All Things Beer

General Discussion on any Off Topic subject
All Things Beer

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:29 pm

I know we had some craft beer fans on the other board(s). And I don't think we have a beer thread. Quick look around tells me the only beer-related thread is Grim's Homebrew-sponsored history thread. This being one of the rare Friday nights I'm not working at my other job, I figured I'd start one.

I wanted the thread title to be somewhat open because I subscribe to the like what you xxxx theory. Like what you drink, drink what you like. Same with smoke. Same with whatever. I'm not going to tell you you're an idiot because you drink Coors Light or smoke Acid Blondies. If you enjoy it, do it. And maybe you're interested in something else, but going to most bars is either intimidating for someone new to craft beer, or it's like asking Helen Keller to pick out the green crayon. I can't tell you how many restaurants I've been to where their menu says to ask their server about their craft beer selections, and when I ask I get a deer in headlights look. And it's not the fault of the servers - they don't get the proper training.

All that being said, if you've got any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer the best I can. If I can't, maybe someone else here can. But even outside of a Q&A thread, what are you drinking right now?

I'm drinking some Palo Santo Marron: http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/th ... marron.htm

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

This highly roasty and malty brown ale clocks in at 12% ABV. A huge hit at our Rehoboth Beach brewpub when first released in November 2006, Palo went into full production at the end of 2007.

At 10,000 gallons, our two Palo tanks are the largest wooden brewing vessels built in America since before Prohibition (and we have three same-sized oak tanks right next to them).

The first time I went to the Dogfish Head brewery I did the full tour. At the end of the tour, at the tasting bar, they've got a piece of this Palo Santo wood, probably 4" x 4" x 18". They leave it there for you to take a whiff and see what it's about, and it's so incredibly dense that you almost drop it when you first pick it up.

I was lucky enough to be in Rehoboth Beach in August, 2011. I grabbed a bunch of this beer fresh off the bottling line. And it was incredible. Sat a few bottles in the cellar to see how they come along, and forgot about them. Wife is out tonight with her friends, figured I'd beer geek out a little. I grabbed one tonight to drink next to some of the 2014 release. The newer version the wood is front and center. The beer is almost chewy. The older beer, the wood has subsided a bit, letting a molasses sweetness come up front.

After drinking 2 - 12% beers (plus other assorted beverages tonight), it took longer than it should have to word this description so I wasn't nominated for OOCA.

tl;dr: **** you, heathen. Go back and read it.
NYBF

Re: All Things Beer

Postby The Outsider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:32 am

Drinking a 90 minute right now. Got some Jai Alai in the fridge as well. Cigar City really does some nice beers.
The Outsider

Postby Kress » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:01 am

NYBF wrote:This being one of the rare Friday nights I'm not working at my other job, I figured I'd ... be somewhat open. I subscribe to the ... theory ... if you enjoy it, do it. And maybe you're interested in something else, ... like ... Helen Keller.

The first time I ... got ... this ... wood, probably 4" x 4" x 18". Take a whiff and see what it's about, it's so incredibly dense that you almost drop it when you first pick it up. I was lucky enough to ... grab a bunch. It was incredible. Wife is out tonight with her friends, .... I grabbed one tonight and .... the wood is front and center. ... Almost chewy. The older one, the wood has subsided a bit, letting a molasses sweetness come up front.

You cannot dodge the OOCA.
Kress

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Drinking a Dirty Bastard made by Founders Brewing, dark beer with a kick but not harsh at all....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:06 pm

Drinking Yuengling....because money.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:35 am

Been on a heineken fix the last week or so
Heisenberg

Postby Teitan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:23 am

Killed the last of my Jai alai last night.
Teitan

Postby bucfanfromky » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:28 am

My local liquor store just started offering a create your own variety pack option after bugging him for months about it.

I've always stuck on Bud Light but wanted to try different things. I've learned I hate IPAs. I've tried the Lagunitas IPA and Dogfish Head IPA.

One for beer y'all need to find if you end up in the Lexington, KY area is beers made by Country Boy specifically the Shotgun Wedding.
bucfanfromky

Postby Teitan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:18 am

bucfanfromky wrote:My local liquor store just started offering a create your own variety pack option after bugging him for months about it.

I've always stuck on Bud Light but wanted to try different things. I've learned I hate IPAs. I've tried the Lagunitas IPA and Dogfish Head IPA.

One for beer y'all need to find if you end up in the Lexington, KY area is beers made by Country Boy specifically the Shotgun Wedding.

Do they sell it in the local stores in Ky? Only place I go up there is the Edgewood area. Lexington is a bit far.
Teitan

Postby Kress » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:30 pm

My general cold weather go-to has always been a good old fashioned Guinness, but I've recently switched over to Murphy's Stout. Much better. I guess I would describe it as a bit nuttier, but in a good way. (OOCA).
Kress

Postby HamBone » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Sitting in a bar on the beach in Mission Beach about to try the Stumblefoot Muchas Grassy Ass IPA.
HamBone

Postby bucfanfromky » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Teitan wrote:
bucfanfromky wrote:My local liquor store just started offering a create your own variety pack option after bugging him for months about it.

Do they sell it in the local stores in Ky? Only place I go up there is the Edgewood area. Lexington is a bit far.

