No compromises

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
No compromises

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 pm

A thread to lighten the mood...

What are you a total snob about? Maybe you grew up on government cheese and liked it until the day you sampled a smoked Gouda and now it's all you buy.

For example, I grew up on cheap-ass hot dogs. Never gave it a second thought until a man with exquisite taste in baloney sticks handed me a grilled Nathan's hot dog.

$5 for a pack of hot dogs? I don't give a ****. I won't compromise with shitty hot dogs anymore.

What do you never compromise on?
Mountaineer Buc

Re: No compromises

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't know if I could stay in a motel 8 (or anything that has an outdoor facing room). Call me a hotel snob, but ....
Crocaneers

Postby Corsair » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:13 am

Breast milk.

You gotta walk up 10th to the Bronx and get some 100% Cambodian, man.

I only drink the finest breast milks.
Corsair

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:28 am

Crocaneers wrote:I don't know if I could stay in a motel 8 (or anything that has an outdoor facing room). Call me a hotel snob, but ....

Compromised by staying at a Super 8 on my way down here. It was everything I expected. Popcorn ceilings, 90's pastel comforter on the bed, cigarette burn on the tub next to the toilet, and the TV didn't work.

Normally, I won't settle for less than a Hampton inn. Ideally, I will happily spring the extra $20 a night for an Embassy suites.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:44 am

When it comes to buying Bugattis, I would never slum it with the Veyron, I only buy the Chiron
Zarniwoop

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:24 am

Electronics for home entertainment. I get what I want and usually overpay.

Beer. Although free beer is still the best providing it's cold. But I don't buy shitty beer anymore.

Food. Sprouts, Whole foods, and Fresh Market is where I grocery shop.

Cleaning products. For some stupid reason I can't define I always buy the more expensive brand thinking it must be better.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:07 am

MB, I'll see your hot dog story but raise you a brand.. Smith's (made in Erie PA)..

Smith's isn't as well known as Nathan's, but they are growing (now the official hot dog of the Pittsburgh Pirates)..I also grew up on junk dogs, but once I bit into some Smith's, which is the ONLY dog people in Erie will eat, it was over..About $6 a pack down here in Pittsburgh and hard to find in stores..

Other snobby stuff..Like Dread, cleaning supplies..Tide for laundry, Dawn for dishes, Dial for bath soap..Don't even TRY to bring anything else in the house..Been there and done it..Those 3 are my holy trinity...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:31 am

DreadNaught wrote:Electronics for home entertainment. I get what I want and usually overpay.

Beer. Although free beer is still the best providing it's cold. But I don't buy shitty beer anymore.

Food. Sprouts, Whole foods, and Fresh Market is where I grocery shop.

Cleaning products. For some stupid reason I can't define I always buy the more expensive brand thinking it must be better.

With beer I tend to go for the best bang for the buck.

I love a really good beer, but I start getting bent out of shape when we go over $1 per serving. If I'm spending over $15 for a 12 pack, I'm splurging.

The craft guys are starting to piss me off. I congratulate you for hand brewing a non-gmo, grapefruit Porter, but the fact that you charge $15 for a six pack has sent the MBAs at InBev and Miller-Coors into Stark raving insanity.

There's no way in hell I am going to spend $10 for a six pack of Sam Adams.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Toilet paper, bitches.

Kress

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Hair care products natch!
Babeinbucland

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Crocaneers wrote:I don't know if I could stay in a motel 8 (or anything that has an outdoor facing room). Call me a hotel snob, but ....

