk about Lonzo. Either way I just wish LaVar would shut the **** up. All his crap about how his son is better than Curry and James or smoking MJ in his prime is nothing more than plain stupidity.

It's getting him publicity. I don't agree with a lot of things he does, but when I heard Lonzo say his dad isn't taking 1 penny of the profits, it made me rethink the situation a little bit. I don't know if that's 100% true, but if it is...he truly is doing all this for free advertising and publicity.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Read between the lines and look at the bigger picture. He's raised 3 sons who all are highly touted basketball players. The oldest is about to be a top 2 pick and the other 2 won't be far behind. The youngest IIRC is the best of the 3. To me he's no different than Kris Jenner, who's exploited and lived off of her kids for years now. The only difference is LaVar' s kids have actual talent. He's brash. He's arrogant. He's overbearing. But so was Joe Jackson.
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Swashy wrote:Lonzo himself seems very well put together and I can't say I don't like him. Dad on the other hand? I think I see what he's TRYING to do. He's marketing and advertising his son as much as he can and eventually once people get tired of it they'll talk about Lonzo. Either way I just wish LaVar would shut the **** up. All his crap about how his son is better than Curry and James or smoking MJ in his prime is nothing more than plain stupidity.

It's getting him publicity. I don't agree with a lot of things he does, but when I heard Lonzo say his dad isn't taking 1 penny of the profits, it made me rethink the situation a little bit. I don't know if that's 100% true, but if it is...he truly is doing all this for free advertising and publicity.

Unfortunately it's become nothing more than a glorified hype man job on LaVar's part. The biggest shame to me is that there is a father who is so supportive of his son and wants nothing more than success. I feel that way about my daughter and were she a famous basketball player I'd be in her interviews too talking her up. LaVar is someone who could go out of his way to start a shoe brand (and the crazy thing they're nice looking shoes too!) and so does everything he can to positively market his son. I don't have to like him but I respect the HELL out of him for trying so hard. But on the other hand LaVar's "head nigga in charge" attitude (yeah, yeah everyone kiss my ass... you all know for a fact I'm not racist and this is the first time I'm using the word in 8 years on the board and it's being done in a context) where he is coarse, abrasive and unrepentingly stubborn in nature has turned everyone off. Swagger is fine but there's a fine line between that and just being demeaning. I can be a snarky jerk when I'm trying to be funny but I would never speak to anyone the way that he does because I don't believe in it.

And personally I don't know what the shoes cost to make but charging $495 is ridiculous and saying something like "Well I guess you're not a big baller" in response to that is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. If I EVER had the nerve to charge that much I'd donate a portion to charity to at least justify the price and make my child look better. You wanna market your son? Do it like that. Not in this loud, boisterous manner where it looks like you're about to throw down.
Last edited by Swashy on Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 pm

The $495 was more for advertising than anything else.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Read between the lines and look at the bigger picture. He's raised 3 sons who all are highly touted basketball players. The oldest is about to be a top 2 pick and the other 2 won't be far behind. The youngest IIRC is the best of the 3. To me he's no different than Kris Jenner, who's exploited and lived off of her kids for years now. The only difference is LaVar' s kids have actual talent. He's brash. He's arrogant. He's overbearing. But so was Joe Jackson.

Hahahaha man that's truly insightful when you think about it. I had almost forgotten that there's 2 other brothers and that if we thought we were done with LaVar Ball then we're only just getting started.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:18 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:The $495 was more for advertising than anything else.

You're right I didn't even get the price right. Edited accordingly
Swashy

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Swashy wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Read between the lines and look at the bigger picture. He's raised 3 sons who all are highly touted basketball players. The oldest is about to be a top 2 pick and the other 2 won't be far behind. The youngest IIRC is the best of the 3. To me he's no different than Kris Jenner, who's exploited and lived off of her kids for years now. The only difference is LaVar' s kids have actual talent. He's brash. He's arrogant. He's overbearing. But so was Joe Jackson.

Hahahaha man that's truly insightful when you think about it. I had almost forgotten that there's 2 other brothers and that if we thought we were done with LaVar Ball then we're only just getting started.

Oh I certainly hope no one felt he'd only have 15 minutes of fame. The youngest is 15. This is just the beginning.
Bootz2004

Postby Selmon Rules » Wed May 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Didn't Todd Marinovich (Robo QB) come from a similar situation?? That one ended in epic fail territory and I wouldn't be shocked if this ends the same way....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:30 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Swashy wrote:

Oh I certainly hope no one felt he'd only have 15 minutes of fame. The youngest is 15. This is just the beginning.

Hahahahaha it really is. Oh my God man and the funniest thing is everyone's gonna act like "Thank God it's over" once LaMelo hits the NBA.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:

Didn't Todd Marinovich (Robo QB) come from a similar situation?? That one ended in epic fail territory and I wouldn't be shocked if this ends the same way....

Yeah that's the guy but I doubt this is gonna be the case with Lonzo. His old man might be a douchebag but he's for the most part right about his kids. They're truly gifted athletes and they're going to have a much better time in the smaller pond of the NBA than Marinovich had in the ocean of the NFL.
Swashy

Postby Selmon Rules » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Swashy wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:Didn't Todd Marinovich (Robo QB) come from a similar situation?? That one ended in epic fail territory and I wouldn't be shocked if this ends the same way....

Yeah that's the guy but I doubt this is gonna be the case with Lonzo. His old man might be a douchebag but he's for the most part right about his kids. They're truly gifted athletes and they're going to have a much better time in the smaller pond of the NBA than Marinovich had in the ocean of the NFL.

