Bill O'Reilly will be fired!

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
Bill O'Reilly will be fired!

Postby McFan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 am

Never cared too much for him but doubting his popularity amongst the right wingers would be silly...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/source ... li=BBnb7Kz
McFan

Re: Bill O'Reilly will be fired!

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 am

Good riddance.
Corsair

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm

that Fox has put up with the amount of harassment stuff they have in the past is embarrassing...let's hope this is the first step to a new culture
Zarniwoop

Postby McFan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:that Fox has put up with the amount of harassment stuff they have in the past is embarrassing...let's hope this is the first step to a new culture

Agree. But I'd amend that to "second" step. Showing that goof Roger Ailes the door, was their first good move..
McFan

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 pm

yep...correction noted.
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Saw this coming after they ousted Ailes, probably just waited on next harassment claim.

I always preferred Bill O'Reilly the historian/Author over him as political pundit always defending the DC establishment.

Still a ballsy move considering the ratings his show draws. I was pretty surprised by this graph;

DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Damn. His repeat is better than half of the field.
PrimeMinister

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Is there any other crime like sexual harassment where you are presumed guilty and remain that way even if the facts don't support it? Not saying one way or the other what the truth in this case is, but it just seems like the default setting every time a girl says a guy was inappropriate with her is "fire him immediately and make him a social pariah!!" Winston is a good example of this. Still PLENTY of people who still think he is guilty even though there's no evidence to support the claim.

I'm always accepting of correction, but has Bill had his day in court and faced his accuser in front of a jury of his peers? Or is this just a CYA move by Fox and who cares what the truth is? Granted, this is probably better suited to the politics forum, but it always boggles my mind how just the mere accusation is enough to completely destroy a man's life.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:51 pm

81mm Shake and Bake wrote:Is there any other crime like sexual harassment where you are presumed guilty and remain that way even if the facts don't support it? Not saying one way or the other what the truth in this case is, but it just seems like the default setting every time a girl says a guy was inappropriate with her is "fire him immediately and make him a social pariah!!" Winston is a good example of this. Still PLENTY of people who still think he is guilty even though there's no evidence to support the claim.

I'm always accepting of correction, but has Bill had his day in court and faced his accuser in front of a jury of his peers? Or is this just a CYA move by Fox and who cares what the truth is? Granted, this is probably better suited to the politics forum, but it always boggles my mind how just the mere accusation is enough to completely destroy a man's life.

Speaking to the general and not specifically this case.....I don't think there is any question that when it comes to sexual harassment/violence that people are presumed guilty at a rate much higher than other crimes.
Zarniwoop

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:01 pm

I said this to anyone who would listen back in the mid 2000's........ "White America will be paying for Bill O'Reilly for Decades."
Last edited by Corsair on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corsair

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Ha!
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:08 pm

81mm Shake and Bake wrote:Is there any other crime like sexual harassment where you are presumed guilty and remain that way even if the facts don't support it? Not saying one way or the other what the truth in this case is, but it just seems like the default setting every time a girl says a guy was inappropriate with her is "fire him immediately and make him a social pariah!!" Winston is a good example of this. Still PLENTY of people who still think he is guilty even though there's no evidence to support the claim.

I somewhat agree with your premise here regarding SA and presumption of guilt.

However, O'Reilly has a history of these types of claims and like Zarni implied FoxNews had fostered an environment that seemed to condone this behavior. FoxNews makes BILLIONS and O'Reilly has been the highest paid cable news person for over a decade w/ an annual salary around $20m. So they've been settling these cases to avoid the PR that would come with a jury trial.

That said, O'Reilly is innocent since he's never been convicted, but in the court of public opinion he's been guilty for years. If this was 5-10 ago FoxNews would have treated this as they've done all the past SA claims and kept the gravy train rolling. But O'Reilly is almost 70yrs old and his biggest enabler (Ailes) is no longer there to cover for him. So the Murdoch family put him out to pasture...
DreadNaught

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Saw this coming after they ousted Ailes, probably just waited on next harassment claim.

I always preferred Bill O'Reilly the historian/Author over him as political pundit always defending the DC establishment.

Still a ballsy move considering the ratings his show draws. I was pretty surprised by this graph;

What's even more interesting was that his numbers went way up with every new allegation. He was obstensibly rewarded with loyalty for paying women off.

Says a lot about that audience.
Corsair

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Corsair wrote:What's even more interesting was that his numbers went way up with every new allegation. He was ostensibly rewarded with loyalty for paying women off.

Says a lot about that audience.

Like what? That is odd correlation. Are you saying people that never watched the show would tune b/c he settled lawsuits?

I don't think there is a link between the lawsuits and his ratings.
DreadNaught

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:56 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Saw this coming after they ousted Ailes, probably just waited on next harassment claim.

not ballsy at all. the only reason he got the boot was because Fox was getting pressure from advertisers and they were threatening to stop paying. They were forced to do this, so lets re-frame from giving fox the credit here.. it's actually more ballsy they took this long to give him the ax.
Noles1724

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Never watched him, so I honestly don't care that he was fired. Sure...I've seen bits and pieces, but only when someone posted up a youtube vid. Hell, I never watch any of the people on that list to be honest.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm sure he'll be happy with his massive buyout.
uscbucsfan

Postby Selmon Rules » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

However, O'Reilly has a history of these types of claims and like Zarni implied FoxNews had fostered an environment that seemed to condone this behavior. FoxNews makes BILLIONS and O'Reilly has been the highest paid cable news person for over a decade w/ an annual salary around $20m. So they've been settling these cases to avoid the PR that would come with a jury trial.

