***OFFICIAL*** apostrophe discussion thread

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
***OFFICIAL*** apostrophe discussion thread

Postby Kress » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 am

I was just behind this car where the woman driving it decided to write a message on the back window using that grease marker stuff. It said:

Love
Trumps
Hate

At least, that's what I think she wanted it to say. The "Trump" word was in a different color, and given every other profiling criteria of the person, it appeared to me that it was meant as a statement about peace, unity, and her general hatred of the Donald, etc....

Here is the problem. People today like to put apostrophes on anything that ends in an s. I go to a grocery store, and I see: "Melon's $0.99." So that 99 cents belongs to the melon? Anyway, this woman is apparently one of those people. So what she actually wrote was:

Love
Trump's
Hate

It at least made me laugh.
Kress

Re: ***OFFICIAL*** apostrophe discussion thread

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:45 am

Assuming your profiling is correct, it is funny. However, that second version does make sense.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:08 pm

What's to discuss?
Love Trumps Hate = Love is greater than hate, or, love beats hate.
Love Trump's Hate = I love that Trump hates stuff.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Buc2 wrote:What's to discuss?

Kress wrote:Here is the problem. People today like to put apostrophes on anything that ends in an s. I go to a grocery store, and I see: "Melon's $0.99." So that 99 cents belongs to the melon?

Don't worry. The education system will be fixed soon.
NYBF

Postby Kress » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 pm

NYBF wrote:Assuming your profiling is correct

4 bumper stickers: 1 Coexist, 2 Obama (1 for each term), and 1 Hillary. Then the political grease marker writing on the back window of the old model Camry.

I think that I nailed it. (That's what he said.).
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:43 pm

NYBF wrote:

Kress wrote:Here is the problem. People today like to put apostrophes on anything that ends in an s. I go to a grocery store, and I see: "Melon's $0.99." So that 99 cents belongs to the melon?

So public schools are going to start letting the teachers actually teach again instead of just prepping kids to take a standardized test that is geared towards passing kids that can't/won't learn? Kids can be flunked and disciplined instead of coddled, tolerated and presented with participation diplomas? On the other side, parents are going to get involved in their children's education and start supporting their kids schools instead of blaming the schools when their kids come out stupid as **** after 12 years? Until the "one size fits all" mentality goes away, the public education system is going to remain as fucked up as it is now.

Edit to add: I've been fortunate to be involved with my granddaughter's public education since she started kindergarten. She's in 7th grade this year. If it weren't for the advanced classes she's taking in English, math and science, I'd be seriously worried about the quality of her education. The advanced classes are the only saving grace, especially considering the profession she wants to get into.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Buc2 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

So public schools are going to start letting the teachers actually teach again instead of just prepping kids to take a standardized test that is geared towards passing kids that can't/won't learn? Kids can be flunked and disciplined instead of coddled, tolerated and presented with participation diplomas? On the other side, parents are going to get involved in their children's education and start supporting their kids schools instead of blaming the schools when their kids come out stupid as **** after 12 years? Until the "one size fits all" mentality goes away, the public education system is going to remain as fucked up as it is now.

Edit to add: I've been fortunate to be involved with my granddaughter's public education since she started kindergarten. She's in 7th grade this year. If it weren't for the advanced classes she's taking in English, math and science, I'd be seriously worried about the quality of her education. The advanced classes are the only saving grace, especially considering the profession she wants to get into.

Maybe once it's fixed you can go back and figure out what we're discussing here.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Kress wrote:
NYBF wrote:Assuming your profiling is correct

4 bumper stickers: 1 Coexist, 2 Obama (1 for each term), and 1 Hillary. Then the political grease marker writing on the back window of the old model Camry.

I think that I nailed it. (That's what he said.).