Ugh...Count me in!!! The hubby and I drove across country last year and on the way back, its about 1am and we are ready to call it a night. But we cannot find a hotel room for miles and miles and miles. Why you ask? Because there is a frikken little league tournament in town and every hotel room for 60 miles is sold out. And we were soooo tired. Finally we find an Econolodge. Well, I didn't know that Econolodges are a thing and not in a good way. The front desk tells hubby they have one room left. He takes it. Walk into the room and there are giant mosquitos flying around inside and a couple of flys. I am more grossed out than I can possibly express. This room is skeavier than any skeave place I have ever seen. I get in bed fully clothed and swear to God I will NEVER be in this position again. BLECH! NEVER AGAIN!!!
Babeinbucland

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:43 am

guess mine would be golf balls. I'm not nearly good enough that I should care, but the thought of using a Top Flight or Noodle makes me second guess if I even want to play a rd. I'm not a PRO V1 guy as I don't have money to piss away but anything less than a Callaway won't do...and not the two piece ones either.. they gotta be a three piece ball.
Noles1724

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Noles1724 wrote:guess mine would be golf balls. I'm not nearly good enough that I should care, but the thought of using a Top Flight or Noodle makes me second guess if I even want to play a rd. I'm not a PRO V1 guy as I don't have money to piss away but anything less than a Callaway won't do...and not the two piece ones either.. they gotta be a three piece ball.

If I did that, I would keep a few range balls in my bag anytime I played near a water hazard.

Or I'd go swimming ala Happy Gilmore
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Selmon Rules » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:guess mine would be golf balls. I'm not nearly good enough that I should care, but the thought of using a Top Flight or Noodle makes me second guess if I even want to play a rd. I'm not a PRO V1 guy as I don't have money to piss away but anything less than a Callaway won't do...and not the two piece ones either.. they gotta be a three piece ball.

If I did that, I would keep a few range balls in my bag anytime I played near a water hazard.

Or I'd go swimming ala Happy Gilmore

I play the Wilson cheapies from WalMart.... $10 for 2 dozen and I don't have to worry about losing them.

When/if I ever get into the mid 80's consistently, I'll go for a better ball but the quality of what I'm hitting ain't my problem out there, lol
:drinkingcheers:
Selmon Rules

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:27 pm

I shot in the mid eighties once...

Then I played the back nine.

Actually, I love to play without keeping score. Play golf, man. **** the score. Not like you are threatening the course record anyway. Enjoy ****ing around outside.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Corsair » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm playing with Callaway Super Softs (sit down Pete) and the only piece of equipment in my arsenal that I consider "low rent" is my hand-me-down Strata golf bag.

I really like my set, and I suppose I take it too seriously. Especially considering that I'm probably worse than everybody who plays here.

But man, the worst game I've ever had was one of my favorite days in recent memory. I love golf.
Corsair

Postby Konatown » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Toilet paper is a good one.

Ketchup is another. If it's not Heinz it's garbage.
Konatown

Postby Kress » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:17 am

Selmon Rules wrote: the quality of what I'm hitting ain't my problem out there, lol
:drinkingcheers:

This. I use an old set of Ping Eye 2's, and hit whatever ball happens to be in my bag. Where it goes, nobody knows.
Kress

Postby Kress » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 am

Why is that so hard by the way. Throw a baseball at me, and I can hit it. A round ball with a round bat. But put that stupid thing on a tee in front of me.....
Kress

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:25 am

Corsair

Postby The Outsider » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 am

Man, I have a nice set of Rocketballz that I haven't used in a year and a half. I really need to get back out on the course.
The Outsider

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 am

Kress wrote:Why is that so hard by the way. Throw a baseball at me, and I can hit it. A round ball with a round bat. But put that stupid thing on a tee in front of me.....

I've played nearly every sport and by far the one where the ball never moves is the hardest.. often times I'll hear "how can you watch golf, it's so boring", but if you've really tried to get better with hours on the range then I think you can appreciate that the pro's are truly amazing as they're attempting to hit a ball to land 150yds away and not 149. The accuracy these guys are attempting is simply amazing.
Noles1724

Postby Swashy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:47 pm

I've got a few "no compromises" and a couple have already been said but I'm more a creature of habit that just sticks with what he knows. Like Heinz ketchup... I buy it because I know it's good. Maybe I'll switch it up someday but I know what I'm getting and that's why I stick with it. Soft toilet paper is a must. I'm not gonna wipe with sandpaper. To hell with that.