That said, O'Reilly is innocent since he's never been convicted, but in the court of public opinion he's been guilty for years. If this was 5-10 ago FoxNews would have treated this as they've done all the past SA claims and kept the gravy train rolling. But O'Reilly is almost 70yrs old and his biggest enabler (Ailes) is no longer there to cover for him. So the Murdoch family put him out to pasture...

Never been convicted doesn't always mean innocent, it just means never convicted....
Selmon Rules

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:41 pm

You know who I feel bad for?

The crew for that show.

I'd venture to guess that there are around 30-40 people who work as camera operators, sound mixers, grips, electricians and assistants who work on the show without injecting their personal politics. Most of them have been working that show for a good number of years and have built their lives and finances around that income stream. Those people depended on that show to pay their bills the way it had for the past 20 years.

Now their future is up in the air because this prick couldn't keep his **** in his pants.
Corsair

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:32 am

Selmon Rules wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Never been convicted doesn't always mean innocent, it just means never convicted....

It also doesn't mean guilty, so why try to destroy someone's life over it? Put it another way, would you be saying the same thing if YOU had been accused of sexual harassment without any evidence being presented, and was summarily fired from your employment?

(Best Allen Iverson impression I can do at 0330) We're talking about allegations, man. Not charged, not convicted, allegations.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:20 am

I thought Democrats didn't care if powerful men named 'Bill' sexually harassed women?
DreadNaught

Postby McFan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 am

DreadNaught wrote:Like what? That is odd correlation. Are you saying people that never watched the show would tune b/c he settled lawsuits?

Not all that odd DreadNaught. Some are THAT loyal, others probably tuned in for his mea culpa at best or fierce denial at worse (depending on your point of view, you can reverse the best/worse of my assumption).

That also could explain the ratings spike after the allegations broke.
McFan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 am

McFan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Like what? That is odd correlation. Are you saying people that never watched the show would tune b/c he settled lawsuits?

Not all that odd DreadNaught. Some are THAT loyal, others probably tuned in for his mea culpa at best or fierce denial at worse (depending on your point of view, you can reverse the best/worse of my assumption).

That also could explain the ratings spike after the allegations broke.

I understand the point about loyalty and people not abandoning the show.

What doesn't make sense to me is the notion that the increase in ratings is being tied to SA claims. That is basically implying people that have never watched his show before would start to tune-in become loyal to the show BECAUSE he was accused of SA. I don't buy that correlation...

In the end it's cable TV (entertainment). If people boycotted every entertainer that was accused of a crime (much less convicted) we'd be watching Tim Tebow riding a uni-cycle all day. Hell our franchise QB was accused of rape and 'settled'. What does that say about our fanbase? (using Corsair's logic here).
DreadNaught

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 am

DreadNaught wrote:I thought Democrats didn't care if powerful men named 'Bill' sexually harassed women?

way to force a joke here. you can't harass those that willing drop to their knees.
Noles1724

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:57 am

Noles1724 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I thought Democrats didn't care if powerful men named 'Bill' sexually harassed women?

way to force a joke here. you can't harass those that willing drop to their knees.

What are you a Bill Clinton apologist? gtfoh :roll:

Was Juanita Broaddrick willing? What about Paula Jones? How about ol Bill's trips w/ convicted pedo Jeff Epstein? etc....

The only thing that makes feel slightly bad for Hillary is that she's married/stuck to that creep.

The joke highlights how political bias creates hypocrisy and your response is predictable. You defend a sexual deviant like Bill Clinton in the same thread you admonish Bill O'Reilly.
DreadNaught

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:way to force a joke here. you can't harass those that willing drop to their knees.

What are you a Bill Clinton apologist? gtfoh :roll:

Was Juanita Broaddrick willing? What about Paula Jones? How about ol Bill's trips w/ convicted pedo Jeff Epstein? etc....

The only thing that makes feel slightly bad for Hillary is that she's married/stuck to that creep.

The joke highlights how political bias creates hypocrisy and your response is predictable. You defend a sexual deviant like Bill Clinton in the same thread you admonish Bill O'Reilly.

first off, I have not a admonish anyone in this thread.. maybe Fox as a whole.

second, it just wasn't that good of a joke. you're insinuating it's 'only' democrats in an uproar over this when that's not the case. So you're fabricating a line in the sand to support your weak joke... hence the 'forced' part.

don't worry, you'll get'em next time tiger.
Noles1724

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:07 am

People get given beads and trinkets without ever really realizing whats going on - mdb
mdb1958

Postby NYBF » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am

Maybe Fox is tired of paying out settlements? Tough to keep paying settlements when advertisers are dropping left and right. If he wants his day in court, he should go to court. Try to clear his name. I'm not saying he's guilty or innocent, but if I was paying out settlement after settlement, and ad revenue is drying up, I'd tell the guy to **** off.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 am

mdb1958 wrote:People get given beads and trinkets without ever really realizing whats going on - mdb

1 - Did you really attribute a quote to yourself in your own post?

2 - We know it was you who said it because the grammar is atrocious.
NYBF

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am

NYBF wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:People get given beads and trinkets without ever really realizing whats going on - mdb

1 - Did you really attribute a quote to yourself in your own post?

i read it as him poking fun of Sanka for doing it in another thread...at least I hope that's what he was doing...but with mdb you never know
Zarniwoop

Next

Return to Off Topic