My point isn't that Marinovich sucked and was incapable, it's that he didn't want it and had been raised with his dad's goals in mind instead of his own. I wonder how much of these kids upbringing is of their own choice and will they still "want it" enough??
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
Swashy wrote:

My point isn't that Marinovich sucked and was incapable, it's that he didn't want it and had been raised with his dad's goals in mind instead of his own. I wonder how much of these kids upbringing is of their own choice and will they still "want it" enough??

Given that Lonzo is about to be a Laker at 2nd overall I'd say he wants it. He had a great year at UCLA personally. The hard part is out of the way for him honestly. His dad can handle the business aspect. All he has to do is play ball.
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
Swashy wrote:

I think they still do. Marinovich was before my time as a football fan but when my dad remarked on him he said, "He was so deep into drugs and so burned out by his dad by the time he got into the NFL that he just didn't care anymore. He never had a chance because he was hardly functional as a person by then, nevermind a football player."

As far as I know Lonzo has a really good head on his shoulders.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Wed May 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Selmon Rules wrote:My point isn't that Marinovich sucked and was incapable, it's that he didn't want it and had been raised with his dad's goals in mind instead of his own. I wonder how much of these kids upbringing is of their own choice and will they still "want it" enough??

Given that Lonzo is about to be a Laker at 2nd overall I'd say he wants it. He had a great year at UCLA personally. The hard part is out of the way for him honestly. His dad can handle the business aspect. All he has to do is play ball.

Indeed. For a lack of a better word he's a baller. He's everything you want in a player. If dad steers clear he could be dynamite
Swashy

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 am

All I see is a dad who thinks his sons are the best ball players walking (he should) and knows how to get free marketing for them.

Would Lonzo Ball have a thread dedicated to him on a freaking Buccaneers message board without Daddy Lavar? We don't even have a NCAA Basketball thread lol. When we talk about Lavar Lonzo automatically comes up. Lavar is a genius.

Like Bootz said it's now up to Lonzo. Just ball out and let Dad handle the business and marketing. LA is going to love this kid.
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Thu May 18, 2017 9:09 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Anyone catch this guy on TheHerd today?

I hate him, but he's smart. He got an estimated 50 million in free advertisement from ESPN. He is making all products on a made to order basis, using 0 overhead up front. He may not make the 10 million he lost his son, but if he does..we will see a lot more of this. Darren Rovell said he's had about 1 million dollars worth of orders so far. His cost to make is likely extremely high, but they are making some money. If his son is great, they will cash in.

edit: Rovell's math was wrong. Ball basically said he had about 250k sold thus far. Not a great start.

1 - Rovell is a dipshit
2 - $50mm in "free advertising" is some real creative accounting
3 - $250k in orders is way too high a number
4 - $250k in revenue after $50 mil in advertising is terribad
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 am

NYBF wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:edit: Rovell's math was wrong. Ball basically said he had about 250k sold thus far. Not a great start.

1 - Rovell is a dipshit

+1

It's a terrible start by any measure thus far. It's going to come down to whether this kid, or his little brothers become elite NBA players.

If they are great than there will be demand, but if they are role players scoring 10ppg than it will be a trainwreck.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 am

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:
1 - Rovell is a dipshit

+1

It's a terrible start by any measure thus far. It's going to come down to whether this kid, or his little brothers become elite NBA players.

If they are great than there will be demand, but if they are role players scoring 10ppg than it will be a trainwreck.

There won't be demand for $500 off brand sneakers unless he's Jordan. And Jordans, made by an actual sneaker brand, cost half that. ****, Stephen Curry has an Under Armour contract and his sneakers cost a quarter of that.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am

NYBF wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:
+1

There won't be demand for $500 off brand sneakers unless he's Jordan. And Jordans, made by an actual sneaker brand, cost half that. ****, Stephen Curry has an Under Armour contract and his sneakers cost a quarter of that.

I agree one that, there won't be a market for $500 basketball shoes when you can get Lebrons, Currys, etc for less than half that. I was just talking in more general terms of the BBB brands success/failure being directly tied to the performance of the these kids. They MUST be GREAT NBA players for LaVar's plan to work imo. Anything short of that and he'll look (more) like a fool for not signing w/ Nike/Adidas/UA.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Thu May 18, 2017 9:49 am

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I agree one that, there won't be a market for $500 basketball shoes when you can get Lebrons, Currys, etc for less than half that. I was just talking in more general terms of the BBB brands success/failure being directly tied to the performance of the these kids. They MUST be GREAT NBA players for LaVar's plan to work imo. Anything short of that and he'll look (more) like a fool for not signing w/ Nike/Adidas/UA.

Definitely.

If you look around hard enough, you could probably get a pair each of LeBrons, Currys, and Jordans for the same as one pair of those stupid BBB shoes.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am

A couple days ago ESPN had on their front page an article asking why the media has to keep reporting on everything the Balls do.
Zarniwoop

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu May 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:A couple days ago ESPN had on their front page an article asking why the media has to keep reporting on everything the Balls do.

ESPN can't keep the Balls out of their mouths.
Deja Entendu

Postby Kress » Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 pm

NYBF wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Definitely.

If you look around hard enough, you could probably get a pair each of LeBrons, Currys, and Jordans for the same as one pair of those stupid BBB shoes.

I don't get the whole shoe thing. If I'm wearing Jordans, I'm not Mike. If I'm wearing big ballers, it's still just a shoe.....
Kress

Next

Return to Off Topic