I'll give the 2 I'm most firm with

-Old Spice products. It's not everyone's favorite but I absolutely love it. I must get at least one complement a week about how good I smell just by showering with the body wash and using the same brand of deodorant i.e Timber deodorant with Timber body wash, Swagger with Swagger etc. Plus I love the smells. Put it down as personal preference I guess

-White Colgate toothpaste. It's a love/hate relationship but I stick with it. I sometimes hate how strong it is, how thirsty it makes me and that I feel like I'm brushing with chalk sometimes. But I'll be damned if it doesn't do the best job of any toothpaste I've ever used and if my mouth isn't actually squeaky clean. I can run my tongue along a tooth and the SOB actually squeaks. My breath is fresh, my teeth are whitened and I have no cavities. I don't have to love it but I'm not going to argue with results.
Swashy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Swashy wrote:I've got a few "no compromises" and a couple have already been said but I'm more a creature of habit that just sticks with what he knows. Like Heinz ketchup... I buy it because I know it's good. Maybe I'll switch it up someday but I know what I'm getting and that's why I stick with it. Soft toilet paper is a must. I'm not gonna wipe with sandpaper. To hell with that.

-Old Spice products. It's not everyone's favorite but I absolutely love it. I must get at least one complement a week about how good I smell just by showering with the body wash and using the same brand of deodorant i.e Timber deodorant with Timber body wash, Swagger with Swagger etc. Plus I love the smells. Put it down as personal preference I guess

-White Colgate toothpaste. It's a love/hate relationship but I stick with it. I sometimes hate how strong it is, how thirsty it makes me and that I feel like I'm brushing with chalk sometimes. But I'll be damned if it doesn't do the best job of any toothpaste I've ever used and if my mouth isn't actually squeaky clean. I can run my tongue along a tooth and the SOB actually squeaks. My breath is fresh, my teeth are whitened and I have no cavities. I don't have to love it but I'm not going to argue with results.

Two things.

One. old spice fucked with the original round stick formula. It's not what it used to be. They are dead to me. Now I'm back to goddamned Speed Stick.

Two. Everyone who read your post ran their tongue over their teeth while they read it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Public Service Announcement: Axe body spray is not a substitute for a shower. I'm looking at you Rocker.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:56 pm

**** Old Spice..That stuff damn near gave me a chemical burn..

I like Timber as well..But it wasn't​ quite strong enough (only 18.2%)...So I got the "stronger version"..Bad idea..

Felt like a nuclear reactor mixed with broken glass..
Super K

Postby Super K » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Swashy wrote:I've got a few "no compromises" and a couple have already been said but I'm more a creature of habit that just sticks with what he knows. Like Heinz ketchup... I buy it because I know it's good. Maybe I'll switch it up someday but I know what I'm getting and that's why I stick with it. Soft toilet paper is a must. I'm not gonna wipe with sandpaper. To hell with that.

Two things.

One. old spice fucked with the original round stick formula. It's not what it used to be. They are dead to me. Now I'm back to goddamned Speed Stick.

Try Tom's of Maine Naturally dry..

Smells good, works well (21%), no irritation..

It's one of my "snob" items now..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Two things.

Try Tom's of Maine Naturally dry..

Smells good, works well (21%), no irritation..

It's one of my "snob" items now..

I would do the deoderant rather than the antiperspirant. Anti perspirant makes my pits itch like a mofo.

sidebar: they really shouldn't call it "deoderant". It doesn't remove an odor, it applies a different odor. It should be called Oderant.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm

/smell good discussion
Kress

Postby Selmon Rules » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I shot in the mid eighties once...

Then I played the back nine.

Actually, I love to play without keeping score. Play golf, man. **** the score. Not like you are threatening the course record anyway. Enjoy ****ing around outside.

I shot a 37 on the back 9 here once to finish up a round of 90.... I ain't what you'd call the model of consistency, lol

I enjoy playing and play every Saturday morning once the prices go down in May, usually in the mid 90's. Have an old set of Callaways with Taylor driver and 3 wood....
Selmon Rules

Next

Return to Off Topic