It should be available in some stores near there. I live in western KY and only get it when I go see my buddy up at UK because they don't sell it on my side of the state. Shotgun Wedding is a dark beer with vanilla bean in it. I didn't think I'd like it but its actually my all time favorite. Another one to try that a lot of people talk about is Cougar Bait made by the same brewery.
bucfanfromky

Postby 2.0 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:37 pm

Currently drankin Budweiser

Postby The Outsider » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:16 pm

Hittin that Jai Alai again. Damn good IPA. Though I do have a 12er of Fat Tire in the fridge.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:06 am

Did the Shock Top winter variety pack over the weekend. Wheat beers are a bit of an acquired taste and Blue Moon is way ahead of Shock Top in terms of Belgian White ales, but there is a beer in there that is worth a try.

Generally, I am into beer flavored beer, but this one is pretty cool as it tastes like a frickin' pretzel. It's pretty tasty and it's a damned shame there's only 3 of them.

This one however, is garbage and I only know of one chick who likes it.

so if you do that variety pack, you gotta take the bad with the good.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:05 pm

I don't know why more places don't do this. When I was in North Carolina on vacation a couple years ago, the local supermarket did this. Gave me the chance to try a whole bunch of different beers, both local and some not distributed to NY, and figure out what I liked and what I didn't. I was then able to load up on what I liked to bring home.
NYBF

Postby bucfanfromky » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:12 pm

NYBF wrote:

I don't know why more places don't do this. When I was in North Carolina on vacation a couple years ago, the local supermarket did this. Gave me the chance to try a whole bunch of different beers, both local and some not distributed to NY, and figure out what I liked and what I didn't. I was then able to load up on what I liked to bring home.

Totally agree. I moved from a town that has a Kroger that did it and every weekend that thing was picked through until it was barely anything left. Granted they didn't have anything too great just a mix up of your most common beers.

When I talked the local guy into it he was worried because he would be losing money on it. However, he did admit being at a loss when selling the mix and match beers but it's created an interest in the larger sizes of different beers. So in the end he's losing money on the single beers but has hit a gold mine being able to sell larger packs of different higher end beers.

I gotta give props to the guy though because he went all out on offering a good selection and has amassed a **** ton of craft beer to choose from. 80% of it being stuff I've never had a chance to try until now.
bucfanfromky

Postby Kress » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:21 pm

For those of you in the St. Pete area, go to Rollin' Oats to do that. It is a hippy/granola type of place that specializes in organics, but they have an ass-kicking beer selection and will let you create your own mixed cases. On 9th Street just north of 22nd Avenue.

Edit: I remember hearing that they opened a Tampa location, but I've never been there so I don't know if it has a comparable selection or does things the same way. I would have to assume so, but who knows.
Kress

Postby The Outsider » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:32 pm

Kress wrote:For those of you in the St. Pete area, go to Rollin' Oats to do that. It is a hippy/granola type of place that specializes in organics, but they have an ass-kicking beer selection and will let you create your own mixed cases. On 9th Street just north of 22nd Avenue.

Edit: I remember hearing that they opened a Tampa location, but I've never been there so I don't know if it has a comparable selection or does things the same way. I would have to assume so, but who knows.

Pretty much all Publix stores do this as well.
The Outsider

Postby Avalanche » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Drinking Yuengling....because money.

Even though PDX has some great alcohol selection, damn I miss a good Yuengling from the freezer and a dutchy on a Florida summer day.

That and Publix subs...
Avalanche

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Happy Friday

Mountaineer Buc

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Went to a beer tasting a few weeks ago. This was the menu.

Overall I was impressed. I'm not a big IPA fan, but New Belgium makes a decent product.
IchabodCrane84

Postby NYBF » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:14 pm

How was that milkshake?
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Rampant and 1554 are two of my favorite beers. I like pretty much everything New Belgium puts out.
The Outsider

Postby bucfanclw » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Kress wrote:For those of you in the St. Pete area, go to Rollin' Oats to do that. It is a hippy/granola type of place that specializes in organics, but they have an ass-kicking beer selection and will let you create your own mixed cases. On 9th Street just north of 22nd Avenue.

Have you tried Rapp Brewing off Bryan Dairy yet? Their Double IPA is fantastic, and they also have a very good chocolate peanut butter stout.
bucfanclw

Postby Alpha » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 am

The Outsider wrote:Hittin that Jai Alai again. Damn good IPA. Though I do have a 12er of Fat Tire in the fridge.

Cigar City, babe.

Cigar City beers.

Jai-Lai IPA
Maduro Dark Ale
Invasion Pale Ale
Florida Cracker (white ale)

About 10 others
Beats Fat Tire like a narc at a biker rally...
Alpha

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:58 am

NYBF wrote:How was that milkshake?

I was skeptical, but it was awesome!
IchabodCrane84

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:45 am

Alpha wrote:Beats Fat Tire like a narc at a biker rally...

That's high praise because Fat Tire is pretty fuckin' good.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:05 pm

bucfanclw wrote:

Have you tried Rapp Brewing off Bryan Dairy yet? Their Double IPA is fantastic, and they also have a very good chocolate peanut butter stout.

I had never even heard of it, but I'll certainly check it out. Thanks.
Kress

Postby Buc2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:36 pm

There are a few stores here where you can create your own variety pack. Hell, even Kroger's lets you do that.

This was a Christmas gift I received this year. I wish I could remember the names of them. I wrote them down, but I don't have access to them at work.

I love going to local beer festivals. They really give you a good opportunity to find stuff you like. Well, till you get too buzzed to give a **** anymore.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Next

Return to Off Topic