Yeah, sounds about right. That's hysterical. That's a pretty timely incident where the apostrophe usage pretty much makes it mean the opposite of the intended meaning.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:00 pm

NYBF wrote:
Buc2 wrote:So public schools are going to start letting the teachers actually teach again instead of just prepping kids to take a standardized test that is geared towards passing kids that can't/won't learn? Kids can be flunked and disciplined instead of coddled, tolerated and presented with participation diplomas? On the other side, parents are going to get involved in their children's education and start supporting their kids schools instead of blaming the schools when their kids come out stupid as **** after 12 years? Until the "one size fits all" mentality goes away, the public education system is going to remain as fucked up as it is now.

Maybe once it's fixed you can go back and figure out what we're discussing here.

I already said my piece about the apostrophe in my 1st post. My 2nd post was in response to your flippant statement on the education system being fixed soon with the, not so veiled, stab at the new Sec of Ed. So what did you mean by "education system" and I will try to re-answer.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Moozician » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:24 pm

Kress wrote:
Here is the problem. People today like to put apostrophes on anything that ends in an s. I go to a grocery store, and I see: "Melon's $0.99." So that 99 cents belongs to the melon? Anyway, this woman is apparently one of those people.

Jealous because YOU don't get the additional "s"?
Moozician

Postby Kress » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Kress's's's initial post remain's valid.
Kress

Postby Kress » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Buc2 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I already said my piece about the apostrophe in my 1st post. My 2nd post was in response to your flippant statement on the education system being fixed soon with the, not so veiled, stab at the new Sec of Ed. So what did you mean by "education system" and I will try to re-answer.

He wanted you to follow the thread, and not just state the blatantly obvious in complete ignorance and/or oblivious disregard of it.

Maybe.

But I'll leave that up to the 8th grade advanced English class students to figure out. Maybe bump this thread next year and we can revisit.

Kthxbye
Kress

Postby Noles1724 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 am

Is this a mdb thread?
Noles1724

Postby Kress » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:17 pm

You would have to write that as "an mdb thread." The pronunciation of the letter "m" starts with a vowel sound, which can understandably get confusing to non-delt LEGEND FSU fans since the letter "m" is a consonant, but still - the article there should be "an." Try to keep up.

But I guess that common non-delt FSU LEGEND mistake should be the subject of a different thread.
Kress

Postby NYBF » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Buc2 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

In your first post, you explained what anyone with half a brain knows. Kress didn't start the thread to ask someone to define what the sentences meant.

In your first post, the first thing you asked was

I told you what there was to discuss. I don't think you're still in elementary school, so the current EdSec should have no bearing on your education. If you can't follow the discussion, go back to the politics forum so you guys can all just line up across from each other and scream.
NYBF

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Get a room, Jesus!!!

Watch your wallet Kress, and I hope Loser doesn't expect a big dingy up his keester...... :lol: :lol:

Otherwise it's perfect.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Exactly. What Obama couldn't do in 8 years, it's pathetic President Trump hasn't fixed education in the first few weeks. :lol: :lol:

As I said, this generation's Ronald Reagan.

PS - Miley and Whoopie have a podcast coming up, time to learn more about politics you guys. :lol: :lol:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Buc2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 pm

NYBF wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I already said my piece about the apostrophe in my 1st post. My 2nd post was in response to your flippant statement on the education system being fixed soon with the, not so veiled, stab at the new Sec of Ed. So what did you mean by "education system" and I will try to re-answer.

In your first post, you explained what anyone with half a brain knows. Kress didn't start the thread to ask someone to define what the sentences meant.

In your first post, the first thing you asked was

I told you what there was to discuss. I don't think you're still in elementary school, so the current EdSec should have no bearing on your education. If you can't follow the discussion, go back to the politics forum so you guys can all just line up across from each other and scream.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Kress » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:Watch your wallet Kress.

I was trying to, but Slim threw a pair of his grundies over the Webcam. Now all I can see is some ominous-looking polka-dot pattern. Or is it a Star Wars theme? It's really tough to tell.

The damn things can't focus in that closely. We learned that life lesson from the BFT debacle.
Kress

Return to Off Topic